OH-12 Special Election: Balderson vs. O’Connor on August 7
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:55:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH-12 Special Election: Balderson vs. O’Connor on August 7
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 71
Author Topic: OH-12 Special Election: Balderson vs. O’Connor on August 7  (Read 108051 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: August 06, 2018, 11:20:52 PM »

If the Emerson (lol) poll were after the rally, then I'd predict an O'Connor win by about that margin, but it wasn't. We gotta remember that Saccone was down about 5 or so before Trump swooped in to stump for him, and said stumping erased that deficit into the virtual tie that that race was. So now, I could see it go either way. I genuinely don't know.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #776 on: August 06, 2018, 11:29:57 PM »

If the Emerson (lol) poll were after the rally, then I'd predict an O'Connor win by about that margin, but it wasn't. We gotta remember that Saccone was down about 5 or so before Trump swooped in to stump for him, and said stumping erased that deficit into the virtual tie that that race was. So now, I could see it go either way. I genuinely don't know.

Why do some many GOPer's knock "the polls" cuz muh Trump 2016, but along with Trump take that ONE poll about PA 18th as gospel? Because it suits your narrative. Now I tend to lean more towards objectivity in my predictions regardless of outcome, hence my Balderson will win predictition. Heck, I even am a little bias against dems in my predictions.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #777 on: August 06, 2018, 11:57:44 PM »

I'm like 93% certain that son of Balder will be the victor.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #778 on: August 07, 2018, 01:21:00 AM »

There is a special place in left wing hell for all the left wingers who vote for Manchik.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #779 on: August 07, 2018, 02:09:01 AM »

Go Danny !

Can't wait for the results. When are polls closing (Central European Time) ?

2.30am ?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #780 on: August 07, 2018, 02:13:37 AM »

Go Danny !

2.30am ?

I think 12:30 AM CET but don't count on it.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #781 on: August 07, 2018, 02:36:38 AM »

More anecdotals: My mom is a registered Republican (voted Kasich in the 2016 primary) and my parents’ house (very wealthy part of Gahanna) has been visited five times by O’Connor’s campaign, nothing from the Balderson folks.  My aunt and uncle (independent and Republican, respectively) live in a particularly country clubby part of New Albany and have been visited three times by O’Connor’s campaign, nothing from Balderson’s campaign.  

Do you want me to post the numbers from Gahanna and New Albany with EV numbers as of Yesterday (Courtesy of Ebsy.... Smiley    )    Huh?

Although I lived in Ohio for Four Years 20+ Years ago in College, I was basically 20 Minutes from Dayton and 50 Minutes from both Columbus and Cinci, so don't pretend to have any of detailed knowledge of the State from a local perspective anymore, although I remember how excited the College Students on my campus were when Bill Clinton won Ohio in '92 (First time in '64???).

What I *suspect* we might be seeing in Metro Columbus (Based upon '08 > '16 PRES results) is a pattern that we observed for the first time in recent American Electoral History in some of the major Metro areas of the West Coast back in '88 (Seattle, Portland, Bay Area Suburbs) where suburban voters started to identify more with the residents of the "City" as opposed to the traditional City/Suburban political, social, and economic divide.

It's early on yet, but we are starting to see in the heavily Ancestral Republican suburbs of North Franklin County (Including the City of Columbus proper) move heavily Democratic at the Presidential Level.

We have yet to see these types of movements at other Federal Elections (With a few exceptions and a few Cities), let alone see the impact at down-ballot Statewide Races where the Republican Coalition still holds strong, and the Democratic Coalition is much more dependent upon large turnouts in the Cities, Ancestral White Union Democrats throughout, swing voters in the 'Burbs, and keeping margins down in the Rurals, especially in places like SE OH.

Still, at the end of the day a "New Democratic Winning Coalition" in Ohio will inherently involve both a mixture of rapidly swing DEM voters in places like the wealthier 'Burbs of Columbus, combined with high turnout in the Cities, AND regaining those WWC voters that were more than happy to vote for Barrack O'Bama in both '08 and '12 and swung hard Trump in '16....

Yeah, Gahanna and New Albany numbers would be great! Thanks Smiley

My laptop completely crashed on Election Eve, and just got back online....

Ask and ye shall receive:

Franklin Co- OH- Gahanna- 6.1% of 2016 Vote Share.

People can say what they want to say about the Early Vote in Franklin County, but Republicans at only 25% of the EV in Gahanna looks really weird, and suggests that Dem Franklin County percentages and margins might be extremely high, even outside of the City of Columbus where quite frankly the EV numbers by Party are starting to look more like Portland Oregon GE PRES numbers than would be expected for the wealthy neighborhoods of North Columbus.

Franklin Co- OH - New Albany-  ~ 3% of Franklin County Vote Share 2016.

Once again we see EV numbers that are completely devastating, in Upper-Income Educated Communities where Republican leaning voters tend to vote extremely early, just like Democrats....

Honestly these EV numbers we are seeing from every Municipality in Franklin County are looking devastating for Republicans, regardless of the massive surge of Democratic voters within the Columbus City precincts of OH CD-12.

Will it be enough, I don't know, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see record levels of support for a Democratic Candidate running for Federal Office within most of Franklin County.

wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #782 on: August 07, 2018, 02:39:19 AM »

Good morning everyone! As we approach poll openings, PredictIt has OH-12 at exactly 50-50. Here we go.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #783 on: August 07, 2018, 02:55:43 AM »

Good morning everyone! As we approach poll openings, PredictIt has OH-12 at exactly 50-50. Here we go.

Future Congressman Balderson will win little doubt, congrats to O'Connor on a hard fought campaign that was winnable with a better dem candidate but oh well, and don't even think about Ohio 12th in november.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #784 on: August 07, 2018, 02:58:19 AM »

If I were part of the O'Connor campaign this is what I would be perhaps most worried about....

Licking County---- Newark, Ohio--- `25% of 2016 Licking County Vote Share.

Although on paper these margin improvements in the CD-12 EV look like really nice numbers, the reality is that this is nowhere near the numbers that O'Connor needs to perform in to keep Licking County margins low.

This is quite frankly home to a ton of Obama '08/'12 > Trump '16 voters, and I'm not seeing the numbers here to suggest thus far that O'Connor will keep PUB numbers low within one of the larger vote centers within the County....

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #785 on: August 07, 2018, 03:00:14 AM »

Why shouldnt Dems think about it in Nov? Theres no coattails to run on in the special. Dems need Sherrod Brown's coattails to be competetive. Dems have won every race, except for 2008 with him on ballot: 2006, 2012, lost 2010, 2014 and 2016.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #786 on: August 07, 2018, 03:19:10 AM »
« Edited: August 07, 2018, 03:22:25 AM by Prolocutor Bagel23 »

Why shouldnt Dems think about it in Nov? Theres no coattails to run on in the special. Dems need Sherrod Brown's coattails to be competetive. Dems have won every race, except for 2008 with him on ballot: 2006, 2012, lost 2010, 2014 and 2016.

cuz ge turnout tends to be more favorable to the gop in this district and also nearly all dems and national money as well as grassroots throughout the nation will completely ditch this district when O'Connor loses today, like Georgia 6th, and AZ 8th, Ohio 12th will turn into Likely R for the GE this fall. It turns back into a pumpkin, and the only way it flips is a mooreing or a blue tsunami. People will forget about this race because there will be many many many districts that are better spots for us to secure a win before this district, and everyone will be too busy with those to really care about Ohio 12th which will just be rightfully forgotten in the fray. And reenter obscurity till after redistricting.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #787 on: August 07, 2018, 03:24:38 AM »

This truly is a now or never moment for dems in Ohio 12th for the next four years till redistricting, and I am fairly confident that we are going to blow it. That said, if O'Connor somehow defies all odds and eeks it out, consider him a strong favorite for november.
Rhenna
Gabor
United States

« Reply #788 on: August 07, 2018, 03:37:00 AM »

Going to say Balderson wins so when O'Connor wins I won't be disappointed.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #789 on: August 07, 2018, 05:53:54 AM »

Go Danny !

2.30am ?

7:30 PM EDT, which is 1:30 AM CEST.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #790 on: August 07, 2018, 06:37:51 AM »

Go Danny !

2.30am ?

7:30 PM EDT, which is 1:30 AM CEST.

I trained myself for weeks so that I could stay up until 4am and see the results come in. I hope you guys appreciate my efforts.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #791 on: August 07, 2018, 06:42:24 AM »

This truly is a now or never moment for dems in Ohio 12th for the next four years till redistricting, and I am fairly confident that we are going to blow it. That said, if O'Connor somehow defies all odds and eeks it out, consider him a strong favorite for november.

Probably, which is also why I'm confident the likes of Mike Coffman and Dino Rossi. Personal popularity (if O'Connor wins) is a powerful thing.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #792 on: August 07, 2018, 07:07:28 AM »

I swear to god Bagel if you make one more reply to this thread saying Balderson is going to win by 6 or some other hogwash I'm launching an ICBM at suburban Dallas
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #793 on: August 07, 2018, 07:09:15 AM »

Sean T from RCP, who lives in the area, thinks that Trump's rally probably did more to help O'Connor than Balderson.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #794 on: August 07, 2018, 07:09:48 AM »
« Edited: August 07, 2018, 08:35:22 AM by Pope Michael Bolton »

I’ll have on-the-ground turnout reports after work.  I may also have anecdotals about some combination of Dublin, New Albany, Worthington, Heath (a city in Licking County), and Powell as well, but no promises.  

More anecdotals:
- A friend of mine (registered independent who *very* reluctantly voted for Hillary to stop Trump and whose family lives in Powell and consists of an independent who also reluctantly voted for Hillary and three Republicans, two of whom voted for Trump - the parents - and one of whom wrote-in a Kasich/Gary Johnson ticket of all things) said he’s voting for O’Connor along with everyone in his family except the dad who is voting for Balderson b/c he’s “tough on immigration.”  

- Yard sign report: Three in Gahanna, one in Columbus, and one in Dublin for O’Connor.  I have literally seen only one Balderson sign this cycle and it was in Hilliard (Stivers’ district Tongue ).  No non-Franklin County yardsigns for anyone when I drove to The Wilds about a month/3 weeks ago.  A number of houses in Gahanna and New Albany where this is the first major race where I’ve ever seen them without a yard sign for a Republican.  Franklin County is definitely gonna do its part for O’Connor Tongue

Full-disclosure: I don’t go to the other (non-Franklin County) parts of the district too often.
ajwiopjawefoiwefnwn
JaydonBrooks
Rookie
United States
« Reply #795 on: August 07, 2018, 07:16:25 AM »

The two districts are different, so it's hard to say that because Trump's rally helped Saccone, it will help Balderson.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #796 on: August 07, 2018, 07:28:34 AM »

Good morning all...Happy Election Day! Let's get a win!
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #797 on: August 07, 2018, 07:56:43 AM »
« Edited: August 07, 2018, 08:31:56 AM by THE BuckeyeNut »

jbd, Grandview is entirely within be 15th, not the 12th.

Also two stories.

1: Similar to jbd’s situation, a good family friend of mine in Powell has been canvassed 5 times by the O’Connor campaign. She’s a professor at OSU and a regular Democrat, so I guess they just want to make sure everyone turns out.

2: Per NOVA’s point about Licking looking concernin for O’Connor, I know for a fact that the Denison College Democrats were pleading with the O’Connor campaign to help them get students absentee ballot request forms back in May, and the O’Connor campaign basically shrugged it off at the time. Now, evidently, theyve been scrambling to try and pull more student votes out of Licking, and they’re just not there since school isn’t in.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #798 on: August 07, 2018, 08:07:37 AM »

I swear to god Bagel if you make one more reply to this thread saying Balderson is going to win by 6 or some other hogwash I'm launching an ICBM at suburban Dallas

Lol, It's not like it's within the rcp moe or anything, as soon as polls close I can basically start calling Balderson congressman-elect.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #799 on: August 07, 2018, 08:08:28 AM »

Bring on the anecdotal turnout and weather reports
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 71  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies