MI-EPICMRA: Schuette +3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:28:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2018 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  MI-EPICMRA: Schuette +3
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MI-EPICMRA: Schuette +3  (Read 2910 times)
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 15, 2017, 06:03:28 PM »

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2017/12/15/new-poll-has-bill-schuette-up-3-points-over-gretchen-whitmer-2018-governors-race/956521001/

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 06:06:24 PM »

He leads 38-35? Wow! Likely R clearly (Safe R if it rains!)
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 06:09:36 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Everything is fine.

Also my inner 12 year-old will never not laugh at this pollster’s name.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 06:16:59 PM »

How does Whitmer only have 36% name recognition after being in the race for almost a year? Tongue
UncleSam

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 06:20:34 PM »

I mean her name approval getting worse is hardly a good sign lol

This will end up being a tougher contest for Dems than it ought to be, imo. In such a favorable national environment Mi should be going blue at the statewide level, but the Detroit population just keeps declining and Western Michigan keeps growing, while no one really knows any of the Democrats statewide.

Still think this is tilts D, but Dems are going to have to invest a lot more to beat Schuette with Whitmer than they ought to have to.

Wouldn't at all be surprised if Whitmer manages to throw this on a night where Evers squeaks by Walker and Graham beats Putnam in FL.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 06:27:38 PM »

How does Whitmer only have 36% name recognition after being in the race for almost a year? Tongue

Because only Atlas posters pay attention to races a year+ in advance. Tongue

You really can't draw any conclusions from a poll a year before the election where both candidates are under 40%.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 06:37:47 PM »

61% disapproval. Ayyy lmao
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 06:42:12 PM »

Whitmer is not at risk of losing at this point
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 06:52:25 PM »

Mmm, a Michigan poll with 27% undecided but the sitting president is at 61% disapproval. I can see where this will go.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 06:55:38 PM »

Safe D
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 09:35:15 PM »

Mark Hackel or Mike Duggan would've been great candidates for Dems, the current field is underwhelming.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 07:08:25 PM »

This will end up being a tougher contest for Dems than it ought to be, imo. In such a favorable national environment Mi should be going blue at the statewide level, but the Detroit population just keeps declining and Western Michigan keeps growing, while no one really knows any of the Democrats statewide.

Still think this is tilts D, but Dems are going to have to invest a lot more to beat Schuette with Whitmer than they ought to have to.

Wouldn't at all be surprised if Whitmer manages to throw this on a night where Evers squeaks by Walker and Graham beats Putnam in FL.

I think Whitmer should be able to pull it off at the end of the day due to a favorable national environment and Snyder fatigue on the local level, but I think it'll be a closer race than many are probably expecting ATM and victory shouldn't be taken for granted.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 10:51:48 PM »

I think Whitmer should be able to pull it off at the end of the day due to a favorable national environment and Snyder fatigue on the local level, but I think it'll be a closer race than many are probably expecting ATM and victory shouldn't be taken for granted.

Whitmer is a remarkably underwhelming candidate. Michigan's Martha Coakley.

Mark Hackel or Mike Duggan would've been great candidates for Dems, the current field is underwhelming.

I don't think it's too late for him to jump in. I don't know Michigan's ballot access laws that well, but I'd have to believe that MI Dems are wanting another option. Mayor Mike has an excellent record on paper (even if Detroit's recovery is uneven) and if anyone could overcome such a late start, it's Mike Duggan.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 11:42:40 PM »

The current field wasn't great in 2014 either, and then it turned out to be a wave...and yet an practical unknown kept Governor Snyder to 3 points or so.

Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 11:57:30 PM »

This is shaping up to be like the 2002 race where Granholm won narrowly over the incumbent LG despite a decent national environment for the Dems.

I’ll predict an underwhelming win for Whitmer. She just needs a surfboard to ride the blue wave this year to beat Scheutte.

America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2017, 12:41:12 AM »

Why is this race Safe D?
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2017, 12:56:34 AM »

Hackel has the most upside, he'd easily carry Macomb and the election. Seems to have a ton of appeal with WWC voters too. Duggan would boost turnout in Detroit and do well in the suburbs. Whitmer is a ?? all she's done is win her safe district, never had a competitive election. I think its odd so many are lining up behind her.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2017, 01:08:39 AM »

Hackel has the most upside, he'd easily carry Macomb and the election. Seems to have a ton of appeal with WWC voters too. Duggan would boost turnout in Detroit and do well in the suburbs. Whitmer is a ?? all she's done is win her safe district, never had a competitive election. I think its odd so many are lining up behind her.

So, she's a Katie McGutless then?
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2017, 01:14:09 AM »

So, she's a Katie McGutless then?

McGinty was even worse as she'd never won an election before. Whitmer is not a complete novice but winning a stafe district is a lot harder than winning statewide.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2017, 05:19:32 PM »

Its EPIC and Stabenow will help Whitmer win.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2017, 05:49:39 PM »

Whitmer is a remarkably underwhelming candidate. Michigan's Martha Coakley.

I don't think it's too late for him to jump in. I don't know Michigan's ballot access laws that well, but I'd have to believe that MI Dems are wanting another option. Mayor Mike has an excellent record on paper (even if Detroit's recovery is uneven) and if anyone could overcome such a late start, it's Mike Duggan.

Yeah, I agree that Duggan would be a better bet. Honestly, it surprises that we haven't gotten at least one other major candidate besides Whitmer.  I'm still shocked that Kildee opted out.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2017, 09:48:25 PM »

I don’t know why Hackel is passing on this race. The others in the race are Abdul El-Sayed who would get killed just because of his name, and two random dudes named Shri Thanedar and Bill Cobbs. I think we’re stuck with Whitmer for better or for worse.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2017, 10:02:21 PM »

Its EPIC and Stabenow will help Whitmer win.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2017, 02:54:39 PM »

I think Whitmer will win, but this is a bad argument. "Peters will help Schauer win!"
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2017, 03:15:29 PM »

I think Whitmer will win, but this is a bad argument. "Peters will help Schauer win!"

Considering how unknown and underfunded he was, and how close the result turned out to be...yeah that's actually a sound argument. No, he didn't win, but that race also had no business being a nail-biter either.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies