OH-12 Special Election: Balderson vs. O’Connor on August 7
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:08:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH-12 Special Election: Balderson vs. O’Connor on August 7
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 71
Author Topic: OH-12 Special Election: Balderson vs. O’Connor on August 7  (Read 108293 times)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: July 30, 2018, 10:52:34 AM »

The thing I'm now eagerly watching for is how well O'Connor does in the precincts that overlap with State House Districts 19, 21, and 24, which are all top pickup opportunities at the moment and represent half of the seats Ohio Democrats need to win over to break the Republican supermajority.

Interesting.... I haven't looked at the OH LD math, let alone followed the OH State House/Senate races, but I do have a ton of raw data, if you're interested in having me pull more detailed precinct stuff later on (After the OH CD-12 Special Election results are published of course Wink ).... 

Definitely interested, after the special. Smiley

Feel free to pop over into the Ohio thread when the time comes!
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #401 on: July 30, 2018, 11:03:35 AM »

Ed Gillebsy.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #402 on: July 30, 2018, 11:41:44 AM »

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #403 on: July 30, 2018, 12:15:41 PM »

That should be a no-brainer for every Dem candidate.
Unlike Pelosi, Jordan is a despicable human being.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #404 on: July 30, 2018, 03:09:09 PM »

Vice president Pence held a rally for balderson in Newark today.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #405 on: July 30, 2018, 03:13:43 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #406 on: July 30, 2018, 03:17:45 PM »

Wouldn't that count as vote-buying? Cheesy
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #407 on: July 30, 2018, 03:48:20 PM »

Today's update. Overall, low number of in person returns today, and with the GOP's typical advantage among mail in absentees, this lead them to eking out a narrow win for the first time. However, as Franklin reports more of today's absentee returns this could well be undone, so don't freak out too much.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #408 on: July 30, 2018, 03:52:25 PM »

There are 7 days of absentee voting left, and historical trends suggest that the number of "Other" ballots should dramatically increase in the closing days. Also, there are typically a lot of in person Democratic ballots cast on Saturday and Sunday before the election, the only weekend days when in person early voting is open. Hard to say exactly where O'Connor is going to end up in the early vote, but I think it is likely he ends up winning it 20+ (though the Democratic registration edge may well be lower than that by election day).
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #409 on: July 30, 2018, 03:54:43 PM »

Vice president Pence held a rally for balderson in Newark today.

The missing Veep holds a rally? Dems have plenty of seats to grab hold onto even if they lose this one.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #410 on: July 30, 2018, 03:56:26 PM »

56-32 is not exactly a comforting margin for O'Connor given expected E-Day turnout.
john cage bubblegum

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #411 on: July 30, 2018, 03:59:34 PM »

There are 7 days of absentee voting left, and historical trends suggest that the number of "Other" ballots should dramatically increase in the closing days. Also, there are typically a lot of in person Democratic ballots cast on Saturday and Sunday before the election, the only weekend days when in person early voting is open. Hard to say exactly where O'Connor is going to end up in the early vote, but I think it is likely he ends up winning it 20+ (though the Democratic registration edge may well be lower than that by election day).

Thank you for the regular updates on the OH-12 early vote.  Funny, I was about to ask if there were any tendencies when early voting access is expanded, with additional hours in the final week and weekend voting in that final weekend.

I would guess the extension of early voting hours from 5pm to 7pm during the final week would increase the EV numbers overall, but not with a significant change in the partisan tendencies of the voters.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #412 on: July 30, 2018, 04:09:52 PM »

56-32 is not exactly a comforting margin for O'Connor given expected E-Day turnout.

Given the number of relocated and, especially, first time voters the other category constitutes, I wouldn't be too worried if I was O'Connor
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #413 on: July 30, 2018, 04:19:57 PM »

Given the number of relocated and, especially, first time voters the other category constitutes, I wouldn't be too worried if I was O'Connor

I think this hits the nail on the head. Probably tonight and throughout the week I will have some more analysis of how many of early voters are new registers and also what the return rates are for the various parties across the 7 counties. Expect to see the numbers for the latter tonight or tomorrow at the latest.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #414 on: July 30, 2018, 04:55:40 PM »

As you can see, the ballot return rate for Democrats is substantially higher than Republicans and Other voters, possibly indicating a pronounced enthusiasm gap between the two parties in this special election. Additionally, Franklin, Delaware and Licking Counties have higher than average absentee returns, lending credence to the "suburban surge" that O'Connor will need to win.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #415 on: July 30, 2018, 05:32:33 PM »

I think this hits the nail on the head. Probably tonight and throughout the week I will have some more analysis of how many of early voters are new registers and also what the return rates are for the various parties across the 7 counties. Expect to see the numbers for the latter tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

Do we know what the final early vote numbers looked like here in 2016? I thought I saw on Twitter that it was a pretty decent Republican lead.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #416 on: July 30, 2018, 05:40:07 PM »

Trump just tweeted about this race for the third time. This time promoting that Balderson will protect your Social Security and Medicare, which deviates from the typical Trump endorsement template.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #417 on: July 30, 2018, 05:53:11 PM »

I've been alerted to the fact that early voting hours are extended this week, so I may be updating today's counts later with the last couple hours of voting, assuming the databases I access update this evening (they may not).
JG

« Reply #418 on: July 30, 2018, 05:54:17 PM »

Trump just tweeted about this race for the third time. This time promoting that Balderson will protect your Social Security and Medicare, which deviates from the typical Trump endorsement template.

Sounds like a weird way to promote a Republican.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #419 on: July 30, 2018, 05:58:18 PM »

Sounds like a weird way to promote a Republican.

It's also not necessarily a good appeal to the district, even if it is the last bastion of reliable Kasich Republicanism...
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #420 on: July 30, 2018, 06:00:41 PM »

Looks like Balderson has not done a good job of brining together Republicans:

Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #421 on: July 30, 2018, 06:06:34 PM »

Looks like Balderson has not done a good job of brining together Republicans:

Like clockwork, Republicans floating possible explanations for a loss here. Still, this could explain why Republican turnout has been particularly anemic in early voting thus far.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #422 on: July 30, 2018, 06:11:23 PM »

Looking into this, apparently Balderson's primary opponent, Melanie Leneghan, has filed suit alleging that the primary was rigged in favor of Balderson through fraud in Franklin and Muskingum Counties.

Here is the case on the Ohio Supreme Court docket: http://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/Clerk/ecms/#/caseinfo/2018/0866
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #423 on: July 30, 2018, 06:18:34 PM »

Looking into this, apparently Balderson's primary opponent, Melanie Leneghan, has filed suit alleging that the primary was rigged in favor of Balderson through fraud in Franklin and Muskingum Counties.

Here is the case on the Ohio Supreme Court docket: http://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/Clerk/ecms/#/caseinfo/2018/0866

That’s exactly the kind of story Balderson needs heading into next week
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #424 on: July 30, 2018, 06:23:37 PM »

After reading the complaint, the allegations of improper recount procedures and vote tampering in Muskingum County are actually pretty serious and credible.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 71  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies