Ontario 2018 election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 11:30:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ontario 2018 election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 ... 97
Author Topic: Ontario 2018 election  (Read 205197 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2025 on: June 03, 2018, 12:15:24 PM »

I think KW prevails because she'll be able to appeal to enough of the Blair Morrisons and Log McQuaigs.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #2026 on: June 03, 2018, 12:36:04 PM »

Pollara

PC 37% (+5)
NDP 37% (-6)
Liberal 20% (+3)
Green 5% (-)
Other 1% (-1)

https://www.pollara.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Pollara_ONElxn2018-MethoDataBrf_May30-Jun2.pdf
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #2027 on: June 03, 2018, 12:41:38 PM »

I don't really know if this should be compared to their other polls. Their methedology has completely changed. It was all online last poll, and is a mixture of phone/online in this poll (1080 phone calls, 367 online surveys).
EPG
« Reply #2028 on: June 03, 2018, 12:54:26 PM »

Are people more likely to refrain from telling pollsters their true intention if they are backing Doug Ford? I think so and I suspect PCs will do fine.
adma
« Reply #2029 on: June 03, 2018, 12:59:12 PM »

Ugh. How many of those Liberal voters would've switched to the NDP had they not voted ahead of time? There was a lot of this in the 2011 federal election. Costed the NDP at least one seat in Quebec (Westmount) from what I recall.

One of the many reasons I would prefer people not vote ahead of time.

Though to be fair:  had the results shifted by a point and a half or so in three Toronto ridings in 2015, you could switch the party labels there.  (And advance polls made the difference in a number of Quebec NDP "saves" that year, too.)
DL
Canada

« Reply #2030 on: June 03, 2018, 01:01:45 PM »

Are people more likely to refrain from telling pollsters their true intention if they are backing Doug Ford? I think so and I suspect PCs will do fine.

That’s an old theory . Nowadays rightwingers are very aggressively proud to support pigs like Ford
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2031 on: June 03, 2018, 01:03:09 PM »

Quito Maggi is promising a surprise result in Agincourt, is suggesting the Liberals still have strength in Humber River-Black Creek and that things have shifted in St. Paul's as well.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #2032 on: June 03, 2018, 01:05:24 PM »

Ugh. How many of those Liberal voters would've switched to the NDP had they not voted ahead of time? There was a lot of this in the 2011 federal election. Costed the NDP at least one seat in Quebec (Westmount) from what I recall.

Though to be fair:  had the results shifted by a point and a half or so in three Toronto ridings in 2015, you could switch the party labels there.  (And advance polls made the difference in a number of Quebec NDP "saves" that year, too.)

How acurate traditionally are these polls of early voting anyway?
Abacus seems to have the Liberals on average 3% higher then other pollsters so its  possible their advanced voting is overestimating the Liberals.

I also imagine as advanced voting is a small portion of the electorate and only a small portion of their sample claimed to have voted early those early voting numbers would come with a huge margin of error.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2033 on: June 03, 2018, 01:28:18 PM »

Quito Maggi is promising a surprise result in Agincourt

Knowing him, this probably means the Tories are ahead which would not actually be a surprise at all.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2034 on: June 03, 2018, 01:31:34 PM »

Indeed, Agincourt is probably the first seat in Toronto to fall to the PCs (perhaps excluding Etobicoke North).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2035 on: June 03, 2018, 01:55:34 PM »

That’s an old theory . Nowadays rightwingers are very aggressively proud to support pigs like Ford

Ford is hardly a break for the PCs anyway - Harris led them into three elections and o/c won two. Not everything is about or like Trump...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2036 on: June 03, 2018, 01:58:02 PM »

Polling subsamples are not particularly accurate in any country (and are not polls themselves and shouldn't be treated as such) and polling in Canada is amongst the least accurate in the industrialised world and has been for many decades. So to answer your question, what does two plus two equal?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2037 on: June 03, 2018, 01:58:58 PM »

I don't really know if this should be compared to their other polls. Their methedology has completely changed. It was all online last poll, and is a mixture of phone/online in this poll (1080 phone calls, 367 online surveys).

It's unusual for herding to be this blatant, lmao.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #2038 on: June 03, 2018, 02:01:04 PM »

Polling subsamples are not particularly accurate in any country (and are not polls themselves and shouldn't be treated as such) and polling in Canada is amongst the least accurate in the industrialised world and has been for many decades. So to answer your question, what does two plus two equal?

Is Canadian polling actually that bad? They were pretty good in 2015.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2039 on: June 03, 2018, 02:07:37 PM »

The problem isn't insomuch the polls themselves, but the volatility of the electorate, I think.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #2040 on: June 03, 2018, 02:07:43 PM »

Final Abacus poll is out and shows no change at all from last week

NDP 37%
PCs 33%
OLP 23%

But they also find that when given a binary choice 60% prefer a Horwath NDP government vs 40% who prefer a Ford PC government and among Liberal voters that ratio rises to 80/20

Draw your own conclusions about how Wynne’s concession affects things

Very interesting stuff. The early vote is surprisingly strong for the Liberals too (34 PC, 30 NDP, 27 Liberal)

True advanced polls are overused, but I find its mostly people who are diehard anyways and unlikely to change.  It's basically a way to ensure their vote is locked in case something comes up that prevents them from voting.  Also you need it as there are those with travel plans and its important those out of the province or country can vote too.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2041 on: June 03, 2018, 02:09:03 PM »

Burlington is interesting.  I guess not being very Fordian, having a bit of an urban core and closeness to Hamilton = some NDP potential?
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #2042 on: June 03, 2018, 02:10:33 PM »

Depends what types.  If you look at the last US election, they nailed the percentage of non-college educated whites who voted for Trump, but underestimated the number of college educated whites who voted for Trump.  I think amongst uneducated voters, many are proud to support Ford, but amongst the more educated you might get some shy, but probably only makes a difference or a point of two.  You might also get some shy Liberals while as silly as this seems, I think you could get some shy NDP supporters amongst the wealthy since generally if you are making six figure salary it is seen as taboo to vote NDP just as it is seen as taboo to vote Ford if university educated, but in the end largely a wash.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #2043 on: June 03, 2018, 02:12:06 PM »

Usually pretty good, but about 5 years ago they had some misses, BC 2013 being the most extreme example of a big miss.  But since 2015 they've generally been pretty good and it looks like a lot of them retooled to correct for the mistakes they made earlier.

King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2044 on: June 03, 2018, 02:24:59 PM »

OK I see Guildwood and Agincourt now.  So Mitzie Hunter still has some support.  This is a tough call for the "strategic voter."
adma
« Reply #2045 on: June 03, 2018, 02:28:17 PM »

Abacus seems to have the Liberals on average 3% higher then other pollsters so its  possible their advanced voting is overestimating the Liberals.

I also imagine as advanced voting is a small portion of the electorate and only a small portion of their sample claimed to have voted early those early voting numbers would come with a huge margin of error.

OTOH, there is a tradition of right-of-centre overperformance and NDP underperformance in advance polls.  When NDP overperforms, it's either when the demos most prone to advance voting tend leftward (as in many cultural-class urban ridings) or the campaign momentum shifts dramatically away t/w the end of the campaign (as in 2015 federally).

Though given "Ford populism", it could well be that the PCs are, well, underperforming their usual advance-poll overperformance.

Keep in mind that if it were all about the advance polls, 1990 would have seen something like a 3-way seat split.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2046 on: June 03, 2018, 02:33:03 PM »

The problem isn't insomuch the polls themselves, but the volatility of the electorate, I think.

Yeah, party loyalty and party identification are both unusually low in Canada, which creates very difficult conditions for polling firms. It's not that polling misfires totally all the time or even that regularly, but that even more than in most places you should always affix 'roughly' or 'approximately' before any figures.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2047 on: June 03, 2018, 02:35:14 PM »

OTOH, there is a tradition of right-of-centre overperformance and NDP underperformance in advance polls.  When NDP overperforms, it's either when the demos most prone to advance voting tend leftward (as in many cultural-class urban ridings) or the campaign momentum shifts dramatically away t/w the end of the campaign (as in 2015 federally).

Though given "Ford populism", it could well be that the PCs are, well, underperforming their usual advance-poll overperformance.

Keep in mind that if it were all about the advance polls, 1990 would have seen something like a 3-way seat split.

Do they skew elderly as e.g. postal votes do in most places?
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #2048 on: June 03, 2018, 02:45:33 PM »

Presumably most countries don't have pollster CEO's who sh*tpost on Twitter like Quito Maggi or Darrell Bricker, at least.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #2049 on: June 03, 2018, 03:46:45 PM »

OK I see Guildwood and Agincourt now.  So Mitzie Hunter still has some support.  This is a tough call for the "strategic voter."

Not really. Unlike some other Scarborough ridings, in Guildwood the ABF (anyone but Ford) voter should support the Liberals.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies