Stuck in a house with...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 01:58:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Stuck in a house with...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: Stuck in a house with...  (Read 12955 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2005, 11:31:32 PM »

dazzleman. i took a break from drinking.

i was drinking too much.  at the time i knew i needed to at least cut back.  i figured it would be just as hard to cut back as it would be to quit all together.  i decided to quit, thinking it would be harder than it turned out.

it was a breeze.  so, i know im not addicted to the stuff so i should be able to drink responsibly.  now i have a drink once a week.  so far, ive been able to manage that. im confident i can continue to do so.  if i find myself slipping back into my old routine...ive promised myself ill definitely quit for good.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2005, 11:32:15 PM »

[

In all seriousness, it is a matter of responsibility.  I think it's OK to drink and even get a little drunk, as long as you don't drive or do anything really bad.

Saying it's ok to get drunk yet drinking is a matter of personal responsibility makes no sense.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm sorry you don't see the relevance then. Our values play a role in stuff like this.

And that is where I lost respect for you. Total loss of respect. I hate when people think that I think I'm perfect. I hate when people think that I am preachy. If you only knew half of my life maybe you would rethink what you just posted. God forbid I post something where I might say what you're doing is morally wrong! Oh no! I'm not looking down on you. I am not preachy. Like I said, if you would have seen some real life experiences dealing with certain things I think you would change your opinion of me real quick but I honestly don't care anymore what people have to say about me here. Am I preachy? Alright, whatever. Am I perfect? Of course.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2005, 11:34:45 PM »

phil, why should your 'values' apply to everyone else?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2005, 11:35:39 PM »

Because, simply put, I am better than you.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2005, 11:38:30 PM »

w/e
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2005, 11:43:10 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2005, 11:45:57 PM by dazzleman »

One day you will find Phil that you are not quite as perfect as you may think you are.  We are all capable of mistakes, and of doing the wrong thing at times, but there are venial shortcomings and major ones.  The jaywalker and the murderer both break the law, but one is far more serious.  There needs to be a sense of scale and proportion to these things.

And that is where I lost respect for you. Total loss of respect. I hate when people think that I think I'm perfect. I hate when people think that I am preachy. If you only knew half of my life maybe you would rethink what you just posted. God forbid I post something where I might say what you're doing is morally wrong! Oh no! I'm not looking down on you. I am not preachy. Like I said, if you would have seen some real life experiences dealing with certain things I think you would change your opinion of me real quick but I honestly don't care anymore what people have to say about me here. Am I preachy? Alright, whatever. Am I perfect? Of course.

Are you going crazy?  Seriously?  You know as much about my life as I know about yours, so don't pass judgment on me, and then when I respond tell me that I don't know anything about you.  You don't know anything about me either, buddy.

And nobody is being the slightest bit critical of you.  It is you who are being critical of other people.  I have been one of your better friends here, and you respond by attacking me.  Thanks.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2005, 11:44:56 PM »

Because, simply put, I am better than you.

being better than me is nothing to brag about,

but you still havent answered my question.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2005, 11:45:21 PM »

Are you going crazy?  Seriously?  You know as much about my life as I know about yours, so don't pass judgment on me, and then when I respond tell me that I don't know anything about you.  You don't know anything about me either, buddy.

I know from your posts that you justify something that really shouldn't be acceptable. You just have a problem with me calling you out on your hypocrisy so you throw around the "preachy" label. I am convinced that even when I'm dealing with my fellow conservatives I can't stand for something without being preachy.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2005, 11:46:28 PM »

but you still havent answered my question.

Oh well that's because I never intended to.

I am convinced that no matter what I believe I am going to be preachy so it really serves no purpose for me to waste time posting it.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2005, 11:47:37 PM »

I know from your posts that you justify something that really shouldn't be acceptable. You just have a problem with me calling you out on your hypocrisy so you throw around the "preachy" label. I am convinced that even when I'm dealing with my fellow conservatives I can't stand for something without being preachy.

I never used the word 'preachy,' man.  We have a difference of opinion.  So be it.  Does that have to mean that I'm a horrible and unworthy person?  Life is not that black and white.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2005, 11:48:13 PM »

WTF?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2005, 11:49:01 PM »

Does that have to mean that I'm a horrible and unworthy person?  Life is not that black and white.

I beg you to find where I said that. Please, I beg you. Like I said, I know people who have done worse but Reverand Phil didn't condemn them.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2005, 11:50:29 PM »

Does that have to mean that I'm a horrible and unworthy person?  Life is not that black and white.

I beg you to find where I said that. Please, I beg you. Like I said, I know people who have done worse but Reverand Phil didn't condemn them.

Tongue  I hope you're a better Reverend that some of the people who currently carry that title!:)  (I'm thinking of a couple of reverends named Jackson and Sharpton.)
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2005, 11:51:11 PM »

Tongue  I hope you're a better Reverend that some of the people who currently carry that title!:)  (I'm thinking of a couple of reverends named Jackson and Sharpton.)
Hey, Reverends James Jackson and Fredrick Sharpton are great. Angry
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2005, 11:51:36 PM »

Yeah, I'd like my post where I said you were a bad person, please.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2005, 11:54:55 PM »

Yeah, I'd like my post where I said you were a bad person, please.

Well, this comes close:

And that is where I lost respect for you. Total loss of respect.

You are clearly adamantly against drinking, and I am not.  Let's just end it there.  There's really no need to go any further with this.  We've been friends before and I'd like to continue to be friends.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2005, 11:56:28 PM »

You are clearly adamantly against drinking, and I am not.  Let's just end it there.  There's really no need to go any further with this.  We've been friends before and I'd like to continue to be friends.

Total loss of respect because you basically said that I think of myself as a perfect individual. I am far from perfect, my friend.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2005, 11:57:14 PM »

dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2005, 11:57:59 PM »

dazzleman. i took a break from drinking.

i was drinking too much.  at the time i knew i needed to at least cut back.  i figured it would be just as hard to cut back as it would be to quit all together.  i decided to quit, thinking it would be harder than it turned out.

it was a breeze.  so, i know im not addicted to the stuff so i should be able to drink responsibly.  now i have a drink once a week.  so far, ive been able to manage that. im confident i can continue to do so.  if i find myself slipping back into my old routine...ive promised myself ill definitely quit for good.

Good for you.  I think so much pain and suffering could be avoided if more people would do what you did, Wally, and make an honest appraisal of their relationship with alcohol before it ruins their life.  A good chunk of my extended (but not immediate) family have been alcoholics, and I know how many problems excessive and uncontrolled drinking, and the denial of the problem, can cause.  You are to be commended.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2005, 12:00:32 AM »

Total loss of respect because you basically said that I think of myself as a perfect individual. I am far from perfect, my friend.

I know that.  Nobody is perfect.  The statement probably came across a little more strongly than I intended it to.  I don't suppose you think of yourself as perfect, but I do think you have a very low threshold to criticize other people such as myself who agree with you on most issues.  If I'm not sufficiently conservative for you, I don't think too many people will be.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2005, 12:04:12 AM »

I know that.  Nobody is perfect.  The statement probably came across a little more strongly than I intended it to.  I don't suppose you think of yourself as perfect, but I do think you have a very low threshold to criticize other people such as myself who agree with you on most issues.  If I'm not sufficiently conservative for you, I don't think too many people will be.

Being an anti-underage drinking person in today's society while still in high school is very tough so when the issue is brought up, I am pretty passionate. I react well to a conservative dismissing the issue as a minor or possible non-problem.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2005, 12:12:38 AM »

Being an anti-underage drinking person in today's society while still in high school is very tough so when the issue is brought up, I am pretty passionate. I react well to a conservative dismissing the issue as a minor or possible non-problem.

You like to argue, don't you man? Smiley  I feel as if this is a conversation with BRTD. Smiley  [I'll take that back -- that was unforgivable.  But I couldn't resist.]

To be honest, I used to be somewhat "stricter" than I am now about these things.  Maybe it's from seeing that most of the "bad" kids turned out fine anyway, a perspective that I didn't have when I was younger.

You have a high standard, and I have always admired that.  I have never really been critical of you even when we've disagreed because I think we could use more people in society with higher standards.  I do think underage drinking is a problem, but probably for different reasons than you do, and where we differ is more in how to best manage the problem, and probably in our perceptions of the severity of the problem.

Do any of the people you hang out with drink, or are your friends a non-drinking crowd?  What about drugs?
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2005, 12:38:50 AM »

Okay, I'd just like to say I wouldn't mind being stuck in the same house with Phil or Dazzleman, just not at the same time. Tongue
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2005, 01:36:33 AM »

Being a prohibitionist is not conservatism it's prudery. Phil, nothing is wrong with drinking on occasion and its not even against the bible. Drinking in excess is the real problem Phil. I'm not going to sit here and preach to you Phil because I think you're a good person but I think that once you get out into the real world and out of your sheltered world you'll understand what I am talking about. And believe me, I was a LOT like you in H/S and I was sheltered like you.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2005, 08:26:43 AM »

Okay, I'd just like to say I wouldn't mind being stuck in the same house with Phil or Dazzleman, just not at the same time. Tongue

Well, I can't say I blame you Casey.  I hate these kinds of arguments myself, and usually avoid getting drawn into them.  But I don't like the implication that I'm a hypocrite and not a real conservative because I don't violently disapprove of drinking in any form.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies