Indictment-O-Rama Megathread: Mueller indicts 13 Russians
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 04:14:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Indictment-O-Rama Megathread: Mueller indicts 13 Russians
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 82
Author Topic: Indictment-O-Rama Megathread: Mueller indicts 13 Russians  (Read 172325 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: December 07, 2017, 02:25:29 PM »

No, I’m not.  Trump may very well get indicted for obstruction of justice by Mueller, indeed it’s more likely than not at this point, and Mueller will almost certainly recommend impeachment at the very least.  And Trump obviously colluded with Russia.  However, facts are facts.  Collusion is a political term, you’ll never see anyone indicted for “collusion” b/c it’s not a crime.  As for conspiracy, that word doesn’t quite mean the same thing legally as it does in common usage.  It certainly shouldn’t be used interchangeably with collusion although if new information/testimony comes out, they may end up overlapping in this case.

Collusion is not a criminal charge, but you effectively cannot collude without accepting in kind gifts, which is illegal for a campaign to accept from a foreign power.

There may be a difference in that collusion implies that those complicit may be beyond indictment because they are foreigners acting legally because their deeds are licit elsewhere. such as a Russan spymaster operating in Russia violates no laws. On the other hand an American acting in concert with a Russian crime syndicate in the distribution of illegal drugs would  be criminal conspirators because drug trafficking is also illegal in Russia.   
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #901 on: December 07, 2017, 03:59:12 PM »

No, I’m not.  Trump may very well get indicted for obstruction of justice by Mueller, indeed it’s more likely than not at this point, and Mueller will almost certainly recommend impeachment at the very least.  And Trump obviously colluded with Russia.  However, facts are facts.  Collusion is a political term, you’ll never see anyone indicted for “collusion” b/c it’s not a crime.  As for conspiracy, that word doesn’t quite mean the same thing legally as it does in common usage.  It certainly shouldn’t be used interchangeably with collusion although if new information/testimony comes out, they may end up overlapping in this case.

Collusion is not a criminal charge, but you effectively cannot collude without accepting in kind gifts, which is illegal for a campaign to accept from a foreign power.

And I'm sure Don Jr. could mount a fairly strong ignorance of fact defense if you tried to charge him with violating the election laws you're talking about.  As for Trump, from what we've seen so far (and obviously Mueller knows a lot more than we do), I don't see enough evidence to prove beyond reasonable doubt that Trump knew anyone campaign was engaging in the activities you're talking about.  Obstruction of Justice is the much stronger case, imo.  Btw, just to be clear, I'm just approaching this from a strictly legal PoV.

Well then what you're arguing is that he didn't collude, not that if he did collude he can't be charged for it.

No, I'm not, but whatever.

I thought lacking scientist was really on a defense if you didn't have a reason to know. I think DT2 should have known if even he didn't know he was committing a crime. And even if there is no specific intent, he still ratified it and I don't think specific intent matters there.
What?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #902 on: December 07, 2017, 04:33:49 PM »

And I'm sure Don Jr. could mount a fairly strong ignorance of fact defense if you tried to charge him with violating the election laws you're talking about.  As for Trump, from what we've seen so far (and obviously Mueller knows a lot more than we do), I don't see enough evidence to prove beyond reasonable doubt that Trump knew anyone campaign was engaging in the activities you're talking about.  Obstruction of Justice is the much stronger case, imo.  Btw, just to be clear, I'm just approaching this from a strictly legal PoV.

Well then what you're arguing is that he didn't collude, not that if he did collude he can't be charged for it.

No, I'm not, but whatever.

I thought lacking scientist was really on a defense if you didn't have a reason to know. I think DT2 should have known if even he didn't know he was committing a crime. And even if there is no specific intent, he still ratified it and I don't think specific intent matters there.
What?
Scienter* knowledge that one was doing something wrong not just that they were doing something
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #903 on: December 07, 2017, 09:37:50 PM »

Holy sh**t, I came home to my parents home for an extended weekend and they have Fox News on 24/7 and I'm just watching Hannity right now and I completely understand why the most insane retard always wins the Republican Primary. Fox News is a straight up rage machine cranked up to 10.

Just force them to watch Trevor Noah today, Bill Maher tomorrow, and John Oliver on Friday. Oh, and give them access to some reasonable news source.

Solving the "Fox News Only" problem one small step at a time.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #904 on: December 08, 2017, 08:33:19 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #905 on: December 08, 2017, 08:40:02 AM »

Oh damn
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #906 on: December 08, 2017, 10:07:41 AM »
« Edited: December 08, 2017, 10:10:05 AM by We Have A Pope »

Well now Don Jr. is probably screwed (possibly Trump too although I’d still stick to charging Trump with obstruction of justice and his son with violating New York bribery statutes) Smiley  While I haven’t studied bribery statutes in law school yet, I’m pretty sure this would qualify and with unlike violating election law, I doubt he could ge away with an ignorance of fact defense there.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #907 on: December 08, 2017, 12:38:07 PM »

Who’s gonna do it?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #908 on: December 08, 2017, 03:50:11 PM »

Keep Elmo on the sidelines.  WaPo and others are reporting that the email was sent on Sept. 14 (not Sept. 4), which is a day after the files in question were publicly released.  So this isn't as significant as it first appeared to be.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #909 on: December 08, 2017, 05:43:28 PM »

QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #910 on: December 09, 2017, 01:39:09 AM »

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/12/08/us/politics/hope-hicks-russia-trump-fbi.html?_r=0&referer=https://www.google.com/

You in danger girl
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #911 on: December 09, 2017, 07:56:13 PM »
« Edited: December 09, 2017, 07:58:32 PM by Frodo »

“Collusion” is not a crime or even a legal term

You're running behind. Even the deplorables are accepting collusion (or conspiring, if your prefer) with Russia. The new GOP defensive line is explaining why obstruction isn't illegal when the President does it. (Not much of a stretch for a party of apologists for pedophilia.)

No, I’m not.  Trump may very well get indicted for obstruction of justice by Mueller, indeed it’s more likely than not at this point, and Mueller will almost certainly recommend impeachment at the very least.  And Trump obviously colluded with Russia.  However, facts are facts.  Collusion is a political term, you’ll never see anyone indicted for “collusion” b/c it’s not a crime.  As for conspiracy, that word doesn’t quite mean the same thing legally as it does in common usage.  It certainly shouldn’t be used interchangeably with collusion although if new information/testimony comes out, they may end up overlapping in this case.

Conspiracy: An agreement between two or more persons to engage jointly in an unlawful or criminal act, or an act that is innocent in itself but becomes unlawful when done by the combination of actors.

Which is why Mueller following Trump's financial trail (including his tax records) is going to prove so important in this investigation, and determines whether or not Trump conspired with the Kremlin to alter the course of the 2016 election.  Trump obviously has something to hide.  And I wonder if Steve Bannon knows this, otherwise why counsel him to fight the investigation, alongside attempting to destroy the credibility of the Special Counsel?

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #912 on: December 09, 2017, 09:01:09 PM »

You're running behind. Even the deplorables are accepting collusion (or conspiring, if your prefer) with Russia. The new GOP defensive line is explaining why obstruction isn't illegal when the President does it. (Not much of a stretch for a party of apologists for pedophilia.)

No, I’m not.  Trump may very well get indicted for obstruction of justice by Mueller, indeed it’s more likely than not at this point, and Mueller will almost certainly recommend impeachment at the very least.  And Trump obviously colluded with Russia.  However, facts are facts.  Collusion is a political term, you’ll never see anyone indicted for “collusion” b/c it’s not a crime.  As for conspiracy, that word doesn’t quite mean the same thing legally as it does in common usage.  It certainly shouldn’t be used interchangeably with collusion although if new information/testimony comes out, they may end up overlapping in this case.

Conspiracy: An agreement between two or more persons to engage jointly in an unlawful or criminal act, or an act that is innocent in itself but becomes unlawful when done by the combination of actors.

Which is why Mueller following Trump's financial trail (including his tax records) is going to prove so important in this investigation, and determines whether or not Trump conspired with the Kremlin to alter the course of the 2016 election.  Trump obviously has something to hide.  And I wonder if Steve Bannon knows this, otherwise why counsel him to fight the investigation, alongside attempting to destroy the credibility of the Special Counsel?

Correct
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #913 on: December 10, 2017, 09:29:48 AM »

Correct

It would still need to be a conspiracy to something.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #914 on: December 10, 2017, 10:34:36 AM »

Correct

And you’d need the agreement and requisite mental state too.  I’m not saying Mueller doesn’t have evidence to support conspiracy charges, but what we know about right now isn’t enough by itself.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #915 on: December 10, 2017, 07:40:32 PM »

Correct

To violate the Federal Election Campaign Act. Foreign nationals are prohibited from:

If anyone in the Trump campaign coordinated with any Russian nationals (not just those working explicitly for the Kremlin) to for example, spend money on Facebook ads, or asked them to provide information on Hillary Clinton (with or without an explicit quid pro quo) then they broke the law. If Trump knew about it, or encouraged it, then he broke the law.

I'm not sure if Trumpers have so much trouble with this very basic point of law because they're so stupid it takes all their brainpower to just keep breathing, or because they've brainwashed themselves so thoroughly that Trump could be raping their children in front of them and they'd be okay with it.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #916 on: December 10, 2017, 08:08:04 PM »

Haven't been following the news on this thread (mostly Reddit and Twitter). Is Nuclear Elmo the equivalent of one of Benjamin Wittes's cannon videos?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #917 on: December 10, 2017, 08:18:37 PM »

Haven't been following the news on this thread (mostly Reddit and Twitter). Is Nuclear Elmo the equivalent of one of Benjamin Wittes's cannon videos?

Pretty much, although Elmo is usually deployed only for news that would get one of Wittes's bigger booms.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #918 on: December 10, 2017, 11:44:23 PM »

Given the greater than 50/50 chance (IMHO) the strong rumors of her f$%king Trump, she has only herself to blame for trying to screw her way to a position of high power.

If the rumors are false, she's merely another turd in King $hit's orbit who'd better flip fast to avoid full prosecution.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #919 on: December 11, 2017, 08:46:39 AM »

Well...this is just wild:

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #920 on: December 11, 2017, 10:19:01 AM »

Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #921 on: December 11, 2017, 02:16:00 PM »

Is it reasonable to expect this to slow down a bit during the holiday season? Mueller has to let his team spend some time with their families, correct?
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #922 on: December 11, 2017, 02:49:13 PM »

Is it reasonable to expect this to slow down a bit during the holiday season? Mueller has to let his team spend some time with their families, correct?

OMG. I CAN'T WAIT for Fox News to go off on this. War on Christmas talk meets the Robert Mueller smear campaign. Ohhhhh this is going to be so hilarious.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #923 on: December 11, 2017, 02:56:20 PM »

Not much, I mean maybe it’ll be an early end of the day on Christmas at most, I assume.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #924 on: December 11, 2017, 08:22:54 PM »

Big, if true:

Jailed Russian hacker: I hacked Democrats 'under the command' of Russian intelligence agents
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 82  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies