Who would you vote for? 2016 US Election with German style political parties
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:00:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Who would you vote for? 2016 US Election with German style political parties
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would vote for? Pick one choice for the constituency seat and one more for the party-list proportional seat. Only pick CSU if you live in Texas. (Pick two total options in the poll)
Constituency Option (Individual seat option
SDP
CDU
CSU
FDP
The Greens/AA Alliance
The Left
AfA
Party-List Proportional Option (NPV option)
Obama
Rubio
Cruz
Paul
Gore and Waters
Sanders
Trump and Bachmann
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Who would you vote for? 2016 US Election with German style political parties  (Read 1044 times)
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 15, 2017, 11:09:04 PM »
« edited: October 16, 2017, 12:23:59 AM by Representative LouisvilleThunder »

Under this scenario, the Constitution has been amended amid the political turmoil of the Great Depression to give the House of Representatives considerably more power, and the President and Senate became weaker. There are 435 constituency seats based on real life House districts and 435 additional party-list proportional seats based on the national popular vote. Each federal election to the House of Representatives is held once every four years, and there is no 22nd amendment as in real life. Chancellor Obama has been head of government since the 2008 federal elections when the SPD almost won a majority of seats, only having to form a coalition with The Left. Then, Obama narrowly kept his Chancellorship in an extremely close election in 2012 due to the AfA barely missing the 5% NPV threshold needed to win seats in Congress (The CSU is technically part of the CDU and has a special arrangement since they are pledged to always sit together in Congress), and the CDU/CSU couldn't form a coalition with the FDP and AfA needed to win a majority of seats while the Greens/AA Alliance didn't want to negotiate with the CDU as they had a better deal with the SPD, and its voters supported the Chancellor. That meant that Obama formed a coalition after his reelection victory with the house with The Greens/AA Alliance and The Left which continues to govern into the 2016 elections. Each party is listed with the leader(s), 2012 result including the Constituency Seat Total Vote (CSTV), number of CS won, National Popular Vote for Party List Seats (NPV), Total proportional seats won, total seats won, party position on the political spectrum, and a picture of the leader(s).
Current Government
SDP+The Greens/AA Alliance+The Left=438 Seats
Current Opposition
CDU/CSU+FDP=432 Seats

Social Democratic Party (Leader since 2008: Incumbent Chancellor Barack Obama) 2012 Result: 37% CSTV-176 Seats+35% NPV-135 Seats=311 Total Seats
Center to Left on economic issues, Center to Left on social issues, Internationalist and Realist on foreign policy

Christian Democratic Union-Contests all states except Texas (Leader since 2013: Marco Rubio) 2012 Result: 40% CSTV-187 Seats+36% NPV w/o TX-141 Seats=328 Total Seats
Center to Right on economic issues, Center to Right on social issues, Hawkish Neoconservative and Realist on foreign policy
Leader during 2012: John McCain (Leader: 1999-2013-Chancellor: 2005-2009)

Christian Social Union-Texas only party (Leader since 2015: Ted Cruz) 2012 Result: 3% CSTV-24 Seats+2% NPV-7 Seats=31 Total Seats
Right to Far-Right on economic issues, Right to Far-Right on Social Issues, Hawkish and Neoconservative on foreign policy
Leader during 2012: George W. Bush (1997-2015)

Free Democratic Party (Leader since 2014: Rand Paul) 2012 Result: 8% CSTV-16 Seats+9% NPV 57 Seats=73 Total Seats
Center-Right to Far Right on economic issues, Center-Left to Far-Left on social issues, Dovish and Isolationist on foreign policy
Leader during 2012: Ron Paul (2003-2014)

The Greens/African American Alliance (Co-Leaders since 2009: Al Gore and Maxine Waters) 2012 Result: 6% CSTV-17 Seats+8% NPV-49 Seats=66 Total Seats
Center-Left to Left on economic issues, Left to Far-Left on social issues, Dovish and Internationalist on foreign policy

The Left (Leader since party's founding in 2004: Bernie Sanders) 2012 Result: 4% CSTV-12 Seats+6% NPV-49 Seats=61 Total Seats
Left to Far-Left on economic issues, Center-Left to Far-Left on social issues, Dovish and Isolationist on foreign policy

Alternative for America (Co-Leaders: Donald Trump since 2015 and Michele Bachmann since party's founding in 2012) 2012 Result: 2% CSTV-0 Seats+4% NPV-0 seats=0 Total Seats
Center-Left to Far-Right on economic issues, Center to Far-Right on social issues, Isolationist and Hawkish on foreign policy

TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 11:22:48 PM »

FDP and Rubio
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 11:46:04 PM »

SDP and Barack Obama. 
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 11:56:19 PM »

Greens and Obama.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 06:48:48 AM »

FDP/Rubio
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 06:54:48 AM »

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 07:07:49 AM »

West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 07:41:05 AM »

Green or the Left Purple heart Waters, Gore, Sanders
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 01:52:22 PM »

At the time definitely AfA and Trump/Bachmann

Now I'd probably abstain
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 02:09:42 PM »

Well, initially I thought it would be a tough choice. And if the Greens were in their own list, it would be- Gore is awesome. But a racial party lead by Maxine Waters? Nah, thanks. And while I supported the German FDP- a Paul party?! Oh, no, no way, count me out.
Enthusiastic vote for SDP and Obama.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 02:15:56 PM »

Well, initially I thought it would be a tough choice. And if the Greens were in their own list, it would be- Gore is awesome. But a racial party lead by Maxine Waters? Nah, thanks. And while I supported the German FDP- a Paul party?! Oh, no, no way, count me out.

This. While I could support the CDU or FDP in Germany, applying these parties to American politicians actually doesn't come across too appealing for me. Its tough to see where a kind of Blue Dog-like guy me falls.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 02:37:33 PM »

This. While I could support the CDU or FDP in Germany, applying these parties to American politicians actually doesn't come across too appealing for me. Its tough to see where a kind of Blue Dog-like guy me falls.

Yeah if the CDU in this scenario was lead by a Blue Dog type Democrat, or a more reasonable Republican (say Romney) rather than a Rubio-type Republican I'd vote for them.

Then for CDU and FDP in Germany, I would have been a CDU supporter until 2 years ago (but not anymore), and out of the mainstream parties the FDP currently seem to be somewhat reasonable (they would have been my second choice in the German election), but I don't like their American counterparts in this scenario.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 02:59:22 PM »

Oh, and LouisvilleThunder, I'm curious, who was chancellor before McCain?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 05:05:07 PM »

Leaders from 1970s onwards:
CDU: Nelson Rockefeller, Gerald Ford, Howard Baker, Jack Kemp, George W. Bush, Bob Bennett, John Kasich
CSU: Jesse Helms, John Tower, Phil Gramm, Elizabeth Dole, Newt Gingrich, Ted Cruz
SPD: Pete McCloskey, Walter Mondale, Gary Hart, Edward J. King, Daniel Patrick Moynihan, Dick Gephardt, Barack Obama
FDP: John Lindsay, Mark Hatfield, Edward Brooke, John B. Anderson, Paul Tsongas, Howard Dean, Gary Johnson, Bill Weld
Green: Eugene McCarthy, Billy Hickel, La Donna Harris, David Cobb, Al Gore
The Left: George McGovern, Jesse Jackson, Robert Reich, Paul Wellstone, Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren
AfD: Alan Keyes, Tom Tancredo, Walter B. Jones Jr.

I really don’t think your leaders are very realistic.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 06:56:06 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2017, 07:06:41 PM by Representative LouisvilleThunder »

Yeah if the CDU in this scenario was lead by a Blue Dog type Democrat, or a more reasonable Republican (say Romney) rather than a Rubio-type Republican I'd vote for them.

Then for CDU and FDP in Germany, I would have been a CDU supporter until 2 years ago (but not anymore), and out of the mainstream parties the FDP currently seem to be somewhat reasonable (they would have been my second choice in the German election), but I don't like their American counterparts in this scenario.
Yeah, this definitely is a bad time to be a Blue Dog, as this part of the electorate formerly loyal to the SDP is frustrated with the Obama administration and it is most likely to play a large role in the expansion of the AfA.
Oh, and LouisvilleThunder, I'm curious, who was chancellor before McCain?
Dick Gephardt was Chancellor from 2003-2005 after Bill Clinton (Chancellor 1993-2005; Party Leader: 1991-2003) is forced out by a vote of no-confidence by members of his own SDP due to his decision to invade Iraq, and Gephardt was an inept leader who couldn't unite the SPD during the 2004 elections. I plan on turning this into a timeline soon, and I'll elaborate more about that later.
Leaders from 1970s onwards:
CDU: Nelson Rockefeller, Gerald Ford, Howard Baker, Jack Kemp, George W. Bush, Bob Bennett, John Kasich
CSU: Jesse Helms, John Tower, Phil Gramm, Elizabeth Dole, Newt Gingrich, Ted Cruz
SPD: Pete McCloskey, Walter Mondale, Gary Hart, Edward J. King, Daniel Patrick Moynihan, Dick Gephardt, Barack Obama
FDP: John Lindsay, Mark Hatfield, Edward Brooke, John B. Anderson, Paul Tsongas, Howard Dean, Gary Johnson, Bill Weld
Green: Eugene McCarthy, Billy Hickel, La Donna Harris, David Cobb, Al Gore
The Left: George McGovern, Jesse Jackson, Robert Reich, Paul Wellstone, Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren
AfD: Alan Keyes, Tom Tancredo, Walter B. Jones Jr.
I really don’t think your leaders are very realistic.
I see your idea and agree with some of those leaders, but I have already thought of a different scenario for these parties. Also, the CSU is a Texas only party in a parallel to the CSU only being ran in Bavaria, so the CDU leaders I have in mind are typical establishment conservatives as the CDU is pretty much the RL Republican Party without the Libertarians, Populists, or nearly as much of the Tea Party. The CDU/CSU and FDP are also considerably more conservative than their real German German counterparts because Americans as a whole are more conservative than Europeans. Also, Kasich and Romney did compete with Rubio for CDU leadership, who had the benefit of being McCain's handpicked successor after he retired from Congress after failing to defeat Obama in his 2012 rematch and Lindsey Graham, a stalwart friend of McCain, refused to run for party leader and endorsed Rubio instead. Also, I understand your suggestions for FDP leader, but I don't get why you think Howard Dean would be one, and in this scenario, the Pauls are more likely to show off their social liberalness because they don't need to worry about appeasing socons and neocons as in RL. Additionally, I think the Green Party would have more famous leaders than Hickel, Harris, and Cobb. For The Left, which is only founded in 2004 due to left-wing anger over the Iraq war, some of these names will be featured in former left wing parties and movements. Finally, the AfA is dealing with a divide between the traditional Far-Right Christian fundamentalist establishment led by Bachmann and the new faction led by Trump who is more focused on nationalism and populism which attracts Blue-Dogs angry with their lack of appealing choices.
JGibson
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 03:06:17 PM »

SDP/Left swing voter, Sanders
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 05:30:54 PM »

I mean in reality the FDP wouldn't be a doctrinaire Libertarian Party if this were like Germany; they'd be the Smiley Nice Guy FF Smiley party that they are in Germany that gets the votes of either very rich people or people who don't care about politics.

Also I don't know why you're listing candidates for the list vote and parties for the constituency vote, that seems very backwards and seems to be confusing people?
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 05:33:13 PM »

I mean in reality the FDP wouldn't be a doctrinaire Libertarian Party if this were like Germany; they'd be the Smiley Nice Guy FF Smiley party that they are in Germany that gets the votes of either very rich people or people who don't care about politics.

Also I don't know why you're listing candidates for the list vote and parties for the constituency vote, that seems very backwards and seems to be confusing people?

Lindner somewhat changed their platform, but their 2009 election campaign basically was TAX CUTS and nothing else (and in the end they got f**ed when Mutti said no to tax cuts). So I get where the libertarian impression comes from Tongue.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2017, 05:39:41 PM »

in all fairness, wasn't that basically the message pf the Johnson/Weld ticket?
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 09:54:15 PM »

CSU/Rubio.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 05:46:58 AM »

At the time definitely AfA and Trump/Bachmann

Now I'd probably abstain

I guess if I really had to pick a second choice, it would be CSU/Rubio...but eww
President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 08:59:25 AM »

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2017, 10:51:27 AM »

I'd only ever vote for The Left and Sanders.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2017, 08:16:25 PM »

SNJ1985
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57