December 19, 2021
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:28:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  December 19, 2021
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Will she?
Yes.
No.
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: December 19, 2021  (Read 4854 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2020, 06:53:09 AM »
« edited: November 23, 2020, 07:01:21 AM by ByeDon/Harris »

I understand what you are driving at. Maybe the party officials are really going to elect Laschet to the chairmanship in a backroom deal, ...

Since the new CDU chairman is going to be elected in an open party convention, there won't exactly be a backroom deal here. Of course each candidate will canvass for support among the delegates. But my point was since Laschet is the establishment candidate and and the convention delegates are party establishment this means an advantage for Laschet that isn't reflected in opinion polls of CDU/CSU voters.

... but I can't imagine how they would dare to opt against the most popular Union candidate after the Queen herself when it come to the selection of the chancellorship nominee.

I tried to sum up the possible reasons in my previous posts:

- We don't actually know yet whether Söder wants to run for Chancellor. Granted, it's more than possible that he will in the end with all his previous statements to the contrary merely having been tactical, but we don't know that for certain yet. He at least seems to keep himself the option open of becoming the next Franz Josef Strauß, that is being a very popular long-term Bavarian minister-president who frequently attacks a CDU-led federal government from his safe and comfortable position down south.

- Some in the CDU may have reservations to outsource the Chancellor-candidacy to someone from "another" political party, especially if there are a number of high-profile people within the CDU who would want to become Chancellor themselves.

- There might be reservations within the CDU to give it to the CSU because in the previous two instances that happened the CDU/CSU eventually lost the election (and at the very least this would be one of the arguments brought forward by Laschet supporters as to why their man should be Chancellor-candidate).

- We don't know for certain whom the previous Merz/Röttgen/Spahn support would coalesce around if it ends up a straight Laschet/Söder two-man contest. My guess is that most Merz supporters might go for Söder, while Laschet would end up with the Röttgen/Spahn camp (espcially since Spahn has already formed an alliance with Laschet). It also depends on how good and how fast Laschet would be able to consolidate his position within the CDU once elected chairman. The days and weeks immediately after a Laschet election would be critical. He'd probably receive a bit of a convention/election bump (depending on how decisive the vote for him at the convention would have been), that he then needs to further build into momentum against Söder.

- Söder is seen as a maverick and maybe even a bit of a loose cannon due to his behaviour and the unilateral actions he sometimes had undertaken during the COVID crisis in Bavaria, while Laschet is more regarded as a team player and bridge builder. CDU establishment might be more comfortable with him rather than Söder.

- The COVID pandemic isn't over yet and there's still room for something unpredictable to happen that tarnishes Söder's reputation.

- Unlike the party chairmanship, the Chancellor-candidacy will most likely be decided in backroom deals in which the aforementioned factors might come into play.

All that being said, it's of course quite possible that Söder will indeed become CDU/CSU Chancellor-candidate - and even Germany's next Chancellor - in the end. I'm merely warning against treating him as someone inevitable. I wouldn't count Laschet out yet, although the NRW minister-president isn't exactly inevitable either.

Don't forget, Laschet has also had his scandals, for example his unfair bashing of Romanians and Bulgarians during the Tönnies affair.

Can't really see Laschet getting hurt by that - very minor - scandal. I mean I even forgot that this episode even happened until I read it here now. It's true though that Laschet's reputation had been a bit tarnished by his push to open up society and the economy faster this spring which almost made him look like a mini-Trump/Bolsonaro. Since then I had the impression that he toned down this behaviour though.

The bottom line is that I didn't know if brucejoel99 was talking about the CDU chair or about the Union's nominee for chancellor. I zeroes in on the latter, whereas you fixate on the former.

I wasn't aware that I "fixated" on anything, since I tried to give my assessement on both the CDU chairmanship and CDU/CSU Chancellor-candicacy races.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2020, 10:48:14 AM »

Söder is seen as a maverick and maybe even a bit of a loose cannon due to his behaviour and the unilateral actions he sometimes had undertaken during the COVID crisis in Bavaria, while Laschet is more regarded as a team player and bridge builder. CDU establishment might be more comfortable with him rather than Söder.

Or as Söder likes to put it: Laschet is a sensitive person. 😛

Armin Laschet is reported to be a direct descendant of Charlemagne, the first Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation. Guess where he reigned the Carolingian Empire. Exactly, in Aachen - where Laschet comes from. 😅
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2020, 05:31:44 PM »

Ooooooooh, before I forget the most important information about this topic:
The reason for Merkel's success passed way on Friday:
VIP coiffeur Udo Walz died on November 20 at the age of 76.
Among his clientele were national and international celebrities such as Marlene Dietrich, Maria Callas, Twiggy, Romy Schneider, Sarah Connor, Claudia Schiffer, Heidi Klum, Julia Roberts, Naomi Campbell, Chancellor Gerhard Schröder and RAF terrorist Ulrike Meinhof.

At the beginning of her career, Merkel was heavily criticized, mocked, and parodied for her outmoded looks, her frumpy appearance, and especially for her antiquated hairdo.
Hence, her spin doctors thought she needed a radical makeover and therefore hired Udo Walz.
As unlikable as he may have been, he obviously did a good job. His major contract was also a win-win situation for him as he consequently became some kind of TV star; he was a welcome guest on several talk shows and he regularly played minor roles in late-night and comedy shows.
R.I.P.

Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2021, 12:29:33 AM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2021, 01:33:11 AM »

If today's chancellor candidate news ultimately results in a tumultuous campaign & super-close result a-la 2005 (& then perhaps a long-ass government formation process a-la 2017/18), then Merkel might just end up making it after all.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2021, 04:00:06 AM »

Yes, I expect any coalition talks to last to at least christmas, if not into January.

I always wondered whether Kohl would have run for sixth term in 2022 if he won in 1998 again.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2021, 07:32:51 AM »

Yes, I expect any coalition talks to last to at least christmas, if not into January.

I always wondered whether Kohl would have run for sixth term in 2022 2002 if he won in 1998 again.

No. Not only because he was already in frail heath, but there was also the gruesome demise of his wife Hannelore in 2001.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2021, 08:27:13 AM »

I always wondered whether Kohl would have run for sixth term in 2022 if he won in 1998 again.

Well, PredictIt's cut-off point is New Years, so I have to ask: What are the odds that Merkel is still Chancellor on 31/12?
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2021, 07:12:53 PM »

*BUMP*

I've reset all vote counts to 0 due to current events.
Prior to that, the results were 65% yes and 35% no.

Angela Merkel already broke another record last year: She has been the longest-serving member of the Federal Government (which is known to consist of the chancellor and the ministers) of all post-war cabinet members.
From 1990 to 1994 she was Minister for Women and Youth, and from 1994 to 1998 she held the office of Minister for Environment. Since November 22, 2005 she has been occupying the chancellorship.
That comes to 8,230 days of having been a cabinet member on August 24, 2020.

That day she consequently broke Hans-Dietrich Genscher's record, who had been Interior or Foreign Minster for 8,229 days from 1969 through to 1992 (bar some weeks in 1982 thanks to the FDP's treacherous backstabbing of Helmut Schmidt).

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies