Do you support Catalan independence from Spain?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 01:29:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you support Catalan independence from Spain?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 72

Author Topic: Do you support Catalan independence from Spain?  (Read 2461 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2017, 07:38:51 PM »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_independence
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 08:20:49 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2017, 08:25:44 PM by AndyHogan14 »

I support whatever the people want. If I were to vote, however, I would probably be in favor of continued union with Spain because it is the path of least resistance. If Catalonia were to become independent, they would lose membership in the European Union which would cause a whole host of problems and Spain would likely veto any future Catalan EU application.

In the end, however, I am not as vehemently opposed to Catalan independence as I am Scottish independence. Even though Spain is now a democratic country, there is a long history of undemocratic regimes persecuting Catalans—something that never really happened with Scotland in the UK.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 09:01:55 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2017, 09:05:40 PM by Helsinkian »

Undecided. I would probably support it if I were Catalonian. But I would probably oppose it if I were Castilian.

Catalonians are distinct enough to have an own nation state if they want one. On the other hand, we can't just have unilateral separatist secessions all over Europe.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 10:37:08 PM »

Its up to the people off course and in a fair referendum on independence i could probably be swayed by both sides as i could both support federalism and independence. I would probably lean more towards independence due to Catalonia's distinct culture and history but i could also understand how it could cause even more instability in the Iberian Peninsula.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 02:15:14 AM »

No. It's time to stop breaking independent countries into small, weak pieces. Not a fan of "what the people want", either. The people's nationalistic feelings are easily manipulated by politicians.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 03:35:26 AM »

No. It's time to stop breaking independent countries into small, weak pieces. Not a fan of "what the people want", either. The people's nationalistic feelings are easily manipulated by politicians.

If not "what the people want", then who??? Authorities? What if i don't give a damn about them?Huh?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 03:52:49 AM »
« Edited: September 09, 2017, 03:57:10 AM by Parrotguy »

If not "what the people want", then who??? Authorities? What if i don't give a damn about them?Huh?

On issues of Independence, if the conquest was recent or if the situation becomes unsustainable and painful for both sides, the elected leaders should negotiate on terms. If the public likes these terms, they'll keep these leaders in office or vote for them in the first place.
I'm a supporter of representative democracy on issues that require a clear knowledge of issues and consequences, especially if said issues cause strong emotions that are exploitable by populist leaders, such as nationalism. Brexit was a very obvious case of the people choosing something because of exploitation of their emotions and sometimes blatant lies from the Yes side, a choice many are regretting now that the consequences are clearer.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 04:29:04 AM »

No. Catalan Nationalism seems to be mainly based on a smug superiority over southerners, like if the Northern League pretended to be left.

Nationalism is a curse, especially by thr "left". Imagine if all those young leftist activists matching for yet another nation-state put their efforts into something that actually helped the cause?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 03:02:55 PM »

Possibly, but atm I am not comfortable with taking a position. I didn't vote in the poll.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 03:24:13 PM »

Only if there is a coherent plan for how they would govern and support themselves. While I do want to respect the wishes of "the people", sometimes that can lead to chaos if there aren't sufficient plans for how the independent nation would function.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 03:36:14 PM »

If I was Catalan, I'd vote against independance but I can understand Catalonia wanting it
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 08:29:46 PM »

No. Catalan Nationalism seems to be mainly based on a smug superiority over southerners, like if the Northern League pretended to be left.

Nationalism is a curse, especially by thr "left". Imagine if all those young leftist activists matching for yet another nation-state put their efforts into something that actually helped the cause?
As usual, Crabcake is correct.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 10:41:39 PM »

VISCA CATALUNYA
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 10:55:26 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2017, 10:57:55 PM by Southern Speaker TimTurner »

Do I support the idea of Catalan independence from Spain? Hell no.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 11:04:56 PM »

On issues of Independence, if the conquest was recent or if the situation becomes unsustainable and painful for both sides, the elected leaders should negotiate on terms. If the public likes these terms, they'll keep these leaders in office or vote for them in the first place.
I'm a supporter of representative democracy on issues that require a clear knowledge of issues and consequences, especially if said issues cause strong emotions that are exploitable by populist leaders, such as nationalism. Brexit was a very obvious case of the people choosing something because of exploitation of their emotions and sometimes blatant lies from the Yes side, a choice many are regretting now that the consequences are clearer.

Proof would be nice pls.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2017, 11:07:17 PM »

I support self-determination, as I am not a blatant imperialist.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2017, 11:33:02 PM »

No all of Iberia should be united.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2017, 11:38:07 PM »

Only if there is a coherent plan for how they would govern and support themselves. While I do want to respect the wishes of "the people", sometimes that can lead to chaos if there aren't sufficient plans for how the independent nation would function.

Precisely why I don't know what to make of this, but firmly support The Holyrood going its own from Westminster.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2017, 11:41:27 PM »

It seems the trend is smaller countries but bigger unions, due to globalization.

I don't know much about the issue, but as long as the people of Catalan aren't trying to set up some illiberal oppressive government, wouldn't doom their people to poverty or regression, and the people want it, then let them. It's not like the breakup of Spain in this century will have global consequences.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2017, 12:00:58 AM »

looks like this forum is as divided on Catalan independence as are the Catalans themselves.

Yes    19 (48.7%)
No    20 (51.3%)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2017, 02:50:08 AM »

Proof would be nice pls.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-leave-voters-remain-worst-event-2016-eu-referendum-european-union-a7500571.html

Admittedly, most Yes voters probably stubbornly stand with their decisions, just like Trump voters. But I do think some are regretting it now that the nationalistic lies about healthcare were exposed. Referendums on issues such as independence let populist politicians exploit emotions and lie, and that is something I can't support. If thr people of Britain truly wanted Brexit, thry should've gotten Boris Johnson or Nigel Farage elected.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2017, 06:51:21 AM »

Yes, if the majority want it. And the way Spain handles this makes me side with the separatists even more. It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2017, 07:09:22 AM »

Undecided. I would probably support it if I were Catalonian. But I would probably oppose it if I were Castilian.

Catalonians are distinct enough to have an own nation state if they want one. On the other hand, we can't just have unilateral separatist secessions all over Europe.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 07:08:08 PM »

Yes. Spain is an artificial nation based on Castilian supremacy.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 08:49:49 PM »

What about Palestinian nationalism?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies