Would Romney Have Been Reelected in 2016? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:03:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Would Romney Have Been Reelected in 2016? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Would Romney Have Been Reelected in 2016?  (Read 1797 times)
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« on: October 13, 2017, 05:21:38 PM »

Honestly, President Romney would've crushed Hillary. He'd have an incumbency advantage, economic improvement, and would be much more favorable than Trump. Hillary would still be bogged down by the email/Benghazi baggage, so Romney plows over her in the general.

President Mitt Romney (R-MA)/Vice President Paul Ryan (R-WI) - 396 EV (54.2%)
Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (D-NY)/Senator Mark Warner (D-VA) - 142 EV (44.7%)
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 07:51:10 PM »

Honestly, President Romney would've crushed Hillary. He'd have an incumbency advantage, economic improvement, and would be much more favorable than Trump. Hillary would still be bogged down by the email/Benghazi baggage, so Romney plows over her in the general.

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (D-NY)/Senator Mark Warner (D-VA) - 142 EV (44.7%)

A Dem Senate pushing back against those investigations would help her cause substantially.  I'm not even sure the public would find out about the private server.  Note that I still have a bigger R win than 2004 for Romney, though.
I'm not sure if the Senate would be Democratic, I can assume the GOP made gains in 2012, while 2014 was stacked against the Democrats.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 08:28:45 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2017, 08:35:23 AM by Moderate Democrat »

A Dem Senate pushing back against those investigations would help her cause substantially.  I'm not even sure the public would find out about the private server.  Note that I still have a bigger R win than 2004 for Romney, though.
I'm not sure if the Senate would be Democratic, I can assume the GOP made gains in 2012, while 2014 was stacked against the Democrats.

You think they would net lose 3 seats in a 2014 midterm with a Republican president?  Even with the bad map for them, Romney would need >55%, maybe >60% approval.
I'm just not sure what seats they'd lose. I could see Kansas going for Greg Orman (who never said who he'd caucus with), Georgia going for Michelle Nunn, and maybe Kentucky going for Alison Grimes. Montana, South Dakota, and West Virginia were almost guaranteed Republican pickups. So the GOP has essentially balanced out whatever gains the Democrats could've made by picking up those three seats.

Edit: Here's a map of 2014 under Romney. Light colors denote pickups, dark colors denote holds.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies