Four More Years - a 2016 Election Timeline
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:49:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Four More Years - a 2016 Election Timeline
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Poll
Question: Who should Obama choose as his Running Mate?
Tim Kaine
Julian Castro
Tom Vilsack
Amy Klobucher
Kirsten Gillibrand
Al Franken
Jeff Merkley
John Hickenlooper
Martin Heinrich
WHO SHOULD TRUMP CHOOSE?
Newt Gingrich
Ben Carson
Chris Christie
Mary Fallin
Scott Brown
Marsha Blackburn
Mike Flynn
Jeff Sessions
Jim Webb
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Four More Years - a 2016 Election Timeline  (Read 56117 times)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2017, 05:59:38 AM »
« edited: October 13, 2017, 06:02:11 AM by Parrotguy »

February 28th, 2016

Obama faces fire in final pre-Super Tuesday debate

BIRMINGHAM - The fiery seventh Democratic debate, held in Birmingham, Alabama one day before Super Tuesday, it was clear who was the frontrunner. Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders mostly ignored each other, though the Vermond Senator did occasionally attack the former First Lady, and focused on the incumbent President who stood in the podium between them. But despite the attacks, Barack Obama managed to hold his own. Hillary Clinton hoped to have a breakthrough today and save her campaign in Super Tuesday, but it did not materialize. Here are a few key moments from the debate:

Chris Wallace: "Secretary Clinton, in conclusion, do you believe that you should've been chosen as the Democratic candidate in 2008? Would you do a better job than President Obama?"
Hillary Clinton: "Well, Chris, I do think that my friend Barack Obama has been an excellent President. He navigated through rough international waters, he brought healthcare to thousands of Americans, and I praise him for that. But I'll say this- I do think that he could've worked with Congress a bit better. The Republicans were obstructionists, of course, and I think they did a great disservice to the American people by refusing to cooperate or give a hearing to Justice Garland, for example. But I do think that the President could've done better in working with Congress, and I know how to work with the congressional Republicans."
Chris Wallace: "It's a yes or no question, Secretary. Would you or would you not do a better job than President Obama?"
Hillary Clinton: "Well, I think... there is very much a possibility that I would've done better with Congress. I think I would."
Barack Obama: "You know, Chris, I've been a Senator and a State Senator before that. Not for very long... but I've done the job. And I can tell you it's very different from the Presidency. As a Senator, you're a vote, and Republicans could try to work with you on the issues to get your vote, especially when they're the party in power, as they were when Secretary Clinton was a Senator. But as President, the current congressional Republican leadership targets you, and tries to obstruct and take down your Presidency. But I'm not complaining- I came to work, and I intend to work and make the lives of Americans better, and hopefully, next year, with a congressional majority!"

Bernie Sanders: "Me and the President are in agreement about many policies. This is true. But we also have many areas of disagreement, and this is where our movement comes in- for example, the President accepts donations from the top 1%, while I accept small donations, averaging 27$, from the 99%."
Barack Obama: "Uh, that's inaccurate, Senator. I have more than 800,000 donors, and I think you can agree that the majority of them are small donors, contributing small donations."
Bernie Sanders: "I know that, Mr. President, and I respect your small donors. But you have Super PACs, as well. When extraordinarily wealthy people make very large contributions to Super PACs, and in many cases in this campaign, Super PACs have raised more money than individual candidates have, OK? We had a decision to make early on, do we do a Super PAC? And, we said no. We don't represent Wall Street, we don't represent the billionaire class, so it ends up I'm the only candidate up here who has no Super PAC."
Barack Obama: "And I respect you, for that. I truly do. (APPLAUSE) Yes, that's right, Senator Sanders deserves this! He ran a great campaign that energized so many voters, and it's a very positive thing. But look, Super PACs have been a part of our process for long, and our campaign made the decision not to refuse the PACs that wanted to support us. But I agree that we need to reform our campaign finance system, and I hope to work with you on that in my third term!"

Who do you think won the seventh Democratic debate?
Barack Obama- 38%
Bernie Sanders- 30%
Hillary Clinton- 25%
Unsure- 7%
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2017, 06:56:20 AM »

March 1st, 2016

Candidates make last campaign appearances before Super Tuesday

ATLANTA - As voting begins in the various Super Tuesday states, the three Democratic contneders are making last appearances in states that they're targeting. While they did have more specific focuses, all three candidates are running ads and campaign events in practically every state that will be voting.

The target of each campaign today is quite different. Barack Obama needs to sweep a majority of states and delegates and show his strength in both the south and other areas of the country that will be voting today- he must come out the victor, and reaffirm himself as frontrunner. Meanwhile, Bernie Sanders needs to stage at least one or two upsets in states that polls aren't expecting him to win, and show that he has strength all accross the country. And finally, Hillary Clinton needs to win at least more states than Sanders, in order to keep her status as the main challenger to the incumbent President. Results coming this evening, stay tuned!

Barack Obama campaigning with First Lady Michelle Obama and Vice President Joe Biden in Houston, Texas

Bernie Sanders holding a campaign event in Boston, Massachusetts

Hillary Clinton holding a rally in Richmond, Virginia with Governor Terry McAuliffe (D-VA)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2017, 11:11:48 AM »
« Edited: October 13, 2017, 02:15:04 PM by Parrotguy »

March 2nd, 2016

SUPER TUESDAY RESULTS

RICHMOND - Last night, the campaigns of Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders were put into an ultimate test as results started pouring from Super Tuesday. Some of the states weren't close and the networks called them early, with one state, Vermont, being called for its Senator at poll closing time. But other states were tight and nerve-wrecking, and were only called this morning. In the end, this was a mixed night for both President Obama and Senator Sanders, with some disappointments but many successes. But it was a bad night for Secretary Clinton, who only won two states. Let's examine the results again:

Democratic Alabama Primary results, 100% counted:
Barack Obama- 49.1% (26 pledged delegates) ✓
Hillary Clinton- 34.5% (19 pledged delegates)
Bernie Sanders- 15.6% (8 pledged delegates)
Martin O'Malley- 0.5% (0 pledged delegates)
Rocky De La Fuente- 0.3% (0 pledged delegates)

Democratic American Samoa Caucuses results, 100% counted:
Barack Obama- 50.6% (4 pledged delegates) ✓
Hillary Clinton- 21.8% (1 pledged delegates)
Bernie Sanders- 20.4% (1 pledged delegates)
Rocky De La Fuente- 6.2% (0 pledged delegates)
Lincoln Chafee- 1.0% (0 pledged delegates)

Democratic Arkansas Primary results, 100% counted:
Hillary Clinton- 40.3% (14 pledged delegates) ✓
Barack Obama- 35.5% (11 pledged delegates)
Bernie Sanders- 20.8% (7 pledged delegates)
Others- 3.4% (0 pledged delegates)

Democratic Colorado Caucuses results, 100% counted:
Bernie Sanders- 41.3% (31 pledged delegates) ✓
Barack Obama- 33.4% (21 pledged delegates)
Hillary Clinton- 24.7% (14 pledged delegates)
Others- 0.6% (0 pledged delegates)

Democratic Georgia Primary results, 100% counted:
Barack Obama- 53.9% (54 pledged delegates) ✓
Hillary Clinton- 27.1% (29 pledged delegates)
Bernie Sanders- 18.7% (19 pledged delegates)
Others- 0.3% (0 pledged delegates)

Democratic Massachusetts Primary results, 100% counted:
Bernie Sanders- 36.8% (36 pledged delegates) ✓
Barack Obama- 36.2% (35 pledged delegates)
Hillary Clinton- 26.4% (20 pledged delegates)

Democratic Minnesota Caucuses results, 100% counted:
Bernie Sanders- 44.0% (35 pledged delegates) ✓
Barack Obama- 37.7% (29 pledged delegates)
Hillary Clinton- 18.3% (13 pledged delegates)
Others- 0.1% (0 pledged delegates)

Democratic Oklahoma Caucuses results, 100% counted:
Bernie Sanders- 45.1% (18 pledged delegates) ✓
Hillary Clinton- 25.9% (11 pledged delegates)
Barack Obama- 23.7% (9 pledged delegates)
Others- 4.3% (0 pledged delegates)

Democratic Tennessee Primary results, 100% counted:
Barack Obama- 39.5% (27 pledged delegates) ✓
Hillary Clinton- 35.9% (25 pledged delegates)
Bernie Sanders- 23.5% (15 pledged delegates)
Jim Webb- 1.1% (0 pledged delegates)

Democratic Texas Primary results, 100% counted:
Barack Obama- 43.2% (101 pledged delegates) ✓
Hillary Clinton- 35.7% (82 pledged delegates)
Bernie Sanders- 20.1% (39 pledged delegates)
Others- 1.0% (0 pledged delegates)

Democratic Vermont Primary results, 100% counted:
Bernie Sanders- 80.1% (16 pledged delegates) ✓
Barack Obama- 11.2% (0 pledged delegates)
Hillary Clinton- 8.5% (0 pledged delegates)
Others- 0.2% (0 pledged delegates)

Democratic Virginia Primary results, 100% counted:
Hillary Clinton- 36.3% (37 pledged delegates) ✓
Barack Obama- 35.8% (36 pledged delegates)
Bernie Sanders- 24.5% (22 pledged delegates)
Jim Webb- 3.4% (0 pledged delegates)

While Barack Obama's popularity with the African-American community brought him solid victories in the southern states of Alabama and Georgia, many other states in the south were considered battlegrounds that both he and Secretary Clinton contested.

In the delegate-rich state of Texas, the President received the endorsement of most of the congressial delegation and campaigned there with popular Texas Democrats, including the Castro brothers. This, despite Clinton's strength with the Hispanic community, netted him a strong win. In Tennessee, Barack Obama campaigned with Al Gore, and, combined with his strength with the African American community and Sanders winning many of the white voters that gave Clinton a victory here in 2008, allowed Obama to take Tennessee this time around. Clinton only won Arkansas, where she was First Lady, and narrowly took Virginia, where she campaigned with Governor Terry McAuliffe, one of her earliest endorsers.

But outside of the south, Bernie Sanders sweeped all the states. He proved his strength in caucus states by taking strong wins in Oklahoma, Minnesota and Colorado, and won an overwhelming landslide in his home state of Vermont, but his most surprising victory was the one in Massachussetts. There, he managed to win young, progressive voters and narrowly defeat Barack Obama, taking a plurality. This is considered another instance where the Obama-Clinton split of the establishment vote resulted in a victory for Bernie Sanders.

Following the Super Tuesday results, Senator Sanders is sure to continue his insurgent campaign and attempt to influence the Democratic agenda, maybe even win the nomination. The incumbent President, who solidified himself as the frontrunner last night, is also sure to remain in the race, but after winning only two states, Hillary Clinton's future is uncertain, and this morning, she flew back to her campaign HQ in New York City. When asked for comment, campaign spokesperson Howard Wolfson said that "the Secretary returned to New York to rest after spirited campaigning".
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2017, 05:28:57 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2017, 05:31:57 AM by Parrotguy »

The data was flashing on the screen before his eyes. Robby Mook tried to make out something positive out of it. Some hope to cling to.

The next states to vote were Kansas, Nebraska and Louisiana. In the former two, Bernie was leading. In the latter, Obama. Hillary was third in all three. He tried to look at some of the later states. Obama leading in California and Maryland, Bernie leading in Pennsylvannia and Ohio... Heh, at least we're leading New York and New Jersey. Narrowly. Jesus... Bernie won his home state by almost 70%, and Obama is leading in his by landslide margins. And we're going to lose New York if this trend continues. Jesus...

The Campaign Manager sighed and closed the window of state polling. But national polling was showing an even bleaker picture- after Super Tuesday, Bernie passed Hillary and was now consistently second in the polls. Hillary was in the high 20s. Of course, they weren't going to release these internal polls to the media, but someone was bound to, eventually.

He looked at his Email. A new poll from PPP, soon to be released. When he saw the numbers, a few very inappropriate words for an election forum passed in Robby's mind. Obama 43%, Bernie 31%, Hillary 22%, Undecided 4%. Roby started to hate emails- recently, all they brought was bad news.

Someone knocked at his door. He sighed and turned away from the screen. "Yes?"

It was Stephanie [Hannon, Chief Technology Officer of the Clinton campaign]. "Robby..." She said quietly. Nothing could be discerned in her still face. "She wants to see us. Down in the conference room."

Robby gulped nervously. Hillary was huddled with her close circle ever since Super Tuesday. He nodded and stood up, following Stephanie down the stairs.

The conference room was so quiet, it could be mistaken for a mourning room. Everyone was sitting there- Hillary at the head of the table, Bill beside her. Huma was there too, of course, as was John [Podesta]. And when he saw their faces, grim and somber, the Campaign Manager knew what it meant.

"It's over, isn't it?"
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2017, 05:31:11 AM »

#Obama2016
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2017, 07:43:17 AM »

The phone rang right when they were in the middle of a strategy session.

Everyone turned to look at Campaign Manager Jim Messina. He looked embarrassed. "Go on," Barack told him. "Let's see who this is."

Jim checked the phone, and his eyes grew wide when he looked down on the screen. "Robby Mook. Wow."

Now the President's interest was piqued, as was the interest of everyone else in the room. "Answer it!" Joe said excitedly, leaning forward.

The Campaign Manager nodded. He turned on the speaker mode and answered. "Jim Messina speaking. Yes?"

"Hello." Robby Mook's voice was flat. "Hillary is going to suspend tomorrow."

Everyone in the room smiled at the same time. Deval raised a thumb, grinning. "We're going to win this now," he whispered.

"That's good, it's time to unite the party." Jim replied formally. "Thank you for letting us know."

"There's more," Robby added hastily before his fellow Campaign Manager could end the call. "Do you want her to endorse you in the speech?"

That one was a shocker. The room grew quiet, as everyone took in the news. "Wait a moment, Robby. Let me just speak to the President and the others." He silenced the phone and looked up. "Well, this was unexpected."

"We should probably accept." Deval scratched his chin. "With Hillary's supporters, we'll have an insurmountable lead against Bernie."

"Yeah," Joe urged him, "let her endorse you and campaign for you. We need to put this primary behind us."

"Do we, though?" David Axelrod wondered aloud. Everyone looked at him in surprise. "If Hillary endorses us... sure, we'll win the primary easily. But it can alienate the Bernie supporters. These guys don't like Hillary, and she's very unpopular with the general electorate after this email thing. Once she endorses us, we'll forever have the label of establishment candidates. We don't need her endorsement- we can win this easily, anyway. And that way, with Hillary's endorsement unknown, they'll have an easier time uniting behind us in the General."

The President thought about it for a few moments. If Hillary endorsed him now, about 20% of the Democratic electorate, her loyal core supporters, would flock to him, and if you add that to Barack's current numbers, Bernie would lose almost every state. Winning the primary right now, putting the challenge away and focusing on the general... it was tempting. But David's words made sense. He reached a decision, and looked at Jim.

"Tell him not yet."

You must be logged in to read this quote.

America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2017, 08:19:57 AM »

March 4th, 2016

BREAKING: Hillary Clinton suspends her campaign, makes no endorsement

NEW YORK CITY - After a disappointing showing in Super Tuesday, Hillary Clinton shook the politican world by announcing that she's suspending her campaign in front of a crowd of supporters in Brooklyn, New York. With husband Bill Clinton, daughter Chelsea and son-in-law Marc Mezvinsky standing behind her, the former Secretary of State thanked her supporters and spoke about gender issues and sounded like someone who's ending her political career, conceding that "someone else" will break the glass ceiling.

Noteably, Clinton didn't make any endorsement in her speech- she was expected by most pundits to endorse the incumbent President in an attempt to end the primaries, but this did not seem to happen. She only told supporters that they should "remain engaged and support the candidate who speaks to you in tone and policy", and urged them to vote for whoever wins the Democratic nomination in the general elction so that America can "continue the progress". When asked who does the former First Lady support, Campaign Chair John Podesta said that "what Secretary Clinton said yesterday speaks for itself".

The Obama campaign, nonetheless, is expected to benefit from this the most, with the establishment vote no longer split and progressives finding him much more paltable than Clinton. Polls showed that as many as two-thirds of Clinton's supporters had Obama as their second choice. Still, Sanders vowed in a rally today to "continue and fight the broken political system", and is expected to remain a strong challenger to President Obama.

This is the current state of the race:

Democratic Primaries

American Samoa
Guam
Northern Mariana Islands
US Virgin Islands
Democrats Abroad

Barack Obama- 416 pledged delegates
Hillary Clinton- 312 pledged delegates
Bernie Sanders- 293 pledged delegates
Others- 0 pledged delegates
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2017, 11:39:39 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2017, 11:44:20 AM by Parrotguy »

March 5th, 2016

Obama wins Louisiana, Nebraska; Sanders wins Kansas

OMAHA - It was a good day for Barack Obama. The incumbent President was expected to easily win Louisiana, and he did, but he also managed to exceed expectations and narrowly win the state of Nebraska, where polling showed Senator Sanders winning. The Independent Vermont Senator only won in Kansas.

Democratic Louisiana Primary results, 100% counted:
Barack Obama- 71.4% (40 pledged delegates) ✓
Bernie Sanders- 16.7% (11 pledged delegates)
Hillary Clinton: 8.2% (0 pledged delegates)
Others- 2.7% (0 pledged delegates)

Democratic Nebraska Caucuses results, 100% counted:
Barack Obama- 49.5% (13 pledged delegates) ✓
Bernie Sanders- 48.3% (12 pledged delegates)
Hillary Clinton- 2.2% (0 pledged delegates)
Others- 0% (0 pledged delegates)

Democratic Kansas Caucuses results, 100% counted:
Bernie Sanders- 57.6% (20 pledged delegates) ✓
Barack Obama- 38.0% (13 pledged delegates)
Hillary Clinton- 4.4% (0 pledged delegates)
Others- 0% (0 pledged delegates)

It's interesting to look at the county map of the Nebraska caucuses:

As we can see, Bernie Sanders did very well in rural counties, normally radically conservative, sweeping most of the Nebraska panhandle and the Rainwater Basin. Unlike six years ago, when Obama managed to defeat another candidate who did well in rural areas, Hillary Clinton, by a big margin thanks to overwhelming victories in urban centers, this time, Sanders kept it close by only narrowly losing urban counties. In Douglas, the county containing Omaha, Obama defeated him only 51.7%-48.3%, while in Lancastar, the county containing state capital Lincoln, It came to a few hundreds of votes, and Obama edged out Sanders by 50.03%-49.97%. Nonetheless, Sanders was expected to do better today, and the narrow loss in Nebraska comes as a disappointment.

The current state of the race:

Democratic Primaries

American Samoa
Guam
Northern Mariana Islands
US Virgin Islands
Democrats Abroad

Barack Obama- 482 pledged delegates
Bernie Sanders- 336 pledged delegates
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2017, 06:09:13 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2017, 04:28:55 AM by Parrotguy »

March 6th, 2016

Obama, Sanders exchange fire in eighth Democratic debate as results from Maine Caucuses come in

FLINT - It was a very eventful night for the Democrats. In a debate hosted by the city where an ongoing water crisis was blamed on the Republicans, who hold Congress and the Governor's Mansion in Flint, Obama and Sanders sparred on a large variety of issues, including foreign policy, trade and campaign finance reform. Noteably, Barack Obama came out in defence of the TPP, and is expected to work on changing the public opinion on it. But on one issue they fully agreed- the Republicans botched handling of the Flint Water Crisis. But there was another major event today for the Democrats.

Democratic Maine Caucuses results, 100% counted:
Bernie Sanders- 60.4% (15 pledged delegates) ✓
Barack Obama- 37.9% (10 pledged delegates)
Hillary Clinton- 1.6% (0 pledged delegates)
Uncommited- 0.1% (0 pledged delegates)

Near the end of the debate, moderator Anderson Cooper announced that CNN has called the Maine Caucuses for Senator Bernie Sanders, and by a substantial margin as well. This call brought an interesting moment, when the lose of the Caucuses, President Obama, had to comment on the results when standing by the victor, Senator Sanders. Let's look at a few highlights:

Bernie Sanders: "Me and the President agree on many issues, but there is one thing that his administration is doing, one thing I really can't support. And this is the TPP trade agreement. It's a disastrous policy that makes outsourcing jobs to countries with problematic labour laws awfully easy, and it hurts the working class."
Barack Obama: "I believe that this is a major issue where populist rhetoric has really distorted the facts. This is an agreement with countries like Canada, Mexico, Japan and Australia, countries with good labour laws, that promotes lowering costs, lowering poverty, and yes, it promotes the creation of jobs, in all the countries signing it, in the U.S. as well. This agreement has binding, enforceable obligations on signing countries to protect labour unions and to eliminate exploitative child labor, to eliminate forced labor, to protect against employment discrimination. Without this agreemet, we're ceding the trade market around the Pacific Ocean to China. We're letting them lead the global economy. Do we want that? No, we do not, because China doesn't have the same standards as we do. This is an agreement that will improve the lives of so many people, both in America and outside it, and I'm fully ready to defend it."

Woman in the audience: "Mr. President, you've been in office for eight years, all throughout the water crisis here, but it's still happening. Don't you have some of the blame for it?"
Barack Obama: "Thank you for this question. Well, the way I see it, this is one of the worse sanitarian crises in recent years in our country. It's terrible- people shouldn't be so exposed to poison, they shouldn't fear a shower or a glass of water. And I've tried to do what I can to fix the water supply here, but in order for this to happen, we need the Republican Congress to approve federal funding for this crisis, and we need Governor Snyder to start taking it seriously. What we see here is a result of the myth Republican politicians believe in, that the government is a negative force that shouldn't get involved, and of racism still deep-rooted in our society. We will do everything we can for Flint, and once again, I urge congress for action."

Anderson Cooper: "Hold on, mr. President, Senator. We have a major call to make here on CNN- Bernie Sanders, standing here on this stage tonight, is the victor of the Maine Caucuses, defeating the other man on the stage by more than 20%. Senator?"
Bernise Sanders: (Grinning) "Well, I want to thank the people of Maine so much for their support. It means the world to me, and I hope we can continue forward with changing our broken political system and our economy so that they benefit everyone, not just the top 1%. Clearly, the people of Maine believe in that."
Anderson Cooper: "President Obama? Do you want to respond to that loss tonight? Clearly, Senator Sanders is beating you, an incumbent President, in many rural, working-class areas. Why is that?"
Barack Obama: "Well, uh, first of all, I want to thank my voters in Maine as well. I promise that we will go forward and that I will not disappoint you. And I want to thank Senator Sanders' voters as well, and everyone else who engaged in the Caucuses. You're what's moving our great democracy. Now, as for the question, I do see the Senator's strong performance in these areas, and it's clear to me that his message is resounding with voters there. I take this to heart, and I promise you- in the general election, I will do my best to speak about the issues that matter to these voters, and about the ways to solve them, about many of which I am in agreement with Senator Sanders."

Who do you think won the eighth Democratic debate?
Barack Obama- 56%
Bernie Sanders- 36%
Unsure- 8%

Democratic Primary (National)-
Barack Obama- 55%  (+17)
Bernie Sanders- 38%  (+11)
Undecided- 7%  (+2)

Democratic Primary (Michigan)-
Barack Obama- 53%
Bernie Sanders- 41%
Undecided- 6%

Democratic Primary (Mississipi)-
Barack Obama- 78%
Bernie Sanders- 18%
Undecided- 4%

Democratic Primary (Florida)-
Barack Obama- 61%
Bernie Sanders- 34%
Undecided- 5%

Democratic Primary (Illinois)-
Barack Obama- 74%
Bernie Sanders- 23%
Undecided- 3%

Democratic Primary (Missouri)-
Bernie Sanders- 47%
Barack Obama- 46%
Undecided- 7%

Democratic Primary (North Carolina)-
Barack Obama- 59%
Bernie Sanders- 36%
Undecided- 5%

Democratic Primary (Ohio)-
Barack Obama- 54%
Bernie Sanders- 42%
Undecided- 4%
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2017, 04:37:01 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2017, 05:39:21 AM by Parrotguy »

March 8th, 2016

Obama wins Mississippi, Michigan, Sanders considerably outperforms Michigan polling

LANSIG - A good night for the Obama campaign, as the incumbent President managed to win both primaries held today, in deep southern Mississippi and in midwestern Michigan. Sanders was hoping for an upset in Michigan, but though he almost achieved it, keeping the state surprisingly close and outperforming his polls by close to 10%, Obama clinched the victory here in the end.

Pundits are speculating that the polling in Michigan was so far away from the actual result because the pollsters were using erroneous assumptions about the composition of the electorate from the 2008 contest, which had very low participation because the state wasn't worth any delegates, after a dispute with the DNC.

Sanders' surprisingly strong performance is attributed to his powerful showing with rural voters, as well as with factory workers who are hostile to the trade deals championed by the President- Sanders won white voters, who made up more than 70% of the electorate, by a 52-45 margin. But in the end, Obama's landslide margin with African-Americans and his big victories in urband areas such as Flint and Detroit (attributed by some to him saving the auto industry in that city), allowed him to take a narrow win.

Democratic Mississippi Primary results, 100% counted:
Barack Obama- 85.7% (36 pledged delegates) ✓
Bernie Sanders- 11.4% (0 pledged delegates)
Hillary Clinton: 2.3% (0 pledged delegates)

Democratic Michigan Primary results, 100% counted:
Barack Obama- 49.8% (67 pledged delegates) ✓
Bernie Sanders- 48.5% (63 pledged delegates)
Others- 0.9% (0 pledged delegates)
Hillary Clinton: 0.8% (0 pledged delegates)

State of the race:

Democratic Primaries

American Samoa
Guam
Northern Mariana Islands
US Virgin Islands
Democrats Abroad

Barack Obama- 595 pledged delegates
Bernie Sanders- 414 pledged delegates
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2017, 05:27:10 AM »

March 9th, 2016

Sanders, Obama participate in ninth Democratic debate

MIAMI - In a debate sponsored by Washington Post and Univision, with Spanish-speaking moderators, President Barack Obama and his challenger, Senator Bernie Sanders, sparred in a contentious debate. They discussed issues like immigration reform, the environment and many other issues, and according to post-debate polls, no one managed to win the debate, with both candidates performing well. Let's look at a few key moments in the debate:

Moderator: So in conclusion, would it be fair to call Donald Trump a racist?
Bernie Sanders: "Look, this man's rhetoric is terrible. The way he speaks about Hispanics, about women, about African Americans... the fact that he was leading the birther movement, it's deploreable, and I'm pleased to be leading him by close to 20% in the polls. My father was a Polish immigrant, so I know a little bit about the immigrant experience. And I was never asked to show my birth certificate- maybe because of the colour of my skin."
Barack Obama: "I'm absolutely in agreement with the Senator here. I hope that Donald Trump will not be the Republican nominee, because even the chance of him becoming President is bizarre, but if he will, we will stand against all of this rhetoric of his."

Moderator: "President Obama, the question was... the question was, so why did you not pass immigration reform in these 8 years, after promising it so much?"
Barack Obama: "In short? The Republican congress. In length? We've tried, many times, to pass comprehensive immigration reform. We worked with Republicans, such as the Band of Eight, but every time, the hardline GOP Congressmen derail our work with their inflammatory comment and their incitement against immigrants. We actually came close in 2007, when we were ready to pass a bill sponsored by Ted Kennedy, with support from both Democrats and Republicans, but in the end, it failed because of hardliners from the left and from the right who voted against it, including Senator Sanders."
Bernie Sanders: "I remember this bill, and I remember why I voted against it. This bill had a guest worker provision that allowed near-slavery, and I couldn't, in good concsiousness, vote for it."
Barack Obama: "Well, first of all, near-slavery is a very far-fetched way to put it. Second-
 was this bill perfect? No. Was it our best chance to pass a comprehensive reform? Yes. We will work on it in my next term, and I hope tha Senator Sanders will work with us then."

Who won the ninth Democratic debate?
Barack Obama- 45%
Bernie Sanders- 43%
Unsure- 12%

Democratic Primary (National)-
Barack Obama- 56%  (+1)
Bernie Sanders- 38%  (+-0)
Undecided- 6%  (-1)

Democratic Primary (Florida)-
Barack Obama- 62%  (+1)
Bernie Sanders- 33%  (-1)
Undecided- 5%  (+-0)

Democratic Primary (Illinois)-
Barack Obama- 73%  (-1)
Bernie Sanders- 22%  (-1)
Undecided- 5%  (+2)

Democratic Primary (Missouri)-
Bernie Sanders- 47%  (+-0)
Barack Obama- 47%  (+1)
Undecided- 6%  (-1)

Democratic Primary (North Carolina)-
Barack Obama- 61%  (+2)
Bernie Sanders- 35%  (-1)
Undecided- 4%  (-1)

Democratic Primary (Ohio)-
Barack Obama- 52%  (-2)
Bernie Sanders- 44%  (+2)
Undecided- 4%  (+-0)

Barack Obama vs Donald Trump (General)
Barack Obama- 56%
Donald Trump- 33%
Other/Undecided- 11%

Bernie Sanders vs Donald Trump (General)
Bernie Sanders- 53%
Donald Trump- 34%
Other/Undecided- 13%
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2017, 05:51:22 AM »

March 12th, 2016

Candidates campaign in Mega Tuesday state; Obama wins Northern Mariana Islands

COLUMBUS - As the March 15 contests, dubbed Super Tuesday II or Mega Tuesday, get closer, the campaigns of the Democratic candidates, Barack Obama and Bernie Sanders, are canvassing them with rallies and ads.

While the President's home state, Illinois, is not considered competitive, Sanders is heavily campaigning in the other states, focusing on Ohio and Missouri, where the electorate was shown to be friendly to him, but also investing in Florida, though the polls don't seem good for him there. They're employing their strongest surrogates and heaviest guns in these states, and at times, it seems like these are the deciding contests of the race.

Bernie Sanders campaigning in Cleveland, Ohio with Rep. Marcy Kaptur (D-OH)

President Obama and Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL) campaigning in Orlando

Meanwhile, Barack Obama achieved a large victory in the Caucuses of Northern Mariana Islands, an American territory:

Democratic Northern Mariana Islands Caucuses results, 100% counted:
Barack Obama- 59.1% (4 pledged delegates) ✓
Bernie Sanders- 28.5% (2 pledged delegates)
Rocky De La Fuente: 12.4% (0 pledged delegates)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2017, 07:07:24 AM »

March 15th, 2016

Obama sweeps most four out of five contests, proclaims victory

CHICAGO - The current trends in the Democratic primaries seem to continue. While Obama won tonight very large victory in states with large minority populations, Sanders overperformed his polls in rustbelt states, where white working-class voters are the majority of the electorate. But in the end, the incumbent President is considered the victory tonight- he won landslide victories in three states, kept a narrow lead in Ohio, where his strength with urban and minority voters gave him a commanding victory, and only narrowly Missouri, where Sanders won strong margins with white working-class voters.

With age groups, the Presidnet continued winning old voters, which, among other factors, gave him his landslide in Florida. Young voters seem torn- both Obama and Sanders are popular among them, but Sanders won them narrowly tonight, 52-47. Noteable, first-time voters go for Sanders overwhelmingly, while older but still young voters, who voted for Obama in his 2008 and 2012 campaigns, are going for the President. These wins give Obama, according to our count, an almost insurmountable delegate lead.

In his victory speech before a large crowd in Chicago, Obama proclaimed that "we've almost won the Democratic, and we will continue winning more and more states, but it's time to look forward- let's win this election, and defeat the radical, obstructionist agenda of the Republican Part". Indeed, the entire tone of his speech seemed to be focusing on the general election, targeting Donald Trump, Ted Cruz and the Republican establishment. Meanwhile, Bernie Sanders thanked his supporters and promised to "go forward and bring our message to everyone". Let's review the results tonight:

Democratic Florida Primary results, 100% counted:
Barack Obama- 68.2% (151 pledged delegates) ✓
Bernie Sanders- 28.4% (63 pledged delegates)
Hillary Clinton: 3.1% (0 pledged delegates)
Others- 0.2% (0 pledged delegates)

Democratic Illinois Primary results, 100% counted:
Barack Obama- 80.9% (127 pledged delegates) ✓
Bernie Sanders- 17.8% (29 pledged delegates)
Others- 1.3% (0 pledged delegates)

Democratic Missouri Primary results, 100% counted:
Bernie Sanders- 50.6% (37 pledged delegates) ✓
Barack Obama- 48.7% (34 pledged delegates)
Others- 0.7% (0 pledged delegates)

Democratic North Carolina Primary results, 100% counted:
Barack Obama- 64.6% (70 pledged delegates) ✓
Bernie Sanders- 34.8% (37 pledged delegates)

Democratic Ohio Primary results, 100% counted:
Barack Obama- 49.7% (73 pledged delegates) ✓
Bernie Sanders- 47.8% (70 pledged delegates)
Hillary Clinton- 2.0% (0 pledged delegates)
Rocky De La Fuente- 0.5% (0 pledged delegates)

Current state of the race:

Democratic Primaries

American Samoa
Guam
Northern Mariana Islands
US Virgin Islands
Democrats Abroad

Barack Obama- 1054 pledged delegates
Bernie Sanders- 652 pledged delegates
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2017, 08:11:20 AM »

Keep it up!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2017, 04:08:48 PM »

P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2017, 06:24:14 PM »

_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2017, 09:07:10 AM »

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2017, 02:55:23 PM »

West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2017, 04:23:32 PM »

Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2017, 10:17:52 PM »

At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2017, 10:53:15 PM »

America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2017, 05:39:56 AM »

Thanks everyone! Smiley New update in a few minutes. University is starting soon though, so I'll probably not be able to keep the same pace.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2017, 07:16:16 AM »

March 22th, 2016

Sanders wins Idaho, Utah; Obama takes Arizona

PHOENIX - As the Democratic race enters grounds more favourable to Senator Sanders, he seems to be doing well, as expected, in majority-white caucus states, while President Obama wins more minority-rich primary states. But while Sanders won two out of three states today, he won them by a smaller margin than expected and lost Arizona by a bigger one than the polls initially showed.

As polls show President Obama gaining popularity with both the Democrats and the general electorate, it seems like his party is finally starting to close ranks and the Vermont Independent Senator's insurgent campaign is starting to slip out of his hands. This is evident in the Democrats Abroad primary, the results of which we've received yesterday:

Democrats Abroad Primary results, 100% counted:
Barack Obama- 54.8% (8 pledged delegates) ✓
Bernie Sanders- 44.5% (5 pledged delegates)
Others- 0.7% (0 pledged delegates)

The survival of Bernie Sanders' campaign, according to experts and inside sources, seems to depend on the next few sets of primaries, starting from the three caucus states voting next week, Washington, Hawaii and Alaska, going through Wisconsin, and ending with the northeastern primaries, where he must perform well. However, it will not be easy- Sanders is favoured in caucus states, but the President is wildly popular in his birth state of Hawaii, the Wisconsin polls are tight, and Obama has leads throughout the northeast. Let's look at today's results:

Democratic Arizona Primary results, 100% counted:
Barack Obama- 68.2% (52 pledged delegates) ✓
Bernie Sanders- 30.7% (23 pledged delegates)
Others- 1.1% (0 pledged delegates)

Democratic Utah Caucuses results, 100% counted:
Bernie Sanders- 61.3% (22 pledged delegates) ✓
Barack Obama- 38.7% (13 pledged delegates)

Democratic Idaho Caucuses results, 100% counted:
Bernie Sanders- 53.8% (13 pledged delegates) ✓
Barack Obama- 45.9% (10 pledged delegates)
Others- 0.3% (0 pledged delegates)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2017, 08:42:41 AM »
« Edited: October 18, 2017, 08:45:22 AM by Parrotguy »

March 26th, 2016

Obama sours Sanders victories in Washington and Alaska, wins Hawaii

HONOLULU - Despite hopes in the Sanders campaign for a string of three victories in the caucuses today, President Obama held on in his birth state of Hawaii and won the caucuses there by a large margin. The Vermont Senator, meanwhile, won a landslide victory in Alaska and a solid one in Washington, continuing to show his strength in caucus states and with the white working class.

Once again, Sanders' margins in states where he was favoured seemed underwhelming, and it increasingly appears like his campaign is dependant on a Wisconsin victory if it is to survive. Still, Sanders proclaimed victory tonight in a Milwaukee rally, vowing to continue and saying that the string of victories in rural states prove that "forgotten Americans want a change". Both him and the President are heavily campaigning in Wisconsin now, and it looks like the primary there might be the most important contest since Super Tuesday II.

Democratic Alaska Caucuses results, 100% counted:
Bernie Sanders- 60.3% (10 pledged delegates) ✓
Barack Obama- 39.6% (6 pledged delegates)

Democratic Hawaii Caucuses results, 100% counted:
Barack Obama- 58.4% (15 pledged delegates) ✓
Bernie Sanders- 41.6% (10 pledged delegates)
Others- 0.0% (0 pledged delegates)

Democratic Idaho Caucuses results, 100% counted:
Bernie Sanders- 56.1% (57 pledged delegates) ✓
Barack Obama- 43.9% (44 pledged delegates)
Others- 0.0% (0 pledged delegates)

Finally, let's take a look at the current state of the race:

Democratic Primaries

American Samoa
Guam
Northern Mariana Islands
US Virgin Islands
Democrats Abroad

Barack Obama- 1202 pledged delegates
Bernie Sanders- 792 pledged delegates
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2017, 08:48:58 AM »

Damm this race is close but after NY Its going to be over for Sanders
Also whats the republican field looking like?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies