Most socially conservative place in every state
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 10:08:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Most socially conservative place in every state
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Most socially conservative place in every state  (Read 2450 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2017, 06:04:13 PM »

South Dakota: Douglas County
Iowa: Sioux County
Michigan: Ottawa County
(Guess what these places have in common)

The Dutch?

Correct.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2017, 06:27:32 PM »

What makes it more conservative than surrounding counties?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2017, 10:05:37 PM »

Honolulu in Hawaii?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2017, 10:35:58 PM »

Its older and whiter and more rural than the surrounding ones.  Itawamba and Tishomingo give it a run for its money though.
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2017, 10:59:35 PM »

Its older and whiter and more rural than the surrounding ones.  Itawamba and Tishomingo give it a run for its money though.

What made it vote against Barbour in 2007 though? From what I understand it's a traditional/ancestral Democratic stronghold...obviously staunchly Republican now, but is it really the most socially conservative county in Mississippi?

Anyway, for Maryland, I'd say somewhere in the backwoods of Garrett County. Maybe Accident.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2017, 11:01:08 PM »

For Kentucky, probably Piner, or that one really right-wing precinct in northwestern Pendleton County.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2017, 11:04:36 PM »

In Brooklyn....it's easily the Hasidic Jewish areas of Bensonhurst and the old school NYCers area of Sheepshead Bay
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2017, 11:05:20 PM »

What made it vote against Barbour in 2007 though? From what I understand it's a traditional/ancestral Democratic stronghold...obviously staunchly Republican now, but is it really the most socially conservative county in Mississippi?

Anyway, for Maryland, I'd say somewhere in the backwoods of Garrett County. Maybe Accident.

Garrett County has never voted for a Democrat in presidential elections, only voting not Republican in 1912 when Theodore Roosevelt won the County.

However, Barry Goldwater won it by only 109 votes out of 7139 in 1964.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2017, 12:15:05 AM »

I don't hold its vote for Eaves in 2007 against it, considering that Eaves was a very socially conservative Democrat.  Prentiss is also represented by J.P. Wilemon in the State Senate, one of the only few White Democrats left there.

The fact that Prentiss County still voted for the conservative, Southern Democrat in 2007 is evidence of its traditionalist, old-school way of thinking that is exactly what makes it the most socially conservative place in Mississippi. 
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2017, 10:11:13 AM »

In Massachusetts, I'll nominate the conservative Catholic areas of northern Worcester County such as Fitchburg and Leominster. Some immigration, but economically stagnant with few of the colleges and universities that diversify cities like Worcester and Springfield. I'm open to other suggestions.

Southie and the Southie diaspora are not what they used to be since the Catholic Church's credibility collapsed 10 years ago and gentrification diversified those neighborhoods.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2017, 11:50:53 AM »

CA is definitely Modoc/Lassen counties.
Clarence Boddicker

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -5.91

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2017, 10:16:46 AM »

For Tennessee, I'd go with Bradley County. It's one of the most Republican counties in the state and houses the Church of God headquarters.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2017, 10:20:56 AM »

Arizona: Colorado City
Minnesota: Prinsburg
Ohio: Holmes County
Utah: Hildale

But those places are full of polygamists.
Hydera

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2017, 10:38:58 AM »

For Tennessee, I'd go with Bradley County. It's one of the most Republican counties in the state and houses the Church of God headquarters.

Quite a few >90% counties in 2006 that voted for a ban on gay marriage and i know people were still socially conservative in 2006 but it was a dem favorable year.

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=47&year=2006&f=0&off=60&elect=0

Even if you assumed a uniform swing of say 30% these counties would still be two thirds unaccepting of gay marriage.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2017, 11:10:49 AM »

In Brooklyn....it's easily the Hasidic Jewish areas of Bensonhurst and the old school NYCers area of Sheepshead Bay

There aren't Hasids in Bensonhurst. You're thinking of Borough Park. Though the ultra-Orthodox there are less conservative than the ones in South Williamsburg. And Torie probably has it right that Kiryas Joel way out in Orange County is even more conservative than South Williamsburg.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2017, 12:06:47 PM »

Going with the ExtremeRepublican method of using the white vote as a means of estimation, NC's most socially conservative county is Robeson (Lumberton, Trump +92.1).

Then again, this method was designed for socially liberal areas instead, so it may be off.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2017, 12:17:43 PM »

Indiana- the Fort Wayne metro.  It's where all of the social conservatives in Indiana are based and it's where Concordia Seminary of the LCMS is headquartered.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2017, 12:35:10 PM »

I don't hold its vote for Eaves in 2007 against it, considering that Eaves was a very socially conservative Democrat.  Prentiss is also represented by J.P. Wilemon in the State Senate, one of the only few White Democrats left there.

The fact that Prentiss County still voted for the conservative, Southern Democrat in 2007 is evidence of its traditionalist, old-school way of thinking that is exactly what makes it the most socially conservative place in Mississippi. 

IIRC - Wilemon represents a Tishomingo and Itawamba too? And he is one of, may be, two remaining conservative white Democratic state Senators (with Bob Dearing) in Mississippi. Very conservative socially, slightly less - on economy. And after them the seats will, probably, go Republican.. Am i correct?
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2017, 05:48:08 PM »

Quite a few >90% counties in 2006 that voted for a ban on gay marriage and i know people were still socially conservative in 2006 but it was a dem favorable year.

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=47&year=2006&f=0&off=60&elect=0

Even if you assumed a uniform swing of say 30% these counties would still be two thirds unaccepting of gay marriage.

That's really insane.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2017, 12:50:02 PM »

Garrett County has never voted for a Democrat in presidential elections, only voting not Republican in 1912 when Theodore Roosevelt won the County.

However, Barry Goldwater won it by only 109 votes out of 7139 in 1964.
This. Garrett County is the least educated county in the state. It voted 72.91-27.09 against same-sex marriage legalization in 2012.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2017, 04:33:58 PM »

Kansas' is definitely St. Marys. There's a school associated with the Society of St. Pius X there and it's a hub for traditional Catholics. In fact, Al Gore (22%) finished third in St. Marys to Pat Buchanan (24%) and Michael Peroutka (13%) nearly matched Kerry's percentage (19.9%) there.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2017, 03:48:59 PM »

For Missouri, it'd have to be somewhere in Southwest Missouri, especially if you look at the 2016 Republican primary map you'll see that that quadrant of the state was heavily Cruz Country. My guess would be Webster County just east of Greene/Springfield. It contains Seymour, which has one of the largest Amish populations in the state.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2018, 05:28:48 PM »

Tennessee- Franklin county

So socially conservative we seceded from the state of Tennessee just to join the Confederacy a few months earlier
Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2018, 06:08:21 PM »

For Tennessee those eastern Tennessee county’s that have never voted democrat are the actual answer.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2018, 11:45:08 AM »

Tennessee- Franklin county

So socially conservative we seceded from the state of Tennessee just to join the Confederacy a few months earlier
Is this a point of pride?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies