Should Bill Clinton have resigned after the Lewinsky scandal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 03:45:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should Bill Clinton have resigned after the Lewinsky scandal?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should Bill Clinton have resigned after the Lewinsky scandal?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: Should Bill Clinton have resigned after the Lewinsky scandal?  (Read 2312 times)
NoTrump
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 07, 2017, 12:16:38 AM »

I voted Yes since he abused his position of power by having sex with a much younger employee.

Also, even if the Democrats were opposed to removing Clinton from office through the impeachment process, they could have still tried pressuring him to resign. Unfortunately, they refused to do this and ended up paying the price for this when Al Gore lost to Dubya in 2000. Sad
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 12:18:57 AM »

he should have resigned after he let a million Rwandans butcher each other with kitchen utensils while he stood by and did nothing. Dick Cheney wouldn't have let that happen.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 12:22:16 AM »

he should have resigned after he let a million Rwandans butcher each other with kitchen utensils while he stood by and did nothing. Dick Cheney wouldn't have let that happen.

True, Dick Cheney wouldn't have let them have the fun of slaughtering each other when we could do it for them.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 12:28:57 AM »

True, Dick Cheney wouldn't have let them have the fun of slaughtering each other when we could do it for them.

I think you meant, "When Halliburton could get paid for doing it for them."
NoTrump
Rookie
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 12:31:20 AM »

Um ... Darfur?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 12:35:25 AM »

It looks like you would be a huge fan of John Bolton
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 12:36:03 AM »

I Purple heart John Bolton like you wouldn't believe.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 12:40:42 AM »

Is the W Bush admin your all time favorite admin (even more than other Republican admin such as Lincoln , Teddy Roosevelt,Eisenhower, Reagan).

HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 12:44:31 AM »

Is the W Bush admin your all time favorite admin (even more than other Republican admin such as Lincoln , Teddy Roosevelt,Eisenhower, Reagan).

Hell yes. I imagine a Lindsey Graham or John McCain admin would have been even better, but that never happened.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 12:47:11 AM »

Hell yes. I imagine a Lindsey Graham or John McCain admin would have been even better, but that never happened.

So from what I am getting this would be your dream admin

President: Dick Cheney
Vice President: Lindsey Graham
Sec of State: John Bolton
Sec of Defense: John McCain
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 12:54:41 AM »

If Bill Clinton had any integrity, he would have resigned.

But since he didn't resign, well..........
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 01:05:17 AM »

No. Being a bad husband isn't wrong the way sexual harrasment is.

Would you change your mind if I told you that troubled teen industry founder Mel Sembler financed the the poltical careers of the Bushes and Cheney and that both Bushe sappointed Sembler to be an ambassador?
NoTrump
Rookie
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 01:39:06 AM »

The issue wasn't him being a bad husband; rather, the issue was him exploiting and abusing his position of power.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 01:49:35 AM »

No. He had consensual sex with an adult woman. He's an adulterer, but that is not a crime, nor something that disqualifies you from holding public office.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 02:13:31 AM »

Not solely due to Lewinsky. A power imbalance is not in itself abuse; many women are attracted to powerful men, and for understandable reasons. It is only abuse if the power was leveraged coercively; this does not seem to be so in Lewinsky's case. Now, if the Juanita Broaddrick, or any number of other accusations where he forced himself on women were credible, then yes. So overall, probably still yes, but not solely due to Lewinsky.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 02:21:16 AM »

So from what I am getting this would be your dream admin

President: Dick Cheney
Vice President: Lindsey Graham
Sec of State: John Bolton
Sec of Defense: John McCain

that right there looks amazing, if the cabinet also includes Donald Rumsfeld, Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, and Susana Martinez somewhere.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 02:22:22 AM »

Would you change your mind if I told you that troubled teen industry founder Mel Sembler financed the the poltical careers of the Bushes and Cheney and that both Bushe sappointed Sembler to be an ambassador?

I see what you mean, though, that bothers me and does influence my opinion of those men. It seems to conflict with who I believe them to be in my opinion. If I were them I would have rejected the financial support of that industry.
NoTrump
Rookie
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 02:26:36 AM »

No. He had consensual sex with an adult woman. He's an adulterer, but that is not a crime, nor something that disqualifies you from holding public office.

Not solely due to Lewinsky. A power imbalance is not in itself abuse; many women are attracted to powerful men, and for understandable reasons. It is only abuse if the power was leveraged coercively; this does not seem to be so in Lewinsky's case. Now, if the Juanita Broaddrick, or any number of other accusations where he forced himself on women were credible, then yes. So overall, probably still yes, but not solely due to Lewinsky.

Do you believe that it should be legal for parents to have sex with their adult children? Also, do you think that it would be appropriate for them to do this? (Legal and appropriate are not quite the same thing.)

Basically, this is what Clinton's affair with Lewinsky should probably be compared to.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 03:39:03 AM »

Do you believe that it should be legal for parents to have sex with their adult children? Also, do you think that it would be appropriate for them to do this? (Legal and appropriate are not quite the same thing.)

Basically, this is what Clinton's affair with Lewinsky should probably be compared to.
wat
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 09:01:58 AM »

America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 12:04:36 PM »

Obviously, he's one of the biggest neo-cons on Atlas.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 02:07:51 PM »

He should have resigned/been impeached due to committing perjury and obstructing justice and not been elected in the first place due to the Paula Jones lawsuit. His relationship with Lewinsky was by all accounts a consensual affair.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 02:17:46 PM »

This.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 02:24:51 PM »

No.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia