Atlas Star:Presidential debate thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:45:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlas Star:Presidential debate thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlas Star:Presidential debate thread  (Read 946 times)
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2017, 09:08:48 PM »

Atlasia Presidential Debate
Welcome to the Atlasia Presidential debate between President fhtagn,Prime Minster/Rep Harry S Truman, Former President Lumine and Senator LLR.

This debate will consist of:

-24 hours for opening statements
-48 for questions
-24 hours for rebuttals
-24 hours for closing statements

I wish both candidates the best of luck!

Discussion Thread: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=274170.0
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 09:12:08 PM »

Opening Statements
I open the floor for 24 hours for opening statements.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 11:42:51 PM »
« Edited: October 04, 2017, 11:46:33 PM by Lumine »

Lumine Opening Statement:

Ladies and gentlemen, may all of you have a good day.

Let me just start by thanking Game Moderator 1184AZ for hosting this debate, I think Presidential Debates are a relevant part of the democratic excercise, and I look forward for promoting my ideas and beliefs before this audience.

There is two main things I wish to do on this opening statement.

First, properly introduce myself.

I am LumineVonReuental (coming to you from such an exotic place as Chile), Lumine for short, and I have been a player in Atlasia for five years, an officeholder for four. Beyond serving on several regional governments with a consistent push on activity and accomplishments, I was President of the Republic of Atlasia from November 2014 to March 2015 during a highly contentious period, having inherited the Presidency in the aftermath of a bloody and confusing Civil Conflict which once threatened to rip Atlasia apart. We overcame the challenges of that time by leading an active, efficient and yes, controversial administration, and we took some decisive steps to, for example, make foreign policy relevant again.

Some time has passed from that, and while having already been President does in no way entitle me to return for the White House, I come before you to seek a second non-consecutive term. I return to the most intense battleground of this game rested, invigorated and far more experienced, and in consecuence, confident that I could be a very efficient and active Commander-in-Chief at a time in which this nation requires a strong, bold and independent minded President on the White House.

Second, showcase briefly my vision for Atlasia.

What I see in our Republic on the present times paints a discouraging view, even with the efforts of some active officeholders and the excellent work of the Game Engine. We live in an area of strife on account of some godawful foreign policy decisions, of no less than three different Presidents as the White House changes leaders faster than you can count, of huge battles coming in the future to address the War in the Korea, the coming Budget, necessary Game Reform, and so on.

But what I also see, is a sense of complacency mixed with a lack of proper debate. Whether you call it "echo-chamber consensus" or "Nyman Consensus", what I see is two main parties which have grown so close in the past few months that the lines are often blurred, and rather than having reasonable consensus for a reason, we seem to be embroiled in times of consensus for the sake of it as disagreements remain few and the game inevitable stagnates.

Has the game been worse? Yes, much worse. Is the game in good shape? I'm not as convinced as some other are that it is. I think we need to address some necessary reform to invigorate the game and its institutions, I think Atlasia could use a move to the center-right in some issues to move away from echo-chamber consensus, and I think that as the most experienced candidate on this stage (and the only one to be elected and serve for a full term as President) I am the man to deliver.

So I look forward to this debate and to showcasing my position on the very important issues that we face today.

I realize you can't disagree much with a certain officeholder without the Presidential Hit Squad coming to attack and discredit you, but considering how much flak I've taken on my public life in Atlasia for speaking up my mind, I'm not about to keep quiet about what I believe in.

Thank you.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 06:00:51 PM »

Hello, citizens!

My name is Long Live Rock, but you can call me LLR. My platform is very simple

Step 1: Legal, mandatory weed for everyone
Step 2: A fully, directly democratic Atlasia led by workers' councils

We have a very simple 22-point plan, designed to return control of Atlasia truly to the people and make a fair Atlasia that works for everyone. Some call us radical, but we just want your life to be better. And if that's radical, then count me in.

I, myself, am sick of all this oppression by the bourgeoisie and the government. We want to shrink the government and give power back to the people. We're strong, strong feminists, too. And we oppose war! But most importantly, we want a nation that works for its citizens, no matter how vulnerable. Who's with me?
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 07:22:43 PM »

I thank you, Mr. Game Moderator, for hosting this debate; my friends and opponents, for your presence here; and all those at home, reading these words, who in eight short days will decide what course our republic will take in the next four months.

I have come here this evening, have placed my name before the Atlasian people, because we need proactive and progressive leadership in Nyman, and we need it now. For nearly a year, we have waited in vain for federal action on the issues closest to the plight of the common citizen: infrastructure, wages, and unemployment. We have watched our nation withdraw from the world stage only to be dragged back by the threat of terrible war — a war that none wanted, and none seem able to explain. Now, in this election, the time has come to take matters into our own hands and make a change.

My tenure as prime minister of the Commonwealth of Fremont has seen a renaissance of activity, development, and economic growth — even as our sister regions to the east have struggled against persistent malaise and rising unemployment. We have passed legislation to adopt a sustainable and local living wage; we have worked with (not against) the markets to encourage investment in renewable energy; we have retaken the reigns of public education with smaller class sizes, increased funding, and a reformed and relevant curriculum; we have built our nation's first high-speed rail network, creating new jobs and economic activity in the process; we have continued the battle for full equality for transgender citizens with a historic civil rights law; we have made law enforcement more transparent and doubled the number of public defenders. All this we did, not on party-line votes by strategically-placed zombies, but by an active and bipartisan program that has involved citizens of all backgrounds and ideologies in a region that only ten months ago had no government to speak of. Our unemployment rate is 2% lower than that of either Lincoln or the South and 1.5% lower than the national unemployment rate, despite the war raging across the Pacific that has disproportionately penalized the western states.

Friends and citizens, this is the kind of leadership we need in Nyman — this is the kind of leadership I pledge to bring to the next administration.

No doubt, in the coming days, you will be hearing quite a bit about me from less-than-reputable sources: about how I am a communist after your guns, or a fascist Nixonian chess master lusting for power, or a long-winded idiot who just won't shut up. I ask you, rather than be deceived by these falsehoods, to look to my record — nearly two years of consistent, honorable, and active service in national and regional office — and ask yourselves whether you do not deserve as much from a president.

I look forward to this opportunity for a true contest of ideas, and am honored to do battle against such worth opponents. This should be fun.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 08:08:22 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2017, 08:11:04 PM by President fhtagn »

Good evening friends and fellow Atlasians!

I want to start by thanking 1184AZ and the Atlas Star for hosting this debate! I also want to thank Harry S Truman, LLR, and Lumine for agreeing to this debate. I am proud to have this opportunity to remind the Atlasian citizens where I stand on the issues, show them the things we have accomplished together, and what our future holds if I am blessed with the opportunity to continue serving.

When I swore into office, Atlasia was left with a very large list of things that needed to get done, that simply put: wasn't getting done. On top of the massive laundry list of things we needed to work on at home, we were left to handle a foreign relations crisis, where our actions against North Korea resulted in a war that no one wanted, myself very much included. Since taking office, the things that should have been getting done are getting done. I have signed the Budget Process & Control Act, which for the first time since 2014, allows us to move forward in determining what our financial situation truly looks like, and gives us the opportunity to work towards balancing it. I have reinstated the Natonal Security Council, which allows me to have a team of advisers to assist with making the tough decisions that are necessary to ensure we are moving in the right direction when it comes to foreign policy. Using my newly reinstated NSC, we have finally presented the Foreign Relations Review to Congress, something that my predecessors have not been able to make progress on in quite some time. We have also worked tirelessly on necessary decision making and negotiations regarding the Korean War, threats to our security from terrorist groups like Free The People, and working towards further negotiations to deescalate the conflict in Eastern Europe between our friends in the Ukraine and Russia.

As your President, I plan to continue pushing for policies that will ultimately keep our people safe, and reduce our involvement in conflicts as much as possible. As always, I also plan to continue advocating for and working towards solutions that will also benefit our everyday, working Atlasians, and paving the way to bring Atlasia into the future with clean energy and energy-independent solutions that will protect our environment and set an example for the rest of the world to follow. And above all this, I will be working very closely with Congress to ensure that we are being fiscally responsible with our ideas. We cannot continue to push these amazing policies with no way to fund them, and I would not want any opportunities we have to keep Atlasia prosperous to fall short over such a simple concept.

We have two weeks left until the next leader of our great nation is chosen, and it is my hope that you all see the work I have done to fight for today's Atlasia, and that we can continue the progress that has been made since my time in office. We need a leader that truly puts the best interests of people first. This is something that has always been at the top of my list, and will be as long as I am given the opportunity to serve you.

I look forward to the exchange of ideas and friendly debate these next few days will offer. I hope that this provides you all with the necessary information to make an informed decision in the coming weeks, and I wish my opponents the best of luck throughout this process. It is truly an honor to be doing this with you all.

Thank you.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 08:14:05 PM »

Thank you to all the candidates for taking the time to submit their opening statements in a timely manner. I will post questions shortly.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 09:30:33 PM »

Questions
I open the floor for 48 to answer the below questions.

Moral Issues
1.Abortion is considered by some to be a particularly important and divisive issue; with all three regions taking different practices with regulating abortion. On the issue of Abortion do you in general consider yourself pro-life or pro-choice? Would you attempt to further regulate the process at the federal level this can be either through as an example a partial ban, waiting period, parental notification ect?

2. Drug policy has been a controversial issue and the subject to much debate over the last few months on the federal level. With that in mind do you feel the current legislation of recreational Marijuana as being a success or a failure? Would you support the decriminalization or legalization of harder drugs? Is their any other reforms you would pursue in respect to illegal substances?

3. The issue of gun control has recently become a major issue among many voters and politicians, with that do you support an assault rifle ban? Mandatory back ground checks? Gun registry? Are their any other. major gun control proposals you would support? 

Economic Policy
4. Do you support the recent attempt to repeal of the Taft Hartley act? What role should unions play in Atlasia? 

5. Some Atlasians have complained about Atlasias current welfare system and the amount of other benefits 
granted to Atlasia. What major changes if any would you make to reforming welfare? Would a universal basic income be something that you support experimenting with? If so what type of setup would you select?

6. What actions would you take to balancing the budget while respecting both affordability, access to essential social programs and economic development?

7. As President do you support continued development of coal to overseas countries? Would you support a carbon tax to encourage green energy development?

Foreign policy
8. What role should human rights play in deciding which countries we do business with? Is it appropriate for Atlasia to try and dictate other countries domestic policy even when it doesn't directly effect Atlasia? To what degree?

9. What actions would you take to attempt to cool the Russian-Ukraine Crisis? Do you support Russia's claim to Crimea?

10. What actions as President would you take to ending the Korean War with an Atlasia victory and the least amount of damage to Atlasia either militarily and diplomatically?

Game reform
11. What steps if any would you take to increasing game activity?

12. Are their any changes you would wish to make to the fourth constitution?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 06:31:08 PM »

1. Abortion is considered by some to be a particularly important and divisive issue; with all three regions taking different practices with regulating abortion. On the issue of Abortion do you in general consider yourself pro-life or pro-choice? Would you attempt to further regulate the process at the federal level this can be either through as an example a partial ban, waiting period, parental notification ect?
You must be logged in to read this quote.

2. Drug policy has been a controversial issue and the subject to much debate over the last few months on the federal level. With that in mind do you feel the current legislation of recreational Marijuana as being a success or a failure? Would you support the decriminalization or legalization of harder drugs? Is their any other reforms you would pursue in respect to illegal substances?

3. The issue of gun control has recently become a major issue among many voters and politicians, with that do you support an assault rifle ban? Mandatory back ground checks? Gun registry? Are their any other major gun control proposals you would support?

4. Do you support the recent attempt to repeal of the Taft Hartley Act? What role should unions play in Atlasia?

5. Some Atlasians have complained about Atlasias current welfare system and the amount of other benefits granted to Atlasia. What major changes if any would you make to reforming welfare? Would a universal basic income be something that you support experimenting with? If so what type of setup would you select?

6. What actions would you take to balancing the budget while respecting both affordability, access to essential social programs and economic development?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 07:23:42 PM »

7. As President do you support continued development of coal to overseas countries? Would you support a carbon tax to encourage green energy development?

8. What role should human rights play in deciding which countries we do business with? Is it appropriate for Atlasia to try and dictate other countries domestic policy even when it doesn't directly effect Atlasia? To what degree?

9. What actions would you take to attempt to cool the Russian-Ukraine Crisis? Do you support Russia's claim to Crimea?

10. What actions as President would you take to ending the Korean War with an Atlasia victory and the least amount of damage to Atlasia either militarily and diplomatically?

12. Are their any changes you would wish to make to the Fourth Constitution?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 02:11:24 AM »

1. Abortion is considered by some to be a particularly important and divisive issue; with all three regions taking different practices with regulating abortion. On the issue of Abortion do you in general consider yourself pro-life or pro-choice? Would you attempt to further regulate the process at the federal level this can be either through as an example a partial ban, waiting period, parental notification ect?

Overall, I consider myself to be pro-choice, however that does not come without limits. I've mentioned many times that after doing my own personal research and reflecting on my own feelings on the issue, I cannot in good conscience support late term abortions, and have publicly come out in support of a 20 week ban in the regions (with some exceptions such as protecting the life of the mother). As far as regulations at the federal level, it's not something I plan to push for, as I feel that this should ultimately be left to the regions. But that being said, I have advocated for, and will continue to advocate for the regions to set such limits, and generally would not support pushing them back to later stages in the pregnancy, or removing restrictions completely.

Personally, I very much support the decriminalization of just about all drugs, and would rather focus on dealing with things like addiction as a mental illness rather than a crime. Another issue with the criminalization of most of these drugs is that is does very little to actually stop the drugs from being distrubuted on the streets, gives more power to organized crime and corrupt practices, and has proven to produce very unequal outcomes in real life, particularly towards people of color. I also realize that some of these drugs can still have some beneficial use under proper supervision (example: there is legislation that has been proposed in the South for the use of medical cocaine, something I am very much in support of). I am also very much a supporter of legalizing the recreational use of marijuana, so I certainly view current legislation on the issue to be a success and a step in the right direction.

3. The issue of gun control has recently become a major issue among many voters and politicians, with that do you support an assault rifle ban? Mandatory back ground checks? Gun registry? Are their any other. major gun control proposals you would support? 

There was actually a pretty recent discussion about this that I had with Truman, and something I am glad to see has come up. As far as gun control proposals, I have just about always been a supporter of mandatory background checks. I also have no issues with waiting periods, and would even be willing to discuss things like regulations on bump stocks. I do not support an assault weapons ban and any restrictions on how much ammunition one is allowed to possess/purchase; and I absolutely will not support any other measures that are a breach of both privacy of gun owners and their constitutional rights. I absolutely will not support any measures that include provisions such as a gun registry, banning people on the no fly list from owning/purchasing a firearm without due process, or banning nonviolent criminals from owning/purchasing a firearm.

4. Do you support the recent attempt to repeal of the Taft Hartley act? What role should unions play in Atlasia?

In a nutshell: I do not support the recent attempt to repeal the Taft Hartley Act. I feel that some of the main concerns I've seen with Taft Hartley have already been addressed with a bill I had recently signed (The POWER Act), such as unions having a say in whether or not they represent non-union members and protecting employees who organize/join unions from workplace retaliation. I personally have no issues with unions, and do realize that there are benefits to joining a labor union, and the work that has been done historically in the name of workers' rights. That being said, I do believe that there should be limitations to the power of unions, and that union membership should be completely voluntary.

5. Some Atlasians have complained about Atlasias current welfare system and the amount of other benefits 
granted to Atlasia. What major changes if any would you make to reforming welfare? Would a universal basic income be something that you support experimenting with? If so what type of setup would you select?

As far as welfare reforms, I personally would like to see more efforts geared towards those with the actual need for these programs to get what they need (as we should obviously care for those who are truly unable to work and are in need of assistance), while encouraging efforts towards getting those who can work prepped to reenter the workplace. I have no issues with making sure that our people aren't left in the cold in times of need, but our welfare system should be designed to be something that is temporary for most citizens, and designed to help them get back on their feet and contributing again. One of the main reasons I found myself no longer being a member of the far left ideologically is that I feel that providing everything that is needed by the government goes against the Atlasian dream: where you can work hard to earn a fulfilling life. This is one of the reasons that I do not support a universal basic income, nor do I see myself ever supporting.  I would rather see Atlasia in support of programs such as ones that bring back jobs (especially in manufacturing, given new trade deals made with China, for example) and incentives for those to enter fields that are in desperate need of workers, such as providing job training, expansions to education reform, and more resources available to help people find open positions in these fields.

I've made mention many times that I am very much in support of many social programs that have been introduced by both sides. I am very much a person who cares about the well-being of our people, and would love nothing more than to make sure our people are prospering. But one issue that I have noticed with many proposals being made in Congress is that these bills are often presented and passed without any consideration for how they will be funded. While the Budget Process Committee and I take a look at where we stand financially, it's becoming increasingly more clear that we will be looking at a very large deficit, which is something that will desperately need to be addressed. I've come out expressing those concerns when discussing legislation such as the Carbon Tax Act, which would be an amazing opportunity to fund an existing program that offers incentives for investing in renewables, but is instead being written to not fund anything. This is something I feel that is a wasted opportunity, and something I have expressed will be the downfall of amazing programs that we have already passed or will be proposing, because they will not be sustainable. This is also why I very much support my party's slate for the upcoming House elections, as they are currently campaigning on introducing and passing an amendment that requires all bills to be funded, and will be doing my best to ensure that this gets implemented, no matter who ends up in office.

While I have some issues with the current Carbon Tax Act (as explained in the previous question), I actually do support a carbon tax, and feel that it is a step in the right direction towards holding ourselves accountable for our carbon dioxide emissions. I've also supported (and sponsored) legislation geared towards investing in clean energy and encouraging private citizens to do the same (for example, the clean energy bill in the South, which paved the way towards nuclear energy in the region; and the Renewable Energy Rebate and Subsidy Act when I was in the House, and later signed as President). As far as coal and other areas of the fossil fuel industry, I believe this is something that we should work towards scaling back on. Because I understand that this puts workers in these fields in a rough situation, I am very much in support of working towards assistance in job training and education to ensure that they are still able to work as we transition to cleaner energy sources (as I had touched up on in question #5).
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 02:17:50 AM »

While I generally don't think we should stick around and police other nations and determine how they run things, I do feel that in order for us to work closely with them, we cannot in good conscience turn a blind eye to blatant human rights violations. And while I don't necessarily support the use of military action in response to this, I do support providing aid for those who are suffering, and putting pressure on those whom we do business with to make efforts towards treating their people better, as it will eventually become something other nations, not just us, will have to handle down the line.

Since taking the oath of office, I have been working tirelessly with my NSC and SoS Snowguy to come up with peaceful (or as close to peaceful as we can get) solutions to numerous situations that have been escalating prior to my taking on this role, some of which include the tensions between Russia-Ukraine. In fact, while this debate has been going on, I have been working on negotiations with both nations to come up with proposals for a deal that we can all agree upon, and avoids another massive war that no one on any side wants. As far as the situation with Crimea, I have been working with both nations on a compromise that allows for another referendum, and if this agreement is put in place, I fully plan to support whatever the outcome of that decision is.

To reference my answer to the above question, this is another situation, in fact the biggest situation, that has taken up chunks of my time since taking the oath of office. While we can all agree that the deals made with China and Russia aren't the best deals, they were the best we were given after long and intense negotiations, and truly the options that end with the least amount of Atlasian lives lost. My goal with this deal is to get this war overwith as swiftly as possible, and I have no intention of forcing our values on North Korea and making this a venture that keeps us involved in the region for decades to come. I also have every intention to ensure that China, and likely soon to be North Korea, holds up their ends of deals being made to ensure that we do not have to handle more situations like this in the future.

Before even getting into what can be done as President, I truly feel that in order to really see any results as far as increased game activity, the most important parts should fall on the parties and the voters. We need to be sure that we are recruiting people for more than just the purpose of creating zombie voters. We need to make sure we aren't using those same zombie voters to fill positions until someone more active comes along, and we need to make sure that the voters are truly informed about the activity level of the candidates they are electing, especially if the person running has a known record of being inactive.

Now, as President, and really anyone in an elected position in-game, we need to be sure that we are not only leading by example, but that we are holding each other accountable when someone is falling short.

I am also in support of most pieces of legislation that encourages more activity in the regions, and gives them more decision making power, rather than relying on a centralized government for everything. An example of this would the the Reforming and Regionalizing Public Healthcare Act (a bill that I actually co-sponsored while in the House), and I look forward to seeing the debate on this issue when the new regional officeholders have been elected in a couple weeks.

12. Are their any changes you would wish to make to the fourth constitution?

As far as changes for the Fourth Constitution, I have publicly agreed to reducing the size of the House of Representatives to 7 members, and I certainly hope to see this introduced at some point while I am in office. While I don't necessarily see it as a magic fix to bringing more activity into the game, it does help with ensuring that we aren't moving all of the talent from the regions when it is desperately needed, and still maintaining the type of structure we are used to in the Federal government.

I also wouldn't mind (to tie back to my answer on another previous question) future amendments proposed to further clarify rights guaranteed to the people in relation to issues such as gun ownership, for example Wink
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 05:22:41 PM »

I fall on the Pro-Life side of the equation, a belief that I’ve held ever since I joined Atlasia. Out of pragmatic reasons I do personally support abortion if the mother’s life is endangered and in cases of incest or rape within a certain time-span, but that is about as a far as I would personally go. Having said that, I do believe abortion is an issue best resolved and handled at the regional and not the federal level. What I would do if elected President is to pursue measures to reduce abortions on a rational, pragmatic levels, such as making adoptions easier and ensuring we have more follow-up programs for families who can’t take care of their children.

As to the question, I think it has been a success, both in terms of public impact and in generating needed revenue for the federal government. But I am not a fan of drugs, and I would absolutely not support decriminalizing harder drugs given the damage they create not only to individuals, but whole communities. Indeed, I’ve often held the nation-wide approach to drugs has been a bit irresponsible (I would struggle to say there was a “War on Drugs” pre-reset). I very much would like to impulse rehabilitation programs so victims can move ahead and overcome addiction, but I plan to take a tough approach towards drug-dealers and hard drugs.

I’ll be frank, being from Chile I must confess gun rights have never impacted me as much as most people in Atlasia, given the unique situation of our nation regarding the rest of the world. I don’t see gun control as a “right” or “left” issue, I would argue it is more related to common sense than ideology. So I recognize the constitutional right of our citizens regarding guns, but I believe sensible measures that include background checks and further efforts on mental health are more than necessary. We also need to start educating families regarding gun safety, it is unacceptable to see so many lives lost to accidents that could be easily prevented with some degree of care.

I do not. Unions have an important and necessary role to play in our economy and our society, but there are limits that must be established to prevent abuse and some issues that can easily arise with unions that grow far too powerful and more beholden to the interests of a few than the interests of the workers themselves. There are also some jobs all to relevant to national security or health whose strikes could prove rather harmful if we were excessively careless.

A universal basic income is clearly a step on the wrong direction, far from empowering the individual against the state it does the opposite, an all too dangerous trend that fails to solve the overreaching issues, places an extra burden on the budget and just doesn’t seem sustainable to me, much less justifiable if we’re aiming for a principle such as fiscal responsibility. I would suggest welfare ought to be reformed on its mindset itself: what matters isn’t how many people we can get to enter these programs, but how many people stop needing them. At the present tend, I’m afraid the direction is the opposite of empowering individuals to stand up for themselves.

Well, it is clear to me that a simple “place-holder” budget or one that focuses on further spending increases across the board simply will not do. What Atlasia requires right now is a strong dose of fiscal responsibility, and as President I would take a strong stance towards a budget that is committed to radical debt reduction, decreasing spending and directly aid our citizens and small business through necessary tax cuts. So I would support strong cuts against waste on every government department and a freeze of some crucial areas of the budget, only increasing spending on the military to account for new foreign policy challenges and, of course, the space program.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 05:23:23 PM »

I believe it is time to take stronger measures in favor of our environment, but that shouldn’t mean that we’re abandoning thousands of Atlasians to unemployment and poverty while we punish countless more through taxation to achieve that. I would suggest a gradual but certain reduction of such sources of energy in favor of renewable ones, while at the same time making sure those working in the energy sector receive the necessary support and education to find new jobs, jobs that are better than then ones they left. I cannot be convinced it is for the best for, for example, coal miners to destroy their health over generations when we can find different solutions.

Evidently Atlasia’s role in the world is not to dictate how every nation should live and intervene on every matter, small as it might be, that emerges on the world stage. But it should be remembered that intervening at the right time in the proper way can save us a lot of trouble down the road. If we had handled some situations in Africa earlier and more decisively, thousands if not millions of lives could have been saved. If we had handled some situations in the Middle East in a more measured way, I don’t have to tell you the world would look much more different right now, and I would suggest for the better. Human rights is one of the guiding principles to keep in mind, but it is not the only one nor does it rule (or should rule) our foreign policy. It is far better to consider each case by its own merits than apply a general rule that is bound to generate more problems than it actually solves.

Evidently I do not support Russia’s claim to Crimea, and it worries me that through a terrible deal Russia is left immensely strengthened as sanctions are removed and their aggressive intentions remain, all while Ukraine is left behind and feeling, quite rightfully, betrayed. I do not believe in further appeasement of Russia, and further undermining of Ukraine should be responded forcefully with the return of effective sanctions. We need to make it clear that nations under potential threat such as Poland, Ukraine and the Baltic States will count on our support, and that Russia will never be allowed to pull this stunt twice. As to the President’s proposal, forgive me by not being convinced that a fair referendum could ever be held in Crimea under the Russian government, particularly given the way they’ve run their own domestic election.

Evidently it is not the more responsible thing to do to discuss tactics openly on a debate as well, but I believe overwhelming force can be used effectively to bring the North Korean regime to complete and total defeat. Passivity will not help us as we continue to take losses and see further losses as in Guam, and while we are bound by again, another godawful deal that forces up to capitulate before China, we should fight with the all the means we have within that agreement to secure a rapid end to this war and not a never-ending quagmire.

Let this war serve as a lesson to us all. We cannot continue to ignore the rest of the world and fail to take action when it necessary to do so, and we cannot run our foreign policy through violent improvisation or an inability to stand for our beliefs and our standing. I can only hope that the blunders of the past few months will not be repeated in the future, and as President I intend to lead on an active, effective foreign policy that makes sure to address this issues with the energy and leadership they deserve.

We require both significant changes in the way the game is played as well as the Constitution (more on this on the next question), as well as showing the merits of leading as an active officeholder. As President I was consistently active on the media front and from the White House through the so called “bully pulpit”, a form of leading by example (as Truman says) that can be effective in inspiring others to be more active as well. We also need to pursue the reduction of offices in Nyman to allow for more talent to remain or prefer the regions, which is one of the reasons why I promote a return to unicameralism despite the fear-mongering of some as if this was some sort of back door to socialism. 

Several. I’ve already suggested returning to a single chamber of Congress, and my running mate Rpryor has already outlined our overall intentions to reform the Constitution through a Commission on the Constitution that will look into the electoral system, Congress, officeholding laws, registration, the cabinet, the Presidency and even the Game Engine. If there’s something which bothers me is how some pretend things are alright in Atlasia and we do not need some significant constitution change to improve the game and the way its played. I strongly disagree with the notion that the current Constitution should remain as it stands (much as it is an improvement over the past one), and I will fight for constitutional reform as a key area of a future Lumine Administration.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 08:39:20 AM »

(Apologies for the late response Sad )

I, personally, am very pro-choice. Why is it the job of government to regulate things like this? It should be a personal choice by a woman, and government has no place in personal lives like this. We understand this is a very emotional decision, and it should be available for whoever needs it.

I think the legalization of marijuana has not gone far enough. I can't tell you how many times I am walking down the street and I see people smoking regular cigarettes. No, we must have mandatory marijuana usage by all citizens. Because, as I always say, when you're that high, anything is possible. We don't anticipate legalizing harder drugs, but who's got time for that when you've got all the weed in the world?

We propose that all citizens shall be universally armed, so they can defend their rights and their labor. In our opinion, gun control attempts are futile. The people should be able to use arms if they so choose, and we want to make it easy for them to do so.

Taft-Hartley is one of the worst things that ever happened to Atlasia. Unions are the most important societal structure in a functioning republic. We will restore all power to the worker and banish the bourgeois. Capitalism has failed the proletariat, and giving a lot of power to unions is the way to fix this.

Basic income sounds great! But, ideally, in our worker-controlled society, everyone will have enough benefits from the system that government intervention won't be necessary. Besides, without bourgeois pushback, it will be much easier to get this kind of thing passed. But extreme redistribution, not just through taxes and programs, but through basic income, is certainly in our ideas.

With taxed weed sales through the roof, the government will be swimming in money, and we can add some great new social programs for the oppressed proletariat.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 08:42:44 AM »

Our plan to nationalize the energy sector is well-documented in our campaign thread, and we believe that will help solve climate change more than any pesky carbon tax ever will. We'll create jobs, switch to green energy, and take power away from the bourgeois! If that isn't a win-win-win, I don't know what is.

Atlasia has too many foreign entanglements. As president, I will cut back on Atlasia's world presence and promise to get us involved in fewer wars. We have no place in other countries' policy, and our military presence is much, much too large. We've gotta focus on successfully implementing the revolution, here. We can't worry about other countries.

I think if Putin and I sit down with some of the finest marijuana and some of Wells' brownies, we can get some stuff done in regards to Crimea...

I must admit, I've been a little distracted planning for the revolution and haven't had much time to read up about Korea. But i am of the belief that war is always wrong, and I will consider my options and hopefully reach a diplomatic solution with North Korea.

Our plan, of course, is to completely abolish the government and replace it with "workers' councils", an example of direct democracy. This will get everyone involved in government, hopefully, and increase activity. If nothing else, it will cut down on all the bureaucratic, bicameral nonsense that keeps real bills from being passed. And it will ensure everyone has a voice.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 03:04:10 PM »

Rebuttal
Thanks for all the candidates for submitting their responses to the debate questions. I now open the floor for 24 hours for a rebuttals from the candidates.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 03:43:48 PM »

Closing Statements
I will open the floor for 24 hours for closing statements.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 01:48:17 PM »

Lumine Closing Statement:

Well, first of all, I wish to thank again the Game Moderator and the other candidates for taking part on this debate. I hope this has been an informative debate for the Atlasian public, that the views of each candidate have become clearer, and that you find the current selection one that encourages you to vote for an candidate, not against one.

I'll be brief, because as you know I have a tendency to write too much.

My friends, we stand an at important moment for our Republic. It may not look like it at a first glance, but we stand in a context in which we must decide what type of country we want, how we want to get there, whether we should change, what we should change, and so on.

I don't believe all is well in Atlasia. I don't believe things are working as they should.

I believe we're stuck in a cycle of echo-chamber consensus in which two main parties have grown too close to the detriment of public debate on many aspects. I believe we face activity issues, which are related to the current number of offices and how government works. That is not say debate has died, or activity is unsustainable. But for me it is undeniable Atlasia is in need of some straight-talking reform, from an independent minded President and an independent minded government.

That is why I invite you to cast your ballot for me and Rpryor, for two statesmen not afraid to speak their minds and say what they believe no matter the abuse, no matter the attacks.

My friends, let us seize the moment! Let us change Atlasia for the better!
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 02:29:04 PM »

I would like to once again thank 1184AZ and the Atlas Star for hosting this debate, and Harry S Truman, LLR, and Lumine for agreeing to this debate. I also would like to thank all those who have tuned in, provided questions, and commented on the commentary thread. It is always wonderful knowing that there are those out where who are paying attention.

To my friends and fellow Atlasians: we have already accomplished great things together in my short time in office. We have ended the war in North Korea. We have cooled tensions building up between Russia and the Ukraine. We have gained new allies and paved the way for new economic opportunities with China. We are making progress towards investing in clean energy, holding ourselves accountable for damage to the environment, and committing to keeping our nation clean and beautiful. We are becoming more mindful of our spending, and working on a budget for the first time in several years. We are becoming more mindful of our relations with other nations by hammering out the Foreign Relations Review and passing the Avoidance of Conflicts of Interest Act. And it does not have to end there.

We've proven that the "echo-chamber consensus" is no longer an issue. We are actively engaging in discussion, finding compromises for the things we are disagreeing on (some fine examples of this would be The POWER Act and The Carbon Tax Act). We are seeing people new and old become involved again, running for positions, pushing for and against issues that matter most to them. This does not mean we are without any problems, but we are taking steps in the right direction.

My trusted running mate and friend, PiT and I have been here and proved that we are fighting for today's Atlasia, and working towards making this game better. But the fight doesn't end here. The future is bright for us. Do not let false "doom and gloom" narratives scare you from what you feel is right. Next weekend, choose the ticket that has helped get us to where we are right now, and will get us to where we want to be.

Thank you all.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 03:04:07 PM »

I am incredibly grateful for the opportunity to be a part of this debate; and so I offer my sincere thanks to my fellow candidates, and to the good Game Moderator, for making this dialogue possible. The answers we have heard these last few days, the visions for the future that have here been aired, paint a very clear portrait of the choice before the nation, and I can ask for no more than that.

I am in this race because I believe this choice matters — and it is a choice we make, not in a month, or in a year, but now. The times demand more than mere activity; they require nothing more or less than direct, concerted, and determined action to achieve all that is possible, but not inevitable. We must rebuild our infrastructure, pass the local living wage, address the challenge of gun violence, restore the common market with Canada, throttle the deficit, and build an economy that is both free and fair to all people. This I may honestly say I will do, because I have done it before; in two years' faithful service to my country, I have never once broken a promise I made to the people, and I would sooner forfeit what little shred of power and privilege I possess than break my word now.

To quote from Eliot:

"And so each venture
Is a new beginning, a raid on the inarticulate,
With shabby equipment always deteriorating
In the general mess of imprecision of feeling,
Undisciplined squads of emotion. And what there is to conquer
By strength and submission, has already been discovered
Once or twice, or several times, by men whom one cannot hope
To emulate —but there is no competition—
There is only the fight to recover what has been lost
And found and lost again and again: and now, under conditions
That seem unpropitious. But perhaps neither gain nor loss.
For us, there is only the trying. The rest is not our business."
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 03:27:27 PM »

I would like to thank 1184AZ for hosting this debate and giving lesser candidates a chance to have our voices heard. I want to thank my opponents for caring about this nation. I hope you consider my plans and realize the plague that is capitalism is ruining our society. There have been many visions presented for you today, but our vision is the one that will work for everyone. A vote for LLR/Wells is a vote for a bright future for Atlasia, free of greed and inefficiency. I hope you, voter, look at the many sides from this debate and recognize ours as the best.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 07:10:42 PM »

I would like to take the time to thank all the candidates for taking the time to participate in this debate and wish everyone the best of luck in next weekends election.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies