Congressional Discussion Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:23:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Congressional Discussion Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Congressional Discussion Thread  (Read 33902 times)
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« on: July 05, 2019, 05:25:28 PM »

The previous attorney general, 1184AZ, was effectively forced into resignation
Inaccurate

I used effectively for a reason, I understand that you did not make him resign. What I meant was that public opinion of him was so low that he had little choice but to resign.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 01:49:26 AM »

Just post in the debate threads, I am not Polnut, I welcome discussion from all corners. Tongue

I was educated when it was written somewhere that people not in government should not write in the debate threads, use the discussion thread. I see the reason for this, if many start writing in debate bills it can make debate more difficult to follow, someone writes when a vote is going on etc. And using the discussion thread could get debates among citizens or make them aware of some issues discussed.

Around a year ago I floated a Lincoln Bill called the "Legislative Respect Act", which would have established a blanket policy that if someone who was not a federal or regional elected or appointed official posted in a Lincoln bill debate thread, their post would be immediately reported to the mods with a request to delete the post, regardless of its content. I was promptly criticized for it in private and ended up withdrawing the bill. Anecdotal Evidence is Anecdotal Evidence, but that certainly suggests we are living in different times.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 12:01:32 AM »

I understand the check on absolute power. It is very useful for jobs on GM team and Supreme Court. They have authority and sometimes can't be easily removed. An argument of not trusting someone can be enough for those jobs.

For a Cabinet position there can be supervision by the White House. I don't know how White House operates, if the SoS does its own thing or needs to ask President before making big decisions. If the SOS gets out of control and does harmful things or against the President wishes it can be fired quickly. The danger if you not fully trust the nominee isn't as big.

I guess I was surprised from where the opposition comes from. I would more expect senators from enemy parties opposing the President's nomination. Maybe I am wrong but opposition comes from people that I would imagine are supporting the President. They are stopping the President from staffing  the cabinet with people he chose by opposing his pick.

As a detailed analysis of the recent election shows, there was a clear split among left-leaning voters between the Tim ticket and the Sirius ticket, and the Tim ticket only won in the end because of the right utterly abandoning the OSR ticket. Many on the left did not vote for this administration and thus have no inherent reason to trust it.

While there is some oversight from the President, NSC, and GM Team the SOS does not legally have to get permission ahead of time to post orders. Given Laki's behavior over the years, particularly being liable to change positions at a moment's notice, it is hard to trust how he would act in maintaining key relationships with allies across the globe or in handling time-sensitive matters. This isn't personal, and I even agree with Laki's side of the story on things from time to time, most prominently the collapse of the coalition that elected the Tack Administration, it's just simply a recognition that the position of SOS needs someone with a level head whose integrity is beyond reproach. That simply isn't Laki.

Deference to the executive is important, and I've shown it in the past, like in voting for Sestak's Supreme Court confirmation and for Dule as Deputy AG, both cases where I could have made an excuse to vote No but ultimately voted in favor. But it's not absolute. Where a nominee is firmly inept for the job, it's the Senate's role to deny the confirmation, not to "hope for the best" and confirm anyways because "oh the president can just fire them later" and then wonder why there is suddenly a poor response to an emergency situation that becomes an unnecessary headache for all involved.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies