309 House districts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:02:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  309 House districts
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 309 House districts  (Read 1136 times)
Kamala
Madagascar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2018, 12:44:33 AM »
« edited: January 08, 2018, 12:53:03 AM by Kamala, FM »

The ID-NV-UT split seems very awkward, especially the ID-NV connection and the double chop of ID. I would split it this way:

Idaho west: add Owyhee = 981 K
Idaho east: ID parts not in Idaho west plus UT Box Elder, Weber, Cache, Rich = 983 K
Salt Lake county = 1030 K
Utah central: Summit, Morgan, Davis, Tooele, Juab, Utah, Wasatch, Duchesne, Uintah, Daggett = 1013 K
Vegas (2 dists): add Nye, Esmeralda, Mineral = 2001 K
Deseret: remainders of NV and UT = 1025 K

Another obvious change would be to split the Dakotas into east and west halves. Use the Missouri river in SD and follow it into ND but split north to keep Bottineau on the west side. That gives a fairly even split of the population.

One of my objectives here was to have districts wholly contained in counties that, by themselves, are near either the quota or have close to multiple ones. The rest of the ID+NV+UT seats would have to gobble Esmeralda, Nye, and Mineral.

The problem with NV is that the bulk of the population of Nye is in Pahrump at the southern end, and it's basically an exurb of Las Vegas providing housing for people who work in Vegas. It's even in the same CSA as Clark. I understand your rationale, but shouldn't connected populations count for something, especially when they reduce the deviation?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I've answered that by using the east-west Dakota split. There is a strong sense of the Missouri river as the natural and political divide in SD. Any other split of SD is artificial. In both ND and SD there's a distinct change in the topography and economy driving along I-94 or I-90 when you cross the big river. Plus western ND is oil country like WY.

How does this work out?
Does this look sensible, overall?

No for the Dakotas. You are splitting the Sioux Falls area besides ignoring the east-west divide extending into ND. Minnehaha and Lincoln are not only in the same MSA, but they meet the criteria to be in the same UCC. There's no rational reason to split them, except to preserve ND. Even then there are are better ways then running to the SE corner IMO.

In my opinion, this is a solid map; MSAs aren't split. If aesthetics are also wanted, I really think Stanley County can be moved over. Trust me, it's not that important.

EDIT: posted the wrong link.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2018, 02:35:20 AM »

I think this map is better because the water/international colors are removed, and it is higher detail.

Oh my god, thank you, thank you, thank you! This map looks so wonderful after so long drawing districts on a crappy low res county map.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2018, 10:47:11 AM »
« Edited: January 08, 2018, 10:48:56 AM by Southern Deputy Speaker/National Archivist TimTurner »

I am not splitting ND, period. I would sooner split a metro than split a state. Who cares about Sioux Falls metro being chopped if that keeps ND united.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2018, 11:41:58 AM »

I am not splitting ND, period. I would sooner split a metro than split a state. Who cares about Sioux Falls metro being chopped if that keeps ND united.

....I do...
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2018, 11:49:43 AM »
« Edited: January 08, 2018, 11:58:58 AM by Southern Deputy Speaker/National Archivist TimTurner »

....I do...
If metro areas were as sacred as state lines were, then I might have detached Lake County and united it with most of Will County - allowing me to have Dupage to be a seat by itself. But I didn't.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2018, 01:10:47 PM »

I think this map is better because the water/international colors are removed, and it is higher detail.

Oh my god, thank you, thank you, thank you! This map looks so wonderful after so long drawing districts on a crappy low res county map.

All I did was take https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=275690.0 and use gimp image editor to wipe out the water/international colors.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies