IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 01:39:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 48
Author Topic: IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!  (Read 82102 times)
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #975 on: March 20, 2018, 09:45:17 PM »

Somewhere, Richard Daley's corpse is smiling, as he covers up some police brutality.

Chicago politics are really depressing.

No. It's too close, they won't call it until almost everything's in.

I think you and I are arguing about different things here; I don't really care about someone's private beliefs. What I care about is if those private beliefs either become public or lead to them trying to advocate against the equality of every American citizen. Because that is a terrible thing to do, because it hurts people.

No, you aren't. You said:

I think homophobes are bad people. Like, fundamentally. I don't care if they donate to charity or saved kittens from a burning building, if you think there should be one set of rights for one group of people and another for another group of people, that's pretty terrible.

Most people don't care as much about politics as we do, and most people don't try to put people into 'HP' or 'FF' boxes. Condemning people for their political beliefs is in almost every case wrong, especially when you are talking about socialized, private beliefs.
Kapartsky, I guess I'm just wondering if you'd feel the same about someone who was racist? Or an antisemitie? Misogynist? Would that be terrible, or not? Is it just homophobia that wouldn't condemn someone to meet your definition of "terrible"? If they said black and white people shouldn't be married, would that make someone terrible?

I'm not accusing you of anything, I'm honestly just curious. Because I'd actually think it's kind of noble that you'd look for goodness in those people, when I can't.

I really hope so. Smiley

Wink
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #976 on: March 20, 2018, 09:45:22 PM »

As a populist Democrat who supported Newman, this thread is just cancer for me. 
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #977 on: March 20, 2018, 09:45:27 PM »

The issue wasn't that Newman was pro-life. He machine barely eked it out for Lipinski.

Yeah, Lipinski got a net 4K votes from the city of Chicago, 4x his winning margin. He can thank Madigan for the 2 year extension on his congressional shelftime.

What did Madigan do?

He made Marie Newman an unelectable candidate, apparently.

How can we blame Madigan for the voting patterns of other people? It's not like he stuffed a bunch of Lipinski votes inside, now did he?
AtorBoltox

« Reply #978 on: March 20, 2018, 09:45:52 PM »

Marie Newman ran a good campaign. But next time let's not go with a generic white liberal.
Yup. She pulled an Emily Cain.

Run to the district. Nominate someone pro-life, or at least not as strenuously pro-choice.

I am glad about the outcome. At least this preserves some ideological diversity within the Democratic caucus.
I mean Manchin and Cuellar and Costa were still gonna be there regardless...

I don't think running an anti-abortion candidate would be the best idea. But acting like the campaign is entirely about abortion is stupid. Find a candidate who is (1) a minority, and (2) can campaign on a variety of issues. Because there is a lot wrong with Lipinski.

In reality though I think Lipinski retires in 2020.

Also, dear homophobes in this thread: you are still scum.

The statement of an ideological extremist. It is unfortunate that such types seem to predominate on this board.
You have a really skewed view of the world. Not liking homophobes is extremist now?
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #979 on: March 20, 2018, 09:46:02 PM »

Newman is definitely the candidate to run for this seat once Lipinski retires.  She's earned it.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #980 on: March 20, 2018, 09:47:02 PM »

Never forget that Lipinski ran a campaign of dirty tricks and deception
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #981 on: March 20, 2018, 09:47:32 PM »

Somewhere, Richard Daley's corpse is smiling, as he covers up some police brutality.

Chicago politics are really depressing.

No. It's too close, they won't call it until almost everything's in.

I think you and I are arguing about different things here; I don't really care about someone's private beliefs. What I care about is if those private beliefs either become public or lead to them trying to advocate against the equality of every American citizen. Because that is a terrible thing to do, because it hurts people.

No, you aren't. You said:

I think homophobes are bad people. Like, fundamentally. I don't care if they donate to charity or saved kittens from a burning building, if you think there should be one set of rights for one group of people and another for another group of people, that's pretty terrible.

Most people don't care as much about politics as we do, and most people don't try to put people into 'HP' or 'FF' boxes. Condemning people for their political beliefs is in almost every case wrong, especially when you are talking about socialized, private beliefs.
Kapartsky, I guess I'm just wondering if you'd feel the same about someone who was racist? Or an antisemitie? Misogynist? Would that be terrible, or not? Is it just homophobia that wouldn't condemn someone to meet your definition of "terrible"? If they said black and white people shouldn't be married, would that make someone terrible?

I'm not accusing you of anything, I'm honestly just curious. Because I'd actually think it's kind of noble that you'd look for goodness in those people, when I can't.

I really hope so. Smiley

Wink

Wow. Brings a tear to my eye.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #982 on: March 20, 2018, 09:47:58 PM »

The issue wasn't that Newman was pro-life. He machine barely eked it out for Lipinski.

Yeah, Lipinski got a net 4K votes from the city of Chicago, 4x his winning margin. He can thank Madigan for the 2 year extension on his congressional shelftime.

What did Madigan do?

How can we blame Madigan for the voting patterns of other people? It's not like he stuffed a bunch of Lipinski votes inside, now did he?

Waiting for the obligatory “Devout Catholics bused in from Warsaw”.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #983 on: March 20, 2018, 09:48:36 PM »

AtorBoltox

« Reply #984 on: March 20, 2018, 09:48:53 PM »

What did Madigan do?

No, just the 'obligatory' fact that he pretended he supported Obama and mass texted some BS about how Newman wanted to ban nuns.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #985 on: March 20, 2018, 09:49:45 PM »

hot take-newman can still win this- we have a whole 10% out, and no one seems to know how it will lean.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #986 on: March 20, 2018, 09:49:52 PM »

Democrats say get money out of politics....nominates JB
Democrats say stop the attacks on women's health care and ACA....nominates Lipinski

Rofl
AtorBoltox

« Reply #987 on: March 20, 2018, 09:50:27 PM »

Reminder that Lipinski is to the right of Claire McCaskill while representing a safe Democratic seat that went to Hillary by 15 points
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #988 on: March 20, 2018, 09:50:54 PM »

What did Madigan do?

No, just the 'obligatory' fact that he pretended he supported Obama and mass texted some BS about how Newman wanted to ban nuns.
Considering the fact that Newman failed to adequately respond and defend herself from those attacks, you can admit that it worked, no?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #989 on: March 20, 2018, 09:51:15 PM »

Marie Newman ran a good campaign. But next time let's not go with a generic white liberal.
Yup. She pulled an Emily Cain.

Run to the district. Nominate someone pro-life, or at least not as strenuously pro-choice.

I am glad about the outcome. At least this preserves some ideological diversity within the Democratic caucus.
I mean Manchin and Cuellar and Costa were still gonna be there regardless...

I don't think running an anti-abortion candidate would be the best idea. But acting like the campaign is entirely about abortion is stupid. Find a candidate who is (1) a minority, and (2) can campaign on a variety of issues. Because there is a lot wrong with Lipinski.

In reality though I think Lipinski retires in 2020.

Also, dear homophobes in this thread: you are still scum.

The statement of an ideological extremist. It is unfortunate that such types seem to predominate on this board.
You have a really skewed view of the world. Not liking homophobes is extremist now?

I did not say that. I'm saying that many of the posters on this forum are willing to rip into other people first, before having a debate over the issues.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #990 on: March 20, 2018, 09:51:18 PM »

Why can't these guys just suck it up and concede? Face it - you lost a heavily Republican state / district because you suck and/or ran a sucky campaign.

Not conceding makes them look like man babies.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #991 on: March 20, 2018, 09:51:32 PM »

Democrats say get money out of politics....nominates JB
Democrats say stop the attacks on women's health care and ACA....nominates Lipinski

Rofl
Yeah Illinois represents everything wrong with American politics
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #992 on: March 20, 2018, 09:51:45 PM »

Reminder that Lipinski is to the right of Claire McCaskill while representing a safe Democratic seat that went to Hillary by 15 points

Yes and we won't forget it.  That's why we reelected him.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #993 on: March 20, 2018, 09:51:53 PM »

hot take-newman can still win this- we have a whole 10% out, and no one seems to know how it will lean.
It's from Cook County, Lipinski's base of support. She can still win this, it'd just be really, really surprising.

He's to the right of Heitkamp imho
AtorBoltox

« Reply #994 on: March 20, 2018, 09:52:22 PM »

What did Madigan do?

Considering the fact that Newman failed to adequately respond and defend herself from those attacks, you can admit that it worked, no?
Um..yes? That's my entire point? I'm saying Lipinski won because of these dirty tactics and lies
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #995 on: March 20, 2018, 09:52:27 PM »

One more post supporting a Nazi and I'm locking this.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #996 on: March 20, 2018, 09:53:19 PM »

Who's doing this?
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #997 on: March 20, 2018, 09:54:03 PM »

Who's doing this?

IIRC the OP can lock any thread the OP creates. 
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #998 on: March 20, 2018, 09:54:30 PM »

We live to fight another day. Donna Edwards ran a spirited campaign against the incumbent in 2006 and barely lost, but she ran again in 2008 and wiped the floor with the incumbent. Let’s hope Marie Newman follows the same projectory into Congress in 2020.
Pshh, next time don't piss off the Dem base in the district. 90s-Neoliberal/Identity Politics/Any-Generic-Woman-Would-Do-ism needs to be a thing of the past.

You're calling the Bernie Sanders-endorsed primary opponent of an anti-ACA conservative Democrat "neoliberal?"

A lot of people on this forum have this bizarre idea that if you're left-wing/liberal on one issue you have to "sacrifice" by being conservative on another issue.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #999 on: March 20, 2018, 09:54:54 PM »

Hmm.. you are the masta
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 48  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies