Hot, Bad & Unpopular Takes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 03:57:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Hot, Bad & Unpopular Takes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 74
Author Topic: Hot, Bad & Unpopular Takes  (Read 142923 times)
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1275 on: September 03, 2018, 04:11:30 PM »

Restaurants with different hours for dine-in and drive-thru should be required to advertise the dining room hours at least as prominently as the drive-through hours.

When I order food, I expect to be able to sit down and enjoy it there.

If a place is advertised as being open, and it turns out the drive-thru is open but the dining room isn't, I will leave and go someplace else (or do without) rather than use the drive-thru.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1276 on: September 03, 2018, 04:34:44 PM »

Restaurants with different hours for dine-in and drive-thru should be required to advertise the dining room hours at least as prominently as the drive-through hours.

When I order food, I expect to be able to sit down and enjoy it there.

If a place is advertised as being open, and it turns out the drive-thru is open but the dining room isn't, I will leave and go someplace else (or do without) rather than use the drive-thru.

Word! Add I've always thought it should be a strict liability offense where buy it the business could be fined say $20 for any drive-thru order that doesn't have napkins in the bag.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1277 on: September 03, 2018, 07:39:15 PM »

Opposing abortion does not make a person 'pro life.'
This and Supporting abortion does not necessarily make a person pro choice.

I'm really not sure how that second line follows.Huh

Solid is for expanding access to adoption. He believes people should have control over their own major life decisions.

FTFY
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1278 on: September 03, 2018, 07:40:30 PM »

Candidate quality is very important.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #1279 on: September 04, 2018, 11:17:23 PM »

I think Colin Allred edges out 50-49.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1280 on: September 05, 2018, 01:17:18 AM »
« Edited: September 05, 2018, 08:14:42 PM by TexasGurl »

Medal506 is gonna have a heart attack reading this.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1281 on: September 05, 2018, 06:35:21 AM »

This isn't going to go well.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1282 on: September 05, 2018, 08:18:08 AM »
« Edited: September 05, 2018, 08:15:03 PM by TexasGurl »

Opposing abortion does not make a person 'pro life.'
This and Supporting abortion does not necessarily make a person pro choice.

I'm really not sure how that second line follows.Huh

Solid is for expanding access to adoption. He believes people should have control over their own major life decisions.

FTFY

No, you believe (and continue to believe) that deadbeat parents should be able to rip children from the other parents arms and into foster care because reasons.

...Dude, no.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1283 on: September 05, 2018, 09:31:59 AM »
« Edited: September 05, 2018, 08:15:31 PM by TexasGurl »

JUST SAYING
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1284 on: September 05, 2018, 09:37:27 AM »

"Statistics are proof of privilege!"
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1285 on: September 05, 2018, 09:42:32 AM »
« Edited: September 05, 2018, 09:53:26 AM by Torie »

The factual assertions about Jews above may be unpopular, but more salient, is that the assertions as to wealth are all undocumented and in fact wrong. I could not find any ethnic data that was Jewish specific as to the top 1%, but reading this hardly suggests that most are Jews. The suggestion that a majority of Jews are in the top 10% is clearly wrong. Based on tax filing data you need to earn about 133k to be in the top 10%. Only 44% of Jews earn more than 100k per year according to a Pew survey.

I took the trouble to dig this all up, because anecdotally, I "knew" that the claims were absurd. I personally know and have dealt with many in these elite categories, socially and professionally, and they come from all walks in life (and this is in the Los Angeles area which has a substantial number of Jews). Some are my relatives. None of those are Jewish. I also ran across a data point that about 500,000 Jews in the NYC area are below the poverty line, but I digress.  

Oh and then the bit about Jews being a majority of the actors and celebrities in the US. LOL. Who knew?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1286 on: September 05, 2018, 10:33:06 AM »

Crown Heights wasn't "Jews coming into conflict with minorities", it was a pogrom against a minority population because New York traffic laws favor motorists.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1287 on: September 05, 2018, 12:37:41 PM »

Hi Ken, how's it hanging?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1288 on: September 05, 2018, 06:31:19 PM »

Even ignoring the table:

Trump is to Reagan as Carter is to FDR.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #1289 on: September 05, 2018, 06:32:13 PM »

Even ignoring the table:

Centrist GOP return, lesgo.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1290 on: September 05, 2018, 06:42:18 PM »

Even ignoring the table:

Life does not work like this.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1291 on: September 05, 2018, 07:55:52 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2018, 08:15:55 PM by TexasGurl »

1. delete your account
2. This is antisemitic from a far-left and far-right angle and if you truly believe this nonsense then you are an antisemite.
3. You know nothing about Jews in America, or even Jews as a whole. Why do you take pride in being ignorant? Massive HP.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1292 on: September 05, 2018, 10:17:27 PM »

1. delete your account
2. This is antisemitic from a far-left and far-right angle and if you truly believe this nonsense then you are an antisemite.
3. You know nothing about Jews in America, or even Jews as a whole. Why do you take pride in being ignorant? Massive HP.
Oh Hai you should join the discord.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1293 on: September 06, 2018, 08:01:50 AM »
« Edited: September 06, 2018, 08:21:16 AM by Torie »

I appreciate your apology, but what bothered me more about your post than that you got your facts wrong and considerably overstated the extent of relative Jewish wealth and so forth, is that you seemed to imply that it was a policy problem that Jews were more successful on average than whites as a whole. I cannot think of a reason that you would have that view that would be relatively benign, as opposed to reflecting animus.

I have amassed more than my share of assets in life. I am a cultural secular WASP. Would I be more of a policy problem if I happened to be Jewish? Can you understand just how offensive your comment would be to most Jews? Demonizing (or to be charitable, to view as a particular policy problem) a minority group merely because they happen to be relatively successful, has a long and sordid history on this planet. Myself, I appreciate that due to their culture, and values, so many Jews in disproportionate numbers have done so much to make this planet a better place.

I hope you reflect on what I am saying here. Thanks.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1294 on: September 06, 2018, 08:21:58 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No.

No it's not, any reasonable and educated human being would tell you that. White privilege is universally accepted as factual but demographic economic inbalance is rarely looked upon, mainly because those who do are scared of being called out as an "antisemite". You only prove my point.

Well, I guess that four year college education was for nothing! Smiley

EDIT:
I posted this in this thread which is devoted to unpopular and bad opinions, and it seems clear that my opinion on this issue clearly fits the thread. Surprisingly, the post was moderated, which boggles me because this thread is clearly made for such a post and the post violated no rules whatsoever, but whatever, clearly I hurt some feelings.

I'm sorry for the post, which was not intended in any bad way but was posted honestly and sincerely to shine a new light on an issue I believed no person has talked about and I posted it with no expectation of the backlash it has gotten from some members here. I apologize for my post, i'll dial down the rhetoric.
1. You used made up statistics to pretend jewish people were #actually more privileged than white people

2 You used white people instead of christian; this implies that you think jewish either is or is comparable to a race. Which is really yikes.

3Combine this with the "most celebrities are jewish" thing. And this
which is pretty reminiscent of the rhetoric of race "realists"

4. Adding up everything makes it clear that you believe some pretty retched things about jewish people, notably worse than what you've said. It sounds a lot like cora's antisemetic garbage. I personally do not buy that your apology is genuine at all.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1295 on: September 06, 2018, 09:55:53 AM »

No.

No it's not, any reasonable and educated human being would tell you that. White privilege is universally accepted as factual but demographic economic inbalance is rarely looked upon, mainly because those who do are scared of being called out as an "antisemite". You only prove my point.

Well, I guess that four year college education was for nothing! Smiley

EDIT:
I posted this in this thread which is devoted to unpopular and bad opinions, and it seems clear that my opinion on this issue clearly fits the thread. Surprisingly, the post was moderated, which boggles me because this thread is clearly made for such a post and the post violated no rules whatsoever, but whatever, clearly I hurt some feelings.

I'm sorry for the post, which was not intended in any bad way but was posted honestly and sincerely to shine a new light on an issue I believed no person has talked about and I posted it with no expectation of the backlash it has gotten from some members here. I apologize for my post, i'll dial down the rhetoric.
1. You used made up statistics to pretend jewish people were #actually more privileged than white people

2 You used white people instead of christian; this implies that you think jewish either is or is comparable to a race. Which is really yikes.

3Combine this with the "most celebrities are jewish" thing. And this
which is pretty reminiscent of the rhetoric of race "realists"

4. Adding up everything makes it clear that you believe some pretty retched things about jewish people, notably worse than what you've said. It sounds a lot like cora's antisemetic garbage. I personally do not buy that your apology is genuine at all.

This post could not be more wrong.

A, Jewish people are white. B, those aren't made up statistics. C, there is nothing wrong with studying and researching economic and social inequality, it is up for research and study, and there is no personal or racial, religious, or any bias against that group or any other groups involved. D, your allegations of me being an antisemite are incredibly rude and childish and they negate the seriousness and productivity of this forum as a whole and they definitely show you are more focused on throwing conventional buzzwords at me and making unsubstantiated allegations about my own personal beliefs rather than having a good debate about the issues.
I'm not having a debate on unsubstantiated antisemitic "statistics".
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1296 on: September 06, 2018, 10:28:26 AM »

Yes I know, I made my own comments on this (which have been ignored), but you two need to let this go now. The back and forth has become entropic, and of course the whole discussion, important as it might be, is off topic to this thread. Thank you.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1297 on: September 06, 2018, 10:46:50 AM »

Ok, now for a less serious one:

The 1970's Hobbit cartoon was better than Peter Jackson's Trilogy.

No reason for this to be bad or unpopular. Smiley

Indeed. The Rankin/Bass cartoon is cute and charming despite its flaws. PJ's Hobbit is a bloated embarrassment even if you weren't unfortunate enough to watch it in 48 FPS. It's hard to think of another big movies series that was so disappointing, short of the Star Wars prequels.

That said, I've tried to defend Ralph Bakshi's half-complete attempt at a LoTR adaptation, which I even prefer to PJ's trilogy in some respects. That qualifies for this thread.

I’ve seen both Rankin-Bass Tolkien cartoons, but have yet to see all of the Bakshi film, sadly.

I’m any case, for my opinions:
Atlantis: The Lost Empire and The Black Cauldron are criminally underrated.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1298 on: September 06, 2018, 11:15:08 AM »

There is no such thing as type in any ethnicity you want privilege.

libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1299 on: September 06, 2018, 11:34:01 AM »

Male privilege doesn't exist.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies