PA-18 Special Election - Lamb by a nose
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:55:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA-18 Special Election - Lamb by a nose
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 103
Author Topic: PA-18 Special Election - Lamb by a nose  (Read 197711 times)
Former Kentuckian
Cal

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2018, 10:02:17 PM »

and lol at people acting like a poll of one congressional district is indicative of an entire state
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2018, 10:10:55 PM »

and lol at people acting like a poll of one congressional district is indicative of an entire state
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2018, 10:14:19 PM »

I’m quite surprised at the margin that Saccone is up by. If the dems lose this by 10 or more it could spell doom for Manchin-Casey-Wolf-Brown-Donnelly because this area trump is still very popular.

This is a textbook case of moving the goalposts. Expectations of Democrats have increased and thus some Republicans, such as yourself, are realigning your benchmarks to unreasonable positions in order to bolster your own opinions. Murphy was winning PA-18 by like 28 points in 2012 while Casey and Manchin won comfortably and in a landslide, respectively. Losing by more than 10 points in this special means none of what you said, Greedo.
But I’m saying that cause trumps approval rating could make or break manchin. If trump goes into PA-OH-WV and attacks those 3 non stop they could lose.

Maybe OH and WV, but not PA. Casey dominates Trump in the state.
Well yeah but I mentioned PA as well since it’s WV in the SW. but if I were manchin I would start to get scared because he didn’t vote for the tax reform it makes it a lot harder for me and trump to support manchin.

Trump campaigning against Manchin could hurt, but it could do near nothing, as seen in AL. It's a wild card.
Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2018, 10:19:36 PM »

I’m quite surprised at the margin that Saccone is up by. If the dems lose this by 10 or more it could spell doom for Manchin-Casey-Wolf-Brown-Donnelly because this area trump is still very popular.

This is a textbook case of moving the goalposts. Expectations of Democrats have increased and thus some Republicans, such as yourself, are realigning your benchmarks to unreasonable positions in order to bolster your own opinions. Murphy was winning PA-18 by like 28 points in 2012 while Casey and Manchin won comfortably and in a landslide, respectively. Losing by more than 10 points in this special means none of what you said, Greedo.
But I’m saying that cause trumps approval rating could make or break manchin. If trump goes into PA-OH-WV and attacks those 3 non stop they could lose.

Well yeah but I mentioned PA as well since it’s WV in the SW. but if I were manchin I would start to get scared because he didn’t vote for the tax reform it makes it a lot harder for me and trump to support manchin.

Trump campaigning against Manchin could hurt, but it could do near nothing, as seen in AL. It's a wild card.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2018, 12:42:09 AM »

More or less "normal" numbers for Appalachia. It may be less admiring of Trump then year ago, but still of rather low opinion about Democratic party as it is.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2018, 10:06:26 AM »

I want to believe that Lamb is a great candidate and Saccone is a terrible candidate etc. but I suppose this is the kind of district where you would expect Trump support to be most durable.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2018, 11:20:24 AM »

Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2018, 11:56:17 AM »

I'm expecting Saccone to win by 10 but if tax reform is underperforming Trump approvals, I'm not too concerned about a tax reform bump.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2018, 12:03:42 PM »

Ok... in all honesty, given the variance in the AL polling that we just saw, how can anyone even think this poll has any meaning? Alabama ranged from Jones +10 to Moore +9. Given that it's a CD and not a state, why would this poll be considered a sign of anything?
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2018, 01:55:19 PM »

We still have long time to go and keep in mind this is still vintage Gravis people. Plus, the assumption that Manchin is supposedly in trouble due to this is silly.
Hoosier_Nick
Nicholas_Roberts
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -7.22

« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2018, 05:01:25 PM »

Good poll. Not only does it show a massive shift given how much Trump won the district by, it shows that if turnout favors Democrats enough (which evidence shows there is a good chance of happening), this district is in play. At this point I'd be really surprised if Saccone wins by more than 10, in part since that hasn't even been done by a single other special federal election. Still pinning this race at Lean R, though much closer to Likely R than Tilt R. Democrats need to hope this district stays under the radar like SC-05 or KS-04 for a close result and hope that it's not a repeat of GA-06. 
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2018, 08:36:33 PM »

lmao, I'm sure Manchin is gravely concerned about some socially maladjusted teenager from Washington's opinion of him.

He should be concerned with something even worse though: WV voters.

He has a better approval rating than Shelley Moore Capito: https://morningconsult.com/2017/10/31/americas-most-and-least-popular-senators-october-2017/

We'll see what that looks like after the ads and Trump attacks start.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2018, 08:37:44 PM »

IceSpear, before you start calling results months before an election again, may I just remind you of Alabama. Tongue
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2018, 08:41:05 PM »

IceSpear, before you start calling results months before an election again, may I just remind you of Alabama. Tongue

I didn't call it, actually. I changed my rating from Safe R to Lean R. Wink
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2018, 08:43:13 PM »

I didn't call it, actually. I changed my rating from Safe R to Lean R. Wink

Hmm.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2018, 09:30:09 PM »

We still have long time to go and keep in mind this is still vintage Gravis people. Plus, the assumption that Manchin is supposedly in trouble due to this is silly.

This. Manchin has also easily barnstormed reelection when the GOP held well over double the lead this poll shows now in this district, this sh!t is simply not connected, nice try though!
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2018, 10:48:12 PM »

Murphy’s closest race was in 2006, a Democrat wave election.   He was also accused of illegally using District office employees to work in his campaign .  He won 58% to 42%.  Last year Trump won 58.1% to 38.5%.  So, is the bench mark for Saccone not 58%?    In that case right now Saccone is 12% short of 58% and Lamb is 8% short of 42%.  Saccone is also getting 14% of Democrats.

By the way In 2014 Corbett beat Wolf 54.9 to 45.1.  Wolf could be as big a drag as Trump.  Even in 2012 Obama lost 57.9 % to 41% and Casey lost 53.4% to 44.

I am not saying Lamb cannot climb the hill.  But it will not be easy. Even in a flood the GOP will not lose every seat

Also, if Saccone wins, that still does mean there will not be a wave.  I would suggest my Democrat friends here not place a lot of emotional energy in this race. 
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2018, 10:54:10 PM »

Murphy’s closest race was in 2006, a Democrat wave election.   He was also accused of illegally using District office employees to work in his campaign .  He won 58% to 42%.  Last year Trump won 58.1% to 38.5%.  So, is the bench mark for Saccone not 58%?    In that case right now Saccone is 12% short of 58% and Lamb is 8% short of 42%.  Saccone is also getting 14% of Democrats.

By the way In 2014 Corbett beat Wolf 54.9 to 45.1.  Wolf could be as big a drag as Trump.  Even in 2012 Obama lost 57.9 % to 41% and Casey lost 53.4% to 44.

I am not saying Lamb cannot climb the hill.  But it will not be easy. Even in a flood the GOP will not lose every seat

Also, if Saccone wins, that still does mean there will not be a wave.  I would suggest my Democrat friends here not place a lot of emotional energy in this race. 

Very good post, actually I am surprised, good job. I'd say the Republican benchmark should be about 56%. Anything lower than that would be embarrassing.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2018, 11:37:25 PM »

I would agree on not investing too much emotional energy but it's worth keeping an eye on due to Republicans quickly and forcefully injecting themselves into this election. Might not be because this seat is vulnerable, or maybe it is, but it could be to try to halt movement against them elsewhere outside this district.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2018, 11:52:21 PM »

I would agree on not investing too much emotional energy but it's worth keeping an eye on due to Republicans quickly and forcefully injecting themselves into this election. Might not be because this seat is vulnerable, or maybe it is, but it could be to try to halt movement against them elsewhere outside this district.

It's also possible that they want a big win considering their embarrassing string of losses since Virginia. A good margin for Saccone could be trumpeted by the GOP as counter-evidence to the wave.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2018, 11:53:10 PM »

It's also possible that they want a big win considering their embarrassing string of losses since Virginia. A good margin for Saccone could be trumpeted by the GOP as counter-evidence to the wave.

Literally nobody will care about this besides this forum and Politico columnists though.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2018, 11:55:03 PM »

Literally nobody will care about this besides this forum and Politico columnists though.

Potential Big Donors might care though....
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2018, 12:14:17 AM »

Maybe but Republicans will always have their precious donors either way, so moot point.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2018, 12:35:00 AM »

Maybe but Republicans will always have their precious donors either way, so moot point.

They don't believe they'll always have them though, that's the thing. Part of why they were able to muscle through tax reform was they told legislators that big donors would abandon the party if tax reform didn't pass
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2018, 12:57:06 PM »

Despite this poll result and the district's Trumpy profile, here's your Republican dog sweat article in Politico:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/11/trump-special-election-pennsylvania-pittsburgh-336502
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 103  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies