Trump opponents: Did you "give him a chance"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 02:14:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump opponents: Did you "give him a chance"?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Huh??
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 84

Author Topic: Trump opponents: Did you "give him a chance"?  (Read 2818 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2017, 09:56:35 AM »

Yes, I gave him a chance, right after the election. And I wrote about it: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=252631.msg5395070#msg5395070

But it became evident very quickly that this dude will just never change. And never even try to improve, admit any mistakes or show some human decency.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2017, 10:10:02 AM »

No. I might be naive, but I'm not THAT naive.

LMAO.
Short, but to the point .... and very funny.
Smiley
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2017, 10:14:52 AM »

Nope, I assumed he would be a clusterfark from the beginning.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 10:26:12 AM »

I tried to talk myself into making peace with the idea of a President Trump the first week after the election, yes.

Then he tapped Sessions for AG
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2017, 11:27:05 AM »

I was never optimistic. 
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2017, 11:32:21 AM »

During the primaries?  Not really.  With several options to choose from, I wasn't going to willingly throw my support behind someone who seemed to be openly promoting bigotry.  During the general elction?  No.  I felt the only way my voice could be heard/I could protest my party making that choice was to not support his election bid, so I was never going to vote for him.  It ended up doing nothing, as I knew it would, but I felt I had no other option.  Once he was elected?  Absolutely.  He is my President, and I agreed with President Obama that "if he succeeds, we succeed."  His comments and actions while in office are, IMO, well below the office of the Presidency, and I would for sure support a primary challenger.  However, I have never had a "take it or leave it" attitude about much in life, and I will commend President Trump when he does good things and "not support him" (whatever that means) when he doesn't.  So far, it has been mostly the latter, unfortunately.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2017, 11:44:53 AM »

No, he never gave me a reason to 
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2017, 02:36:56 PM »

He's President, whether or not anyone here "gives him a chance".

I've voted Democratic 7 times for President; Republican 3 times.  I'm a RINO,  but a social conservative.

I gave Trump a chance to be something other than a Bush Republican.  So I'm happy (to a point) with some of his foreign policy; he might finally be stopping the creeping neoconia infecting the White House.  I don't know that I'm happy with the tax cuts.

I have not made up my mind to vote for Trump in 2020.  It would depend very much on the Democratic candidate.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2017, 02:39:09 PM »

Yes.  I have been very fair to him.  Some would say too fair.  He blew his chance.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2017, 09:53:56 PM »

Sure.

Flirted with voting for him tactically a few times [he did advocate for single-payer in the GOP debates a few times to applause AND he picked the heads off the old GOP Establishment, but especially Jeb! and Ted Cruz] then he picked Mike Pence and the whole Khan thing ended that bit.

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2017, 10:17:24 PM »

I don't see giving policies I'm strongly opposed to "a chance" as a reasonable request. Trump's first week in office featured a travel ban that I was strongly opposed to on every level. Why on Earth would I give him the benefit of a doubt?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2017, 10:23:31 PM »

No. He has been a terrible person for years. Winning an election wasn't going to change that.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2017, 10:30:23 PM »

No, not really. I'm not giving a sexual predator whose idea of governing is sitting on Twitter all day riling up bigots a chance. Of course I always hope he'll do something good, but I never expect it. I just think he's a fundamentally disturbed person who has probably never truly cared for anyone else in his entire life. His entire world view seems to be measuring people and groups, seeing what he can take from them and thinking about what lies he will need to tell to do it.

Oh and this too:

I don't see giving policies I'm strongly opposed to "a chance" as a reasonable request. Trump's first week in office featured a travel ban that I was strongly opposed to on every level. Why on Earth would I give him the benefit of a doubt?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2017, 11:18:07 PM »

I actually did. I didn't really believe he'd succeed, but I held out hope that the country would be alright and he would end up doing fine. Perhaps it was just as a coping mechanism but I entertained the thought that maybe, just maybe he was right and wouldn't be the disaster I had feared. Within days of his inauguration whatever hope I'd had disappeared and turned into contempt and loathing.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2017, 03:36:01 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2017, 03:38:04 PM by the 2018- The People v. The Pepe »

I actually did. I didn't really believe he'd succeed, but I held out hope that the country would be alright and he would end up doing fine. Perhaps it was just as a coping mechanism but I entertained the thought that maybe, just maybe he was right and wouldn't be the disaster I had feared. Within days of his inauguration whatever hope I'd had disappeared and turned into contempt and loathing.

"Only Nixon could go to China."
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2017, 03:40:20 PM »

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2017, 04:40:58 PM »

Sure. It's not like giving him a chance cost money or anything Tongue
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2017, 05:13:37 PM »

I gave him exactly as much a chance as the racist conservatives gave Obama.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2017, 05:19:53 PM »

what does that even mean?

I don't give out respect to someone unless they do something respectable. Trump has shown throughout his life he is utterly incapable of doing such a thing.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2017, 01:00:19 AM »
« Edited: October 30, 2017, 01:03:25 AM by HillGoose »

No, I'm a #NeverTrump Republican and I could tell what he was from the start.

An entitled, rude, immoral playboy who used to be a Democrat then changed to the Republican party when it was convenient for him.

He's no Republican. If he was a Republican, he wouldn't have spouted anti-vax, anti-science conspiracy theories, or flirted with 9/11 conspiracy theories. If he was a Republican, he would have continued supporting the Iraq War, and he would have supported arming Ukraine. If he was a Republican, he would have supported privatizing social security. In my opinion, he's no Republican.

What he is, is an opportunist Democrat who saw that he could exploit disaffected workers in the midwest who refuse to realize that their job is GONE and NEVER COMING BACK, because technology replaced it. Instead of going and getting retrained to get a new job, they've spent several years complaining about the "elite" while living off government money. These people are not Republicans.

Also, he's not a good person. If he was a good person, he wouldn't be bragging about sexual assault.
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2017, 01:27:03 AM »

He never asked me to give him a chance.  He has been a hard-right screwup of a President who could care less what the majority of Americans that voted against him want and I hope he pays the price in 2020.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2017, 01:27:37 PM »

No, I'm a #NeverTrump Republican and I could tell what he was from the start.

An entitled, rude, immoral playboy who used to be a Democrat then changed to the Republican party when it was convenient for him.

He's no Republican. If he was a Republican, he wouldn't have spouted anti-vax, anti-science conspiracy theories, or flirted with 9/11 conspiracy theories. If he was a Republican, he would have continued supporting the Iraq War, and he would have supported arming Ukraine. If he was a Republican, he would have supported privatizing social security. In my opinion, he's no Republican.

What he is, is an opportunist Democrat who saw that he could exploit disaffected workers in the midwest who refuse to realize that their job is GONE and NEVER COMING BACK, because technology replaced it. Instead of going and getting retrained to get a new job, they've spent several years complaining about the "elite" while living off government money. These people are not Republicans.

Also, he's not a good person. If he was a good person, he wouldn't be bragging about sexual assault.
/thread. im serious, this perfectly encapsulates trump and his followers
cvparty
United States

« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2017, 01:35:16 PM »

He's President, whether or not anyone here "gives him a chance".
I agree, I’m not sure what “giving him a chance” means really
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2017, 01:49:25 PM »

He never gave me a chance to give him a chance. He's been unhinged nonstop since he first started talking about Obama.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2017, 01:59:31 PM »

Sort of. My grandma (who has hated Trump for a long time and voted for Hillary) basically said after the election that he's the president and we should give him a chance. I was completely despondent after the election, but in my heart, I knew she was right.

Unfortunately with Trump, there is no giving him a chance. I'm a Democrat and I believe in government, so I would have liked to have seen sometime like Trump's massive infrastructure proposal. If Trump somehow came to support some version of single-payer, I would have gladly supported it. I'm not cutting off the nose to spite the face. Unfortunately, as we've seen with this Administration so far, we're not getting anything good accomplished.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies