Four More Years - a 2016 Election Timeline
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:03:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Four More Years - a 2016 Election Timeline
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Poll
Question: Who should Obama choose as his Running Mate?
Tim Kaine
Julian Castro
Tom Vilsack
Amy Klobucher
Kirsten Gillibrand
Al Franken
Jeff Merkley
John Hickenlooper
Martin Heinrich
WHO SHOULD TRUMP CHOOSE?
Newt Gingrich
Ben Carson
Chris Christie
Mary Fallin
Scott Brown
Marsha Blackburn
Mike Flynn
Jeff Sessions
Jim Webb
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Four More Years - a 2016 Election Timeline  (Read 56119 times)
MycroftCZ

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: February 16, 2018, 07:58:45 PM »

I hope this continues soon. One of the best TLs here. Smiley
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #226 on: February 25, 2018, 05:06:47 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2018, 08:23:08 AM by Parrotguy »

October 9th, 2016

Obama, Trump compete in 2nd Presidential debate in the shadow of leaked tapes

ST. LOUIS - The second Presidential debate of the season, a town-hall style event in Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri, was considered likely to be very contentious, even outright hostile, from the start. After all, it pitted Donald Trump, the larger-than-life businessman and reality TV star nominated by the Republican party, in the same arena as the charismatic President Barack Obama, who has a long history with Trump, who famously questioned the fact of his birth in the U.S. and thus the very legitimacy of his Presidency.

But when the tapes leaked where Trump says women allow you to "gram 'em by the pu**y" when you're a star, and a firestorm of condemnations from accross the political spectrum ensued, the debate became that much more fateful for the Trump campaign. At first, sources in the RNC claimed that Trump will announce he's not attending, but Trump denied that in a tweet and promised he will "show all the haters and establishment losers that we're going to #MAGA despite their attempts to overthrow me!"

Let's look at several key debate moments:

Andersoon Cooper: "...The question from Patrice was about ‘Are you both modeling positive and appropriate behaviors for today's youth?’ We received a lot of questions online, Mr. Trump, about the tape that was released on Friday, as you can imagine. You called what you said ‘locker room banter’. You described kissing women without consent, grabbing their genitals. That is sexual assault. You bragged that you have sexually assaulted women. Do you understand that?"
Donald Trump: "No, I didn't say that at all. I don't think you undrstood what I said. This was locker room talk, I'm not proud of it and I apologized to my family, but this was locker room talk. You know, you can see carnage and, frankly, horrible things happening all over the world, with ISIS chopping off people's heads. Terrible things. The world is a mess- the world is an angry place- and I'm going to keep America safe. I'm going to beat the hell out of ISIS."
Andersoon Cooper: "Mr. Trump, the question was about..."
Donald Trump: "...So I'm not proud of it, I'm not happy about it, but this was locker room talk."
Andersoon Cooper: "So what you said on that bus 11 years ago does not describe the way you treated women? You never actually tried to grope or kiss women without their consent?
Donald Trump: "No. No, I never did that. This was locker room talk, I have great respect for women. No one has more repsect for women than I do, certainly not this President. There are people pouring into our country from the Middle East, some of them bad people, and we need to keep out nation safe. We’re gonna make America safe again, we’re gonna make America great again but we’re gonna make America safe again and we’re gonna make America wealthy again. Because we need to rebuild our wealth."
Andersoon Cooper: "Thank you. President Obama, do you want to respond?"
Barack Obama: "You know, like everyone else, I've listened to these tapes and thought about them in the last 48 hours. I've listened to Republican officials, from the party's congressial leaders to Governors and former officeholders. I think, from all this, we can only reach one conclusion, which was frankly apparent for a while now. Donald Trump is not fit to serve as President. His morales, his values, aren't American. He speaks about Mexican immigrants in derogatory terms. He insults Muslims, disabled Americans, veterans like John McCain, my former opponent who I have great respect and admiration for. You know, with former Republican nominees, we disagreed on principals, on policy, but now... now, it's more than that. After this tape was leaked... well, it should be the last straw, you know? Speaking about women in these foul terms, making light of sexual assault- it's not someone I'd want in my President. Not at all. I wouldn't want my daughters to grow up in a country governed by such a man. So I think that this election is about more than policy- it's about values. It's about our spirit as an American nation, a united, proud nation that treats its citizens respectfully, regardless of gender, religion, race or sexual orientation."
Martha Raddatz: "Please hold the applause.
Donald Trump: "Can I respond to that? You speak about morale, Mr. President? About values? Your Secretary of State, she endangered our country's secrets with her use of a private email server, her husband was very abusive to women and she protected him and hurt these women..."
Barack Obama: "Last I checked, Donald, I'm not Hillary Clinton, but you are Donald Trump. The same one who bragged about grabbing and kissing women without their consent."
Donald Trump: "This was locker room talk. I told you this was locker room talk. And you let Hezbollah off the hook, you let ISIS rampage in the Middle East... You basically supported terrorists. Only I'll make America safe again."
Barack Obama: "There you go again, Donald. There you go, dodging the big question, dodging your shameful behaviour and deflecting by tactics of fear. These tacticsof fear, Donald, are tactics used by authoritatian despots, not leaders in a democratic country. But you're not a leader, and shouldn't be a leader."

Anderson Cooper: "We have one more question from Ken Bone about energy policy."
Ken Bone: "What steps will your energy policy take to meet our energy needs, while at the same time remaining environmentally-friendly and minimizing job loss for fossil power plant workers?"
Donald Trump: "Such a great question.Such a great question because energy is under siege by the Obama administration. Under absolute siege. The EPA, Environmental Protection Agency, is killing these energy companies. It's killing coal, it's killing energy, and foreign companies are coming in and buying our plants. Not good. We will remove restrictions and revive the coal industry, so that great places like West Virginia, or places like Ohio, which is phenomenal, or places like Pennsylvania, can start getting jobs again. Believe me, under a Trump administration we'll see coal mines popping up everywhere. It'll be tremendous. Right now, the EPA is so restrictive that they are putting our energy companies out of business. It's a disgrace. It’s an absolute disgrace."
Barack Obama: "Look, this is a real problem. It's something we've seen throughout history again and again- industries are dying as technology advances, and right now we're seeing coal being replaced by other, more effective resources, jobs being harmed by automation. My administration has done our best to help these places, to combat unemployment- and look at the numbers, it's been working. We've revived the auto industry in Detroit, for example, and restored thousands of jobs. But it's not enough. I'm aware that it's not enough. And know that- under Trump, it'll only grow worse. What we need to do is not to cling to dying hopes, we need to go forawrd, and not leave anyone behind. We will implement job training programs in West Virginia, in Ohio, in Pennsylvania. We will raise new industries like clean, alternative energies that help our environment, like tourism- West Virginia is such a beautiful place, for example. So we can help, and we will. We just need to work with the people."
Martha Raddatz: "We sneak in one more question from Karl Becker."
Karl Becker: "My question to both of you is, regardless of the current rhetoric, would either of you name one positive thing that you respect in one another?"
Barack Obama: "That's a very important question, Karl, thank you. Well, I think that one thing I admire about Donald is that he fights hard. He does not quit, as we've seen in the last few days. He decided that he wants to be President, and he ran for President, and he beat more than a dozen opponents who are experienced politicians, and now he keeps fighting. I can respect that, though I do not agree with anything he's fighting for."
Donald Trump: "Well, what I can say about the President... he doesn't let people control him. He's very independent- he ran in 2008 despite being a one-term Senator and despite the establishment supporting Hillary Clinton... now he's running again, despite many people telling him to step aside for her. He also has beautiful, accomplished children. I respect that too."

Overall, the debate was considered yet another solid victory for President Obama. Its first half was dominated by the Access Hollywood tapes and Trump tried to deflect them and talk about other issues like terror or immigration, but Obama's labeling of "fear tactics", as well as the insistence of the moderators, made it harder for him, and it looked like Trump was losing his balance several times. Like in the previous debate, the President was able to articulate his policy positions and defend them effectively, though was seen by some viewers as snide.

Who do you think won the second Presidential debate?
Barack Obama- 54%
Donald Trump- 35%
Unsure- 11%
MycroftCZ

« Reply #227 on: February 25, 2018, 05:22:50 PM »

It's back!!!
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #228 on: February 26, 2018, 10:56:03 AM »

Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #229 on: February 26, 2018, 12:12:46 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #230 on: February 26, 2018, 12:16:00 PM »

Gotta say Obama killed during that debate.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #231 on: March 03, 2018, 05:53:52 AM »
« Edited: March 03, 2018, 06:39:31 AM by Parrotguy »

October 16th, 2016

Wave of endorsements for Huntsman as Trump campaign spirals; CPD: 'Third Debate will have three participants'

WASHINGTON, D.C. - As the tape scandal continues to haunt the Trump campaign, and following another bad debate for them, Jon Huntsman's independent bid seems to be gaining more and more traction. In the last week, a wave of endorsements from important Republican officeholders and former officeholders washed over the former Utah Governor, and it's starting to look like this might be the most successful third party run since, at the very least, Ross Perot in 1992.

Other endorsements trickled in first, namely from moderate politicians like Senators Susan Collins, Cory Gardener and Lisa Murkowski. But it really started last week, a day after the 2nd debate, when Ohio Governor and former Trump primary rival John Kasich announced, in a joint Cleveland rally with Huntsman, that he's endorsing the independent bid. Also announcing their support for Huntsman were other Ohio politicians, namely Senator Rob Portman and Lt. Gov. Mary Taylor. A day later, he was joined by Fmr. Massachusetts Governor and 2012 Republican nominee Mitt Romney, who announced the endorsement in a joint campaign event in Salt Lake City, Utah, a state where both Romney and Huntsman are very popular. It came as a relative surprise to many pundits, since the two men were known rivals.

In the same day, Arizona Senator and 2008 nominee John McCain announced that he, too, was supporting Huntsman, and then the two living former Presidents from the Republican Party, George W. Bush and his father, George H.W. Bush, released a joint message where they announced that the Bush family would be voting for the Huntsman\Stavridis ticket in November. On the letter were also signed Fmr. Florida Governor and Presidential hopeful Jeb Bush, former First Ladies Laura and Barbara Bush and Texas General Land Office Commissioner George P. Bush.

In light of the endorsements and polling surge for Huntsman, putting him above the 15% required of a candidate to participate in general election debates, the Commission on Presidential Debates has announced that "a third contender will join in the last debate", meaning that, in all likeliness, Jon Huntsman will join Republican nominee Donald Trump and Democratic nominee Barack Obama in the final Presidential debate. It will be the first time since Ross Perot participated in Presidential debates back in 1992, and will serve as a major test for the survivability of the independent bid. The Huntsman\Stavridis campaign confirmed the reports, saying that they were "looking forward to bring our message to the American people". As expected, the Libertarian and Green party tickets have both protested the fact that they weren't included in the debate, too.

For the comfort of readers, we have prepared a list tracking the major politicians who endorsed the Huntsman\Stavridis ticket:

Senators:
Susan Collins (R-ME)
Lisa Murkowski (R-AK)
Lindsey Graham (R-SC)
Mark Kirk (R-IL)
Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)
Ben Sasse (R-NE)
Mike Lee (R-UT)
Mike Crapo (R-ID)
Jerry Moran (R-KS)
Deb Fischer (R-NE)
Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV)
Pat Toomey (R-PA)
Tim Scott (R-SC)
Bob Corker (R-TN)
Dean Heller (R-NV)
Jeff Flake (R-AZ)
Cory Gardener (R-CO)
Dan Sullivan (R-AK)
Rob Portman (R-OH)
John McCain (R-AZ)

Governors:
Gary Herbert (R-UT)
Charlie Baker (R-MA)
Larry Hogan (R-MD)
Bill Walker (I-AK)
Susana Martinez (R-NM)
John Kasich (R-OH)
Brian Sandoval (R-NV)
Robert Bentley (R-AL)
Bruce Rauner (R-IL)
Bill Haslam (R-TN)
Doug Ducey (R-AZ)
Nikki Haley (R-SC)
Dennis Daugaard (R-SD)
Rick Snyder (R-MI)

Other Notable Figures:
Fmr. Gov. John Huntsman (R-UT)
Ret. Admiral James Stavridis (I-FL)
Fmr. Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-CT)
Fmr. Sen. John Warner (R-VA)
Fmr. Sec. William Cohen (R-ME)
Fmr. Sec. Colin Powell (R-NY)
Fmr. Mayor Michael Bloomberg (I-NY)
Fmr. Sec. Condoleezza Rice (R-CA)
Fmr. Gov. William Weld (R-MA)
Fmr. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (R-CA)
Rep. Mia Love (R-UT)
Bussinesswoman Meg Whitman (R-CA)
Fmr. Gov. George Pataki (R-NY)
Rep. Joe Heck (R-NV)
Lt. Gov. Phil Scott (R-VT)
Fmr. Sen. Norm Coleman (R-MN)
Fmr. Gov. Mitt Romney (R-MA)
Fmr. President George H.W. Bush (R-TX)
Fmr. President George W. Bush (R-TX)
Fmr. First Lady Barbara Bush (R-TX)
Fmr. First Lady Laura Bush (R-TX)
Fmr. Gov. Jeb Bush (R-FL)
Fmr. CEO Carly Fiorina (R-CA)
Fmr. Gov. Christine Todd Whitman (R-NJ)
Fmr. Sec. Tom Ridge (R-PA)
Fmr. Gov. Tim Pawlenty (R-MN)

Meanwhile, the polls look increasingly bad for Trump.

Barack Obama vs Donald Trump (General)
Barack Obama- 54%  (+1)
Donald Trump- 38%  (-1)
Undecided- 8%  (+-0)
OBAMA +16

Barack Obama vs Donald Trump vs Jon Huntsman vs Gary Johnson vs Jill Stein (General)
Barack Obama- 47%  (+1)
Donald Trump- 30%  (-1)
Jon Huntsman- 17%  (+3)
Gary Johnson- 2%  (-1)
Jill Stein- 0%  (+-0)
Other/Undecided- 4%  (-2)
OBAMA +17
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #232 on: March 03, 2018, 06:46:24 AM »

October 18th, 2016

POLLING UPDATE: Swing state map before the 3rd debate

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Following a chaotic election season where both major candidates were harmed- President Obama by the Hezbollah bombshell and Donald Trump by two bad debates and, of course, the Access Hollywood Tape, the electoral map looks quite different from a few weeks ago. Right now, Barack Obama looks poised to win overwhelmingly, but of course, there's still some time until election day. For the first time in decades, a third party candidate is polling above 15% and seems poised to win at least one state.

As we can see, several competitive states have moved to the "likely Obama" territory- namely, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Minnesota and New Hampshire. We can also classify Maine as safely Democratic and its 2nd District as likely Democratic. The key swing states of Florida and Ohio, meanwhile, are now leaning towards the President, as do the usually Republican states of Arizona and North Carolina. Surprisingly, recent polling shows a few safely Republican states being very competitive- Missouri, Indiana and Texas- and thus, we've moved them into the tossup territory. And lastly, Jon Huntsman's independent ticket is leading in his homestate of Utah, and is polling highly throughout the Mountain West, especially in Idaho and Wyoming, who have high Mormon populations, and in elastic states like Montana, Nebraska and Alaska. This is looking like a potentially transformative election.

Note: I've decided not to include state-by-state polling, since it seems pretty pointless to me. If someone disagrees, do tell. Also, I've changed Huntsman's colour to orange since I couldn't manage to make the mock electoral map with many colours properly display districts in Maine and Nebraska.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #233 on: March 03, 2018, 09:10:11 AM »

President Huntsman!!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #234 on: March 03, 2018, 10:25:34 AM »

Oh great to see this is back! The Trump answers in the debate made me laugh. But they're written very realistically. I think this will end similar to 1912, with a divided Republican Party that runs two candidates and the Democrat winning an Electoral College blowout.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #235 on: March 03, 2018, 10:42:52 AM »

Oh great to see this is back! The Trump answers in the debate made me laugh. But they're written very realistically. I think this will end similar to 1912, with a divided Republican Party that runs two candidates and the Democrat winning an Electoral College blowout.

Thanks! Fun fact: many of the Trump answers are his actual answers from the debates, but edited to add stuff about Obama and account for the change in his debate opponent Tongue
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #236 on: March 03, 2018, 08:24:06 PM »

Here's an interesting story:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/days-before-the-election-stormy-daniels-threatened-to-cancel-deal-to-keep-alleged-affair-with-trump-secret/2018/03/02/770a446a-1d9b-11e8-8a2c-1a6665f59e95_story.html?utm_term=.2d64e587c9fb

Apparently, Stormy Daniels was planning to go public about the affair just before Election Day because she hadn't been paid her hush money yet.  The payment did come through, but it would have been interesting to see what happened if it didn't.

Parrotguy, if you wish, here's a little extra something you might want to use...Cheesy
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #237 on: March 04, 2018, 12:33:37 AM »

FF timeline
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #238 on: March 04, 2018, 10:18:50 AM »

Here's an interesting story:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/days-before-the-election-stormy-daniels-threatened-to-cancel-deal-to-keep-alleged-affair-with-trump-secret/2018/03/02/770a446a-1d9b-11e8-8a2c-1a6665f59e95_story.html?utm_term=.2d64e587c9fb

Apparently, Stormy Daniels was planning to go public about the affair just before Election Day because she hadn't been paid her hush money yet.  The payment did come through, but it would have been interesting to see what happened if it didn't.

Parrotguy, if you wish, here's a little extra something you might want to use...Cheesy

This is interesting... thanks, might be useful  Wink
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #239 on: March 09, 2018, 08:24:46 AM »

October 19th, 2016

Final debate sees three Presidential nominees spar for the first and last time; Obama narrowly considered victor, Huntsman regarded well by watchers

LAS VEGAS - For the first time since Ross Perot's participation in debates back in 2016, the third and final Presidential debate of the 2016 election included a third candidate, as Democratic nominee Barack Obama, Republican nominee Donald Trump and independent Jon Huntsman sparred in Nevada University, Las Vegas. With voter participation increasing as election day comes closer, and because of the historical occassion, the third debate surpassed the highest viewership ratings to date, garnering 88 million viewers and breaking a high point of 84 million set by the first debate of the same season.

With this debate done, the campaign season is now expected to be filled with rallies and appearances of the candidates and their surrogates. The Obama campaign is hoping to ride debate victories, Trump scandals and Republican vote-splitting to an electoral landslide, and is, indeed, looking favoured to do so at the moment. Let's look at a few key moments from the debate, as always:

Chris Wallace: "Alright, let's move on to the next topic, one that probably divides the three of you more than anything else- immigration. Mr. Trump, you want to build a wall and called for mass deportations. Governor Huntsman, you want more border security mixed with reform to give a pathway to legalization for immigrants already here. President Obama, you didn't offer a specific plan for securing our southern border, but offered an immigration reform which will give a path to citizenship. So, let's go in this order- please tell the American people why is your immigration plan the correct one. Mr. Trump?"
Donald Trump: "I'm so glad you asked that. I'm so glad, because both of my opponents are absolutely disastrous on immigration. Both of them. They want to give amnesty, which is very unfair to people waiting in lines for many, many years. In the audience tonight we have mothers of, you know, unbelieveable Americans who were killed brutally by people who came here illegaly. And they want to give them amnesty? We need strong borders, and President Obama doesn't stand for it, Governor Huntsman doesn't stand for it. The border - as you know, the Border Patrol agents, 16,500 - plus ICE last week, endorsed me. First time they've ever endorsed a candidate. It means their job is tougher. But they know what's going on. They know it better than anybody. They want strong borders. They feel we have to have strong borders. There's also the - you know, I've been to New Hampshire last week, I've been to Ohio, and the biggest complaint they have are the horrible, horrible drugs, the heroin pouring in from our southern border and poisoning our youth, killing them. We need to stop this, and President Obama has done nothing to stop it. And to do this, we need to build the wall. Now, I want to build the wall. We need the wall. And Mexico is going to pay for the wall. The Border Patrol, ICE, they all want the wall. We stop the drugs. We shore up the border. One of my first acts will be to get all of the drug lords, all of the bad ones -- we have some bad, bad people in this country that have to go out. We're going to get them out; we're going to secure the border. And once the border is secured, at a later date, we'll make a determination as to the rest. But we have some bad hombres here, and we're going to get them out."
Jon Huntsman: "You know, I'm hearing my party's nominee speaking here, and I'm speechless. I want to tell everyone- the Republican party doesn't stand for these values. We don't stand for mass deportations, we don't stand for tearing families apart, we don't stand for insulting millions of Americans like Mr. Trump just did with his last sentence. That's why I'm running in this election- to give the American people a choice, a sane, compassionate conservative choice. Now, there is something me and Mr. Trump agree about- we need more border security, we need to stop illegal immigration, and by god, we need to stop this horrible opioid epidemic ravaging our country. President Obama has not done enough to counter these problems, and it caused many problems. Now, Donald Trump's plan will simply not work- building a wall might sound nice, but it literally doesn't work. You have a huge border to the south, spanning many of our states, and a wall is going to be simply too impractical, too costly, and very much ineffective. As someone who has background in business without... without, you know, constantly filing for bankruptcy, I can tell you that this is something which is very inefficient and unproductive. What I suggest is more funding for our border security, more people at the border, more effectiv ways to spot illegal immigrants trying to cross over and turn them back, or arrest them if they're trying to transport drugs. This is how we will secure our border, not some magical wall, which, by the way, Mexico will never pay for. But we also need to be compassionate- you know, we're all humans. We all love our family, we all want them to have a better life. So for the immigrants already in our country, who already have families and lives here- we must find ways to slowly integrate them into the American way of life and yes, in the end, find a way for them to be citizens. We do need to deport people who just came here, or people who cause problems and don't obey the law, but we can't have mass deportations in America. This is simply not our way. I mean, gosh, there are children who spent practically their entire life here. If Mr. Trump wants to deport these children, these teenagers... this is not being conservative. This is being cruel."
Barack Obama: "Look, there is something simple we all need to remember. What Donald Trump wants to do here, these mass deportations of every single undocumented immigrant-"
Donald Trump: "I don't want that. Don't lie."
Barack Obama: "You didn't? Well, let's see the fact-checkers getting to work. Donald Trump said, as recently as a few weeks ago in Phoenix, that every undocumented person would be subject to deportation. Now, here's what that means. We have 11 million undocumented people. They have 4 million American citizen children, 15 million people. It means you would have to have a massive law enforcement presence, where law enforcement officers would be going school to school, home to home, business to business, rounding up people who are undocumented. And we would then have to put them on trains, on buses to get them out of our country. Do you understand how this sounds? It's a disaster. This is not who we are as a nation, this is not America, which was founded as a nation for refugees and immigrants seeking a better life: 'Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.' Donald Trump's reactionary idea would rip our country apart. Now, we need to enforce security in our border too, that is correct, and I have suggested a comprehensive immigration reform already, which increases funding for border security to combat drug trafficking and illegal immigration, and at the same time, finally gives thousands of families which work hard and live hard, striving for the American dream, a path to become a productive part of this country. The Republican majority in congress, which Governor Huntsman doesn't seem to have any problem with, refused this time and again. In my next term, with a Democratic majority, we're going to get this done. In fact, this will be on the top of my agenda in the first 100 days. It's time to finally have immigration reform."

Chris Wallace: "This is the final time, probably to both of your delight, Mr. Trump and Mr. President, and to your disappointment, Mr. Huntsman, that you're going to be on a stage together in this campaign. I would like to end it on a positive note. You had not agreed to closing statements, but it seems to me in a funny way that might make it more interesting because you haven't prepared closing statements. So I'd like you each to take - and we're going to put a clock up - a minute, as the final question in the final debate, to tell the American people why they should elect you to be the next president. This is another new mini-segment. President Obama, it's your turn to go first, followed by Governor Huntsman and Mr. Trump."
Barack Obama: "Thank you very much for this question, Chris. I want to talk to the American people tonight- all of them, men and women, white or black, heterosexual or LGBTQ, Democratc, Republicans and Independents. For the last eight years, we've made tremendous progress- we've restored our economy, brought unemployment to a historic low which is just getting lower, we've finally secured healthcare for hundreds of thousands of Americans who simply couldn't afford it. But we still have a lot left to do. We need to get healthcare coverage for everyone, we need to help students with their huge debts, we need to secure equal rights and opportunity for everyone, we need to reform our immigration system, we need to protect our environment, we need to save our industrial areas and bring new jobs to them, and so much more. I want to work with you- all of you, even those who don't intend to vote for me- to make our country the best place to live in the world. So all I ask you today is this- no matter who are you voting for, come out and vote in November 8th. We need you to participate in our democracy. Thank you, and god bless the United States of America."
Jon Huntsman: "Thank you for this question, Chris. Now, today was the first time the American people see me debating, and I hope I left a good impression. I want to tell all of you, Americans from all stripes and colours and party affiliations, that they have a sane choice in this election. A choice for sensible progress and reform, for responsible fiscal policy which will finally stop the bloating of our national debt, a choice for a strong but careful foreign policy that we've been lacking for the last sixteen years. The Republican party nominated an extremist, a man who has shown himself as morally and temprementally unfit to be President, and the Democratic party nominated a President who already served two terms, and now wants to set a dangerous precedent and serve three. We need change, folks, and not just in our leadership, but in our very system- the two-party system, which failed us again and again with bad choices that didn't give voice to the majority of Americans. I am that voice. Thank you, and may god bless America."
Donald Trump: "Folks, for the last decades, we've been run by the political establishment, people who want the status quo and don't want change. I'm going to bring change, and they don't like it. They don't. You've seen how all these people, Romney and Kasicha and McCain and their ilk, run to the first candidate who offers to keep them in power, Huntsman, who doesn't stand for the American people. With the help of this establishment, we've been ripped off for years by China and Mexico, our jobs and money have been taken from us. No more, folks, no more. When I started this campaign, I started it very strongly. It's called 'Make America Great Again'. We're going to make America great. We have a depleted military. It has to be helped, has to be fixed. We have the greatest people on Earth in our military. We don't take care of our veterans. We take care of illegal immigrants, people that come into the country illegally, better than we take care of our vets. That can't happen. Our policemen are disrespected. We need law and order, but we need justice, too. Our inner cities are a disaster. You get shot walking to the store. They have no education. They have no jobs. I will do more for African-Americans and Latinos than President Obama can ever do in 10 lifetimes. All he's done is talk to the African-Americans and to the Latinos, but they get the vote, and then they come back, they say, we'll see you in four years. We are going to make America strong again, and we are going to make America great again, and it has to start now. We cannot take four more years of Barack Obama, who's been one of the worst Presidents, and that's what you'll get if you elect either of these men."

In the final debate, all three candidates had their good moments. While Barack Obama performed solidly once again, Jon Huntsman was very successful in introducing himself to Americans while getting in jabs on both of his opponents. Even Trump performed better than before, managing to refain from gaffes and from unnecessary attacks, and presenting himself as the outsider in front of two insiders. The polls showed a narrow win for the President:

Who do you think won the third Presidential debate?
Barack Obama- 34%
Jon Huntsman- 31%
Donald Trump- 29%
Unsure\Tie- 6%
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #240 on: March 09, 2018, 09:39:21 AM »

Pumped!
OSR STANDS WITH PALESTINE
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #241 on: March 09, 2018, 09:53:03 AM »

Calling it-Trump wins in a surprise
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #242 on: March 09, 2018, 10:20:07 AM »

No it’s gonna be a Huntsman landslide.
President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #243 on: March 09, 2018, 12:31:04 PM »

No it’s gonna be a Huntsman landslide.
Oh, come on, guys. Everybody knows it's gonna be Jeb!.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #244 on: March 14, 2018, 11:25:04 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2018, 06:49:14 AM by Parrotguy »

October 23rd, 2016

Candidates, surrogates swoop into swing states as election day comes near

TAMPA - Election day is a day over two weeks from now, and after getting out of the debate season the major candidates in the 2016 Presidential Election are now devoting all their time to rallies, campaign events and media appearances. All of them, in the recent days, have swooped into as many swing states as possible, holding as many campaign events as they could, and working hard to get the biggest crowds and traction they could manage. The candidates also campaigned with their best surrogates- in varying degrees. The nature of the surrogates and their involvements showed, in a way, the nature of the candidates, as did the swing states where the candidates visited.

Barack Obama campaigned with a wide array of surrogates, in a large and diverse number of states. The Obama campaign, which announced a 50-state strategy back in August, is encouraged by strong polling numbers and attempts to win as big a victory as possible, campaigning in swing states like Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio, North Carolina, New Hampshire, Nevada, Colorado and even making a few stops in traditionally Democratic states such as Wisconsin and Michigan. However, they also made stops in states which are usually Republican and are now close in the polls, such as Georgia, Arizona, Texas, Missouri and Indiana, where they hope not only to expand their electoral victory, but also push downballot Democrats over the edge. Along with President Obama campaigned popular surrogates such as First Lady Michelle Obama, Vice President Joe Biden (D-DE), Running Mate Tammy Baldwin (D-WI), former 2016 Primary rivals Hillary Clinton (D-NY) and Bernie Sanders (I-VT), and other popular politicians such as Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ), Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY), Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH), Senator Ben Nelson (D-FL), Fmr. Gov. Howard Dean (D-VT), Fmr. Vice President Al Gore and Fmr. President Bill Clinton.

Meanwhile, the Trump campaign focused on a narrower array of states, mostly ones they absolutely need to win the election. Most of all, Donald Trump campaigned heavily in Florida, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Arizona, Michigan, Wisconsin, New Hampshire, Ohio, Iowa, Indiana and Missouri. This is contrary to a promise he made to Republican voters, to expand the map to "places like New York and Rhode Island". And contrary to Obama's many surrogates, Trump prefers to do most of his rallies alone, with some involvement from local politicians. However, there are some Trump supporters who often campaign with him or for him, such as Running Mate Chris Christie, Fmr (R-NJ), Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R-NY), Senator Jeff Sessions (R-AL) and Governor Mike Pence (R-IN), who's facing Southbend Mayor Pete Buttigiege in a tight race for reelection, a race which was dubbed by Joe Biden, in a famous moment, some would say gaffe, when campaigning with Buttigieg in Indiana, as "the homosexual vs the homophobe".

Lastly, Jon Huntsman concentrates heavily on a few states where he's believed likely to win or get close- noteably, Utah, Idaho, Arizona and Wyoming- but also made stops in other states considered positive for his message such as Virginia, California, Florida, Minnesota, New Hampshire and Connecticut. He campaigned with running mate James Stavridis and with supporters who agreed to campaign with him like Mitt Romney (R-MA), Governor John Kasich (R-OH), Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC), Governor Brian Sandoval (R-NV) and others.

Barack Obama vs Donald Trump vs Jon Huntsman vs Gary Johnson vs Jill Stein (General)
Barack Obama- 46%  (-1)
Donald Trump- 31%  (+1)
Jon Huntsman- 19%  (+2)
Gary Johnson- 1%  (-1)
Jill Stein- 0%  (+-0)
Other/Undecided- 3%  (-1)
OBAMA +15
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #245 on: March 15, 2018, 04:34:11 AM »
« Edited: March 17, 2018, 03:43:36 PM by Parrotguy »

October 25th, 2016

Director Comey: 'FBI investigating newly-found Clinton emails'

WASHINGTON, D.C. - FBI Director James Comey announced today that a batch of new Clinton emails were found while agents were investigating a laptop belonging to Fmr. Rep. Anthony Weiner, who's investigated for sexting with a minor. According to a letter sent by Comey to Congress, the FBI will be investigating these emails in relation to the investigation into Hillary Clinton's use of a private email service, and thus the case was, for the moment, re-opened.

President Barack Obama, whose reelection campaign was endorsed by Clinton and who campaigned with her yesterday in New Hampshire, said in an official statement that "I respect the FBI investigation and will let it run its course before commenting officially." However, according to an Obama campaign insider, Clinton's campaign appearances will be "severely reduced" in the coming days, to the point of completely removing her from the campaign trail until "things get clearer". That is considered a safety measure as President Obama works to distance himself from Clinton's legal woes.

Republican nominee Donald Trump torched "crooked Hillary" on Twitter, calling her "the worse Secretary of State ever", and attacking Barack Obama in several media appearances for "very, very bad judgement". He also raised the possibility that Obama is "complicit", claiming that "either he doesn't know what the hell his people are doing or he knew and ignored Hillary's illegal bevaviour." Independent candidate Jon Huntsman wasn't as severe with his words, but called Clinton's behaviour "wrong", adding that "President Obama should've exercised better judgement." However, Trump running mate Chris Christie pointed out Huntsman's "hypocrisity" for campaigning with Former Secretary of State Colin Powell in the same day the news broke, "a man who acted exactly the same as Clinton."

Hillary Clinton's office refused a request for comment on the story.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #246 on: March 20, 2018, 03:31:48 PM »

November 1st, 2016

Adult movie star Stormy Daniels: 'I had an affair with Donald Trump'

NEW YORK CITY - In yet another bizarre turn of events in a unique election season, former adult movie star Stormy Daniels has revealed yesterday night that she, allededly had an affair with Republican nominee Donald Trump in the early 2000s. The reason for the sudden revelation? She signed an indisclousure agreement with Trump and his legal team, and they neglected to pay her the money in time.

The Trump campaign has firmly denied the allegations, with the candidate himself calling it a "COMPLETE LIE" in a recent tweet. Campaign Manager Kellyanne Conway said in a recent interview that the Daniels story was "just another lie, another attempt by a panicking establishment to disparage and discredit someone who's going to bring real change." Chief Campaign Strategist Steve Bannon went even further, calling it "a plot to undermine the victorious Trump campaign by the establishment and deep-state."

President Obama, the Democratic nominee, and Fmr. Ambassador Huntsman, the Independent Conservative candidate, have both refused to address the story, but supporters of both have not been so silent: Rep. Adam Schiffe (D-CA) called the Daniels story "another proof of the utterly terrible moral character of the Republican nominee", while Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) said that he's "sorry for Ms. Trump" and that the story "reflects very poorly on Trump."

With mess than a week to go until election day, the story isn't expected to harm Donald Trump too much, however, it certainly fouls a fairly good news week for him, in which the Clinton Email scandal got back in the headlines and indirectly harmed the Democratic Party's campaign.

Barack Obama- 46%  (+-0)
Donald Trump- 30%  (-1)
Jon Huntsman- 20%  (+1)
Gary Johnson- 1%  (+-0)
Jill Stein- 0%  (+-0)
Other/Undecided- 3%  (+-0)
OBAMA +16
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #247 on: March 20, 2018, 03:55:11 PM »

Wow, what a final few days. I hope Obama gets another term and Trump totally collapses. I'd be funny if Huntsman gets more votes than Trump in the end and finishes second. In any case, the Donald would blame Huntsman for taking away votes from him and claim he would have beaten Obama handily in a head-to-head matchup.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #248 on: March 23, 2018, 09:34:39 AM »
« Edited: March 23, 2018, 11:31:53 AM by Parrotguy »

November 6th, 2016

Final days before election: Trump rushed offstage in Nevada, Murkowski and Huntsman sweep through Alaska, Biden embarks on Midwestern trip, Comey closes Clinton case

ANCHORAGE - The final few days of the 2016 general election campaign were extremely eventful, a fitting end to an exciting and tumultous campaign season. All three candidates continued a spree of campaign events and rallies to try and fire up their voters and convince a few more undecided ones.

Republican Donald Trump, whose campaign suffered blow after blow in October and who seems very unlikely to win the election, continued holding large rallies with enthusiastic crowds everywhere he went. He paid heavy attention to the midwest and rustbelt, where he visited Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio, Indiana and Missouri in the span of three days, while also holding rallies in several other competitive states such as Arizona, Nevada, New Hampshire and Florida. One rally that went a bit wrong occured yesterday in Reno, Nevada- shouts of “he’s got a gun” prompted panic in the rally crowd and forced several secret service agents to rush the Republican nominee offstage, sparking further chaos. Three people were lightly injured by trampling. The man in question, who was wrestled down by several Trump supporters, did not in fact have a gun. Trump later thanked the secret service and used the occassion to promise that he will "MAKE AMERICA SAFE AND GREAT AGAIN".

Mr. Trump being rushed offstage in Reno, Nevada

Meanwhile, independent candidate Jon Huntsman employed a very different strategy. He held several events in Montana, Utah and Idaho, and then, for two days, from November 4th to November 5th, he spent all his time in one state- Alaska. He held more than a dozen rallies and events across the state, mostly with enthusiastic supporter Senator Lisa Murkowski, who's running for reelection against a pro-Trump Libertarian, but also with the state's independent Governor Bill Walker and with a more lukewarm supporter, Senator Dan Sullivan. At the same time, running mate James Stavridis held rallies in Arizona with Senator John McCain and in Colorado with Senator Cory Gardner. This underlines the strategy employed by Huntsman's campaign- he isn't going just for an impressive popular vote showing, but also for actually winning states, unlike Ross Perot's strong 3rd party bids in 1992 and 1996. The top targets are Utah, where Huntsman is considered heavily favoured, and other states where he's considered strong like Alaska, Montana, Arizona, New Hampshire, Idaho, Wyoming and Colorado.

Sen. Murkowski (R-AK) holding a rally with Fmr. Amb. Huntsman in Anchorage, Alaska

President Obama's campaign did not rest despite their strong polling. The President held events and rallies across the nation with surrogates and supporters- there was a clear attempt to expand the map, with more than five rallies in Texas and others in Indiana, Missouri, North Carolina and Arizona, while also paying frequent visite to the more traditional swing states. The President was also clearly trying to aid downballot Democrats, as campaign events in swing districts in California, New York, Pennsylvania, Florida, Maine, Minnesota and other states indicated. And in a surprise move, Vice President Joe Biden was sent on a long, three-day trip in the Midwest, coinciding with Trump's own trip, and held events in Iowa, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin (along with Obama's running mate, Senator Tammy Baldwin), Minnesota, Missouri and Indiana. The Biden trip, which included rallies with downballot candidates and an emotional visit to his birthtown of Scranton, Pennsylvania was considered a success and prompted many to believe that the Vice President should've stayed on the ticket.

Vice President Biden holding giving a speech in St. Louis, MO with Senate canddiate Jason Kander

Finally, today, the Democratic Party received good news, when FBI Director James Comey announced that the latest probe into newfound Clinton emails didn't discover anything new, and that the case was officially closed. The former Secretary of State said that she was "not surprised", and was even herded by the Obama campaign to a few victorious rallies in Pittsburgh, Miami and St. Louis. The speeches garnered large crowds of Clinton primary supporters who seemingly felt energized to vote by her support for the President. The former Secretary of State sees her formerly dismal approvals beginning to rise, and is currently standing at 41% approval and 53% disapproval.

Hillary Clinton giving a victorious speech in favour of President Obama after her vindication

Indeed, after these exciting few days, one thing is clear- the 2016 election is going to see very high turnout, with so many parts of the voting population feeling energized and enthusiastic to vote- progressives, minorities and liberals for Obama, moderates and independents for Huntsman and, indeed, many conservatives, immigration hawks and white working-class voters for Trump. The only ones who appear without a candidate to represent them are evangelicals and the Christian right, who dislike all three candidates, and are mostly considered likely to hold their noses for Trump.

razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #249 on: March 23, 2018, 10:02:30 AM »

Pumped!!!!!!! I've been loving this TL!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to: