Favourite lines from a film?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:54:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Favourite lines from a film?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Favourite lines from a film?  (Read 4632 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 25, 2005, 11:01:45 AM »

Mine's from Gone With The Wind

As God is my witness, as God is my witness they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be hungry again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat or kill. As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again. : Scarlett O'Hara

Dave
TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 11:15:04 AM »
« Edited: August 25, 2005, 11:20:15 AM by TX_1824 »

1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: Who goes there?

King Arthur: It is I, Arthur, son of Uther Pendragon, from the castle of Camelot. King of the Britons, defeater of the Saxons, Sovereign of all England!

1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: Pull the other one!

King Arthur: I am, and this is my trusty servant Patsy. We have ridden the length and breadth of the land in search of knights who will join me in my court at Camelot. I must speak with your lord and master.

1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: What? Ridden on a horse?

King Arthur: Yes!

1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: You're using coconuts!

King Arthur: What?

1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: You've got two empty halves of coconut and you're bangin' 'em together.

King Arthur: So? We have ridden since the snows of winter covered this land, through the kingdom of Mercia, through...

1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: Where'd you get the coconuts?

King Arthur: We found them.

1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: Found them? In Mercia? The coconut's tropical!

King Arthur: What do you mean?

1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: Well, this is a temperate zone

King Arthur: The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?

1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

King Arthur: Not at all. They could be carried.

1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: What? A swallow carrying a coconut?

King Arthur: It could grip it by the husk!

1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

King Arthur: Well, it doesn't matter. Will you go and tell your master that Arthur from the Court of Camelot is here?

1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: Listen. In order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right?

King Arthur: Please!

1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: Am I right?

King Arthur: I'm not interested!

2nd soldier with a keen interest in birds: It could be carried by an African swallow!

1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: Oh, yeah, an African swallow maybe, but not a European swallow. That's my point.

2nd soldier with a keen interest in birds: Oh, yeah, I agree with that.

King Arthur: Will you ask your master if he wants to join my court at Camelot?!

1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: But then of course a-- African swallows are non-migratory.

2nd soldier with a keen interest in birds: Oh, yeah...

1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: So they couldn't bring a coconut back anyway...
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 12:06:38 PM »

Since I listed Lawrence of Arabia as my favorite war film in the other thread, I'll put some good quotes here:

[Arabs are looting a train after blowing it up]
Sherif Ali: It is their payment, Colonel.
Colonel Brighton: Payment?
Sherif Ali: Truly, are not British soldiers paid?
Colonel Brighton: They don't go home when they've been paid!
Sherif Ali: They are not free to!

------------------------------------------------

Mr. Dryden: A man who tells lies, like me, merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it.

-------------------------------------------------

Auda abu Tayi: It is Auda of the Howitat who speaks.
Sherif Ali: It is Ali of the Harith who answers.
Auda abu Tayi: Harith! Ali, does your father still steal?
Sherif Ali: No. Does Auda take me for one of his own bastards?
Auda abu Tayi: No, there is no resemblance. Alas, you resemble your father.
Sherif Ali: Auda flatters me.
Auda abu Tayi: You're easily flattered. I knew your father well.
Sherif Ali: Did you know your own?

--------------------------------------

General Allenby: You acted without orders, you know.
T.E. Lawrence: Shouldn't officers use their initiative at all times?
General Allenby: Not really. It's awfully dangerous.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 01:38:40 PM »

Of all the Vulcans I've ever met, he was the most...human.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 02:07:57 PM »

"The Death Star has cleared the planet.  The Death Star has cleared the planet."
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 04:04:09 PM »

"It's just a fleshwound!"
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 10:16:23 PM »

"I don't like to lose"
~Star Trek II: The wrath of Kahn

"I've always wanted to fight a desperate battle against incredible odds. "
~The last starfighter

"Let your mind go and your body will follow"
~LA story

"I have got to get me one of these"
~Independence day

"You only think I guessed wrong - that's what's so funny. I switched glasses when your back was turned. Ha-ha, you fool. You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian, when *death* is on the line.". Hahahahahah.
[Vizzini falls over dead]"
~The princess bride
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 10:20:03 PM »

And slightly more lengthy:

Frodo: I can't do this Sam.
Sam: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.
Frodo: What are we holding on to Sam?
Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.
- lord of the rings: the two towers.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 12:47:39 AM »

[Jules, Vincent and Jimmie are drinking coffee in Jimmie's kitchen]
Jules: Mmmm! Goddamn, Jimmie! This is some serious gourmet sh*t! Usually, me and Vince would be happy with some freeze-dried Taster's Choice, but he springs this serious GOURMET sh**t on us! What flavor is this?
Jimmie: Knock it off, Jules.
Jules: [pause] What?
Jimmie: I don't need you to tell me how f'cking good my coffee is, okay? I'm the one who buys it. I know how good it is. When Bonnie goes shopping she buys SH*T. Me, I buy the gourmet expensive stuff because when I drink it I want to taste it. But you know what's on my mind right now? It AIN'T the coffee in my kitchen, it's the dead n*gger in my garage.
Jules: Oh, Jimmie, don't even worry about that...
Jimmie: No, let me ask you a question. When you came pulling in here, did you see a sign out in front of my house that said Dead N*gger Storage?
Jules: Jimmie, you know I ain't seen no...
Jimmie: Did you see a sign out in front of my house that said Dead N*gger Storage?
Jules: [pause] No. I didn't.
Jimmie: You know WHY you didn't see that sign?
Jules: Why?
Jimmie: 'Cause it ain't there, 'cause storing dead n*ggers ain't my f'cking business, that's why!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vincent: And you know what they call a... a... a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?
Jules: They don't call it a Quarter Pounder with cheese?
Vincent: No man, they got the metric system. They wouldn't know what the  a Quarter Pounder is.
Jules: Then what do they call it?
Vincent: They call it a Royale with cheese.
Jules: A Royale with cheese. What do they call a Big Mac?
Vincent: Well, a Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it le Big-Mac.
Jules: Le Big-Mac. Ha ha ha ha. What do they call a Whopper?
Vincent: I dunno, I didn't go into Burger King.

-Pulp Fiction
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 03:51:35 PM »

I don't know too many quotes from movies, but this very short exchange comes to mind...

"Well sir, you are a cowardly son of a b*tch! You just shot an unarmed man!"

"Well he should've armed himself he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 04:03:28 PM »

"The names Bond...James Bond"

This one if fairly good too....
Flass:"I swear to god'
Batman:"YOU WILL SWEAR TO ME'

I'll throw in some more later.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 05:33:43 PM »

"No man who has friends is ever truly a failure."
- From my favorite and the ultimate feel-good film It's a Wonderful Life

"No man ever won a war by dying for his country. He always let the other son-of-a-bitch die for his country."
- Patton
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 05:52:17 PM »

"They invade our space, and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds, and we fall back. Not again! The line must be drawn here! This far, no farthur!! And I will make them pay for what they've done!"
- Star Trek First Contact
Captain Picard, commenting on the Borg

"It's Mr. Tricorder."
- Star Trek Generations
Data, experimenting with his new found emotion

"It was...... fun. Oh my....."
- Star Trek Generations
Captain Kirk's last words Cry
Plant City Rebel
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.17

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 06:27:54 PM »

Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone:

Quirrel:  Troll! In the dungeons!
[looks sick]
Professor Quirrel: Thought you ought to know.
[faints and crumples onto the floor]

Top Gun:
Stinger: Maverick, you just did an incredibly brave thing. What you should have done was land your plane! you don't own that plane, the tax payers do! Son, your ego is writing checks your body can't cash. You've been busted, you lost your qualifications as section leader three times, put in hack twice by me, with a history of high speed passes over five air control towers, and one admiral's daughter!
Goose: Penny Benjamin?

and Finally:

Robin Hood Prince of Thieves:
Sheriff of Nottingham: That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 07:10:30 PM »

"Get busy livin' or get busy dying." from The Shawshank Redemption
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2005, 07:25:11 PM »

Well here's your classics:

Commando-- this movie makes Arnold among the greatest actors of all time by itself.

Sully: Here's twenty dollars to get some drinks in Val Verde. It'll give us all a little more time with your daughter.
Henriques: Heh.
Matrix: You're a funny man, Sully, I like you. That's why I'm going to kill you last.

...a little while later:

Matrix: Remember, Sully, when I promised to kill you last?
Sully: That's right, Matrix. You did.
Matrix: I lied.  (drops him off cliff)

Cindy: What happened to Sully?
Matrix: I let him go.

Cindy: You don't even have a car.
[Matrix pushes Sully's overturned car back upright]
Matrix: I do now.

Matrix: [after killing a man in the plane] Don't disturb my friend, he's dead tired.

Diaz: Okay, Matrix. We have your daughter. There is someone who wishes to talk to you. If you want to see her alive, you'll cooperate, right?
Matrix: Wrong.
[shoots Diaz between the eyes]

(paraphrase)
Soldier: General, do you expect we'll find any more bodies?
Gen. Kirby: If he's alive, I'd expect a lot more.

Gen. Kirby: Leave anything for us?
Matrix: Just bodies.

Red Dawn

Jed Eckert: How did you get shot down, Colonel?
Col. Andy Tanner: It was five to one. I got four.

-------

Jed Eckert: Well, who *is* on our side?
Col. Andy Tanner: Six hundred million screamin' Chinamen.
Darryl Bates: Well, last I heard, there were a billion screamin' Chinamen.
Col. Andy Tanner: There were.

I like the second one better.

A Few Good Men

Col. Jessep: Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Whose gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall.

Heat

Vincent Hanna: I don't know how to do anything else.
Neil McCauley: Neither do I.
Vincent Hanna: I don't much want to either.
Neil McCauley: Neither do I.

Apocalypse Now - lot of goodies in this one

Photojournalist: What are they gonna say about him? What are they gonna say? That he was a kind man? That he was a wise man? That he had plans? That he had wisdom? Bullsh**t man!

Kurtz: I remember when I was with Special Forces. Seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into a camp to inoculate the children. We left the camp after we had inoculated the children for Polio, and this old man came running after us and he was crying. He couldn't see. We went back there and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And I remember... I... I... I cried. I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn't know what I wanted to do. And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it. I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought: My God... the genius of that. The genius. The will to do that. Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we. Because they could stand that these were not monsters. These were men... trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love... but they had the strength... the strength... to do that. If I had ten divisions of those men our troubles here would be over very quickly.

Colonel Lucas: Your mission is to proceed up the Nung River in a Navy patrol boat. Pick up Colonel Kurtz's path at Nu Mung Ba, follow it and learn what you can along the way. When you find the Colonel, infiltrate his team by whatever means available and terminate the Colonel's command.

Willard: Terminate the Colonel.

General Corman: He's out there operating without any decent restraint, totally beyond the pale of any acceptable human conduct. And he is still in the field commanding troops.

Civilian: Terminate with extreme prejudice.

Colonel Lucas: You understand Captain that this mission does not exist, nor will it ever exist.

---

Kurtz: Did they say why, Willard, why they want to terminate my command?

Willard: I was sent on a classified mission, sir.

Kurtz: It's no longer classified, is it? Did they tell you?

Willard: They told me that you had gone totally insane, and that your methods were unsound.
Kurtz: Are my methods unsound?

Willard: I don't see any method at all, sir.

Kurtz: I expected someone like you. What did you expect? Are you an assassin?

Willard: I'm a soldier.

Kurtz: You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

A Clockwork Orange

Alex: What we were after now was the old surprise visit. That was a real kick and good for laughs and lashings of the old ultraviolence.

Alex: We were all feeling a bit shagged and fagged and fashed, it being a night of no small expenditure.

Alex: It had been a wonderful evening and what I needed now, to give it the perfect ending, was a little of the Ludwig Van.
Cashcow

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2005, 07:52:41 PM »

A Clockwork Orange

Alex: What we were after now was the old surprise visit. That was a real kick and good for laughs and lashings of the old ultraviolence.

Alex: We were all feeling a bit shagged and fagged and fashed, it being a night of no small expenditure.

Alex: It had been a wonderful evening and what I needed now, to give it the perfect ending, was a little of the Ludwig Van.

Have you read the book? Some of the story's best lines were excluded from the movie.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2005, 08:00:25 AM »

From Caligula:

"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the Heaven's. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so I am a God" - Caligula

From Spartacus:

On God's, "Privately I believe in none of them. Neither do you. Publicly, I worship them all" Gracchus to Julius Caesar

Dave
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2005, 09:28:38 AM »

Matrix Reloaded:
Bane: Oh God!
Smith: Smith will suffice

Spinal Tap:
"It's in D minor, the saddest of all chords"

The Empire Strike Back:
Leia: I love you!
Han: I know
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2005, 09:41:54 AM »

Luke: "Look at him. He's headed for that small moon."
Han: "I think I can get him before he gets there. He's almost in range."
Obi-Wan: "That's no moon. It's a space station."
Han: "It's too big to be a space station."
Luke: "I have a very bad feeling about this."
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2005, 09:42:35 AM »

Doc Brown: "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2005, 01:00:46 AM »

Hedley Lamarr: Repeat after me: I...
Men: I...
Hedley Lamarr: ...your name...
Men: ...your name...
Hedley Lamarr: [to himself] Shmucks.
[aloud]
Hedley Lamarr: ... do pledge allegiance...
Men: ...do pledge allegiance...
Hedley Lamarr: ...to Hedley Lamarr...
Men: ...to Hedy Lamarr...
Hedley Lamarr: That's *Hedley*.
Men: That's Hedley.

---------------------------------

Bart: Are we awake?
Jim: We're not sure. Are we black?
Bart: Yes, we are.
Jim: Then we're awake, but very puzzled.

----------------------------------

Mexican Bandit: Badges? We don't need no stinking badges

-----------------------------------

Bart: Mornin', ma'am. And isn't it a lovely mornin'?
Elderly woman: Up yours n.

------------------------------------

[Gabby Johnson (on the roof of the church) spots the new sheriff riding into town]
Gabby Johnson: [shouting] The sheriff's a n.
[the last word is lost in the peal of a church bell]
Harriett Van Johnson: What did he say?
Dr. Sam Johnson: He said the sheriff is near.

-------------------------------------

[to two members of the KKK]
Jim: Oh boys, lookee what I got heyuh.
Bart: Hey, where the white women at.

--------------------------------------

[Bart and Jim are wearing KKK outfits to infiltrate the enemy's lynch mob]
Jim: [spotting Bart's black hands] How many times have I told you to wash your hands after a weekly cross burning?
[Taggart whips off Bart's hood]
Bart: For my next impression, Jesse Owens

Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2005, 01:06:55 AM »

"Taxi!"
(It ignores him.)
"Taxi!"
(It ignores him.)
"Taxi!"
(It ignores him.)
"Yes!  I'm black again!"

(Chris Rock, from Down to Earth)
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2005, 12:27:45 PM »

Colonel Nathan R. Jessep in A Few Good Men:

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Whose gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2005, 12:30:59 PM »

"...so help me God." - some guy playing Rick Santorum. The line is from Santorum's swearing in as President of the United States from his biographical movie Our Leader

Wink
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies