How much do you know about Frankfurt
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:34:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  How much do you know about Frankfurt
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How much do you know about Frankfurt  (Read 4267 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2005, 08:02:19 AM »

Ausfahrt. und Kartoffeln. The Ausfahrt one is ancient, but pretty good. It does exist for a no of countries, too, and this sort of thing actually does seem to happen sometimes.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2005, 08:05:27 AM »

Ausfahrt. und Kartoffeln. The Ausfahrt one is ancient, but pretty good. It does exist for a no of countries, too, and this sort of thing actually does seem to happen sometimes.
It's a classic and my dad used it all the time when we were kids. That and omleitung (as you can see my German spelling is horrible). By the way, none of the country names are invented. At some point all these places where independent exept Shalke04 Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2005, 08:06:55 AM »

Niederoberlausitz? Klein-Sonderhausen? I doubt those. Tongue But yeah, in general, you're right. And I did notice that. Smiley
Jens
Angola

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2005, 08:23:44 AM »

Niederoberlausitz? Klein-Sonderhausen? I doubt those. Tongue But yeah, in general, you're right. And I did notice that. Smiley
Ok Klein-Sonderhausen, no but Sonderhausen was one of the two Schwarzburgian countries. Schwarzburg-Rudolfstadt and Schwarzburg-Sonderhausen in Thuringia of couse. Nieder- and Oberlausitz was sold to Saxony by the Habsburgs during the 30-years war (1623/1648)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2005, 08:35:34 AM »

Ok Klein-Sonderhausen, no but Sonderhausen was one of the two Schwarzburgian countries. Schwarzburg-Rudolfstadt and Schwarzburg-Sonderhausen in Thuringia of couse. Nieder- and Oberlausitz was sold to Saxony by the Habsburgs during the 30-years war (1623/1648)
I know. Smiley
Jens
Angola

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2005, 08:48:03 AM »

I know. Smiley
Unlike the majority of your countrymen. Finding your way around the Thuringian states are not a easy task. But some areas are even stranger. Even heard of Graftum Königseck?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2005, 09:03:01 AM »

No. (And to be fair, I wouldn't have been able to date just when the Lausitz seized to be a Czech dependency and became Saxon.)
Jens
Angola

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2005, 09:33:29 AM »
« Edited: August 25, 2005, 09:37:05 AM by Jens »

No. (And to be fair, I wouldn't have been able to date just when the Lausitz seized to be a Czech dependency and became Saxon.)
But to be fair you knew that Lausitz (Lusatia in English) was Czech or to be precise under Duchy of Silesia, a part of Habsburg lands first aquired by the Luxemburgs rulers of Bohemia

Graftum Königseck is a part of Württemberg near Ravensburg
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2005, 09:41:24 AM »

But to be fair you knew that Lausitz (Lusatia in English) was Czech or to be precise under Duchy of Silesia, a part of Habsburg lands first aquired by the Luxemburgs rulers of Bohemia
Silesia too was also Bohemian. (I would have thought the last Przemyslids conquered the area from Poland, though, not the Luxemburgs).
Jens
Angola

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2005, 09:57:03 AM »

Silesia too was also Bohemian. (I would have thought the last Przemyslids conquered the area from Poland, though, not the Luxemburgs).
Silesia was divided into many smaller states after it gained independence from Poland. Poland basically disolved between 1100 and 1200. Ottokar helt some influence in the area, but it was first the Luxemburgs and later the Habsburgs that inheritted/bought/counquered the Silesian lands. All the way up in the 17th century were parts of Silesia semi-independent
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2005, 09:59:22 AM »

Silesia was divided into many smaller states after it gained independence from Poland. Poland basically disolved between 1100 and 1200.
I know. Smiley
You must be logged in to read this quote.
18th. They were even ruled by descendants, male line, of the old Polish dynasty, the Piasts.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2005, 10:26:19 AM »

I'll go solve these now.

2. How many inhabitants does the city have (roughly)?
About 630K. Really guys, this should have been easyish.
4. Which two rivers flow through it?
The other one's called the Nidda. Joins the Main at Höchst (neighborhood in W Frankfurt)
7. What was the original intended purpose of the HR building, now used by the state broadcasting company?
It was built to house a prospective German parliament. The Bizone, later Trizone, administration of 1947-9 (the nucleus of the FRG's government) was in Frankfurt, after all, and the city were pretty sure they'd be the capital. The "parliamentary council" that drafted the constitution in early 49 was in Bonn, though, and early on the first Bundestag decided by a very close vote that Bonn and not Frankfurt should be the capital. (When they were deciding about whether or not to move to Berlin in the early 90s, there actually was a motion to move to Frankfurt instead, but it only got a handful of votes.)
8. Give an explanation for the weird shape of Frankfurt am Main II Bundestag constituency.
I'll have to get me some good graphic to explain that. Smiley Wait a sec...
9. What were the 3 previous uses of the areal (and in the latter 2 cases main building) of Frankfurt uni's Westend campus?
From the 1880s to the 1920s, the areal, then known as the Affenstein, held a large lunatic asylum. It was here that Alois Alzheimer first diagnosed the disease now known by his name.
The current building, designed by architect Hans Poelzig in the 1920s, first served as the corporate headquarters of I.G. Farben (and is still often referred to as the I.G. Farben building). It was confiscated by US troops in 45 and turned into their German headquarters, as which it served right into the early 90s. Now it's been given to the Uni.
10. Who is the first attested Native of Frankfurt, and on what day was he born?
Charles the Bald, youngest grandson of Charlemagne, who could well be the called the first king of France. (And he held the title of emperor during the last...oh, two or so...years of his life.) Born here, june 13th, 823 AD. June 13th is also my father's birthday. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2005, 10:55:26 AM »

8. Give an explanation for the weird shape of Frankfurt am Main II Bundestag constituency.
Why darn it darn it darn it. Sad How come every map that shows anything about the matter is in a pdf format. I should probably do a screenshot or something, but I don't know how to.
Anyways here's a link to an excellent map.
http://www.frankfurt.de/sixcms/media.php/1977/22_Btw2005_wk184.pdf
(This is waay more detailed than I would have demanded for a "correct" answer, needless to say.)
Okay first off, admire the weird shape of the district. Then, come back to reality. Much of the district's boundaries are defined simply by the fact that they're the city's boundaries. The SW appendix is the airport. Much of the two NE appendices is not all that densely populated, or is in fact farmland.
Ignore these, the district is still sort of inverted L-shaped. _| - shaped, I guess I should say. Smiley That's because it was made up, in 2000, out of three of the city's six State House districts. One of them included all of the city to the South of the river. That's the _ - part (of which the river is the N boundary, as can be seen on the map.)
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2005, 04:33:18 PM »

3) I must be Hessen. Rhur area was part of Prussia but Frankfurt was not.
No. Wrong. Meditate on OldEurope's hint, and the scales should fall from your eyes. Smiley
Right now I'm watching a map about early 19th century Germany. It doesn't show clearly which state Frankfurt belonged. The map shows at least three possibly choices depending how you define "a state". I'm not posting any answer, because I'm not here for cheating. Smiley

Please do. I wouldn't consider it cheating. (Plus, something tells me you'll get it wrong...something about your post, that is. Smiley )
Damn. I have problem. The map is Finnish and I don't know which is the right translation of the name of the state. So I create my own name here: Union (or Alliance) of North Germany? (Google gave me nothing reasonable when I wrote those names)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2005, 09:05:29 AM »

Damn. I have problem. The map is Finnish and I don't know which is the right translation of the name of the state. So I create my own name here: Union (or Alliance) of North Germany? (Google gave me nothing reasonable when I wrote those names)

Do you mean the North German Confederation (Norddeutscher Bund in German)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_German_Confederation
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2005, 10:00:15 AM »

That only existed from 1867 to 1871 (when it was, effectively, enlarged and renamed Deutsches Reich).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2005, 05:26:56 AM »

Why darn it darn it darn it. Sad How come every map that shows anything about the matter is in a pdf format. I should probably do a screenshot or something, but I don't know how to.
Anyways here's a link to an excellent map.
http://www.frankfurt.de/sixcms/media.php/1977/22_Btw2005_wk184.pdf
(This is waay more detailed than I would have demanded for a "correct" answer, needless to say.)
Okay first off, admire the weird shape of the district. Then, come back to reality. Much of the district's boundaries are defined simply by the fact that they're the city's boundaries. The SW appendix is the airport. Much of the two NE appendices is not all that densely populated, or is in fact farmland.
Ignore these, the district is still sort of inverted L-shaped. _| - shaped, I guess I should say. Smiley That's because it was made up, in 2000, out of three of the city's six State House districts. One of them included all of the city to the South of the river. That's the _ - part (of which the river is the N boundary, as can be seen on the map.)
Found a map. Smiley

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2005, 07:54:30 PM »

Hey, Trondheim, does every German city have this sort of thing?

http://frankfurt.usa-sexguide.com/
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2005, 04:47:57 AM »

No, not every one. Not even all the big cities (even though prostitution is legal). But Hamburg's is much larger than Frankfurt's.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies