In your opinion, why do people hunt?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 03:12:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  In your opinion, why do people hunt?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: In your opinion, why do people hunt?
For necessity

For fun

Abit of both

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: In your opinion, why do people hunt?  (Read 5246 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2005, 05:29:34 AM »

Given the fact that there are at least some form of food market in every single town in America, I would say that hunters do it for fun.  It's not like they'll go hungry if they don't.

Um, many people I know hunt for the meat of the animal. Wild Hog is good as is Deer and alligator. They hunt because they enjoy it and they enjoy the benefits of the meat they procure.

That's not out of necessity.  If you want meat, you can go to the store and buy it pretty easily.  Hunting out of necessity would mean that you couldn't live without hunting.  You said it yourself: they hunt because they enjoy it.  Hunting for fun does not necessarily mean you don't do anything with the animal after you kill it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2005, 05:43:24 AM »

Depends what sort of hunting. Generally speaking the sort of hunting you get in the U.S is done for the same sort of reasons people go fishing.
It's complicated but has nothing to do with small penises (it's people with cars with more than two exhust pipes who the have small penises).

Now the sort of hunting the upper classes do over here is... disturbing to be honest. They do weird, weird things with blood for example. It probably does have a sexual element.
Buncha inbred weirdos.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2005, 09:47:31 AM »

People hunt because they like it.

I'm not a hunter, but I don't see anything wrong with hunting.

Nature is all about animals hunting other animals.  Around here, the most common form of hunting is deer hunting.

There's a huge overpopulation of deer in the northeastern US, because they lost the wolf, their natural predator.  There are so many that they are becoming a menace.  They can't be hunted in many areas because the areas are too populated.

Overall, hunting is a necessary part of the natural balance.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2005, 10:10:34 AM »

Given the fact that there are at least some form of food market in every single town in America, I would say that hunters do it for fun.  It's not like they'll go hungry if they don't.

Um, many people I know hunt for the meat of the animal. Wild Hog is good as is Deer and alligator. They hunt because they enjoy it and they enjoy the benefits of the meat they procure.

That's not out of necessity.  If you want meat, you can go to the store and buy it pretty easily.  Hunting out of necessity would mean that you couldn't live without hunting.  You said it yourself: they hunt because they enjoy it.  Hunting for fun does not necessarily mean you don't do anything with the animal after you kill it.

I do not know of any store that you can buy deer, hog or other sorts of meat of that variety that were NOT taken by hunting.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2005, 10:14:22 AM »

Seriously, though, how can you shoot a deer?  Man, that just is something I could never do, say what you'd like.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2005, 10:28:44 AM »

For fun.

Seriously, though, how can you shoot a deer?  Man, that just is something I could never do, say what you'd like.

I agree. Personally, I hunt only forum moderators in Tacoma. There's no reason to kill animals unless you're going to eat them or overpopulation is becoming dangerous.

I think people from Haddonfield, New Jersey, who are confused and think they're in Delaware are even better sport.

And their populations are wayyyyyyyyy too high.
Just like people who think Delaware is a significant state, and not a bunch of treasonous bastards who stabbed Pennsylvania in the back.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2005, 10:43:55 AM »

There really should be more deer hunting...lower the ridiculously large deer population in the US, and lower the overinflated price of venison for us non-hunters.

In other words:

Damn you, Walt Disney.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2005, 11:25:47 AM »

There really should be more deer hunting...lower the ridiculously large deer population in the US, and lower the overinflated price of venison for us non-hunters.

In other words:

Damn you, Walt Disney.
Disney's Slovenian.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2005, 12:22:44 PM »

I think hughento has a small penis and tries to overcompensate it with his gun-owner jokes Tongue
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2005, 02:17:17 PM »

A bit of both. 

It's fun, and a rite of passage for many.  It also can take a big bite of a family's meat costs.  I know numerous people who hunt for both reasons.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2005, 03:38:49 PM »

There's a huge overpopulation of deer in the northeastern US, because they lost the wolf, their natural predator.  There are so many that they are becoming a menace.  They can't be hunted in many areas because the areas are too populated.

This is an excellent point.  I remember this year they even started the hunting season early because there were so many deer.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2005, 04:10:21 PM »

A bit of both. 

It's fun, and a rite of passage for many.  It also can take a big bite of a family's meat costs.  I know numerous people who hunt for both reasons.

I know quite a few people whos' main meat supply is from hog or deer and they steer clear of store bought meats.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2005, 04:39:05 PM »

In other words:

Damn you, Walt Disney.
Disney's Slovenian.

Shocked

Really?

Well, in honor of my Slovene heritage, I will retract that comment.

Damn you, Bambi.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2005, 05:28:30 PM »

A bit of both. 

I know quite a few people whos' main meat supply is from hog or deer and they steer clear of store bought meats.

This is why I would never run as a completely anti-gun candidate.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2005, 09:45:10 PM »

In other words:

Damn you, Walt Disney.
Disney's Slovenian.

Shocked

Really?

Well, in honor of my Slovene heritage, I will retract that comment.

Damn you, Bambi.
Yep, I never heard the end of that with a Slovenian family. "Walt Disney iz a gooood mahn" is what my aunt always says to me.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2005, 12:58:40 AM »

This is an excellent point.  I remember this year they even started the hunting season early because there were so many deer.

Back when Babbit was Govenor one year they sharply cut the number of permits, the net result was deer overpopulation, which resulted in a massive die off due to inadequate forage, and a sharply reduced herd which took years to bring back.

BTW, in my area hunters donate any excess game (more than a person's freezer will hold) to the community food bank.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2005, 04:07:29 AM »

Of course, human hunters are very weak replacements for some genuine predators when it comes to natural balance. Still, better than nothing, I suppose.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2005, 12:33:26 AM »

because they lack self confidence and need to kill innocent animals for reasons beyond necessity.

Either that or they have small penises.

Wow, congratulations, you made fun of one of the two groups it's still politically correct to make fun of, gun owners and religious people.

I'm tired of every group claiming that it's the last group that its Ok to make fun of. Jay Leno makes fun of fat people every night, and so do millions of others. Zell Miller thinks that Southerners are the last group that you can make fun of. Religous Americans control almost every facet of this country right now, so they should stop whining b/c they can't get to 100% control.

People used to hunt because they needed food and materials, and some indiginous people still do. (There's an Indian tribe in Washington state that won the right to kill 1 whale a year or something like that for their traditional ceremonies, and I'm open to those needs.

But people who live in the suburbs or cities have had no reason to hunt and they do it out of the "thrill" of the chase, the joy of killing or whatever other sicko reasons they use to justify their slaughter. If the local animal population gets out of control, they should use bows/arrows or some other method. If hunters couldn't use guns the "sport" would die out pretty fast.

Uncle Jimbo from South Park: "Thin out their numbers Ned!"
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2005, 12:40:15 AM »

But people who live in the suburbs or cities have had no reason to hunt and they do it out of the "thrill" of the chase, the joy of killing or whatever other sicko reasons they use to justify their slaughter. If the local animal population gets out of control, they should use bows/arrows or some other method. If hunters couldn't use guns the "sport" would die out pretty fast.

Lies and piss poor logic abound in the above post. Pym, get a clue please.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2005, 12:45:40 AM »

because they lack self confidence and need to kill innocent animals for reasons beyond necessity.

Either that or they have small penises.

Wow, congratulations, you made fun of one of the two groups it's still politically correct to make fun of, gun owners and religious people.

I'm tired of every group claiming that it's the last group that its Ok to make fun of. Jay Leno makes fun of fat people every night, and so do millions of others. Zell Miller thinks that Southerners are the last group that you can make fun of. Religous Americans control almost every facet of this country right now, so they should stop whining b/c they can't get to 100% control.

People used to hunt because they needed food and materials, and some indiginous people still do. (There's an Indian tribe in Washington state that won the right to kill 1 whale a year or something like that for their traditional ceremonies, and I'm open to those needs.

Uncle Jimbo from South Park: "Thin out their numbers Ned!"

You really need to learn something before you post.

In Arizona we have a limited season for Javalina restricted to either Bow or Magnum Handgun.

Also, permits are limited to number of game, area game may be taken (as well as time limit).

Might I also suggest that one whose source of insight is limited to cartoons should limit his ad hominem attacks.
WiseGuy

« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2005, 08:06:03 AM »

A little bit of both.  I've never hunted, but I've fished and my dad used to hunt with my great grandfather and my grandfather.  It saves people money and helps to control the animal population, plus all these store-bought meats have tons of junk in them.  I'd say hunting is healthier, because the animal hasn't been injected with all those growth hormones and chemicals, and it's fresher than  the frozen stuff that's been sitting on the shelf for months.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2005, 01:42:04 PM »

A little bit of both.  I've never hunted, but I've fished and my dad used to hunt with my great grandfather and my grandfather.  It saves people money and helps to control the animal population, plus all these store-bought meats have tons of junk in them.  I'd say hunting is healthier, because the animal hasn't been injected with all those growth hormones and chemicals, and it's fresher than  the frozen stuff that's been sitting on the shelf for months.

Most meats in a grocery store are no older then a week and a half. I know this from experience.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2005, 02:52:21 PM »

His comments come from someone whose experience outdoors is probably restricted to Sierra Club nature hikes and who probably has never fired a gun in his life.
bejkuy

« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2005, 05:02:26 PM »

Interesting tidbit-

The two states that have the highest percentage of the overall population that affirm the right to hunt:

Pennslyvania and Arkansas.

I can't remember the percentage but I remember reading about it in my American Hunter magazine a few years back.

I was surprised that it wasn't a rocky mountain state.

It is completely natural for a man to hunt.  Why is it that the same people who claim that humans are just another animal  have a cow when animalistic humans engage in the behavior common to predators?

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2005, 05:35:43 PM »

In western PA, you actually get the first day of buck season off of school.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies