The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 03:54:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 80
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 2  (Read 221530 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1300 on: June 09, 2018, 03:59:26 PM »

The NY Times says many of the prospective 2020 Dems are trying to forge relationships with big $ donors in NYC:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/09/nyregion/democrats-2020-donors.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1301 on: June 09, 2018, 06:32:09 PM »

Castro visiting Iowa on June 23 and 24:

https://theintercept.com/2018/06/08/julian-castro-2020-presidential-election/

Also in that story, Team Castro is apparently high on Texas:

This is a terrible analysis. I hope this isn't real.

Whatever - let him go. The worst thing that happens is he crashes and burns, which is what will happen.

One thing that's true is that the Democrats have done a really bad job running quality Hispanic candidates in Texas and Florida, and that has held back their long-predicted gains in these places. (Heck even California) Look at Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, both presidential material, or even the earlier Mel Martinez. The GOP would have lost that Senate seat in 2004 if it wasn't for the Cuban vote. Having someone like Castro up there on the debate stage one or two times can't hurt.
I don't care if he runs, that analysis was just stupid. Hedging your bet on a group of unreliable voters while ignoring states that Trump won by less than 50 percent and only won by one point is awful strategy. Especially betting on Texas when the Hispanics there already vote more Republican than Hispanics do nationwide.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1302 on: June 09, 2018, 06:44:02 PM »

Castro visiting Iowa on June 23 and 24:

https://theintercept.com/2018/06/08/julian-castro-2020-presidential-election/

Also in that story, Team Castro is apparently high on Texas:

This is a terrible analysis. I hope this isn't real.

Whatever - let him go. The worst thing that happens is he crashes and burns, which is what will happen.

One thing that's true is that the Democrats have done a really bad job running quality Hispanic candidates in Texas and Florida, and that has held back their long-predicted gains in these places. (Heck even California) Look at Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, both presidential material, or even the earlier Mel Martinez. The GOP would have lost that Senate seat in 2004 if it wasn't for the Cuban vote. Having someone like Castro up there on the debate stage one or two times can't hurt.
I don't care if he runs, that analysis was just stupid. Hedging your bet on a group of unreliable voters while ignoring states that Trump won by less than 50 percent and only won by one point is awful strategy. Especially betting on Texas when the Hispanics there already vote more Republican than Hispanics do nationwide.

His political team might not actually believe it.  They might just be peddling it to the media as a way of trying to convince party elites to back Castro over the alternatives.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1303 on: June 11, 2018, 07:49:13 AM »

Obama's met most of the hopefuls recently.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1304 on: June 11, 2018, 08:59:27 AM »

Well, "most" is a stretch, since there are something like 25 of them.  The potential candidates who Obama has met with are:

Biden
Booker
Buttigieg
Garcetti
Holder
Kander
Landrieu
Patrick
Sanders
Warren
JG

« Reply #1305 on: June 11, 2018, 09:01:14 AM »

Well, "most" is a stretch, since there are something like 25 of them.  The potential candidates who Obama has met with are:

Biden
Booker
Buttigieg
Garcetti
Holder
Kander
Landrieu
Patrick
Sanders
Warren

Interesting how Harris and Gillibrand (who are more hyped up than Buttigieg or Landrieu) aren't among them.
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #1306 on: June 11, 2018, 05:20:57 PM »

Any signals of Senator Cantwell wanting to run in 2020?
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1307 on: June 11, 2018, 07:48:21 PM »

I'm surprised people are taking Buttigieg and Landrieu seriously. I think NYC/LA mayors are somewhat acceptable Presidential candidates because their cities are larger than many states but South Bend and New Orleans?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1308 on: June 12, 2018, 01:41:02 AM »

I'm surprised people are taking Buttigieg and Landrieu seriously. I think NYC/LA mayors are somewhat acceptable Presidential candidates because their cities are larger than many states but South Bend and New Orleans?

Depends on what you mean by "people taking them seriously".  I think Obama simply might be willing to meet with any (non-crazy or scandal-tarred) Democratic politicians who are thinking of running in 2020.  Buttigieg and Landrieu seem to be thinking about running, so if they want to meet with Obama, he'll do it, even if he or others don't give them much chance of winning.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #1309 on: June 12, 2018, 02:39:42 AM »

Depends on what you mean by "people taking them seriously".  I think Obama simply might be willing to meet with any (non-crazy or scandal-tarred) Democratic politicians who are thinking of running in 2020.  Buttigieg and Landrieu seem to be thinking about running, so if they want to meet with Obama, he'll do it, even if he or others don't give them much chance of winning.

they're 'running' for cabinet positions really
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #1310 on: June 12, 2018, 10:29:06 PM »

Garcetti was just on the Daily Show, got the 2020 question, said "anyone above the age of 35 should be considering running". So yeah, I'd bet my left leg that Garcetti runs.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1311 on: June 12, 2018, 11:40:45 PM »

Garcetti was just on the Daily Show, got the 2020 question, said "anyone above the age of 35 should be considering running". So yeah, I'd bet my left leg that Garcetti runs.

The fact you aren't betting something more vital, like brain matter, leads me to believe you aren't sure Garcetti will run.
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1312 on: June 13, 2018, 08:58:12 PM »

The fact you aren't betting something more vital, like brain matter, leads me to believe you aren't sure Garcetti will run.

Ok, if Garcetti dosen't run in 2020 then I will try my best to get myself human trafficked.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1313 on: June 13, 2018, 10:20:50 PM »

Booker, Gillibrand, Harris, Sanders, and Warren all spoke at the We the People Summit:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jun/13/democratic-2020-hopefuls-progressive-conference-we-the-people

Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1314 on: June 14, 2018, 09:51:53 AM »

Booker, Gillibrand, Harris, Sanders, and Warren all spoke at the We the People Summit:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jun/13/democratic-2020-hopefuls-progressive-conference-we-the-people

Biden noticeably absent. If he runs then I think he's going to run as an Enlightened Centrist©.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1315 on: June 14, 2018, 11:04:22 PM »

Steyer did an event in Nevada last night:

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/politics/2018/06/14/divisive-trump-impeachment-tour-stops-reno/703780002/
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1316 on: June 16, 2018, 07:37:19 AM »

Booker says he'll consider it after the midterms, but also wants to have a family.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1317 on: June 16, 2018, 01:12:37 PM »

Roger Stone Says Trump might not Run in 2020 and that he has someone to challenge a Pence-Haley Ticket
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/roger-stone-says-trump-may-not-run-in-2020-pledges-to-line-up-challenger-to-pence-haley-ticket
Any idea who?
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #1318 on: June 16, 2018, 01:40:40 PM »

maybe Cotton?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1319 on: June 16, 2018, 03:08:28 PM »

Here's this week's #2020Insight column:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/16/politics/2020-insight-kirsten-gillibrand-tax/index.html

One thing of note that hasn't already been mentioned here: Gillibrand now supports a financial transaction tax, yet another example of her getting in sync with Sanders on policy issues.

That is interesting.  He'd previously just tried to deflect the question, so admitting that he's thinking about it is a step towards honesty.  Though he also says he wants to get reelected in 2020, so not sure how he's going to handle running for both offices at once, should it come to that:

And on the family front:

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1320 on: June 16, 2018, 05:24:34 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/16/politics/2020-insight-kirsten-gillibrand-tax/index.html

One thing of note that hasn't already been mentioned here: Gillibrand now supports a financial transaction tax, yet another example of her getting in sync with Sanders on policy issues.

That is interesting.  He'd previously just tried to deflect the question, so admitting that he's thinking about it is a step towards honesty.  Though he also says he wants to get reelected in 2020, so not sure how he's going to handle running for both offices at once, should it come to that:

And on the family front:

Senator Booker can solve the dating thing by getting married.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1321 on: June 16, 2018, 05:56:28 PM »

Roger Stone Says Trump might not Run in 2020

please

and that he has someone to challenge a Pence-Haley Ticket

no
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1322 on: June 16, 2018, 08:24:07 PM »

And on the family front:

Senator Booker can solve the dating thing by getting married.

Mind as well just run as a bachelor, it would look way worse to just marry right before or while he's running people would see right through that. 
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #1323 on: June 16, 2018, 10:39:34 PM »

Comey for President:

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018/06/crooked-comeys-latest-tweet-has-people-saying-hes-running-in-2020/
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1324 on: June 17, 2018, 12:27:47 AM »

You do realize you're posting an article from a rabidly pro-Trump site that dismisses Russia-gate as "fake news"?

Comey's not running...at least not for President. (I could see him being the running mate for a Kasich campaign).
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies