Would Bush have done better without Nader
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:52:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Would Bush have done better without Nader
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Would Bush have done better without Nader  (Read 2919 times)
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 14, 2017, 11:50:24 PM »

Is it true more democrats crossed over to vote for Bush than for Nader?
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 07:22:31 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2018, 07:25:03 PM by Alt-Centrist »

Nope, he would've done worse and lost the presidency.

darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 09:01:54 PM »

Why in the world would Bush be a Nader voter's second choice?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 08:55:16 PM »

Is it true more democrats crossed over to vote for Bush than for Nader?

Yes, but why would that mean that Bush would have done better without Nader?
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 09:51:08 PM »

Exit poll data indicated most Nader voters would have stayed home.  But of those who would have voted they preferred Bush over Gore.  So without Nader Bush would have won NM, WI and of course a bigger margins in FL.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 12:32:48 AM »
« Edited: October 11, 2018, 12:38:26 AM by Da2017 »

Exit poll data indicated most Nader voters would have stayed home.  But of those who would have voted they preferred Bush over Gore.  So without Nader Bush would have won NM, WI and of course a bigger margins in FL.

Now that's interesting. Gore's platform is closer to Nader;s than Bush. Why would they prefer Bush? I heard it from Jimmy Dore Show a couple years ago. He is out there. He lies and exaggerates  quite a bit. I take what he says with a grain of salt. See if you can find a link to the data
uti2

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 01:27:42 AM »

Exit poll data indicated most Nader voters would have stayed home.  But of those who would have voted they preferred Bush over Gore.  So without Nader Bush would have won NM, WI and of course a bigger margins in FL.

Now that's interesting. Gore's platform is closer to Nader;s than Bush. Why would they prefer Bush? I heard it from Jimmy Dore Show a couple years ago. He is out there. He lies and exaggerates  quite a bit. I take what he says with a grain of salt. See if you can find a link to the data

Gore would've been the net beneficiary, Cook cites the VNS exit poll here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/09/opinion/the-next-nader-effect.html
Very Legal & Very Cool
RFA09

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 02:29:55 AM »

Conservative pre-9/11 Arabs that disliked Lieberman is the only plausible explanation but even then, I'm not buying it. People voted for who they wanted to vote for. The only "what if" I entertain about the 2000 election is if more California Republicans would've shown up for Bush had Florida not been mistakenly called for Gore so early. The changed the rules about calling states after this election. It might have affected the popular vote, maybe not.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 08:29:15 AM »

Jimmy Dore does not lie, he's one of the view honest people in news.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 11:26:48 AM »

http://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2016/10/20/the-green-party-openly-preferred-george-w-bush-in-2000-and-openly-prefers-donald-trump-now%E2%80%8B/
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 12:45:36 PM »

Conservative pre-9/11 Arabs that disliked Lieberman is the only plausible explanation but even then, I'm not buying it. People voted for who they wanted to vote for. The only "what if" I entertain about the 2000 election is if more California Republicans would've shown up for Bush had Florida not been mistakenly called for Gore so early. The changed the rules about calling states after this election. It might have affected the popular vote, maybe not.

Doesn't this also apply to Oregon, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and New Mexico? Florida was called extremely early (7:50 ET), and if Republicans in those (much closer) states stayed home because of it, it was the networks that made Florida even matter in the first place.

https://uselectionatlas.org/INFORMATION/ARTICLES/ElectionNight/pe2000elecnighttime.php
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 08:02:45 PM »

Exit poll data indicated most Nader voters would have stayed home.  But of those who would have voted they preferred Bush over Gore.  So without Nader Bush would have won NM, WI and of course a bigger margins in FL.
That’s...not correct.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 10:22:22 PM »

For a Nader voter's second choice to be Bush, they'd have to either be a single-issue anti-semite or a single-issue anti-censorship voter.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 11:11:53 AM »

he might have won the popular vote.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies