IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 11:40:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 48
Author Topic: IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!  (Read 81731 times)
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: March 20, 2018, 09:37:36 PM »

The issue wasn't that Newman was pro-life. He machine barely eked it out for Lipinski.

Yeah, Lipinski got a net 4K votes from the city of Chicago, 4x his winning margin. He can thank Madigan for the 2 year extension on his congressional shelftime.

...Or Catholic Hispanics felt threatened for obvoious reasons.  Dan didn't get his margin in Chicago out of Archie Bunker.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #951 on: March 20, 2018, 09:37:48 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2018, 09:41:34 PM by Southern Delegate TimTurner »

Has AP called the race yet? I mean 10% are still out...
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #952 on: March 20, 2018, 09:38:32 PM »

The issue wasn't that Newman was pro-life. He machine barely eked it out for Lipinski.

Yeah, Lipinski got a net 4K votes from the city of Chicago, 4x his winning margin. He can thank Madigan for the 2 year extension on his congressional shelftime.

What did Madigan do?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #953 on: March 20, 2018, 09:38:32 PM »

Marie Newman ran a good campaign. But next time let's not go with a generic white liberal.
Yup. She pulled an Emily Cain.

Run to the district. Nominate someone pro-life, or at least not as strenuously pro-choice.

I am glad about the outcome. At least this preserves some ideological diversity within the Democratic caucus.
I mean Manchin and Cuellar and Costa were still gonna be there regardless...

I don't think running an anti-abortion candidate would be the best idea. But acting like the campaign is entirely about abortion is stupid. Find a candidate who is (1) a minority, and (2) can campaign on a variety of issues. Because there is a lot wrong with Lipinski.

In reality though I think Lipinski retires in 2020.

Also, dear homophobes in this thread: you are still scum.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #954 on: March 20, 2018, 09:38:43 PM »

Bad news. How surprising... not. Anyway, more proof that men like Dan Lipinski are allowed to be conservative and still win while women like Hillary are not.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #955 on: March 20, 2018, 09:39:08 PM »

Congratulations to Congressman Lipinski Madigan for a  well-earned rigged victory!!!
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #956 on: March 20, 2018, 09:39:12 PM »

Funny how supporters of "progressive goddess" Newman are down to support a literal Nazi. Hmm, noted.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #957 on: March 20, 2018, 09:39:35 PM »

...Or Catholic Hispanics felt threatened for obvoious reasons.  Dan didn't get his margin in Chicago out of Archie Bunker.

Lipinskis's district was gerrymandered to reduce the Latino percentage from 24% to 20%
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #958 on: March 20, 2018, 09:39:43 PM »

Funny how supporters of "progressive goddess" Newman are down to support a literal Nazi. Hmm, noted.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #959 on: March 20, 2018, 09:40:35 PM »

Marie Newman ran a good campaign. But next time let's not go with a generic white liberal.

Run to the district. Nominate someone pro-life, or at least not as strenuously pro-choice.

I am glad about the outcome. At least this preserves some ideological diversity within the Democratic caucus.

But a Newman victory here would have accelerated the drive towards ideological purity.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #960 on: March 20, 2018, 09:40:53 PM »

This is a sad day for the state of Illinois.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #961 on: March 20, 2018, 09:41:31 PM »

When has it ever not been a sad day for Illinois?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #962 on: March 20, 2018, 09:41:36 PM »

What did Madigan do?

He made Marie Newman an unelectable candidate, apparently.
Babeuf

« Reply #963 on: March 20, 2018, 09:41:56 PM »

Too bad about the result. I'm sure there will be another attempt in 2020, and if he manages to win again then we'll challenge him the next time. 49% is a pretty good result against an entrenched incumbent, Newman should be the one to try again.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #964 on: March 20, 2018, 09:42:03 PM »

Again:

The GE isn't going to be remotely competitive so it really doesn't matter but please vote for Lipinski over the Nazi.

You aren't helping things.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #965 on: March 20, 2018, 09:42:10 PM »

I don't think running an anti-abortion candidate would be the best idea. But acting like the campaign is entirely about abortion is stupid. Find a candidate who is (1) a minority, and (2) can campaign on a variety of issues. Because there is a lot wrong with Lipinski.

In reality though I think Lipinski retires in 2020.

Also, dear homophobes in this thread: you are still scum.

The statement of an ideological extremist. It is unfortunate that such types seem to predominate on this board.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #966 on: March 20, 2018, 09:42:14 PM »

We live to fight another day. Donna Edwards ran a spirited campaign against the incumbent in 2006 and barely lost, but she ran again in 2008 and wiped the floor with the incumbent. Let’s hope Marie Newman follows the same projectory into Congress in 2020.
Pshh, next time don't piss off the Dem base in the district. 90s-Neoliberal/Identity Politics/Any-Generic-Woman-Would-Do-ism needs to be a thing of the past.

You're calling the Bernie Sanders-endorsed primary opponent of an anti-ACA conservative Democrat "neoliberal?"
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #967 on: March 20, 2018, 09:42:54 PM »

Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #968 on: March 20, 2018, 09:43:12 PM »

What did Madigan do?

He made Marie Newman an unelectable candidate, apparently.
I can imagine Madigan and his machine thugs putting a gun to her head forcing Newman to hate Catholics. What a laugh.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #969 on: March 20, 2018, 09:43:20 PM »

Somewhere, Richard Daley's corpse is smiling, as he covers up some police brutality.

Chicago politics are really depressing.

No. It's too close, they won't call it until almost everything's in.

I think you and I are arguing about different things here; I don't really care about someone's private beliefs. What I care about is if those private beliefs either become public or lead to them trying to advocate against the equality of every American citizen. Because that is a terrible thing to do, because it hurts people.

No, you aren't. You said:

I think homophobes are bad people. Like, fundamentally. I don't care if they donate to charity or saved kittens from a burning building, if you think there should be one set of rights for one group of people and another for another group of people, that's pretty terrible.

Most people don't care as much about politics as we do, and most people don't try to put people into 'HP' or 'FF' boxes. Condemning people for their political beliefs is in almost every case wrong, especially when you are talking about socialized, private beliefs.
Kapartsky, I guess I'm just wondering if you'd feel the same about someone who was racist? Or an antisemitie? Misogynist? Would that be terrible, or not? Is it just homophobia that wouldn't condemn someone to meet your definition of "terrible"? If they said black and white people shouldn't be married, would that make someone terrible?

I'm not accusing you of anything, I'm honestly just curious. Because I'd actually think it's kind of noble that you'd look for goodness in those people, when I can't.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #970 on: March 20, 2018, 09:43:24 PM »

When has it ever not been a sad day for Illinois?

10/26/2005
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #971 on: March 20, 2018, 09:43:32 PM »

Lipinskis's district was gerrymandered to reduce the Latino percentage from 24% to 20%

Or were they redistricted into Luis Gutierrez' district to ensure they were represented by a Latino? Cmon, this wasn't done in order to "save" Lipinski's district.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #972 on: March 20, 2018, 09:44:18 PM »

Somewhere, Richard Daley's corpse is smiling, as he covers up some police brutality.

Chicago politics are really depressing.

No. It's too close, they won't call it until almost everything's in.

I think you and I are arguing about different things here; I don't really care about someone's private beliefs. What I care about is if those private beliefs either become public or lead to them trying to advocate against the equality of every American citizen. Because that is a terrible thing to do, because it hurts people.

No, you aren't. You said:

I think homophobes are bad people. Like, fundamentally. I don't care if they donate to charity or saved kittens from a burning building, if you think there should be one set of rights for one group of people and another for another group of people, that's pretty terrible.

Most people don't care as much about politics as we do, and most people don't try to put people into 'HP' or 'FF' boxes. Condemning people for their political beliefs is in almost every case wrong, especially when you are talking about socialized, private beliefs.
Kapartsky, I guess I'm just wondering if you'd feel the same about someone who was racist? Or an antisemitie? Misogynist? Would that be terrible, or not? Is it just homophobia that wouldn't condemn someone to meet your definition of "terrible"? If they said black and white people shouldn't be married, would that make someone terrible?

I'm not accusing you of anything, I'm honestly just curious. Because I'd actually think it's kind of noble that you'd look for goodness in those people, when I can't.

I really hope so. Smiley
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #973 on: March 20, 2018, 09:44:41 PM »

What was the date of Obama defeating Alan Keyes? That was pretty good.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #974 on: March 20, 2018, 09:45:10 PM »

While obviously the Newman supporters here who are OK with Nazis are terrible, be honest: 99% of Arthur Jones's votes in the GE will come from Republicans, not angry liberals on Atlas.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 48  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies