Illinois governor 2018, opinions, endorsements, predictions?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:57:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Illinois governor 2018, opinions, endorsements, predictions?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Who do you support/endorse for the Illinois gubernatorial election in 2018?
Bruce Rauner (R)
JB Pritzker (D)
Jeanne Ives (R)
Chris Kennedy (D)
Daniel Bliss (D)
Other (Specify)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Illinois governor 2018, opinions, endorsements, predictions?  (Read 5877 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2018, 05:45:42 PM »

All these candidates suck. Typical for Illinois. I don't know why they can't find a decent candidate like Duckworth or Obama but instead keep on shoveling out trash like Giannoulias, Quinn, and Pritzker. It's like they want Republicans to win elections they have no business winning.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2018, 06:11:10 PM »

Biss is my favorite. Kennedy is my second, and if there was no way for biss to win and Pritzker and Kennedy were in a tight race I would go for him.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2018, 06:28:45 PM »

Rauner, over any dem.

Btw, have you people seen Pritzker's internet ads?
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2018, 10:43:34 AM »

Illinois resident (ignore the flair). I'll be voting for Biss in the primary and in the highly likely chance that JB wins, I'll support Bruce Rauner. I would rather be governed by a non-corrupt Republican than a corrupt Democrat and, frankly, I resent the state democratic party for these horrible choices.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2018, 06:34:20 AM »

Actually I lean towards Bruce Rauner, just to kick Mike Madigan's a**. Rauner is #NeverTrump Republican and pretty moderate on social issues.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2018, 09:49:49 AM »

Actually I lean towards Bruce Rauner, just to kick Mike Madigan's a**. Rauner is #NeverTrump Republican and pretty moderate on social issues.
Change the avi then buddy
BundouYMB

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2018, 12:16:12 PM »

Mike Madigan is the one kicking Bruce Rauner's ass. Madigan has been passing stuff with veto proof majorities, even with the help of some Republicans. In fact, recently Rauner said "I'm not in charge of the state, Madigan is."
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2018, 12:25:39 PM »

Chris Kennedy.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2018, 10:13:32 PM »

How do you all think Jeanne Ives will do in the primary against Rainer? What percentage do you predict she will receive?

I'm still curious about this. Rauner will win, but how much do you think Ives will get? Illinois people, does the Ives campaign actually exist? Have you seen or heard anything out of her?
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2018, 11:45:19 PM »

Rauner...even though he betrayed the ProLife movement horribly.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2018, 11:59:36 PM »

I guess Biss. It's pretty comical how terrible most Illinois Democrats are.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2018, 09:36:03 AM »

I think that Pritzker gets the nomination and then goes on to defeat Rauner 51-45%.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2018, 01:48:10 PM »

Mike Madigan is the one kicking Bruce Rauner's ass. Madigan has been passing stuff with veto proof majorities, even with the help of some Republicans. In fact, recently Rauner said "I'm not in charge of the state, Madigan is."

That's the point, dude. If (when) Rauner goes, Madigan can continue to ruin Illinois unabated.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2018, 05:06:47 PM »

I think that Pritzker gets the nomination and then goes on to defeat Rauner 51-45%.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2018, 05:54:56 PM »

I still insist this race is Tossup.
Rauner will keep it within 5 against Pritzker no matter what.
Any other D would make it Lean D minimum.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2018, 11:14:41 PM »

Rauner won't debate Jeanne Ives, no surprise there: http://www.wmay.com/2018/01/12/rauner-declines-republican-primary-debate-invitation/

Ives has the support of another local Republican party/organization:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Source: https://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/jeanne-ives-wins-key-straw-poll-in-illinois-republican-primary-469175613.html

Ives now has the support of the Chicago Republican Party, the Rock Island County Republican Party, the Wheeling Township Republican Organization, the Fremont Township Republican Organization, and the Wheaton Township Republican Organization. Rauner has the support of the Winfield Township Republican Organization.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2018, 08:39:04 AM »

How well is Ives expected to do? I know a lot of republicans are pissed at Rauner; but surely his massive cash advantage will save him in the Primary
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2018, 11:21:34 AM »

I still insist this race is Tossup.
Rauner will keep it within 5 against Pritzker no matter what.
Any other D would make it Lean D minimum.

No, Rauner is such a f*** up that there is barely any way for him to win, barring democratic Roy Moore.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2018, 01:23:41 PM »

How well is Ives expected to do? I know a lot of republicans are pissed at Rauner; but surely his massive cash advantage will save him in the Primary

I've been curious about this, too. Rauner will cruise to a win in the primary, but Ives is clearly tapping into that conservative, Tea Party-style anger. She's been running circles around him so far with endorsements from local Republican parties and organizations, and she has very vocal (almost weekly) support from radio host Mike Gallagher and the Illinois Family Institute. She just recently held a huge (and expensive) fundraising party with Gallagher, Dan Proft, and State Rep. Tom Morrison. I've been monitoring her social media and she's been gaining about a thousand followers a week for the past month on Facebook. That obviously doesn't translate into votes (and, like I said, Rainer will win), but she's got some grassroots traction going.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2018, 12:16:30 AM »

I think Rauner will prevail, but Ives is a sleeper. I can see her gaining a lot of traction downstate and Rauner has done very little to excite his Republican base. I don't see her getting a lot of support in a primary contest from Cook County/inner collar county Republicans but depending on how she messages (and what her messaging w/r/t Trump is and how he fares in the next few months) she has a real shot. I'm curious to see if Tea Party-like disruptors have the same primary-level success that they had during the Obama years during the Trump years. Roy Moore obviously crushed Luther Strange but that could be a one-off due to the way Strange was assigned to the Senate. Of course, corruption is par for the course in Republicans so I don't quite see the same outrage surrounding him, just a general lack of enthusiasm (unless the abortion issue really comes back to haunt him, which I somehow doubt).

Whoever wins has a real shot in the general, especially if Pritzker is the nominee. It's been said before but Pritzker is a pretty horrible candidate and I can see Democratic turnout being depressed if he's on the ballot, especially against Rauner.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2018, 12:37:16 AM »

it's too bad that none of the solid democratic congresspeople in Illinois aren't running. any of them are better than Biss/Kennedy/Pritzker. I'd vote for the Democrat probably but Pritzker seems fishy/corrupt to me, Kennedy is an old legacy name, so I'd vote Biss in primary.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2018, 10:41:46 AM »

After some deliberation, I've decided to support Kennedy. He's the only one that has confronted Rahm and the Machine over their failures on issues of gentrification, gun violence, and corruption. Biss has done none of this and yet has earned the support of many progressives by giving lip service to "free college." Insanity.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2018, 01:16:46 PM »

After some deliberation, I've decided to support Kennedy. He's the only one that has confronted Rahm and the Machine over their failures on issues of gentrification, gun violence, and corruption. Biss has done none of this and yet has earned the support of many progressives by giving lip service to "free college." Insanity.

I don't like Rahm that much, and Kennedy seems to be the most viable alternative to Pritzker. I will support Kennedy unless he has a scandal that makes him unacceptable to me or Biss receives a massive burst of support that puts Kennedy in 3rd place. I doubt either scenario will occur.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2018, 02:27:55 PM »

They don't veto proof majorities in the state house do they?   I know in the state senate there are GOP members that flip often, but the GOP should be able to hold the line in the state house.
BundouYMB

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2018, 02:44:01 PM »

They don't veto proof majorities in the state house do they?   I know in the state senate there are GOP members that flip often, but the GOP should be able to hold the line in the state house.

They could hold the line, but they don't. Rauner is so unpopular he can't keep the caucus in line, so some GOP members help override some of his vetoes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies