Why did Mitt Romney select Paul Ryan as his running mate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:41:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why did Mitt Romney select Paul Ryan as his running mate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why did Mitt Romney select Paul Ryan as his running mate  (Read 3667 times)
Pennsylvania Deplorable

« on: November 15, 2017, 02:44:40 AM »

After Walker's victory in Wisconsin, I think Romney thought he could win WI with Ryan's help. Ryan was also known as a budget hawk and the national debt was still a big GOP talking point back then. Ryan also added a more youthful look to the campaign. Of course, just being younger didn't automatically make him a compelling figure who could connect with people and he fell flat on every occasion. I think it was down to him or Rubio. Rubio might have helped Romney win Florida, but he wouldn't have helped much elsewhere.
Pennsylvania Deplorable

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 11:19:30 PM »

I don't know why Ryan wouldn't be popular with the base ... the fact that some now call him of all people a "RINO" is truly telling of the Breitbart crowd.
I think it started with him surrendering on the debt ceiling issue and passing omnibus (he was before that adored by hardcore fiscal conservatives). His attacks on Trump even during the general election cycle, support for mass immigration, and (real or perceived) support for establishment republican incumbents over tea party challengers all contributed as well. Trump also instilled in the base a deep suspicion of GOP megadonors like the Koch brothers and (not without reason) Ryan is seen as their puppet.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies