Foreign Relations Review Bill

(1/6) > >>

Emsworth:
Foreign Relations Review Bill

Preamble

The purpose of this legislation is to clarify the authority of the Secretary of State.

Section 1 - Creation of the Foreign Relations Review

1. It is the responsibility of the Secretary of State to maintain, and draft the relations between Atlasia and all other recognized states of the world.

2. The Foreign Relations Review will specifically examine the military and economic relations between the Republic of Atlasia, and the states in question.

3. The creation of the Foreign Relations Review will be completed entirely by the Secretary of State and posted in the State Department thread.

Section 2 - State Department Thread

1. Citizens, and elected officials of all branches of the government are invited to give commentary and opinions on the foreign policy at hand.

2. The Secretary of State is under no directive to obey the desires expressed in the State Department Thread.

3. In instances where the Secretary of State is unsure of what course of action to take he or she may call on the Senate, or Executive for direct input.

Section 3 - Authority of the Foreign Relations Review

As drafted, the Foreign Relations Review becomes law, and the official policy of the Republic of Atlasia.

Section 4 - Amending the Foreign Relations Review

1. The Secretary of State can freely change the Foreign Relations Review of the past office holders.

2. The Senate has the authority to draft amendments to the Foreign Relations Review. After passing the Senate with a majority it will become official Atlasian foreign policy, and the Secretary of State will not have the authority to change it. The President is free to veto the amendment, like any form of legislation.

Sponsor: Sen. Colin Wixted

Emsworth:
I have a couple of suggestions:

Section 3 makes the Foreign Relations Review "law, and the official policy of the Republic of Atlasia." I think that it would be better to drop the reference to "law," as it would imply that the Secretary of State can make laws.

Section 4 should, in my opinion, allow the President, as the highest officer of the executive branch, to amend the Foreign Relations Review. It is certainly reasonable, in my opinion, to allow the head of the executive to overrule the Secretary of State if necessary.

Sam Spade:
I have no problems with the bill or the amendment as far as I can tell.  The President should have the power to overrule the Sec. of State, imo.

MasterJedi:
I would agree with Sam on this one.

King:
I support this completely. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page