Trump approval ratings thread 1.2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 04:27:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump approval ratings thread 1.2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 78
Author Topic: Trump approval ratings thread 1.2  (Read 185376 times)
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: December 02, 2017, 03:04:56 AM »

I can imagine welfare being replaced with debt bondage. The people who really rule America are cruel, ruthless, amoral people with no moral compass, and they intend to reward themselves and their progeny for their vices forever.

dude you just described me!

I want to become a "vulture capitalist" because it's a good way to make money and I hate everyone else. If I get what I want, I don't care about anyone else getting their needs. The common man can die in poverty and rot in hell for the way they treated me when I was young.

Madame Guillotine or her equivalent could put an end to that state of affairs.

like the French Revolution?

I understand what you would want to put an end to that state of affairs. However there's a risk to be considered as a martyr by his supporters.
I prefer to send Donald in exile in a great palace with gardens somewhere in Russia. It could be a golden prison for him. Napoleon should be a great example to punish him and his staff.
I have a quote from Napoleon.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I believe he was referring to my wanting to become a capitalist so as to oppress people who oppressed me when I was young, not Trump lol
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #401 on: December 02, 2017, 04:26:19 AM »

Carter 28% (June 1979)
GHW Bush 29% (July 1992)
Trump is going to be a one term president. I don't care what happened in 2016.

I still don't get why people act like 2016 proved approval numbers don't matter. All it proved was that if you take one unpopular candidate and pit them against another unpopular candidate, one will win, and not necessarily the one that is only slightly less unpopular.

As far as I am concerned, if Trump is as unpopular as he is now (or even slightly less so), he's not going to win reelection. If he faces off against someone who is fairly popular and clean, ethics-wise, most people who strongly disapprove of him will not vote for him again and those who only somewhat disapprove will probably defect in smaller but not insignificant numbers as well.

That's a fairly big if though. Popular and competent presidential candidates don't grow on trees and the Democratic Party is rather divided at the moment. Squeaky-clean Carter was cruising in the polls in 1976 and then said something dumb in a Playboy interview and all of a sudden the race is competitive again.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #402 on: December 02, 2017, 05:19:26 AM »

Confessing that one has "lust in my heart" is far preferable to bragging that one grabs women by their (crotches). Donald Trump is about as vile a man as Jimmy Carter was decent.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #403 on: December 02, 2017, 08:17:26 AM »

and the Democratic Party is rather divided at the moment.
Fake news.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #404 on: December 02, 2017, 08:19:04 AM »

Confessing that one has "lust in my heart" is far preferable to bragging that one grabs women by their (crotches). Donald Trump is about as vile a man as Jimmy Carter was decent.
I am afraid we will sacrifice too much to have our next Carter.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #405 on: December 02, 2017, 09:51:07 AM »

Carter 28% (June 1979)
GHW Bush 29% (July 1992)
Trump is going to be a one term president. I don't care what happened in 2016.

I still don't get why people act like 2016 proved approval numbers don't matter. All it proved was that if you take one unpopular candidate and pit them against another unpopular candidate, one will win, and not necessarily the one that is only slightly less unpopular.

As far as I am concerned, if Trump is as unpopular as he is now (or even slightly less so), he's not going to win reelection. If he faces off against someone who is fairly popular and clean, ethics-wise, most people who strongly disapprove of him will not vote for him again and those who only somewhat disapprove will probably defect in smaller but not insignificant numbers as well.

That's a fairly big if though. Popular and competent presidential candidates don't grow on trees and the Democratic Party is rather divided at the moment.

The only question is whether we will have free and competitive elections. This is no longer November 2016. If there is no free election, then American democracy is dead because the Reactionary Party will be able to establish itself as the Leading Force of American politics and amend the Constitution that makes America a paradise for plutocrats and a Hell for the helots.

Donald Trump is uniting people well enough that Democrats are concerned about two things:

(1) showing their contempt for this President, and
(2) winning.

That's what one gets with a President as offensive as Trump and a Congress beholden to people who have bought a bare majority of its members. This is the most corrupt and cruel government in the First World.

Undoing the damage that Donald Trump has done will likely take more than eight years.  Donald Trump and the GOP have promised undereducated white people improved lives -- those lives will surely get worse as wages plummet and taxes rise, all so that a few plutocrats can be transformed into a permanent aristocracy. Such has never been popular even in the South.

The only job growth that I can predict will be in domestic servants.

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #406 on: December 02, 2017, 01:08:47 PM »

Gallup, 12/1

Approve 33 (-1)
Disapprove 62 (+2)

This equals Trump's worst-ever numbers in Gallup on both ends. 

After being mostly stable for a few weeks, movement over the last few days has been very bad for Trump:

11/28: 38/55 (-17)
11/29: 36/57 (-21)
11/30: 34/60 (-26)
12/1: 33/62 (-29)

It's still a little too early to say whether this is a real trend.  Gallup uses a 3-day rolling average, so one or two very good or bad samples can have effects that last a few days.  If it still looks like this next week, then I'd be willing to call it a trend.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #407 on: December 02, 2017, 01:10:00 PM »

Brrr!
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #408 on: December 02, 2017, 01:11:19 PM »

Gallup, 12/1

Approve 33 (-1)
Disapprove 62 (+2)

After being mostly stable for a few weeks, movement over the last few days has been very bad for Trump:

It's still a little too early to say whether this is a real trend.  Gallup uses a 3-day rolling average, so one or two very good or bad samples can have effects that last a few days.  If it still looks like this next week, then I'd be willing to call it a trend.
Either way, these are some stunning numbers.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #409 on: December 02, 2017, 01:26:31 PM »

Ayy just in time for winter.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #410 on: December 02, 2017, 01:55:45 PM »

No president has ever been this low and was reelected.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #411 on: December 02, 2017, 01:58:59 PM »

No president has ever been this low and was reelected.

His only shot is if he can make his opponent as unpopular as him (or if he again draws one that is already unpopular, like Clinton). I'd say it is seriously debatable whether or not he can even do that. Hillary became very unpopular due to her own constant self-created scandals. All Trump did was attempt to amplify what was already there (email scandal, ensuing fbi investigation, clinton foundation, deplorables, etc).

If his numbers stay in the 30s or even low 40s, I'd say he is cooked.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #412 on: December 02, 2017, 02:11:22 PM »

Eh, Clinton started out the 2016 cycle very popular as well, and Trump started out as unpopular as he is now. The thing with Trump is that he has a core base of support and he has a strong ability, as Fuzzy Bear has pointed out, to bring his opponents' favorables way down. Once it's in the mud, it's his ball game. The Democrats need a candidate who's not only more popular, but also has a sort of teflon quality where stuff just bounces off him/her, and they have a cult core of supporters who feel themselves as part of a movement to provide resilience. Just "not being Trump" won't be enough.
swf541

« Reply #413 on: December 02, 2017, 02:12:26 PM »

Eh, Clinton started out the 2016 cycle very popular as well, and Trump started out as unpopular as he is now. The thing with Trump is that he has a core base of support and he has a strong ability, as Fuzzy Bear has pointed out, to bring his opponents' favorables way down. Once it's in the mud, it's his ball game. The Democrats need a candidate who's not only more popular, but also has a sort of teflon quality where stuff just bounces off him/her, and they have a cult core of supporters who feel themselves as part of a movement to provide resilience. Just "not being Trump" won't be enough.

So we need Bernie and his cult?
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #414 on: December 02, 2017, 02:15:45 PM »

Yeah, he isn't winning a second term with those numbers. I am starting to believe the theory that Trump won't even run in 2020.

Remember, he thought about running in 2012, but decided not too because he knew he would lose badly.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #415 on: December 02, 2017, 02:16:20 PM »

Yeah, he isn't winning a second term with those numbers. I am starting to believe the theory that Trump won't even run in 2020.

Remember, he thought about running in 2012, but decided not too because he knew he would lose badly.

Dude... Trump's gonna be in prison by 2020
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #416 on: December 02, 2017, 02:20:50 PM »

Kobach, Rick scott and Barletta gonna get blown the  out in 2018. First by the Democrats. Then by Roy moore.

I predict 80+ House seats....no trolling. These bozos have managed to do something nobody could: Get leftists to go out and organize and vote
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #417 on: December 02, 2017, 02:24:54 PM »

One of my colleagues, a die-hard Trump fan, is so confident in Trump's reelection that he offered to bet lunch on it for the day after the 2020 election.  (I accepted.)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #418 on: December 02, 2017, 02:38:05 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2017, 02:39:47 PM by Virginia »

Huh

He has a strong ability to do that among his own base, hence why so many Republicans who get on his bad side end up tanking in the polls. He didn't make Clinton unpopular. She made herself unpopular with terrible decisions as Secretary of State and beyond. All Trump did was seize on existing scandals that had already driven her favorables down bigly.

I do agree with the the last part, about the need for teflon and a 'movement' quality.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #419 on: December 02, 2017, 05:24:23 PM »

No, more likely a mental ward.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #420 on: December 02, 2017, 07:07:06 PM »

Gallup, 12/1

Approve 33 (-1)
Disapprove 62 (+2)

Oh well, I just like him because he speaks his mind.  And because, e-mails.  And those pesky Muslims, like Barack HUSSEIN Obama, who was born in Kenya.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #421 on: December 02, 2017, 07:08:14 PM »

One of my colleagues, a die-hard Trump fan, is so confident in Trump's reelection that he offered to bet lunch on it for the day after the 2020 election.  (I accepted.)

That’s a remarkably milquetoast bet
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #422 on: December 02, 2017, 07:10:31 PM »

So when is the North Korean war coming to try and beef up those numbers?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #423 on: December 02, 2017, 08:07:55 PM »

That’s a remarkably milquetoast bet

Seriously lol. I'm pretty sure he knows Trump's chances aren't that good, otherwise he would've bet bigger.

Naw, it's just that neither of us is much of a gambler.  We had the same bet on Trump vs. Clinton, so this is my chance to get even. Wink
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #424 on: December 02, 2017, 08:24:30 PM »

Huh

He has a strong ability to do that among his own base, hence why so many Republicans who get on his bad side end up tanking in the polls. He didn't make Clinton unpopular. She made herself unpopular with terrible decisions as Secretary of State and beyond. All Trump did was seize on existing scandals that had already driven her favorables down bigly.

I do agree with the the last part, about the need for teflon and a 'movement' quality.

And I'm sure his 15 Republicans opponents all 'made themselves unpopular'? No. It was not just Hillary. Whenever he would go after someone in the GOP primaries, the person he went after came out worse for wear, even when the attacks were absurd and over the top. It's a talent of his.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies