Illinois governor 2018, opinions, endorsements, predictions?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:53:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Illinois governor 2018, opinions, endorsements, predictions?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Who do you support/endorse for the Illinois gubernatorial election in 2018?
Bruce Rauner (R)
JB Pritzker (D)
Jeanne Ives (R)
Chris Kennedy (D)
Daniel Bliss (D)
Other (Specify)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Illinois governor 2018, opinions, endorsements, predictions?  (Read 5875 times)
Rjjr77
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2018, 02:46:03 PM »

Pritzker is so crooked.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2018, 02:49:45 PM »

I think Rauner will prevail, but Ives is a sleeper. I can see her gaining a lot of traction downstate and Rauner has done very little to excite his Republican base. I don't see her getting a lot of support in a primary contest from Cook County/inner collar county Republicans but depending on how she messages (and what her messaging w/r/t Trump is and how he fares in the next few months) she has a real shot. I'm curious to see if Tea Party-like disruptors have the same primary-level success that they had during the Obama years during the Trump years. Roy Moore obviously crushed Luther Strange but that could be a one-off due to the way Strange was assigned to the Senate. Of course, corruption is par for the course in Republicans so I don't quite see the same outrage surrounding him, just a general lack of enthusiasm (unless the abortion issue really comes back to haunt him, which I somehow doubt).

Whoever wins has a real shot in the general, especially if Pritzker is the nominee. It's been said before but Pritzker is a pretty horrible candidate and I can see Democratic turnout being depressed if he's on the ballot, especially against Rauner.

Ives has been hitting him hard with the abortion issue. She was a featured speaker at Chicago's March for Life on Sunday: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-anti-abortion-march-0115-story.html

Rauner was the only candidate absent from today's Community Renewal Society's Martin Luther King Jr Faith in Action Forum. All the Democratic candidates and Jeanne Ives spoke. There was an empty seat at the table for Rauner. Not a good look.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2018, 04:10:59 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2018, 04:28:42 PM by Cal »

I think Rauner will prevail, but Ives is a sleeper. I can see her gaining a lot of traction downstate and Rauner has done very little to excite his Republican base. I don't see her getting a lot of support in a primary contest from Cook County/inner collar county Republicans but depending on how she messages (and what her messaging w/r/t Trump is and how he fares in the next few months) she has a real shot. I'm curious to see if Tea Party-like disruptors have the same primary-level success that they had during the Obama years during the Trump years. Roy Moore obviously crushed Luther Strange but that could be a one-off due to the way Strange was assigned to the Senate. Of course, corruption is par for the course in Republicans so I don't quite see the same outrage surrounding him, just a general lack of enthusiasm (unless the abortion issue really comes back to haunt him, which I somehow doubt).

Whoever wins has a real shot in the general, especially if Pritzker is the nominee. It's been said before but Pritzker is a pretty horrible candidate and I can see Democratic turnout being depressed if he's on the ballot, especially against Rauner.

Ives has been hitting him hard with the abortion issue. She was a featured speaker at Chicago's March for Life on Sunday: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-anti-abortion-march-0115-story.html

Rauner was the only candidate absent from today's Community Renewal Society's Martin Luther King Jr Faith in Action Forum. All the Democratic candidates and Jeanne Ives spoke. There was an empty seat at the table for Rauner. Not a good look.

I know Rauner was at events with the Rainbow PUSH Coalition and City Year, but Pritzker was able to attend at least one of those events as well (the PUSH event) and still make it to the event pictured above. The City Year event looks like it's an all day thing (Day of Service) and that Rauner could have gone after the MLK Forum. It's still a bad optic on Rauner's part.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2018, 04:44:40 PM »

What would a Kennedy v Ives race look like?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2018, 06:10:48 PM »

What would a Kennedy v Ives race look like?

Probably something like this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_election_in_Illinois,_2016
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2018, 06:28:46 PM »

I feel like she'd do worse than Kirk. Ives is very Far Right, and if 2018 does turn out to be a Blue Wave she'd especially struggle.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2018, 07:45:37 PM »

Ives wont win the primary I think it will be close though something like 46-54
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2018, 10:15:47 PM »

I feel like she'd do worse than Kirk. Ives is very Far Right, and if 2018 does turn out to be a Blue Wave she'd especially struggle.

Possibly...55-40 is a pretty healthy margin, though
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2018, 02:25:21 PM »

You really think Ives would do as well as Kirk in the suburbs? I highly doubt that. It gets glossed over because he still lost them overall, but for instance, Duckworth "only" won Lake by 5 while Hillary won it by 20.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2018, 08:06:55 PM »

I have a feeling I'll be voting third party again like I did in 2014.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2018, 08:22:21 PM »

Thanks for giving us that wonderful two-year-long quasi-shutdown
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2018, 10:42:40 AM »

Ives continues gaining support from Tea Party-style figures. She now has the endorsement of Bill Whittle: http://illinoisreview.typepad.com/illinoisreview/2018/01/national-conservative-commentator-bill-whittle-endorses-jeanne-ives.html

I almost wish she'd win the primary cause she'd get destroyed I'm the general.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2018, 10:01:43 PM »

Thanks for giving us that wonderful two-year-long quasi-shutdown

Rauner would've won whether I voted Quinn or not. Quinn only won Cook County and it wasn't that close and if Pritzker is the nominee, Rauner might slide in again. I will say if you want real positive change for the state,  Madigan and Cullerton need to go.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2018, 10:06:25 PM »

Jeanne Ives has finally released her first ads:

"Jeanne Ives Leads the Charge on Illinois Property Taxes"- https://youtu.be/QjETL_XMTQ4

"Ives: The Choice For Republican Voters In 2018"- https://youtu.be/bG1Kmy5iNCE

She also continues racking up endorsements from the local Republican parties/clubs/organizations around the state: https://twitter.com/JeanneIves/status/954867856264613888

She now has the support of the following local Republican parties:

Chicago Republican Party
Fremont Township Republican Organization
Lake County Republican Assembly
Rock Island County Republican Party
Wauconda Township Republican Club
Wheatland Township Republican Organization
Wheeling Township Republican Organization

She also picked up the endorsement of something called Tax Accountability: http://www.taxpayersunitedofamerica.org/latest/tax-accountability-endorses-jeanne-ives-in-illinois-gop-gubernatorial-primary
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies