ME-02: Poliquin in denial
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 10:28:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ME-02: Poliquin in denial
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 27
Author Topic: ME-02: Poliquin in denial  (Read 66820 times)
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: September 14, 2018, 12:25:54 AM »

Back to Lean R with the Siena poll. That was brutal.
I always trust polls where the republicans lead by 20 points among nonwhite voters and with only 11 people beneath the age of 30 polled

In fairness the district is 95% white and the median aged person is 45 per census data.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #351 on: September 14, 2018, 12:55:50 AM »

Back to Lean R with the Siena poll. That was brutal.
I always trust polls where the republicans lead by 20 points among nonwhite voters and with only 11 people beneath the age of 30 polled

In fairness the district is 95% white and the median aged person is 45 per census data.
...and reality strikes again. Face it, Red/Maroon avatars, the National Dems have pissed away places like ME-02 with their elitist nonsense.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #352 on: September 14, 2018, 01:06:11 AM »

Still a Toss-Up. We should wait until the poll is at least finished, and even then, it's one data point.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #353 on: September 14, 2018, 06:38:42 PM »

I presume Golden must have been trailing by more than the 4 points he's currently trailing by when the "discussion" above took place? Or does hofoid really think that an incumbent being up 4 points in September when their party controls the White House makes them safe?
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #354 on: September 14, 2018, 06:50:34 PM »

I presume Golden must have been trailing by more than the 4 points he's currently trailing by when the "discussion" above took place? Or does hofoid really think that an incumbent being up 4 points in September when their party controls the White House makes them safe?

He was literally only down 5 LMAO.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #355 on: September 14, 2018, 07:09:00 PM »

Well, he'd probably say that if it's a Republican incumbent (especially in Wisconsin), then being down by only 4 means that they're safe. You know, elitist smug Democrats pissing on the rurals and all that.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #356 on: September 14, 2018, 07:18:52 PM »

Native Americans and refugees will be a (slightly) larger bloc than 4% of the vote, and they will not go to Poliquin by double digits.

Young people (especially around Bates College, in Golden's State House district) will also come out. They came out for a random-ass mayoral election in Lewiston last year.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #357 on: September 14, 2018, 07:28:44 PM »

Native Americans and refugees will be a (slightly) larger bloc than 4% of the vote, and they will not go to Poliquin by double digits.

Young people (especially around Bates College, in Golden's State House district) will also come out. They came out for a random-ass mayoral election in Lewiston last year.
LMAO just noticed Golden is winning independents. He's going to cruise.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #358 on: September 14, 2018, 07:32:09 PM »

Part of me doubts that there are 12% more Republicans than Democrats in ME-02, but that might just be me.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #359 on: September 14, 2018, 08:52:35 PM »

Native Americans turn out for midterms?

Also didn’t ME-2 barely vote for Medicaid expansion by 6% despite being poor/rural af in the 2017 November elections when Dems crushed across the country?
Strong Candidate
123NY
Rookie

« Reply #360 on: September 14, 2018, 09:23:09 PM »

Part of me doubts that there are 12% more Republicans than Democrats in ME-02, but that might just be me.

The party registration in the poll is R+2, which is a bit more Republican than the district as a whole (which is about tied); the R+11 figure is party ID, which is so fluid and erratic i'd either ignore it entirely or only take it with a massive grain of salt. The sample seems to be a tad too Republican, but not overwhelmingly so.
BBD
Big Bad Don

« Reply #361 on: September 14, 2018, 09:54:44 PM »

Native Americans turn out for midterms?

Also didn’t ME-2 barely vote for Medicaid expansion by 6% despite being poor/rural af in the 2017 November elections when Dems crushed across the country?

I don't think Janet Mills has made friends with some of the tribes up there. I don't see how Natives+refugess could amount to more than 4% of the vote. Heck, 4% might be a stretch. What is there to excite them, unless Jared Golden is actively trying to make inroads with them?

As for Medicaid expansion, 6% isn't too shabby...turnout wasn't too great, I assume. Obama walloped Romney by 8% in ME-02 back in 2012.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #362 on: September 14, 2018, 11:48:05 PM »

I'm curious why you're so confident that Golden is going to win. I definitely think he's a good candidate, and he'll give Poliquin his toughest challenge yet, but even if the Siena poll is problematic, the only other poll we have shows a very tight race.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #363 on: September 15, 2018, 12:52:22 AM »

I'm curious why you're so confident that Golden is going to win. I definitely think he's a good candidate, and he'll give Poliquin his toughest challenge yet, but even if the Siena poll is problematic, the only other poll we have shows a very tight race.
Bruce Poliquin is extremely shitty at politics, and Jared Golden is extremely good at politics.

Poliquin hid in a women’s restroom to avoid constituents and the press. He is woefully out of touch on bread-and-butter issues. He has no legislative accomplishments, and therefore nothing to run on.

Independents in Maine almost always break for the winner. If Poliquin is actually losing independents, and isn’t getting crossover support from Democrats (and why would he?), he is in massive trouble.
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #364 on: September 15, 2018, 11:30:05 AM »

This is a pure toss-up right now. I don't think Golden has this in the bag but I also don't read much into the New York Times poll. Golden has a far better profile than Poliquin and his clothing/optics is on point (seriously, he wears jeans and boots everywhere, not a stuffy suit and tie and he's always talking about unions and the military). He's more pro-gun than some Democrats want but that's smart as hell in this district.

He's not an avid tweeter/Facebook poster like some candidates- to some people's disappointment. The things he does post on social media are fairly generic (military, healthcare, unions) and he doesn't post anything bold or get into policy much. I'm not sure if I like that or not but it's definitely prevented the GOP from getting any "gotcha" material.

I haven't gotten a good sense of his ground game either. I just hope he has a team registering college students and getting them excited.

Outside groups really need to be spending more here attacking Poliquin. There's like 4 or 5 ads up attacking Golden. They're scared as heck of him and are trying to define him early.
Fmr. Speaker anna0kear
anna0kear
Rookie
United States

« Reply #365 on: September 15, 2018, 11:36:57 AM »

Seconded.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #366 on: September 15, 2018, 02:43:18 PM »

Yup.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #367 on: September 18, 2018, 03:31:55 PM »

Golden going negative:

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #368 on: September 18, 2018, 03:36:36 PM »

Also: lol

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #369 on: September 19, 2018, 01:23:55 PM »

Maine AFL-CIO coming through for Jared:

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #370 on: September 20, 2018, 06:19:04 PM »

So is National Nurses United:

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #371 on: September 20, 2018, 08:06:47 PM »

More Jaredposting:

This is relevant because Golden needs to do well in Hancock if he wants to win.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #372 on: September 25, 2018, 04:27:47 PM »

ME-02 caught the eye of Bloomberg (the news outlet, not the guy):

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-25/maine-house-race-tests-democrats-rural-appeal-trump-tariffs
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #373 on: September 26, 2018, 08:10:10 PM »

lol

GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #374 on: October 02, 2018, 02:46:42 PM »