Landslides

(1/7) > >>

WilliamStone1776:
What is the threshold of EVs or percentage of the PV to be considered a landslide?

muon2:
I made and posted this graph back in 2009. It includes all the elections from 1900 to 2008. The vertical axis is the number of electoral votes for the winner and the horizontal axis is the winners margin of victory expressed as a decimal (0.15 is 15%).

This is the same data seen from the point of view of one party, in this case the Republicans.

The data on this second graph falls roughly on a straight line between -0.10 and +0.10 and from about 100 to 450 EV. Data outside that range tails off and includes the elections that are generally recognized as landslides by most political scientists.

WilliamStone1776:
Quote from: muon2 on November 09, 2017, 04:00:12 PM

I made and posted this graph back in 2009. It includes all the elections from 1900 to 2008. The vertical axis is the number of electoral votes for the winner and the horizontal axis is the winners margin of victory expressed as a decimal (0.15 is 15%).

This is the same data seen from the point of view of one party, in this case the Republicans.

The data on this second graph falls roughly on a straight line between -0.10 and +0.10 and from about 100 to 450 EV. Data outside that range tails off and includes the elections that are generally recognized as landslides by most political scientists.

Thanks

Skill and Chance:
I agree with Muon.  Double digit national margin = landslide.  Of course, these are heavily clustered in the End WWI-End Cold War era when most people got along unusually well and had a strong sense of common identity that is anomalous compared to the rest of US history.  You can see this clearly in how many EV held out against Teddy Roosevelt even in his 19% win (Teddy and the 1912 vote splitting were the only double digit wins between the end of Reconstruction and the end of WWI).

twenty42:
Here’s a thread on the topic...

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=272469.msg5816866#msg5816866

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page