How Did Division I-A College Football Cities Vote in 2016? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:55:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  How Did Division I-A College Football Cities Vote in 2016? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How Did Division I-A College Football Cities Vote in 2016?  (Read 21755 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: September 26, 2017, 10:24:00 PM »

Big Ten East:

University of Michigan- Ann Arbor [83.2%-11.8% HRC]
Penn State- College Station [(actually State College) 65.2%-27.8% HRC]
Michigan State: East Lansing [71.4%-22.4% HRC]
Rutgers- Piscataway [71.3%-24.6% HRC]

Big Ten West:

Minnesota- Minneapolis [79.8%-11.75% HRC]
Wisconsin- Madison [78.4%-15.0% HRC]
Illinois- Urbana [49.8%-43.6% HRC] -Champaign [66.0%-24.7% HRC]
Northwestern- Evanston, IL [87.3%-7.2% HRC]

American Athletic Conference East:

Temple- Philly [82.3%-15.3% HRC]

American Athletic Conference West:

Tulane- New Orleans [80.8%-14.65% HRC]

ACC- Atlantic

Syracuse- Syracuse, NY [74.9%- 20.1% HRC]

ACC-Coastal

Pittsburgh- Pittsburgh [74.8% - 20.6% HRC]

Conf USA- East

Florida Intl-  Huh? [main campus in University Park]

Mid-American East

Buffalo- SUNY Buffalo- Buffalo, NY [77.8%-18.2% HRC]

Mid-American West

Northern Illinois- Northern Illinois University- DeKalb, IL [61.0%-29.2% HRC]
Western Michigan- Western Michigan University- Kalamazoo, MI [71.7%-21.5% HRC]
Eastern Michigan- Eastern Michigan University- Ypsilanti, MI [80.9%-12.5% HRC]
Central Michigan- Central Michigan University- Mount Pleasant, MI [58.75%-33.0% HRC]
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 10:27:05 PM »

A bit of a tangent, but the only states where the flagship university was in a city/town that possibly voted for Trump were:

ND - U of North Dakota - Grand Forks
AK - U of Alaska-Fairbanks - Fairbanks
OK - Oklahoma U - Norman
AR - U of Arkansas - Fayetteville
MS - U of Mississippi AKA Ole Miss - Oxford
AL - U of Alabama - Tuscaloosa
WV - West Virginia U - Morgantown
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 09:26:10 PM »

A bit of a tangent, but the only states where the flagship university was in a city/town that possibly voted for Trump were:

OK - Oklahoma U - Norman

OK - Oklahoma U - Norman

Your guess was a bit off with the University of Arkansas....

I wasn't claiming Arkansas (and the others) were in towns that voted for Trump, just that the above list was of universities that had a possibility of that. It would be good to have the results of U of North Dakota (Grand Forks) and U of Alaska-Fairbanks (Fairbanks) to test my list even if it's not exactly the subject of this thread.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 08:55:01 PM »

To re-quote your original post....

OK - Oklahoma U - Norman

So here's where your question raised some questions for me (Bolded), is the definition of "what is a flagship university"...

Like many others, I have always been a bit confused about what exactly qualifies in order to create a comprehensive list, although granted for many states,this is easily definable based upon the following standards...

"Gary Olson at The Chronicle of Higher Education offers the following definition:

'While the criteria used to determine flagship status will vary from state to state, typically a state’s flagship is its land-grant institution. It is likely to be the university with the highest research profile and the most doctoral programs. It may house the state’s medical school, law school, or both. And it may be the largest and best endowed university in the state. Membership in the prestigious Association of American Universities may be yet another factor, and NCAA Division I athletics is a must.' "

http://www.diycollegerankings.com/what-is-a-flagship-university/19598/

If one were to google the topic, there are a ton of different opinions, but here'a a slightly different and looser definition that includes everything from popularity, national name recognition, and even google searches into the equation!

https://www.collegeraptor.com/find-colleges/articles/questions-answers/what-is-a-flagship-university/

I think this would be the standard list that most individuals use, but I still have a few problems with the CW considering that one could make a serious argument that Oregon State University fits equally into the profile as the University of Oregon, based upon the Chronicle of Higher Education definition (But I digress...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Flagship_universities_in_the_United_States

So perhaps as an addendum, if someone could helpfully post a list of the Flagship Universities by State, using the collegeraptor.com / wiki list, let's throw those into the mix as well, since there are some schools that have Division I-A sports teams that aren't football based....

Plus gives us more college cities/towns to look at for local election returns.... always fun. Smiley

Good definitions, though in some ways they can be ambiguous (as you said U of Oregon and Oregon State U). A simplistic approach would be to use the University known as University of [State Name] or [State Name] University. This works most of the time (though University of Pennsylvania and New York University are private, and Ohio State is bigger than Ohio U.)

As for my original post, the only answers are likely Miss. (U. of Miss. AKA Ole Miss - Oxford) and possibly:

nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 04:15:30 PM »

Was going to post the additional list of results from elite/ flagship Universities, but I guess Atlas has issues with a factory boy posting election results exceeding character limits... j/k

So.... nclib brought up the flagship Uni item, so here's the data that I've obtained thus far...

AL: University of Alabama- Tuscaloosa AL
AK: University of Alaska Fairbanks
AZ: University of Arizona
AR: University of Arkansas                                  ( 54.2 D-  35.7 R)      + 18.5% D
NY: University of Buffalo
CA: University of California- Berkeley                     (90.4 D-   3.2 R)       + 87.2% D
CO: University of Colorado                                    (82.3 D- 11.1 R)       + 71.2% D
CT: University of Connetticutt
DE: University of Delaware
FL: University of Florida
GA: University of Georgia
HI: University of Hawaii @ Manoa
ID: University of Idaho:                                       (46.5 D- 32.7 R)        + 13.8% D
IL: University of Illinois                                        (66.0 D- 24.7 R)        + 41.3% D
IN: Indiana University                                          (70.1 D- 23.3 R)        + 46.8% D
IA: University of Iowa                                          (72.6 D- 20.1 R)        + 52.5% D
KS: University of Kansas                                      (68.6 D- 23.3 R)        + 55.6% D
KY: University of Kentucky
LA: Louisiana State University
ME: University of Maine
MD: University of Maryland (College Park)
MA: University of Massachusetts (Amherst)           (82.8 D- 8.4 R)           +74.4% D
MI: University of Michigan                                   (83.2 D- 11.8 R)          +71.4% D
MN: University of Minnesota                                (79.8 D- 11.8 R)          +68.0% D
MS: University of Mississippi                                (45.5 D- 49.7 R)          + 4.2% R
MO: University of Missourri
MT: University of Montana
NE: University of Nebraska (Lincoln)                    (44.9 D- 44.7 R)           + 0.2% D
NV: University of Nevada (Reno)
NH: University of New Hampshire
NM: University of New Mexico
NC: University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill)
ND: University of North Dakota
OH: Ohio State University                                   (70.2 D- 25.2 R)           + 45.0% D
OK: University of Oklahoma                                (46.4 D- 45.5 R)           +  0.9% D
PA: Pennsylvania State University
RI: University of Rhode Island
SC: University of South Carolina
SD: University of South Dakota
TN: University of Tennessee
UT: University of Utah                                          (66.1 D- 16.3 R)        +49.8 D
VT: University of Vermont
VA: University of Virginia                                     (79.7 D- 13.2 R)         +66.5 D
WA: University of Washington                              (84.2 D- 8.4 R)           +75.8 D
WV: West Virginia University                                (55.4 D- 33.5 R)         +21.9 D
WI: University of Wisconsin (Madison)                  (78.4 D- 15.0 R)         +63.4 D
WY: University of Wyoming                                  (43.9 D-  39.8 R)        + 4.1% D

NY: University of Buffalo (actually SUNY-Buffalo) (77.8% D 18.2% R) + 59.6% D
CT: University of Connecticut - Storrs, CT (inside Mansfield which is (72.4% D 21.2% R) +51.2% D)
ME: University of Maine (63.7% D 26.9% R) +37.8% D
NH: University of New Hampshire (67.5% D 25.4% R) + 42.1% D
PA: Pennsylvania State University (from Wikipedia it says campus (University Park) is in State College Borough and College township (should I add the results of both?))
RI: University of Rhode Island - Kingston, RI (inside South Kingston which is (59.4% D 31.65% R) + 27.7% D)
TN: University of Tennessee (49.9% D- 42.9% R)      +7.0% D
VT: University of Vermont (76.7% D 11.0% R) + 65.7% D

NJ (Rutgers University) (71.3% D 24.6% R) + 46.8% D

You forgot Texas (Austin). Rutgers is the flagship university in NJ. You also left off Oregon (U. of Oregon or Oregon State). You said earlier that you were not sure whether U. of Oregon or OSU counted as flagship, though we have results for both.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 08:48:02 PM »

Mississippi is so far the only state to have its flagship university in a town that voted for Trump, though North Dakota is likely, and Alaska is a possibility.

Few things make me smile more than knowing Starkville voted for Hillary and Oxford voted for Trump.

This is interesting as so far every other state has its flagship university vote to the left of its land grant/Ag university. The only other is Ohio where despite its names (Ohio U and Ohio State) Ohio State is bigger and for all intents and purposes the flagship school, and even then there was less than 1% difference.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 06:29:00 PM »

Army is in West Point CDP which is in the Town of Highlands in Orange County, NY. CDPs do not appear to have election results available, but the Town of Highlands is 49.9% D 45.0% R +4.8% D.

This is the same situation as UConn and U. of Rhode Island in the flagship schools list. Is it worth (or possible) calculating the CDP results, or should we just use the town results? Either way, it would be good to be consistent.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 06:37:39 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2017, 06:41:18 PM by nclib »

Maryland-College Park is probably the only university on this list that is less Democratic than its county (though simply because university town whites are not nearly as Democratic as blacks).

Nebraska-Lincoln appears close, though absentees are not broken down by precinct but it is likely that Lincoln would be more Democratic as Hillary didn't win a single precinct outside of Lincoln city limits.

Anything else?

PS: Jerry, what is that a map of in your signature?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 04:19:56 PM »

Maryland-College Park is probably the only university on this list that is less Democratic than its county (though simply because university town whites are not nearly as Democratic as blacks).

Nebraska-Lincoln appears close, though absentees are not broken down by precinct but it is likely that Lincoln would be more Democratic as Hillary didn't win a single precinct outside of Lincoln city limits.

Anything else?

PS: Jerry, what is that a map of in your signature?

I'm actually starting to wonder if that is actually the case (Bolded).....

Are you doubting College Park votes to the right of Prince George's, or are you questioning that College Park was probably the only one?

As for the rest of your post, yes, it is unfortunate where Absentee and Early vote aren't broken down by precinct, esp. where that takes up a good chunk of the county's vote.

I like your idea of assuming the abs and early vote, vote in proportion as the ED vote, i.e. if the city's ED vote is 5% more Dem than the county's ED vote, then we project that the city's abs/early is 5% more Democratic than the county's.

That said, this isn't perfect, esp. as we don't know if some precincts are more likely to have voters vote Abs/Early. It may still be the best we have.

As for Annapolis, IIRC in 2008 it went barely Democratic even as Anne Arundel went Republican.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 05:55:04 PM »

This thread has discussion on Annapolis in 2008.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 02:21:52 PM »

SEC-East

University of Georgia:

Athens, Georgia....

29.603 HRC (65.1% D), 12,717 Trump (28.0% R)      + 37.1% D

Spent over 30 minutes mucking around with Athens and precinct results from Clarke County, only to discover that the City and County are now one political entity !!!???

Unless anyone can tell me otherwise, at this point I will assume the City results equal the County results....

Not quite but very close.

From Wiki:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Athens has 98.9% of the population of Clarke County.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 03:36:27 PM »

Interesting how Democratic Lawrence, KS and KU are. Lawrence and its county (Douglas) are very Democratic (and anti-gay marriage amendment) compared to their state.

I am in the process of compiling city results of flagship universities (the city/town not necessarily the on-campus and off-campus precincts) compared to the state result. I am looking forward to the rest of the Flagship cities, but so far the biggest discrepancy is Michigan and the smallest discrepancy is Alaska (of course the univ. city is more Democratic in all states so far).
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2019, 10:19:44 PM »

Can anyone add to this?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies