Would you live in North Korea or Taliban Afghanistan? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:35:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Would you live in North Korea or Taliban Afghanistan? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
North Korea

Taliban Afghanistan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 92

Author Topic: Would you live in North Korea or Taliban Afghanistan?  (Read 4386 times)
Red Velvet
Brazil

« on: October 02, 2021, 11:32:21 AM »

Easily North Korea is the better option to actually live in, but only if I were already born there.

To live as a foreigner is much more debatable. Because government would still see me as outsider and have their eyes on me. Add to that the fact I’m not Asian and I probably would never really be seen as a true North Korean citizen and be too exotic in a closed country to really blend in.

So I think Afghanistan would be easier to blend in and keep a low profile (at least in comparison), although I admit I would be much more scared to live there nowadays than in North Korea.

Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 11:38:35 AM »

This is a tough one. I lean towards Afghanistan because the lowest-level Taliban officials are mostly going to be young guys who aren't die-hard ideologues and are just doing what they need to do to make a living and keep their family safe. So, build up a nice bribe fund, keep your head down, and you could probably live a relatively normal life, at least as far as life in Afghanistan goes. Plus it'd be better for my career prospects to see a how a Salafist government runs from up close. Biggest downside I can see is that, without women in public life, I'd have basically no social life and pretty much zero prospects for marriage or a family unless some Mullah takes a liking to me and tries to marry off his daughter. I doubt Hinge or Bumble are very popular in Afghanistan these days.

North Korea would probably feel more normal, but I think I'd do a much worse job at sticking to the party line and I'd have 20 neighbors send write-ups on me giggling at the absurdity of the system by the end of the first week. And I doubt you'd have as easy a time making nice with your local secret police officer in North Korea compared to the Taliban. I might be able to get used to it after a while, but I don't know if I'd be able to last a while without getting locked up or sent to a labor camp.

That sums up pretty well.

North Korea is better option because it’s more “normal” but Afghanistan looks easier to adapt. I could see myself reasoning or making friends with people in the Taliban in order to try to be on good terms with them. That’s harsher to do in “colder” strict culture like North Korea one.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies