Why is Sangamon County, Illinois so Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:33:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Why is Sangamon County, Illinois so Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is Sangamon County, Illinois so Republican?  (Read 2177 times)
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 28, 2017, 07:27:45 PM »

Sangamon is home to Springfield, the state capital, which is chock full of unionized government employees. Yet it voted 50-41 Trump, and 53-41 Kirk. The city of Springfield itself is divided into 3 HoR districts, two of them Republican. Why is this?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 07:36:10 PM »

Downstate Illinois' hatred of all things Chicago, including their Democratic party machine, is part of it.

Aside from the state government, Sangamon County is just a very white (84%), medium-sized county of about 200,000 in the Midwest. Those counties tend to vote Republican.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 07:37:08 PM »

Downstate Illinois' hatred of all things Chicago, including their Democratic party machine, is part of it.

Aside from the state government, Sangamon County is just a very white (84%), medium-sized county of about 200,000 in the Midwest. Those counties tend to vote Republican.
Yup.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 10:33:28 PM »

I have never been able to understand why the state government doesn't tip the county Dem more often. It makes up a huge chunk of the county's workforce, and I really do doubt that many of them are voting Republican regardless of their thoughts on Chicago.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 11:30:56 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2017, 09:35:18 AM by TRIPLE ROCK »

Plus Peoria, Rockford, Champaign and the Quad Cities don't vote Republican.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 09:29:12 AM »

Wow, Springfield's municipal boundaries are a sight to see.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 09:49:41 AM »

Yet like BRTD said, there are so many other white medium seized counties in Downstate Illinois that tend to vote Democratic.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 04:00:06 PM »

Just looked it up and god that’s awful. We’re lucky to be in New England where you know exactly where a town ends and they all look good on a map. What’s with the rest of the country? Houston is even worse

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 04:53:42 PM »

Just looked it up and god that’s awful. We’re lucky to be in New England where you know exactly where a town ends and they all look good on a map. What’s with the rest of the country? Houston is even worse

Columbus, OH and Madison, WI are pretty bad too.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 12:12:43 AM »

Sangamon County is an example of suburban/rural influence being stronger than urban influence. If you look at the precinct results for the last two general elections, you will notice that the city of Springfield proper and some other adjacent areas were won by the Democrats, but the Republicans won almost all other parts of the county.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 04:37:43 PM »

3/4 you named are quite industrial and Champaign has a large university.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 05:09:44 PM »

The Chicago suburbs are pretty bad also (Chicago itself would be better if not for the airport). I think it should be illegal for cities to have non-contiguous borders and/or be in more than one county.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 06:22:25 PM »

The Chicago suburbs are pretty bad also (Chicago itself would be better if not for the airport). I think it should be illegal for cities to have non-contiguous borders and/or be in more than one county.
No. Practicality is more important then neat borders.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 04:00:25 PM »

Rockford and Peoria BARELY voted for Hillary, and the surrounding counties that make up their metro areas voted very, very Republican (and usually do).  Champaign, while usually Democratic due to the U of I, is noticeably less Democratic than areas like Iowa City.  Rock Island County (Quad Cities), however, is pretty solidly Democratic.
Hydera

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 04:56:34 PM »

http://www.justicemap.org/index.php?gsLayer=income&gfLon=-89.64517383&gfLat=39.80324742&giZoom=14&giAdvanced=1&

A lot of high income suburbs around Springfield.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 09:39:25 PM »

Slightly off topic, but re the discussion above of municipal boundaries, Madison's boundaries are gradually going to get more rationalized over the next couple of decades. The city is going to absorb all the discontinuous parcels within it that are still part of unincorporated Towns (which is Wisconsin-speak for townships), with the Towns of Madison and Blooming Grove going out of existence, and then it has "final boundary agreements" with a bunch of the surrounding municipalities.

King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 11:17:22 PM »

I generally know my US counties pretty well, but I have to admit I had to look this one up.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 02:31:25 PM »

I am pretty sure the city of Springfield proper goes Democrat, it is the suburbs and rural portions that the GOP tends to run up the margins.  Despite a lot of state employees it is in the heart of the Midwest which swung heavily towards Trump as well as on the northern edge of the Bible Belt so quite socially conservative.  Also not everyone is a state employee, you have a lot of blue collar workers who GOP has made gains amongst as well as I believe the percentage with a college degree is below the national average as a rule of thumb anywhere that you had a lot of whites without a college degree tended to back Trump.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 08:16:06 PM »

Rockford and Peoria BARELY voted for Hillary, and the surrounding counties that make up their metro areas voted very, very Republican (and usually do).  Champaign, while usually Democratic due to the U of I, is noticeably less Democratic than areas like Iowa City.  Rock Island County (Quad Cities), however, is pretty solidly Democratic.

Um...Peoria County went to Hillary. If Peoria BARELY went to her and the areas around it voted very, very Republican...
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 02:35:43 PM »

Um...Peoria County went to Hillary. If Peoria BARELY went to her and the areas around it voted very, very Republican...

The counties around Peoria County that make up the rest of the metro area are very Republican.  Peoria County barely went to Hillary.  The city of Peoria, for being 30% Black, was extremely close.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies