What if Mitt had run for the GOP nomination in 2016?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:13:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  What if Mitt had run for the GOP nomination in 2016?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if Mitt had run for the GOP nomination in 2016?  (Read 564 times)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 24, 2017, 09:39:32 PM »

Could he have taken down Trump?  What about Hillary in the general?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 10:12:48 PM »

The guy who couldn't beat Obama and looks exactly like the type of elitist Trump has been railing on the whole time and striking a chord? Ha! He'd do about as well as Kasich or Rubio if he were so lucky.

And if he somehow got the nomination, he'd lose to Hillary, whom now looks charismatic in comparison. He'd definitely lose The Rust Belt for sure.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 06:46:21 AM »

I assume he mostly takes from Trump and Rubio in the Northeast. I don't quite know what the map would look, but I suspect NH would be a three way heat between Trump, Romney, and Kasich, with whoever wins quickly coalescing the Northeast vote around them.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 03:57:52 PM »

I actually think he would have been the nominee and president. He probably would have consolidated the establishment vote faster and he would have handled Trump better than Jeb! or Little Marco. He actually was more in touch with the Trump base than you would expect. There are a lot of Romney/Trump voters, don't forget Romney's stances on immigration and China in 2012 (and even 2008). Trump primary voters were less socially conservative than the average Republican primary voter. And Romney was taking more populist/reformocon stances (sure, he still would have been a supply-sider, but I think his campaign tax plan taught him than slashing both income and corporate tax rates across the board mainly was popular with the WSJ editorial board, you need something to seduce middle-class voters).

After winning the nomination I don't think defeating Hillary would have been a huge problem. Romney isn't the best campaigner but he does looks presidential, and I don't think his record at Bain weighs up against all the Clinton conspiracy theories and the emails.

The thing is that in January everyone was expecting a classic GOP race, and that one actually would have been a lot harder to win for Romney. The GOP establishment probably would have rallied around Romney much sooner than they rallied around Rubio (and Romney would have handled the pressure better). He's already tried and tested, and he has experience with sinking people like Trump and Cain. Remember all the talk about Romney as a white horse establishment candidate during the campaign. But without Trump entering the GOP primaries the primaries wouldn't have gone as fast as they did. Other people would have gotten more attention which would cause Romney losing his two main advantages: name recognition and strong relations with big donors. Then he's just a boring 69-year old guy who already failed twice.

Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 10:01:06 AM »
« Edited: October 01, 2017, 10:06:29 AM by Lechasseur »

I actually think he would have been the nominee and president. He probably would have consolidated the establishment vote faster and he would have handled Trump better than Jeb! or Little Marco. He actually was more in touch with the Trump base than you would expect. There are a lot of Romney/Trump voters, don't forget Romney's stances on immigration and China in 2012 (and even 2008). Trump primary voters were less socially conservative than the average Republican primary voter. And Romney was taking more populist/reformocon stances (sure, he still would have been a supply-sider, but I think his campaign tax plan taught him than slashing both income and corporate tax rates across the board mainly was popular with the WSJ editorial board, you need something to seduce middle-class voters).

After winning the nomination I don't think defeating Hillary would have been a huge problem. Romney isn't the best campaigner but he does looks presidential, and I don't think his record at Bain weighs up against all the Clinton conspiracy theories and the emails.

The thing is that in January everyone was expecting a classic GOP race, and that one actually would have been a lot harder to win for Romney. The GOP establishment probably would have rallied around Romney much sooner than they rallied around Rubio (and Romney would have handled the pressure better). He's already tried and tested, and he has experience with sinking people like Trump and Cain. Remember all the talk about Romney as a white horse establishment candidate during the campaign. But without Trump entering the GOP primaries the primaries wouldn't have gone as fast as they did. Other people would have gotten more attention which would cause Romney losing his two main advantages: name recognition and strong relations with big donors. Then he's just a boring 69-year old guy who already failed twice.

This
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 10:03:17 AM »

Even if he did win the nomination i really don't see how Mitt could win in November. The Rustbelt aren't really on the table for him and states like Virginia and Colorado were already lost by him in 2012 and have grown much more blue since.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies