Why did Mitt Romney select Paul Ryan as his running mate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 07:07:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why did Mitt Romney select Paul Ryan as his running mate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why did Mitt Romney select Paul Ryan as his running mate  (Read 3610 times)
uti2

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 02:44:19 AM »

Swing state Wisconsin, that and most people pick based on whom they can work with.

It's not like the needle really gets moved that much anyway.

But Ryan never won a state wide race in Wisconsin , and anyway Romney needed Florida and Ohio a lot more .

This. He should have went for Rubio.

I totally agree. He would have helped Romney to win states with massive Hispanic population like his home state of Florida, Colorado, Nevada and probably also New Mexico.

In addition, as we saw in most of the debates he participated, Rubio is clearly a better debater than Ryan who often looked intimitated during the vice-presidential debate with Joe Biden and even got his ass kicked with Biden's « Now you're Jack Kennedy » line. Meanwhile, Rubio is more charismatic and smarter and he often strongly countered attacks against him during debates like when he slammed Jeb Bush for targetting Rubio on his vote record because they were both running for the same office while Jeb could have done the same to John McCain in 2008 even if he wasn't running against McCain. Another example is when Ted Cruz attacked Rubio on immigration reform while referring to an interview in Spanish after which Rubio replied « I don't know how he knows what I said on Univision because he doesn't speak Spanish. »

So I think Rubio would have performed better during the 2012 vice-presidential debate against Biden than Ryan did.

Rubio's style was to use memorized speeches in response to an expected question, most prominently featured in the examples you mention, particularly with Jeb. Biden is more of an informal/off-the-cuff debater similar to Christie & Trump. Rubio himself didn't make a mistake against Christie at the time, he did what he thought was correct, he was closely following this strategy. In the few days following the debate, Rubio went out of his way to repeat the same line over and over again when he was asked about it.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/02/rubio-defends-his-repetition-of-talking-point.html

That particular Cruz example isn't a good one, Cruz did respond back in spanish.

Rubio would do better against someone who uses the exact same debate style that he does (but who is less polished on that front) like Tim Kaine, but not an off-the-cuff candidate like Biden.

Christie's argument was quite literally empirically proven correct: he said rubio only knew how to respond in memorized speeches, which he did, and then he predicted that he would get disorderly when he tried to abandon the tactic, which is exactly what happened.

The unscripted Rubio was the one seen in the last couple of debates wherein he had to descend into juvenile jokes (exactly like Christie predicted it: 'gets [very] unruly when he gets off his talking points'). If you want to compare acts, Biden had more mature jokes in comparison.

(By the way, I know that rubio still had some in his camp who contemporaneously suggested that he did a good job by repeating himself, and I suspect that you were one of them at the time, with you only changing your mind after-the-fact).
Pennsylvania Deplorable

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 02:44:40 AM »

After Walker's victory in Wisconsin, I think Romney thought he could win WI with Ryan's help. Ryan was also known as a budget hawk and the national debt was still a big GOP talking point back then. Ryan also added a more youthful look to the campaign. Of course, just being younger didn't automatically make him a compelling figure who could connect with people and he fell flat on every occasion. I think it was down to him or Rubio. Rubio might have helped Romney win Florida, but he wouldn't have helped much elsewhere.
uti2

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 02:52:52 AM »

With full hindsight, Kelly Ayotte, Bob McDonnell, or a top foreign policy person(say, Condoleezza Rice or Zalmay Khalilzad) would work very well.

To answer the question, Romney wanted someone who could help him unite the Tea Party base (while having the necessary experience for the job, so he could use the experience argument against Obama), he didn't want someone seen as being 'too establishment' like himself.

Believe it or not, at the time, Ryan was quite popular with the base. Breitbart praised him day in and day out.

^There was also the WI element as the above poster points out
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 09:54:48 AM »

With full hindsight, Kelly Ayotte, Bob McDonnell, or a top foreign policy person(say, Condoleezza Rice or Zalmay Khalilzad) would work very well.

To answer the question, Romney wanted someone who could help him unite the Tea Party base (while having the necessary experience for the job, so he could use the experience argument against Obama), he didn't want someone seen as being 'too establishment' like himself.

Believe it or not, at the time, Ryan was quite popular with the base. Breitbart praised him day in and day out.

^There was also the WI element as the above poster points out

I don't know why Ryan wouldn't be popular with the base ... the fact that some now call him of all people a "RINO" is truly telling of the Breitbart crowd.
Pennsylvania Deplorable

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2017, 11:19:30 PM »

I don't know why Ryan wouldn't be popular with the base ... the fact that some now call him of all people a "RINO" is truly telling of the Breitbart crowd.
I think it started with him surrendering on the debt ceiling issue and passing omnibus (he was before that adored by hardcore fiscal conservatives). His attacks on Trump even during the general election cycle, support for mass immigration, and (real or perceived) support for establishment republican incumbents over tea party challengers all contributed as well. Trump also instilled in the base a deep suspicion of GOP megadonors like the Koch brothers and (not without reason) Ryan is seen as their puppet.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2017, 11:59:31 PM »

I think it started with him surrendering on the debt ceiling issue and passing omnibus (he was before that adored by hardcore fiscal conservatives). His attacks on Trump even during the general election cycle, support for mass immigration, and (real or perceived) support for establishment republican incumbents over tea party challengers all contributed as well. Trump also instilled in the base a deep suspicion of GOP megadonors like the Koch brothers and (not without reason) Ryan is seen as their puppet.

How would a think tank shill who has not had an original thought that wasn't fed to him by people still stuck in 1986 (more think tank shills from an older generation), be popular with the base of the Republican Party?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies