Trump attacks protections for refugees from ‘sh**thole’ countries in Oval Office
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 03:26:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump attacks protections for refugees from ‘sh**thole’ countries in Oval Office
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16
Author Topic: Trump attacks protections for refugees from ‘sh**thole’ countries in Oval Office  (Read 29337 times)
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2018, 08:13:36 PM »

While I wouldn’t have said what he said. Who cares he’s not wrong the best country’s our mostly in Europe and the Americas. I don’t think he said anything racist now if he said this......
You must be logged in to read this quote.

That would be a actual story and I would be on here saying he must resign but what trump actually said isn’t wrong or that bad.

The problem is less that he called them sh**tholes. It's more that he doesn't want immigrants from sh**tholes.

I can guarantee you some Dems in Congress have called these countries sh**tholes before. They use it now as a chance to politicize the comment, again id politics which really turns people off from the Dems.

Your moderate darling "both sides" side is showing.

We'll I am a moderate so it would. Voted Dems and Repubs before.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2018, 08:13:42 PM »

It's worth noting that white supremacists hold the Nordic countries in high regard and co-opt the cultural. That is because it has the whitest ancestry of anywhere. If you run across them on social media they often have names that contain the word "north" or are related to Norse mythology.

It's either that, or they see the Nordic countries (or at least Sweden) for being sh*tholes themselves for letting in spooky scary Muslims.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2018, 08:14:55 PM »

"I voted for Trump but I also voted a Democrat for county coroner, so I am a moderate"
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2018, 08:15:19 PM »

I think Trump made it pretty clear that only whites are welcome to the US of A.
How long till he advocates the reinstatement of Jim Crow?

You honestly think Trump would have some huge qualm with a Japanese lawyer or Brazilian doctor coming to the United States?

Yes, I really do.  Maybe not a Japanese one, but certainly a Brazilian doctor or lawyer.  So would the majority of Republicans, for that matter.

Only lawyers, but we have enough lawyers already anyway.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2018, 08:17:03 PM »

So saying that failed states or borderline failed states are sh**thole countries is now racist, xenophobic, yada, yada now? Wow these people are soft. I wonder if they have actually done the research on these countries or actually have been there.

Even if we ignore the racism/xenophobia aspect, it is still in no way appropriate for the President of the United States to call countries "sh*tholes." Besides being crass and vulgar, this will undoubtedly further damage American credibility and soft power on the world stage. Imagine the diplomatic fallout if Trump included Pakistan or India in that quote.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2018, 08:18:51 PM »

My problem with Trump's comment is the context. I'm all for border security, he says that we shouldn't accept refuges from sh**thole countries when they're suffering from a humanitarian crisis. I may be dovish but I'm not isolationist.  
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2018, 08:20:22 PM »

Or it could be that he met with the Prime Minister of Norway yesterday.

Bingo. This is why he said Norway rather than some other European country. His attention span is too short to remember any other European countries off the top of his head.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2018, 08:23:34 PM »

This probably helps more than it hurts, although it’s pretty disgusting
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2018, 08:24:08 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2018, 08:34:53 PM by anvi »

Collective waah waah waah. Most Americans would agree with what Trump said re these failed states.

I'm quite sure the so-called "majority of Americans" you are appealing to would have said the same things about Irving Berlin, Jerry Yang, Andrew Ly, Mel Martinez, Andy Grove, Ahmad Meradji, and many others.  Seriously, why do you, and others like you, assume out of hand that immigrants and refugees from poor or politically chaotic countries will come to the U.S. only to make trouble and be leeches, when as a matter of fact many of them have made themselves into American icons and resources of national wealth, inspiration and success?  And, since you don't know who will be potentially great contributors to the country at the outset, what is the justification for slamming the door on them all?  I can't help but add that, even as he signed the 1986 Immigration Reform and Control Act, president Reagan would never have spoken like the current occupant of the Oval Office about immigration.  Instead, in his farewell speech to the country, he clarified what he meant in quoting Winthrop's "Shining City on a Hill," "a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still."  

Trump is, after all, not just calling these countries sh**tholes, but asking at the same time why we have to allow anyone from them here.  Making no distinction between the political chaos of counties and their victims.  Waah, waah, waah on that.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2018, 08:24:29 PM »

Or it could be that he met with the Prime Minister of Norway yesterday.

Bingo. This is why he said Norway rather than some other European country. His attention span is too short to remember any other European countries off the top of his head.

Context matters. Maybe if this was said by someone else, we could give them the benefit of doubt. But this is Donald Frickin' Trump, who's probably the most explicitly racist president we had since Woodrow Wilson, so even if that circumstance played a factor, it doesn't negate the racism he expressed in that statement.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2018, 08:27:47 PM »

A NEW BREAKING, ADDITIONAL QUOTE FROM THE ORANGE SLUG ...
From CNN's Jim Acosta.

In meeting, Trump asked, "Why do we need more Haitians? Take them out," source says.

A source familiar with the Oval Office meeting said President Trump, referring to the administration's temporary protected status for Haitians, said “Why do we need more Haitians? Take them out."

Trump had expressed frustration behind closed doors with people coming to the US from "sh**thole countries," sources told CNN on today.
Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2018, 08:30:42 PM »

While I wouldn’t have said what he said. Who cares he’s not wrong the best country’s our mostly in Europe and the Americas. I don’t think he said anything racist now if he said this......

That would be a actual story and I would be on here saying he must resign but what trump actually said isn’t wrong or that bad.

The problem is less that he called them sh**tholes. It's more that he doesn't want immigrants from sh**tholes.

I can guarantee you some Dems in Congress have called these countries sh**tholes before. They use it now as a chance to politicize the comment, again id politics which really turns people off from the Dems.
Exactly.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2018, 08:32:10 PM »

I don't see what the big deal is. Some parts of Africa are not places you want to live. Even some parts of the U.S. are horrible. Stop overprojecting. He slightly has a point. Everywhere has crapholes.

When you are president, you cannot refer to other countries during a backroom policy discussion, no matter how impoverished they are, as being s***holes. Period.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2018, 08:33:16 PM »

"I voted for Trump but I also voted a Democrat for county coroner, so I am a moderate"

I voted for McCain, local and congressional Virginia republicans when I was in college and voted Hillary after I got back from my last deployment in '16. But nice try.  Also straight Dem in the Virginia elections in November.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2018, 08:34:12 PM »

I don't see what the big deal is. Some parts of Africa are not places you want to live. Even some parts of the U.S. are horrible. Stop overprojecting. He slightly has a point. Everywhere has crapholes.

When you are president, you cannot refer to other countries during a backroom policy discussion, no matter how impoverished they are, as being s***holes. Period.

This
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2018, 08:35:00 PM »

SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2018, 08:36:34 PM »

This

But if your say Johnson, it is ok to say "I'll have these n***ers voting Dem for the next 100 years" and that passes muster. Ok....
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2018, 08:42:33 PM »

This

But if your say Johnson, it is ok to say "I'll have these n***ers voting Dem for the next 100 years" and that passes muster. Ok....

It does not pass muster.  Johnson was a jerk-off.  But there is still a difference.  Johnson, despite his un-presidentai mouth and the hypocrisy and self-serving nature of his shifting positions, at least ended up benefitting disadvantaged African Americans in the end.  Trump looks at refugees, and says: "hey, your country is in political and economic chaos, so screw you too."  And that's all he will ever do.
Keep cool-idge
United States

« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2018, 08:46:24 PM »

This

The ONLY reason Johnson signed the civil rights and voting rights acts into law was because he knew they would win 80+% of the black vote.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2018, 08:46:25 PM »

This

It does not pass muster.  Johnson was a jerk-off .....

Exactly.
Why would anyone say that a comment like that would "pass muster?"
VirginiaModerate ..... come back down to planet Earth. Your comments are way, way out in left field.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2018, 08:46:46 PM »

Worth noting that the LBJ claim that he said he'd have blacks voting Democrat for 100 years has not been proven.

https://www.snopes.com/lbj-voting-democratic/
Keep cool-idge
United States

« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2018, 08:47:56 PM »

Raise your hand if you're from a sh*thole country! 🙋
So are you saying that you hate America? If you do I would be honored to buy you a one way plane ticket to either Cuba,Haiti or Iran.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2018, 08:48:11 PM »

Has someone informed him that America is one of the primary reasons why most of those countries are "sh**tholes"?
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2018, 08:49:44 PM »

Our white supremacist president is becoming even less subtle as the days go on. First it's "African huts" and "Haitians with AIDS." Now Haiti and El Salvador are "s**thole counties" and we should instead take in immigrants from Norway. If you fail to see the subtext here, then you ought to remove the fingers from your ears.

I think Trump made it pretty clear that only whites are welcome to the US of A.
How long till he advocates the reinstatement of Jim Crow?

That's what the "voter fraud" dogwhistle meant.
This confirms what we know about the s**thead occupying 1600.
Keep cool-idge
United States

« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2018, 08:49:59 PM »

Congrats democrats real winner you have here.
For example, he reportedly referred to the Civil Rights Act of 1957 as the “n bill” in more than one private phone conversation with Senate colleagues President LBJ.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies