Hot, Bad & Unpopular Takes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 05:38:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Hot, Bad & Unpopular Takes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 74
Author Topic: Hot, Bad & Unpopular Takes  (Read 142932 times)
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: April 20, 2018, 09:38:49 PM »

The world would be a better place if Germany/Central Powers won World War I.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #826 on: April 20, 2018, 09:48:47 PM »

Jordan Peterson is wrong sometimes but is generally a good psychologist.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #827 on: April 20, 2018, 09:51:42 PM »

My brother keeps mentioning him to me, but I’m reluctant to check him out because he’s popular.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #828 on: April 21, 2018, 09:47:18 AM »

This is the dude that actively refused to respect his trans students pronouns because "free speech".
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #829 on: April 21, 2018, 12:26:34 PM »

He's also generally a huge douchebag even not taking his views into account.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #830 on: April 21, 2018, 03:29:41 PM »

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/814846341113323521?lang=en

Not a fan of this man, for rather obvious reasons
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #831 on: April 21, 2018, 04:50:50 PM »

This is the dude that actively refused to respect his trans students pronouns because "free speech".

Note that this refusal is within contexts of debates about the issue itself and is otherwise hypothetical.  No one claimed he called them the wrong thing.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #832 on: April 21, 2018, 05:24:11 PM »

Note that this refusal is within contexts of debates about the issue itself and is otherwise hypothetical.  No one claimed he called them the wrong thing.
So he swore he wouldn't respect any trans students but its okay because...

He doesn't have any trans students. Try applying this logic to the N word or something.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #833 on: April 21, 2018, 05:57:56 PM »

He doesn't have any trans students. Try applying this logic to the N word or something.

Peterson's point is that the government shouldn't force people to use certain words, regardless of whom is being addressed.  He is not required to address a female student using female pronouns, nor a male using male pronouns, and it is entirely within his rights to refer to anyone he chooses by the word "it."  But he chooses not to, because that's outside the given norm.  He's even said that he would use the preferred pronoun of a particular individual if that person asked him to, rather than the state.

He is wrong on singular 'they' as that debate's pretty much been settled by grammarians, but having the state force people to use the silly pronouns (zir/zem/etc.) is just absurd.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #834 on: April 21, 2018, 06:08:40 PM »

People who knew a transgender person before they openly started to acknowledge that they are in fact transgender that use incorrect pronouns are not necessarily transphobic.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #835 on: April 21, 2018, 08:08:01 PM »

You mean if someone wanted to be called the N word?    No, I'd refuse.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #836 on: April 21, 2018, 09:11:37 PM »

Hillary would have won the election against most other Republicans.
Agreed. And Bernie would've lost to most other Republicans, but beaten Trump.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #837 on: April 21, 2018, 09:15:09 PM »

Folks, this man believes Jacques Derrida is responsible for the decline of Western Civilization. Why are we taking him seriously?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #838 on: April 21, 2018, 09:39:09 PM »

Hillary would have won the election against most other Republicans.
Agreed. And Bernie would've lost to most other Republicans, but beaten Trump.
Yeah, I'm actually inclined to agree with both of these tales.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #839 on: April 22, 2018, 12:31:00 AM »

Alcohol should be illegal, but it's too ingrained in society to actually execute the ban without mass protests.  Same thing with tobacco.  And that's my biggest reason for not wanting to legalize marijuana- that we cannot create a third great American drug that becomes readily available and socially acceptable.  I don't think pot is that much worse than alcohol or tobacco (from what I've read- I have never had and will never have any of the three), but they should all be illegal- but it's the only one of the three that isn't so deeply entrenched that it's almost impossible to ban.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #840 on: April 22, 2018, 12:35:51 AM »

Alcohol should be illegal, but it's too ingrained in society to actually execute the ban without mass protests.  Same thing with tobacco.  And that's my biggest reason for not wanting to legalize marijuana- that we cannot create a third great American drug that becomes readily available and socially acceptable.  I don't think pot is that much worse than alcohol or tobacco (from what I've read- I have never had and will never have any of the three), but they should all be illegal- but it's the only one of the three that isn't so deeply entrenched that it's almost impossible to ban.

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #841 on: April 22, 2018, 12:53:42 AM »

Alcohol should be illegal, but it's too ingrained in society to actually execute the ban without mass protests.  Same thing with tobacco.  And that's my biggest reason for not wanting to legalize marijuana- that we cannot create a third great American drug that becomes readily available and socially acceptable.  I don't think pot is that much worse than alcohol or tobacco (from what I've read- I have never had and will never have any of the three), but they should all be illegal- but it's the only one of the three that isn't so deeply entrenched that it's almost impossible to ban.

I of course agree with the image in spirit, but I'm more curious what is going on in that picture Kiki. It seems like something else ExtremeConservative might not approve of Tongue
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #842 on: April 22, 2018, 09:06:29 AM »

Please be a Republican Senate nominee at some point. Please, please
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #843 on: April 22, 2018, 09:45:09 AM »

A great vision of FREEDOM and LIBERTY!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #844 on: April 22, 2018, 09:59:08 AM »

A great vision of FREEDOM and LIBERTY!

Not really that bad a viewpoint if you don’t dress up in a Reagan costume.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #845 on: April 22, 2018, 10:12:51 AM »

Please be a Republican Senatore nominee at some point. Please, please
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #846 on: April 22, 2018, 03:02:50 PM »

Bernie Sanders wouldn't have beaten Trump.  And if he couldn't do that, then he wouldn't have beaten any of the other Republicans either.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #847 on: April 23, 2018, 09:43:08 AM »

Peterson's point is that the government shouldn't force people to use certain words, regardless of whom is being addressed.  He is not required to address a female student using female pronouns, nor a male using male pronouns, and it is entirely within his rights to refer to anyone he chooses by the word "it."  But he chooses not to, because that's outside the given norm.  He's even said that he would use the preferred pronoun of a particular individual if that person asked him to, rather than the state.

He is wrong on singular 'they' as that debate's pretty much been settled by grammarians, but having the state force people to use the silly pronouns (zir/zem/etc.) is just absurd.
Except he claimed these things about a bill that doesn't even mention gendered pronouns. Personally, I don't trust a person who starts unsubstantiated fear mongering about a bill to protect trans people from discrimination and hate crimes to not be transphobic.

https://medium.com/s/story/a-field-guide-to-jordan-petersons-political-arguments-312153eac99a
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #848 on: April 23, 2018, 09:44:09 AM »

No. If someone refused to not call someone the n word.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #849 on: April 23, 2018, 11:19:24 AM »

No. If someone refused to not call someone the n word.

Comparing being called the wrong pronoun to being called a racial slur semmes rather hyperbolic...
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies