Congressional Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:25:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Congressional Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: Congressional Discussion Thread  (Read 33160 times)
FairBol
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 29, 2023, 01:06:45 AM »

I'm not sure if the White House thread is the proper place to discuss this....I'll do so here instead. 

I have to register my dismay at the passage of SB 115-11 Right To Choose Act, and urge President Tack to veto the bill. 

First off, I disagree that having an abortion is an exercise of a "fundamental right".  What we are talking about is the ending ("termination") of a life.  And yes, a fetus is indeed a living organism, as it satisfies all scientific criteria for "life"...Google it, but that's Biology 101. 

That said, what do we call the action of ending a life (without just cause to do so)?

I'll give you a hint....

...we call it MURDER.  And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that murder is punishable by law. 

Second, I disagree that this procedure should be "protected".  IMHO, it should only be protected as far as is necessary in the "life of the mother" argument.  That is, abortions should be only be allowed when the mother's life is in danger, and there is no way to save her other than to "terminate" the pregnancy. 

Finally, the Atlasian Constitution says nothing as to whether or not the regulation of abortion is within the powers of the federal government.  Nevertheless, it does say this (in Article I Section 14):

The enumeration of certain rights in this Constitution shall not be construed as to deny or disparage those natural rights and liberties herein unlisted.

I read this as analogous to the 10th Amendment of the US Constitution: "the powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people".   

Translated: The individual states each have the right to make such laws as have not been specifically mentioned as powers of the federal government. 

Now let me cite Article I, Section 5 of the Atlasian Constitution:

No person shall be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law.

Note the word "life" in that sentence. 

Now, having done my litigating and arguing duties for the night (LOL), I am going to bed.  Happy Memorial Day, all.  Smiley
Jay 🏳️‍⚧️
trippytropicana
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #151 on: June 26, 2023, 02:54:13 PM »

Is this the current working version of SR 115-33?

The original two line proposal has hilariously ballooned into a 10 clause amendment, which is pretty funny.

And as someone who lives in the South, I do think this would be good. Kinda boring to have such long (one year!) terms for what is just a game at the end of the day...
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #152 on: November 10, 2023, 05:49:08 PM »

In the suggestions of name for a new capital I see Griffinville. A variant of that name could also be Griffintown. (Griffintown is a neighborood in Montreal)

My proposal for the name is Jomar.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #153 on: March 06, 2024, 10:42:01 PM »

I have this to say on SB 120-03 Let there be duels amendment.

I am against duels. I feel the Atlasian society has evolved and doesn't need duels as a way to solve conflicts between players.

A duel result in a deregistration. The game will lose a player. It's not good for activity, it doesn't help it.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #154 on: March 09, 2024, 10:23:22 PM »

I find it interesting that Labor senators are leading the charge against the nomination of a Secretary of State by a Labor President. They are undermining his authority and judgement. If people are afraid of the nominee doing terrible or dangerous things on the job, the President can always dismiss him. Senators are not trusting the President to influence and control his Cabinet.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #155 on: March 09, 2024, 10:44:15 PM »

I find it interesting that Labor senators are leading the charge against the nomination of a Secretary of State by a Labor President. They are undermining his authority and judgement. If people are afraid of the nominee doing terrible or dangerous things on the job, the President can always dismiss him. Senators are not trusting the President to influence and control his Cabinet.
Phrasing it that way makes it sound bad but I do believe that is kind of the point of senate hearings: to prevent the president from wielding absolute power.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #156 on: March 10, 2024, 09:33:15 PM »

I understand the check on absolute power. It is very useful for jobs on GM team and Supreme Court. They have authority and sometimes can't be easily removed. An argument of not trusting someone can be enough for those jobs.

For a Cabinet position there can be supervision by the White House. I don't know how White House operates, if the SoS does its own thing or needs to ask President before making big decisions. If the SOS gets out of control and does harmful things or against the President wishes it can be fired quickly. The danger if you not fully trust the nominee isn't as big.

I guess I was surprised from where the opposition comes from. I would more expect senators from enemy parties opposing the President's nomination. Maybe I am wrong but opposition comes from people that I would imagine are supporting the President. They are stopping the President from staffing  the cabinet with people he chose by opposing his pick.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #157 on: March 11, 2024, 12:01:32 AM »

I understand the check on absolute power. It is very useful for jobs on GM team and Supreme Court. They have authority and sometimes can't be easily removed. An argument of not trusting someone can be enough for those jobs.

For a Cabinet position there can be supervision by the White House. I don't know how White House operates, if the SoS does its own thing or needs to ask President before making big decisions. If the SOS gets out of control and does harmful things or against the President wishes it can be fired quickly. The danger if you not fully trust the nominee isn't as big.

I guess I was surprised from where the opposition comes from. I would more expect senators from enemy parties opposing the President's nomination. Maybe I am wrong but opposition comes from people that I would imagine are supporting the President. They are stopping the President from staffing  the cabinet with people he chose by opposing his pick.

As a detailed analysis of the recent election shows, there was a clear split among left-leaning voters between the Tim ticket and the Sirius ticket, and the Tim ticket only won in the end because of the right utterly abandoning the OSR ticket. Many on the left did not vote for this administration and thus have no inherent reason to trust it.

While there is some oversight from the President, NSC, and GM Team the SOS does not legally have to get permission ahead of time to post orders. Given Laki's behavior over the years, particularly being liable to change positions at a moment's notice, it is hard to trust how he would act in maintaining key relationships with allies across the globe or in handling time-sensitive matters. This isn't personal, and I even agree with Laki's side of the story on things from time to time, most prominently the collapse of the coalition that elected the Tack Administration, it's just simply a recognition that the position of SOS needs someone with a level head whose integrity is beyond reproach. That simply isn't Laki.

Deference to the executive is important, and I've shown it in the past, like in voting for Sestak's Supreme Court confirmation and for Dule as Deputy AG, both cases where I could have made an excuse to vote No but ultimately voted in favor. But it's not absolute. Where a nominee is firmly inept for the job, it's the Senate's role to deny the confirmation, not to "hope for the best" and confirm anyways because "oh the president can just fire them later" and then wonder why there is suddenly a poor response to an emergency situation that becomes an unnecessary headache for all involved.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2024, 11:56:40 PM »

Quite apart from Laki not absorbing a single word any of us have said, which is sadly too common to be remarked upon in its own right, is anyone else feeling that 12 senators not voting on the SoFE confirmation is horrendous turnout?

It's not in the rules because everyone thought it would be obvious that closing the vote with a majority of Senators yet to vote (never mind 2/3rds) is unacceptable. If the Vice President feels differently I'd like to hear why.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #159 on: March 26, 2024, 04:55:06 PM »

Is there a way for the Senate to not recognize Wulfric as a valid Senator, not allow him to be seated. I would ask the AG but ...
Clearly he does not represent the small party with the long name. He is not even in it anymore, was in it a few minutes.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #160 on: March 26, 2024, 06:30:37 PM »

Is there a way for the Senate to not recognize Wulfric as a valid Senator, not allow him to be seated. I would ask the AG but ...
Clearly he does not represent the small party with the long name. He is not even in it anymore, was in it a few minutes.
If you believe Wulfric's appointment to the senate was not valid under the law, sue.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies