State run by Democrats turning into a Third World Country
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:47:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  State run by Democrats turning into a Third World Country
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: State run by Democrats turning into a Third World Country  (Read 6519 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2017, 02:00:14 AM »

The simple fact of the matter is that Progressivism is an amalgamation of successes by two different political traditions into one, with the unsavory aspects of both ret-conned out of existence.

It is just as bad as Republicans denying their role in the Southern Strategy.

Both Parties have horrendous records on race and civil rights. There is a modern desire on the left that seeks to obtain absolution by latching on to "progressive" 19th and early 20th century, New England Republicans that were progressive in that they wanted to abolish slavery and give women the vote, but also just so happen to want to repress catholics, kick all the immigrants out and ban everyone's booze.

The one's who really should be concerned about this is the Sanders' crowd. The further the Democrats get away from its working class roots and the closer it seeks to become an "Eisenhower Republican" Party, the less and less it will champion those ideals. William Jennings Bryan was a religious fundamentalist, Wilson was deeply racist Virginian, and FDR locked up the Japanese. Yet Bryan championed the poor, Wilson pushed to end Child Labor, and FDR pushed the New Deal through by compromising with Segregationists.

The idea that "Southerns opposed the New Deal" is flat out bullsh**t. The way you know that is because after Speaker Cannon was thrown out, the Committees were empowered and the Speaker diminished. And guess who had all the seniority, the ones who didn't ever have to worry about general elections, and didn't get wiped out in 1920, 1924 and 1928, The Southern Democrats. Not a single piece of New Deal Legislation would have made it out of committee, without some backroom deal, quid pro quo or open support from Segregationist Committee Chairs.

Was there a Conservative faction that eventually revolted? YES, because it was a one party system in each of these states. But that revolt came in 1937 and 1938, and only the significant gains by the Republicans in 1938, enabled these conservatives to control the balance of power. Meaning a majority of the Democrats were pro-New Deal, including a large number of them in the South. The heirs of Bryan and Wilson and including people like, you guessed it, the prize winning most racist Senator of all time, Theodore Bilbo.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2017, 09:37:20 AM »

All I know is that if I see another suggestion that the ancestors of the racist white southern Democrats (or still living white former conservadems) aren't mostly present-day Republicans I'm goin to start slamming my head on my desk

Ancestors? Don't you mean descendents?

If they were ancestors, they would be racist, Jacksonians or Jeffersonians.

Yes descendants. My bad. Now my point stands. Sorry for not pretending that the Republican base is just a bunch of 9-5 businesspeople and Evangelical suburban families with 2-4 kids and a dog as has been suggested on here before.

"The Republican base" seems to be whatever any given angry non-Republican wants it to be.

EDIT: As always, great posts, NC Yankee.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2017, 09:52:34 AM »

Ah yes I forgot the GOP was the party of sophisticated, business-friendly college educated suburbanites who are really Susan Collins fans at heart
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2017, 10:19:10 AM »
« Edited: November 03, 2017, 10:21:54 AM by RINO Tom »

Ah yes I forgot the GOP was the party of sophisticated, business-friendly college educated suburbanites who are really Susan Collins fans at heart

... What?  LOL.  No one has ever said that, go have your cup of coffee and chill the  out!
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2017, 11:12:21 AM »

Lol just go back to every single post you reply to when anyone suggests that college educated whites are trending Democratic and your ensuing rant about somethin somethin West Virginians are still democrats at heart somethin somethin the GOP's base is the business class and always will be somethin somethin the GOP aint gonna be the party of Trump somethin

God, you're an asshole.  I don't do that, I simply provide (IMO) more context than a kindergarten-level summary of political trends like, "College Whites will become Democrats," and point out that things like diversifying counties, generational displacement (and the prevalence of a college degree among Millennials compared to Boomers) is probably more influential, as opposed to a narrative that it is the GOP's anti-intellectualism in and of itself that is simply causing a mass exodus of once-sensible Republicans into the arms of the Democratic Party.  It clearly annoys you, so feel free to put me on ignore if you think I'm that shltty of a poster.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2017, 12:15:51 PM »

Lol just go back to every single post you reply to when anyone suggests that college educated whites are trending Democratic and your ensuing rant about somethin somethin West Virginians are still democrats at heart somethin somethin the GOP's base is the business class and always will be somethin somethin the GOP aint gonna be the party of Trump somethin

West Virginia is such a bad state. They're hardcore Democrats who oppose progress, they aren't real Republicans, they're too poor to be real Republicans, they just want free stuff.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2017, 12:19:15 PM »

Isn't the general gist of trends based on age-group displacement lol? so I don't know why it's necessary to add in that addendum if the trendlines for college-educated whites --> Dems are largely because of differences in age, not 55+ year old college alums who've voted R their whole lives. I don't think I've seen anyone ever suggest that the swing to Clinton in places like metro Atlanta or Orange County was solely college-educated white driven either. I don't think I've seen a post on here argue that except for Non-Swing Voter lol. I would think most the people on this site intuitively understand that concept of trends; if not, maybe they shouldn't be posting here.

Okay, but if this shift is mostly driven by other factors, and the college degree in and of itself is nothing more than a lurking variable, this elitism some red avatars have on here about "who Republicans really are" or whatever is really misguided, and it's rampant.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2017, 12:51:14 PM »

Isn't the general gist of trends based on age-group displacement lol? so I don't know why it's necessary to add in that addendum if the trendlines for college-educated whites --> Dems are largely because of differences in age, not 55+ year old college alums who've voted R their whole lives. I don't think I've seen anyone ever suggest that the swing to Clinton in places like metro Atlanta or Orange County was solely college-educated white driven either. I don't think I've seen a post on here argue that except for Non-Swing Voter lol. I would think most the people on this site intuitively understand that concept of trends; if not, maybe they shouldn't be posting here.

Okay, but if this shift is mostly driven by other factors, and the college degree in and of itself is nothing more than a lurking variable, this elitism some red avatars have on here about "who Republicans really are" or whatever is really misguided, and it's rampant.

Maybe, but so is pretending the GOP is this party of college educated whites where the so-caled rednecks from bumville don't belong

I mean, the GOP is "the party of college-educated Whites" in the sense that college-educated Whites are more Republican than they are Democratic, but the group comprised only 37% of the electorate in 2016 ... obviously no party can be the party of ONLY college-educated Whites.  I have never once said that every voter for one of our two major political parties was some enlightened, educated individual, as that would be mathematically insane.  I have contended, and will continue to contend, that the idea that the GOP voter base doesn't include at least as "upscale" of people as the Democratic one is an odd assertion pulled out of Atlas' ass.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2017, 01:40:20 PM »

This Thread needs cleansed with fire, starting with the Breitbart style title.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2017, 04:14:21 PM »

LOL, well quit checkin' in, my superiors!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2017, 04:15:12 PM »

LOL, well quit checkin' in, my superiors!

Huh
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2017, 04:16:13 PM »

He's challenged.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2017, 04:18:42 PM »

Very, very offensive.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2017, 04:21:12 PM »

You two seriously need to get a room.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2017, 04:24:46 PM »

I very rarely engage Santender until he, well, insults me.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2017, 04:25:55 PM »

West Virginia is such a bad state. They're hardcore Democrats who oppose progress, they aren't real Republicans, they're too poor to be real Republicans, they just want free stuff.

Lil' Rocket Man please nuke this thread.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2017, 02:07:42 AM »

All I know is that if I see another suggestion that the ancestors of the racist white southern Democrats (or still living white former conservadems) aren't mostly present-day Republicans I'm goin to start slamming my head on my desk

Ancestors? Don't you mean descendents?

If they were ancestors, they would be racist, Jacksonians or Jeffersonians.

Yes descendants. My bad. Now my point stands. Sorry for not pretending that the Republican base is just a bunch of 9-5 businesspeople and Evangelical suburban families with 2-4 kids and a dog as has been suggested on here before.

Who do you think you are dealing with here? You might be able to overwhelm RinoTom but you won't do so with me.

I have posted posted more than anyone else on this forum, explaining the shift of the GOP's "center of political gravity" from Orange County, CA to Kentucky, Indiana and yes, West Virginia.

It is becoming a Rust Belt+Appalachia+Northern Mts party. With solid bases in rural areas, small towns and exurbs, and among non-college educated whites. College Educated Whites and the middle ring suburbs is basically where the "hand to hand combat" (as John King put it on CNN during the MI Dem Primary), occurs. 

I have also posted repeatedly on just how out of touch the Republican leadership and movement conservatism has become with the average Republican voter and the need for Republican Politicians to start pushing policies that are in line with understanding who their voters are. That more than anything underlies the deep seated distrust and anger Republican voters have towards their politicians, that so many have co-opted on one extreme or another to oust an incumbent or an establishment politician. The biggest example of all is President Donald Trump.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies