Do you support freedom from religion?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:37:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Do you support freedom from religion?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: skip
yes

no

other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Do you support freedom from religion?  (Read 1406 times)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 30, 2017, 12:20:38 PM »

Yes, I do.

If you think that being nonreligious (atheist, agnostic, none, etc) is all right with you (for others if not for yourself) and don't think that you should try to change a person's irreligion then vote "yes", otherwise vote "no". Vote "other" if you can't vote "yes" or "no" for any reason, or if you think the question is ambiguous or unclear, or if you see a better way of looking at it.
If you vote "other" perhaps you should clarify as to why.

The point is that even if you support a person's legal right to lack of religion, but don't support it morally or ethically (etc) then you might vote "no" or "other".

If you think that the poll questions and answers could be expressed better, let me know that as well.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 12:22:47 PM »

Of course I do, I'm an atheist myself.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 01:31:26 PM »

Yes, but I don't think trying to convert people should be banned, that falls under freedom of speech.

True, but it can be annoying.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 03:24:57 PM »

Yes (sane)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 10:40:54 AM »

The vast majority here are agnostic/atheist or soft Christians, neither group would vote no.  We have a couple of "hard" Christians, a handful of soft Jews, a couple of hard ones and a couple of Muslims.  Minus the soft Jews, all your no votes are going to come from them.  They also know they are in a tiny minority, so they might not be proud of their anti-freedom vote.  On the other hand, some of them like to be rebels, and may in fact appear proud to hate liberty.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 05:04:22 PM »

I voted no simply because the way the phrase "freedom from religion" is typically used is to express in some way the idea that religion is bad.  As far as I'm concerned, the phrase "freedom of religion" includes freedom to be an atheist and if that sticks in your craw, use the phrase "freedom of conscience" instead.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 06:09:13 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2017, 06:12:27 PM by DC Al Fine »

The vast majority here are agnostic/atheist or soft Christians, neither group would vote no.  We have a couple of "hard" Christians, a handful of soft Jews, a couple of hard ones and a couple of Muslims.  Minus the soft Jews, all your no votes are going to come from them.  They also know they are in a tiny minority, so they might not be proud of their anti-freedom vote.  On the other hand, some of them like to be rebels, and may in fact appear proud to hate liberty.

The poll is freedom from not freedom of religion.

If you swap 'hard' Christian for 'hard' atheist/agnostic I agree with your analysis though.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 06:15:20 PM »

We had a state dedicated to this. It collapsed in 1991.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 07:58:27 PM »

I voted no simply because the way the phrase "freedom from religion" is typically used is to express in some way the idea that religion is bad.  As far as I'm concerned, the phrase "freedom of religion" includes freedom to be an atheist and if that sticks in your craw, use the phrase "freedom of conscience" instead.
I wouldn't say religion is bad, but certainly in some cases it is. The way I look at "freedom from religion" is that it is not necessary for me. One can be a good person without it. The question is can I have a moral and ethical code without calling it "religion"?

Also, as far free speech goes, if religious people have free speech so should atheists and other "nones".
People should be just as free to express why irreligion is good as others are to express why they are religious. Of course, if an atheist knocks on your door, it would be for "no particular reason" as the joke goes. I like Buddhism by the way, because it is not centered around a belief in God, an afterlife, or hellfire and damnation. Some Buddhists have metaphysical beliefs, but they are not required for this particular path. In that sense Buddhism is more of a way of life than a "religion".
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 02:14:35 PM »

Yes because it's their choice.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 08:43:38 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2018, 08:51:17 PM by Senator Scott🎄 »

Freedom of religion, yes, but freedom from religion is pretty meaningless because its impact on culture and everyday thought is simply inescapable, whether we wish to accept that or not.

(it's kind of like when some on the left say we shouldn't "legislate morality," even though that's pretty much the point of having a government)
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 12:32:14 AM »

I think this is a poorly worded question. It should really be "Do you support freedom of religion, including freedom to not be of a religion?" Also, it's a bizarre question to ask; I figure almost everyone on a forum about American politics would support the 1st amendment's protection of freedom of religion/conscience. If you don't why are you on this forum?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 09:42:28 AM »

Depends on what you mean by "freedom from religion."
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 04:12:07 PM »

I voted no simply because the way the phrase "freedom from religion" is typically used is to express in some way the idea that religion is bad.  As far as I'm concerned, the phrase "freedom of religion" includes freedom to be an atheist and if that sticks in your craw, use the phrase "freedom of conscience" instead.

Yeah, I view the phrase freedom from religion as a bash on religion, akin to the phrase freedom from fear being a bash on fear. Religion in general does not concern or frighten me, and I find it hubristic to bash it. In general, I basically ignore religion, unless curious about something. And nothing bores me more, than all those arcane doctrinal differences between various sects.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 07:00:14 PM »

How about freedom to be "irreligious", specifically anyone who is not religious, which would include "spiritual but not religious"?
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 06:11:53 PM »

1st amendment.
Yes, you can be any religion you want.
The Puppeteer
Rookie
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2021, 08:07:36 PM »

Yes because most people don't believe as I do and I certainly have no interest in being forced follow religious beliefs that aren't mine just as I'm quite sure you wouldn't want to be forced to follow my religious beliefs or anyone else's.
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2021, 04:28:29 PM »

Yes. Very much so.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2021, 05:55:29 PM »

I support freedom of religion, and that includes the freedom not to practice religion.  If by “freedom from religion” you mean the right of the non-religious to not be harassed or discriminated against, then sure, I support that as well. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies