S.17.5-32: Firearm Education Act (statute )
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:22:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.17.5-32: Firearm Education Act (statute )
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.17.5-32: Firearm Education Act (statute )  (Read 484 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 26, 2017, 01:26:49 PM »
« edited: January 13, 2018, 11:32:33 PM by Mr. Reactionary »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Classic Conservative (Public referral)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 01:28:58 PM »

I believe this is an excellent bill and I thank Classic for introducing this for our debate.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 05:21:54 PM »

Happy new years. I hereby request unanimous consent to proceed with a final vote on this bill. 24 hrs to object.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 05:39:34 PM »

While I very much agree with this legislation and am glad to see the Southern region take steps towards encouraging new generations of responsible gun users, I am curious as to how the Southern region will determine how people would be qualified to safely teach these courses. Would that be something that varies between school districts? Or would standards be outlined by the region for an instructor to meet in order to teach these courses?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 06:04:45 PM »

While I very much agree with this legislation and am glad to see the Southern region take steps towards encouraging new generations of responsible gun users, I am curious as to how the Southern region will determine how people would be qualified to safely teach these courses. Would that be something that varies between school districts? Or would standards be outlined by the region for an instructor to meet in order to teach these courses?

The intent of this bill is to avoid overreach by stepping out of the way of local school boards more familiar with local conditions. That would include decisions of which groups to allow on to their property. I imagine they would largely just use any group which complied with the old ccw licensing requirements of their respective States. But there may be some small rural districts where it makes more sense to have volunteers from the sheriff or police department, which might deviate a bit from a state approved concealed carry course. Safe handling classes for kids and teens need not be designed to get them ready to concealed carry; with younger kids its probably best just to teach them not to touch the trigger or point the barrel at people and how to unload a gun or tell if its real.  So I think its important for the local school boards to have flexibility in designing their policies without us writing a topdown curriculum to taught from Boones Mill, VA to Miami, Fl.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 06:52:42 PM »

The intent of this bill is to avoid overreach by stepping out of the way of local school boards more familiar with local conditions. That would include decisions of which groups to allow on to their property. I imagine they would largely just use any group which complied with the old ccw licensing requirements of their respective States. But there may be some small rural districts where it makes more sense to have volunteers from the sheriff or police department, which might deviate a bit from a state approved concealed carry course. Safe handling classes for kids and teens need not be designed to get them ready to concealed carry; with younger kids its probably best just to teach them not to touch the trigger or point the barrel at people and how to unload a gun or tell if its real.  So I think its important for the local school boards to have flexibility in designing their policies without us writing a topdown curriculum to taught from Boones Mill, VA to Miami, Fl.

I mean I can understand the region not writing a top-down curriculum, but wouldn't it be at least good to set a bare minimum set of standards for instructors to meet to ensure that students are being taught safely by someone who isn't going to put their child at risk (much like those who are hired to coach sports)?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 07:12:36 PM »

I mean I can understand the region not writing a top-down curriculum, but wouldn't it be at least good to set a bare minimum set of standards for instructors to meet to ensure that students are being taught safely by someone who isn't going to put their child at risk (much like those who are hired to coach sports)?

I do not believe there are Regional rules for hiring coaches. This is more of a landlord tennant issue, as we are not requiring or paying for courses, merely encouraging localities to take the first step beyond zero tolerance for guns on school property.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 07:36:56 PM »

I can't imagine it would be very unreasonable for the person instructing to have at least met the requirements for ccw licensing, and to either be First Aid/CPR certified or require the school to provide someone to be present for the course who is.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 01:22:10 PM »

Unanimous consent is achieved. Final vote is now open for 72 hrs. Concludes around 1:30 pm est on saturday afternoon.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 05:37:17 PM »

Aye
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 06:35:04 PM »

Aye
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 08:31:25 AM »

Aye
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 01:53:38 PM »

3-0-0; 4; bill passes.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 02:00:41 PM »

Gah I missed this one. Ugh electronics problems.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 03:45:43 PM »

Understandable. Dont worry it still passed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies