How would you rate TX-Sen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:42:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How would you rate TX-Sen?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Poll
Question: How would you rate TX-Sen?
Lean dem

Toss up

Lean rep

Likely rep

Safe rep

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 160

Author Topic: How would you rate TX-Sen?  (Read 9177 times)
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2017, 11:54:40 PM »

Would O'Rourke do better with Lupe Valdez or Andrew White as the Democratic nominee for Governor?
Probably Valdez, she appears to be a stronger candidate than White, at least on paper.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2017, 12:02:02 AM »

Would O'Rourke do better with Lupe Valdez or Andrew White as the Democratic nominee for Governor?

Valdez is probably the stronger of the two, but I suspect that this race will operate in reverse: O'Rourke will most likely help the TX-GOV nominee on account of his high profile. It won't be enough to take out Abbott - I'm certainly not under that delusion - but that's the way I imagine it'll work.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2017, 12:16:25 AM »

Definitely much better. I'd argue 4-5 points better.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2017, 12:18:47 AM »

Safe R. Come on. Cruz is not Roy Moore.

But he is a sleazeball, and Texas isn't Alabama. As I've already pointed out, Russ Feingold lost comfortably in a Wisconsin that was almost as Obama-friendly as Texas is Trump-friendly.
Wisconsin was a swing/battle ground state in 2008 and Texas is safe/likely R state in 2016. Besides Wisconsin is much more elastic then Texas is.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2017, 12:20:37 AM »

Valdez is probably the stronger of the two, but I suspect that this race will operate in reverse: O'Rourke will most likely help the TX-GOV nominee on account of his high profile. It won't be enough to take out Abbott - I'm certainly not under that delusion - but that's the way I imagine it'll work.
Abbott appears to be enroute to a comfortable re-election so I would imagine that should help Ted Cruz.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2017, 12:24:53 AM »

Abbott appears to be enroute to a comfortable re-election so I would imagine that should help Ted Cruz.

You'd be surprised. There have been a number of stories circulating about O'Rourke's appeal to the Trump base (mostly on the grounds of his honesty about the issues and sincerity as a person, from what I've read) and Cruz' total lack of it. Win or lose, I imagine Beto sees a significant amount of crossover support from Abbott voters, simply on account of Abbott not having alienated significant swathes of Republicans.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2017, 12:27:33 AM »

But he is a sleazeball, and Texas isn't Alabama. As I've already pointed out, Russ Feingold lost comfortably in a Wisconsin that was almost as Obama-friendly as Texas is Trump-friendly.
Wisconsin was a swing/battle ground state in 2008 and Texas is safe/likely R state in 2016. Besides Wisconsin is much more elastic then Texas is.
Texas is not safe R. TX is more likely to vote for a Democrat than most red states.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2017, 12:41:49 AM »

Likely R. Cruz probably holds on by at least 5-6%, but if O'Rourke actually ends up being a top notch candidate, and the trends in Texas are stronger than people expect, I suppose it's possible that Cruz could get Warner'd, or even lose very narrowly.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2017, 12:41:56 AM »

It's Likely R.  I'd be very happy to see an upset here, though.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2017, 12:42:31 AM »

Texas is not safe R. TX is more likely to vote for a Democrat than most red states.
Citation please. I also said back in 2016 it was on the boarder of safe and Likely R. Texas has not voted Democrat in a statewide race since 1994 http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2012/sep/26/joaquin-castro/joaquin-castro-says-texas-has-gone-longest-all-sta/
That’s longer then the majority of states including inelastic states such as Mississippi and Alabama.   
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2017, 12:48:15 AM »

You'd be surprised. There have been a number of stories circulating about O'Rourke's appeal to the Trump base (mostly on the grounds of his honesty about the issues and sincerity as a person, from what I've read) and Cruz' total lack of it. Win or lose, I imagine Beto sees a significant amount of crossover support from Abbott voters, simply on account of Abbott not having alienated significant swathes of Republicans.
I would imagine much of Trumps base are staunch Republicans and I can’t imagine O Rourke winning over many actual registered republicans even Moore won over 90% of Republicans in Alabama. Also while many of these voters may prefer O Rourke on a personal level it’s another thing to actually get these voters to cross over and vote Democrat. How many times have we seen Democrats start out polling well in strongly Republican states before they fade in the end.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2017, 07:36:33 AM »

Between lean and likely Republican. Voted lean Republican since Cruz is unpopular and 2018 could became a bad year for the GOP. Maybe wishful thinking though, I have to see some Cruz vs. O'Rourke polls.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2017, 08:41:40 AM »

Cruz could very easily lose. Texas is a sleeping giant if the right voters organized:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Now, contrary to the Democrats of Atlas defeatism....The Hispanics of Texas are not majority Republican:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Beto very much has a chance
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2017, 04:58:15 PM »

if 61% of Hilldogs voters turn  out for beto and half of trumps for cruz, beto narrowly wins.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2017, 05:20:29 PM »

Lean R
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2017, 10:10:52 PM »

Somewhere between a toss-up and leaning toward the Republicans. I'm not sure yet.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2017, 03:09:10 AM »

This race is possible.
super6646
Canada

« Reply #92 on: December 29, 2017, 03:44:51 AM »

Likely republican. Not quite ready to put into safe, but Cruz shouldn't have trouble assuming nothing comes out about him.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2017, 07:21:27 AM »

Toss up
Baki
Rookie
Croatia

« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2017, 08:53:11 AM »

Likely R until proven otherwise.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2017, 08:55:30 AM »

mcmikk
thealmightypiplup

« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2017, 10:12:28 AM »

RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2017, 10:30:57 AM »

Lean R
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2017, 01:06:46 PM »

Lean R.

To keep it brief, I think Republicans are somewhat overconfident in this race. Cruz, to me, is one of those incumbents that I could see producing some underwhelming results. Maybe even tossup level. Trump is also not hugely popular in Texas anyway, but probably not enough to consider it being a tossup yet.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #99 on: December 29, 2017, 01:10:57 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies