Japan Oct 22 2017 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:40:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Japan Oct 22 2017 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Japan Oct 22 2017  (Read 41527 times)
BigSkyBob

« on: October 26, 2017, 10:13:03 PM »

To hazard a guess: I imagine that young Japanese are far less likely to be strict pacifists and, thus, are liable to be sympathetic to Abe's push for constitutional reforms, which can be framed as "modernizing" Japan, whereas elderly Japanese - at least, the left-inclined ones - who grew up in the shadow of WWII, are far more likely to be strict pacifists or to take issue with militarism. Further, Abenomics is rather radical in its thrust - constituting a break from ill-advised half-measures and the schizoid nature of post-90s crisis management in Japan - so I can see why young people in Japan would back the LDP, who are seeking to bring Japan out of its ~30 year period of malaise.

The LDP is a terrible party and Abe is a bit of a nutcase but they deserve credit for reviving the Japanese economy.

Hazarding to guess, I'd speculate that conservative Japanese have more children than liberal ones. Thus, each successive generation, reflecting the mores and values of their parents, is more conservative than the last.

Israel and Turkey is seeing that phenomena.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 11:18:19 AM »

To hazard a guess: I imagine that young Japanese are far less likely to be strict pacifists and, thus, are liable to be sympathetic to Abe's push for constitutional reforms, which can be framed as "modernizing" Japan, whereas elderly Japanese - at least, the left-inclined ones - who grew up in the shadow of WWII, are far more likely to be strict pacifists or to take issue with militarism. Further, Abenomics is rather radical in its thrust - constituting a break from ill-advised half-measures and the schizoid nature of post-90s crisis management in Japan - so I can see why young people in Japan would back the LDP, who are seeking to bring Japan out of its ~30 year period of malaise.

The LDP is a terrible party and Abe is a bit of a nutcase but they deserve credit for reviving the Japanese economy.

Hazarding to guess, I'd speculate that conservative Japanese have more children than liberal ones. Thus, each successive generation, reflecting the mores and values of their parents, is more conservative than the last.

Israel and Turkey is seeing that phenomena.

I highly doubt it. Conservative people tend to have more children in almost any society, but in almost all of these societies younger generations are less conservative than older. Israel and Turkey are very unusual in that regard: in Turkey there are huge regional and ethnic (Turks vs Kurds) differences, and in Israel Jews of different origin tend to form separate communities with very different birth rates. Japan is much more culturally homogeneous, and it's birth rate is so low that I can't believe it's hugely higher among conservative people (unless among non-conservatives it's close to 0).

Turnout explanation is much more believable.

Your understanding of the situation in Turkey and Israel simply misses the effect of religion on fertility. Conservative religious people have more children creating a more conservative electorate in the next generation.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies