Would you live in North Korea or Taliban Afghanistan?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:24:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Would you live in North Korea or Taliban Afghanistan?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
North Korea

Taliban Afghanistan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 92

Author Topic: Would you live in North Korea or Taliban Afghanistan?  (Read 4339 times)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2021, 01:09:27 PM »

Some might argue that living your entire life in North Korea with very few rights whatsoever is worse than having your life in danger if there is a strong chance at escaping.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2021, 02:12:05 PM »

Considering I'd be martyred if I lived in either country, I'll have to go with Taliban Afghanistan, although they are both sadistic.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2021, 03:21:11 PM »

I guess the latter. At least as a man, though I'd be worried about my wife.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2021, 06:29:11 PM »

I guess the latter. At least as a man, though I'd be worried about my wife.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/afghan-pedophiles-get-free-pass-from-u-s-military-report-says/

The place is decrepit. The way they treat their children is abhorrent by any measure.

North Korea brah.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2021, 06:50:26 AM »

North Korea, easily.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2021, 04:05:21 PM »

In answer to the question, obviously Afghanistan. Firstly, I am male, not female - if I was female, this question would be harder to answer. But the fact is it's impossible to ever leave North Korea, whereas escape from Afghanistan, while difficult, is still a possibility. Aside from that, when it comes to actually living in one of the two without trying to escape, Afghanistan is still better (if you are male, that is), as the Taliban doesn't control as much as North Korea. The Taliban isn't as heavy-handed, since the UN has some oversight over its activities and the Taliban has limits, whereas North Korea can abuse whoever it wants unchecked by the UN or anything.
LBJer
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2021, 08:46:32 PM »

I voted for North Korea.  Both are highly repressive societies, but in general I'd rather live under a repressive system that is secular than one that is religion based. 
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2021, 09:43:25 PM »

Afghanistan. As brutal as the Taliban have been at their worst, it is impossible for them to exercise the level of control over the population that North Korea does.

I could argue that the Taliban back in the 90's exterted control almost on the same level and footing as North Korea.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2021, 02:27:35 AM »

Afghanistan is easier to escape
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2021, 07:56:50 AM »

I'd like to rescind my NK vote.

For some strange reason, I thought Pyongyang had a thriving (but largely underground) nightlife.

Apparently that is not the case.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2021, 04:19:35 PM »

This is a tough one. I lean towards Afghanistan because the lowest-level Taliban officials are mostly going to be young guys who aren't die-hard ideologues and are just doing what they need to do to make a living and keep their family safe. So, build up a nice bribe fund, keep your head down, and you could probably live a relatively normal life, at least as far as life in Afghanistan goes. Plus it'd be better for my career prospects to see a how a Salafist government runs from up close. Biggest downside I can see is that, without women in public life, I'd have basically no social life and pretty much zero prospects for marriage or a family unless some Mullah takes a liking to me and tries to marry off his daughter. I doubt Hinge or Bumble are very popular in Afghanistan these days.

North Korea would probably feel more normal, but I think I'd do a much worse job at sticking to the party line and I'd have 20 neighbors send write-ups on me giggling at the absurdity of the system by the end of the first week. And I doubt you'd have as easy a time making nice with your local secret police officer in North Korea compared to the Taliban. I might be able to get used to it after a while, but I don't know if I'd be able to last a while without getting locked up or sent to a labor camp.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2021, 10:53:22 AM »

I'd rather live in Hell than live in either one of these two places because the real Hell's surely less hellish than these two nightmares are.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2021, 11:32:21 AM »

Easily North Korea is the better option to actually live in, but only if I were already born there.

To live as a foreigner is much more debatable. Because government would still see me as outsider and have their eyes on me. Add to that the fact I’m not Asian and I probably would never really be seen as a true North Korean citizen and be too exotic in a closed country to really blend in.

So I think Afghanistan would be easier to blend in and keep a low profile (at least in comparison), although I admit I would be much more scared to live there nowadays than in North Korea.

Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2021, 11:38:35 AM »

This is a tough one. I lean towards Afghanistan because the lowest-level Taliban officials are mostly going to be young guys who aren't die-hard ideologues and are just doing what they need to do to make a living and keep their family safe. So, build up a nice bribe fund, keep your head down, and you could probably live a relatively normal life, at least as far as life in Afghanistan goes. Plus it'd be better for my career prospects to see a how a Salafist government runs from up close. Biggest downside I can see is that, without women in public life, I'd have basically no social life and pretty much zero prospects for marriage or a family unless some Mullah takes a liking to me and tries to marry off his daughter. I doubt Hinge or Bumble are very popular in Afghanistan these days.

North Korea would probably feel more normal, but I think I'd do a much worse job at sticking to the party line and I'd have 20 neighbors send write-ups on me giggling at the absurdity of the system by the end of the first week. And I doubt you'd have as easy a time making nice with your local secret police officer in North Korea compared to the Taliban. I might be able to get used to it after a while, but I don't know if I'd be able to last a while without getting locked up or sent to a labor camp.

That sums up pretty well.

North Korea is better option because it’s more “normal” but Afghanistan looks easier to adapt. I could see myself reasoning or making friends with people in the Taliban in order to try to be on good terms with them. That’s harsher to do in “colder” strict culture like North Korea one.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2021, 10:56:55 AM »

To live as a foreigner is much more debatable. Because government would still see me as outsider and have their eyes on me. Add to that the fact I’m not Asian and I probably would never really be seen as a true North Korean citizen and be too exotic in a closed country to really blend in.

There actually are a small number of foreigners living in North Korea who work at embassies or represent the very small number of foreign businesses with investments there, and they are treated much better than the typical citizen. The worst they'd do to you is probably just kick you out of the country.

I could see myself reasoning or making friends with people in the Taliban

LOL man, good luck to you with that.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2021, 10:56:39 AM »

Easily North Korea is the better option to actually live in, but only if I were already born there.

So I think Afghanistan would be easier to blend in and keep a low profile (at least in comparison), although I admit I would be much more scared to live there nowadays than in North Korea.

Dude, your Brazilian, you can have any cutie there with such little work.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2021, 04:51:26 PM »

Dude, your Brazilian, you can have any cutie there with such little work.

Thus he chooses South/West Asia.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2021, 10:48:19 PM »

Neither.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2021, 11:49:10 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2021, 11:53:04 PM by Santander »

North Korea has comparable life expectancy as much of Eastern Europe and Latin America. Afghanistan has lower life expectancy than Haiti or Liberia. Foreigners (e.g. students, academics, businessmen) can go to North Korea and can live relatively normal lives. Non-Afghan origin foreigners who go to Afghanistan had to live with heavy security even before the Taliban. An Afghani dropped off in Pyongyang would think it's a nice city. A North Korean dropped off in Kabul would think it's a sh**thole.

It's not a hard choice at all, and it would've been easy even before the Taliban took over.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2021, 01:42:07 AM »

I speak passable Urdu which is commonplace enough in Afghanistan to let me leave to Pakistan and get home so it's an easy choice for me.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2021, 09:33:33 PM »

Taliban Afghanistan, because the odds of me accidentally eating dog or cat meat would be considerably reduced.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies