2017 Person of the Year
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 07:55:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  2017 Person of the Year
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Who should be chosen as the 2017 Person of the Year ?
Jeff Bezos

The Dreamers

Patty Jenkins

Kim Jong Un

Colin Kaepernick

The #MeToo movement

Robert Mueller

Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman

Donald Trump

Xi Jinping

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: 2017 Person of the Year  (Read 2841 times)
Andrew
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2017, 08:11:43 PM »

Bezos would be the most fun, because of how jealous Trump is of him.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2017, 09:51:02 PM »

It won't be Kim Jong Un. TIME never picks anyone who's an enemy of the United States...

That's a relief. I was worried about this guy.

This, lol. Times sometimes names terrible people PotY and that makes sense.
With that said, I think it should be #MeToo. It's not just a hashtag, it's a large group of sexual assault victims speaking out, and they defined 2017 in many ways.

Remember, they named Giuliani Person of the Year in 2001 instead of Bin Laden (or even Bush), despite the fact Giuliani had little role in the 9/11 recovery.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 08:04:59 AM »

It's #metoo.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 08:05:52 AM »

It's #metoo.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2017, 08:07:25 AM »

Officially, it's "The Silence Breakers".

America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2017, 08:08:11 AM »

Great decision!
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2017, 08:20:09 AM »

Wow they included "Nasty woman" Ashley Judd. Should have been Xi. But alas, Time catering to their coastal people.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2017, 08:22:15 AM »

#Lame
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2017, 08:28:28 AM »

Wow they included "Nasty woman" Ashley Judd. Should have been Xi. But alas, Time catering to their coastal people.

Yeah only coastal people get sexually harassed
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2017, 08:31:54 AM »

When someone sexually molests you, come here to talk again about "nasty women" and "coastal elites".

Dick.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2017, 08:47:25 AM »

When someone sexually molests you, come here to talk again about "nasty women" and "coastal elites".

Dick.

I believe it was Ashley Judd who called herself a "nasty woman" earlier this year.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2017, 08:50:45 AM »

I believe it was Ashley Judd who called herself a "nasty woman" earlier this year.

And I believe that you should follow Abraham Lincoln's advice: better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2017, 08:52:13 AM »

And I believe that you should follow Abraham Lincoln's advice: better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

She called herself a nasty woman. She's a feminist. I wouldn't believe a word that comes out of her mouth, much less put her on a national magazine cover.

But like I said, it's the irrelevant coasts.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2017, 08:55:01 AM »

And that kind of woman makes your little willy shrivel even more.
Amirite kid?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2017, 09:01:42 AM »

Amirite kid?

I support what used to be feminism. Not modern feminism.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2017, 09:06:12 AM »

She called herself a nasty woman. She's a feminist. I wouldn't believe a word that comes out of her mouth, much less put her on a national magazine cover.

Welcome to my ignore list. Before you go, I hope you realize that the "nasty woman" phrase was picked up by women of all sorts because Trump called Hillary a "nasty woman," as if his belittling her would be worth anything. It wasn't. In addition, women's safety (and other issues facing women) is not a "coastal" issue. Unless, of course, you think women only live on the coasts, in which case you are blind in addition to being an ignoramus.

Believe it or not (because it doesn't matter if you believe it; it will still be true), most women are feminists. Not all to the extreme of others, but remember that most of the women you are encountering in your daily life believe they, too, deserve equal rights and pay, and thus are feminists. Of course, based on the way you talk, maybe you already ignore and belittle women and their words, so maybe it won't be any great loss for the women around you if you start "not believing a word" that comes out of their mouths.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2017, 09:06:25 AM »

Amirite kid?

I support what used to be feminism. Not modern feminism.

You should write a book about the difference. Maybe you could get Trump and Roy Moore to write the preface.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2017, 09:09:56 AM »

Jesus, can we let this thread not be hijacked by Naso for a change? I mean, what's the point?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2017, 09:10:42 AM »
« Edited: December 06, 2017, 09:14:10 AM by Reaganfan »

Welcome to my ignore list. Before you go, I hope you realize that the "nasty woman" phrase was picked up by women of all sorts because Trump called Hillary a "nasty woman," as if his belittling her would be worth anything. It wasn't. In addition, women's safety (and other issues facing women) is not a "coastal" issue. Unless, of course, you think women only live on the coasts, in which case you are blind in addition to being an ignoramus.

Believe it or not (because it doesn't matter if you believe it; it will still be true), most women are feminists. Not all to the extreme of others, but remember that most of the women you are encountering in your daily life believe they, too, deserve equal rights and pay, and thus are feminists. Of course, based on the way you talk, maybe you already ignore and belittle women and their words, so maybe it won't be any great loss for the women around you if you start "not believing a word" that comes out of their mouths.

Feminism used to mean equality. What it means today is holding back men so women can succeed which is obviously NOT equality.

FYI, almost every woman I know out here in Ohio voted for Trump and thought Hillary was a nasty woman, so your point is not valid.

PS. Thanks for Wisconsin's 10 electoral votes too.

Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2017, 09:18:56 AM »

Jesus, can we let this thread not be hijacked by Naso for a change? I mean, what's the point?

Apologies. I tried to keep my response on-point. It is important to address what he's said about women and feminism because they are common responses to minimize women speaking out, which is exactly why Time is doing what they're doing. No longer can the average American hide behind "I didn't know!" or "that only happens to X women." It's everywhere and a majority of women have been affected, as have many men.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2017, 09:22:40 AM »

Apologies. I tried to keep my response on-point. It is important to address what he's said about women and feminism because they are common responses to minimize women speaking out, which is exactly why Time is doing what they're doing. No longer can the average American hide behind "I didn't know!" or "that only happens to X women." It's everywhere and a majority of women have been affected, as have many men.

I never said they weren't or tried to downplay the validity of some. However, this identity politics crusade from the left has to stop. It's out of control.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2017, 09:29:44 AM »

Naso, your definition of modern feminism sounds a lot like what people complained about the "old" feminism. People always find ways to resist changes to the status quo and if you're going to change the past in doing so, you should at least realize it.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2017, 09:45:39 AM »

Naso's complaints make it sound like a qualified woman got a promotion he was hoping for because he was expecting them to give it to the best man for the job instead of the best person.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2017, 09:58:35 AM »

Looks like Trump should get some credit here. Without the actions and example of the Grabber-in-Chief, I doubt this would have happened here and now.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2017, 10:00:01 AM »

Looks like Trump should get some credit here. Without the actions and example of the Grabber-in-Chief, I doubt this would have happened here and now.

See? He's making America great.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies