Well-behaved women... : a 2020 TL
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 02:35:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Well-behaved women... : a 2020 TL
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16
Author Topic: Well-behaved women... : a 2020 TL  (Read 43655 times)
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2017, 07:40:31 PM »

So that's why Bernie won Kentucky and West Virginia. It's the only way you could get to 269.

Also, congrats President Trump.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2017, 07:42:42 PM »

So that's why Bernie won Kentucky and West Virginia. It's the only way you could get to 269.

He could've won Virginia instead, but he was even more poisonous to NoVa than Trump, and failed to get out the black vote in Southeast.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2017, 09:00:18 PM »

This fic is awesome.

Very realistic map, Kamala.  I agree, there's no way that NOVA goes for Sanders.  Sure, he keeps the gubmint jobs flowing, but the rest of his agenda wouldn't jive with suburban voters.
Burke Bro
omelott
Israel

« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2017, 10:40:52 PM »

Could you elaborate on what happened to Colorado? Sad
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2017, 10:46:46 PM »

Denver proper and Boulder vote overwhelmingly for Sanders, but the suburbs break for Trump. He wins Jefferson, Douglas, and Broomfield counties, and keeps margins tight in Adams and Arapahoe counties. Trump also runs up the score in El Paso County.

libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2017, 11:11:04 PM »

Denver proper and Boulder vote overwhelmingly for Sanders, but the suburbs break for Trump. He wins Jefferson, Douglas, and Broomfield counties, and keeps margins tight in Adams and Arapahoe counties. Trump also runs up the score in El Paso County.

So why did Nevada go for Bernie?  A surge in unionized service sector voters in Vegas?
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2017, 11:19:34 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2017, 11:25:01 PM by Kamala »

So why did Nevada go for Bernie?  A surge in unionized service sector voters in Vegas?

Yes, as well as decent performance in Washoe and a (very tight, 500 vote) victory in Nye and Mineral counties.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #82 on: September 04, 2017, 08:30:58 AM »

Could've lost Kentucky and ME-01, but won Colorado too.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #83 on: September 04, 2017, 05:37:26 PM »

Oh my god
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2017, 07:06:14 AM »

Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2017, 01:57:42 PM »

From Stefany Shaheen's autobiography, Faith, Family and the Campaign

I very clearly remember that morning, November 9th, 2016. The president was still an unknown factor, both candidates claiming victory and refusing to concede, the media scrambling to put together a program on one of the biggest electoral events in history.

But in Portsmouth, everything stood still.

To my surprise, and to many others', New Hampshire had vote for Donald Trump. The margin was small, of course, but it felt as if, for the first time, I didn't know my home. A state that willingly voted for President Obama twice - hell, it even voted for John Kerry of all people - and was widely known for its libertarian streak, its rugged identity, its defiance of authority, for some reason voted for the authoritarian tyrant.

Of course, there was a ray of hope. My good friend, Governor Maggie Hassan, managed to unseat Senator Ayotte despite the state casting its votes for Trump. Maggie and I went back for a couple years. She's always been a sweetheart - a woman I was proud to call my friend. In fact, the only reason I didn't run for anything in 2016 was her - she was dead set on becoming Senator, so I offered to help her instead.

My other friend, Collin, was running for governor. I actually met him when he was just a little baby, 22 years old, as he was working as consultant Mom hired during her first senate campaign. And then, fifteen years later, he had not only become an Executive Councillor, he became the nominee for Governor. And it was really quite funny - the whole election was a little battle between our two houses - the Shaheens and their friends against the Sununus. Of course, I also knew Chris, from the days he tried to flirt with me... yes, we even dated for a bit, but I'll spare the details.

It was clear during election night that Chris prevailed. Of course, I was devastated - it was the only governor's mansion the Democrats lost that night - and Collin was too. Before this election, it was nearly twenty years of Democrats, except for a brief two-year break by Governor Benson, at Bridges House.

I went to sleep, or at least did the best I could. I was restless for the whole night, tossing and turning in my bed. Finally, when morning arrived, I made a decision.

I called up Mike Vlacich, Mom's 2014 campaign manager. Without introduction, for Mike knew me, I said just a few simple words.

"I'm in for 2018."

Delaware
John Carney - 60.3%

Carl Bonini - 37.9%

Indiana
John Gregg - 50.3%

Eric Holcomb - 48.9%

Missouri
Chris Koster - 52.1%

Eric Greitens - 46.8%

Montana
Gov. Steve Bullock - 56.2%

Greg Gianforte - 40.3%

New Hampshire
Chris Sununu - 49.8%

Collin van Ostern - 47.1%

North Carolina
Roy Cooper - 50.1%

Gov. Pat McCrory - 48.8%

North Dakota
Doug Burgum - 70.3%

Marvin Nelson - 28.4%

Oregon
Gov. Kate Brown - 56.0%

Bud Pierce - 43.1%

Utah
Gov. Gary Herbert - 66.6%

Mike Weinholtz - 30.9%

Vermont
Terry Bouricius - 53.4%

Phil Scott - 46.6%

Washington
Gov. Jay Inslee - 59.3%

Phil Bryant - 39.5%

West Virginia
Jim Justice - 53.4%

Bill Cole - 41.3%
Charlotte Pritt - 5.3%
Hoosier_Nick
Nicholas_Roberts
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -7.22

« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2017, 02:17:00 PM »

At least John Gregg is going to win in this TL
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2017, 06:05:01 PM »

At least John Gregg is going to win in this TL
We'll probably get Pete in 2024 down in the statehouse, especially if Trump wins in 2020.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2017, 09:50:58 PM »

Rebecca
December 11th, 2016

Little-known by people outside her state, Rebecca Kleefisch has just inherited a mess. Of course, she was only acting governor, but considering how closely linked she is to Governor Scott Walker, any mess he makes is a mess of hers.

With the presidency tied, the balance shifts to Congress. The balance of the Senate was still unresolved - Mike Lee had won the Utah recount and John Kennedy defeated Caroline Fayard in the Louisiana runoff, while the results of the Wisconsin election had gone to the courts. At 50 Democrats and 49 Republicans, the court's decision could change not only senatorial politics for the next two years, it could also change who is selected to be Vice President.

Russ Feingold lost by 89 votes to incumbent Ron Johnson - as the official tally stated.

That lefty just won't accept the results. Typical lib!

Feingold, however, filed a lawsuit against Governor Walker for tampering with voting hours in Madison and Milwaukee, as well as possibly engaging in election fraud by enforcing different ID standards in different parts of the state.

Feingold v. Walker was now making its way up to the Supreme Court, the second time in twenty years that SCOTUS has to decide an election, this time questioning whether Walker violated the Equal Protection clause of the 14th amendment by engaging in election manipulation in Democratic-leaning areas.

They just can't seem to accept that they've lost, can they?

Walker took a leave of absence as the case progressed, leaving Rebecca in charge. But mostly, of course, this was a vanity position. He'd be back before the new year... right?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2017, 09:57:06 PM »

Holy s*()!
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2017, 09:22:04 AM »

I know the whole schtick of this thread is based on the Beyoncé song "Run the World," but I don't get how Koster won by 6 while Kander still loses in this timeline. Especially since Sanders did so much better than Clinton in Missouri.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2017, 10:06:16 AM »

I know the whole schtick of this thread is based on the Beyoncé song "Run the World," but I don't get how Koster won by 6 while Kander still loses in this timeline. Especially since Sanders did so much better than Clinton in Missouri.

Basically, in my head, the idea is that Kander ran on a platform very similar to Bernie, and Blunt was effective in tying him to the top of the ticket. Koster ran far to the right of Kander and Sanders, effectively triangulating a la Bill Clinton.

I mean, Koster was a Republican until just a few years ago.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2017, 06:34:23 PM »

Basically, in my head, the idea is that Kander ran on a platform very similar to Bernie, and Blunt was effective in tying him to the top of the ticket. Koster ran far to the right of Kander and Sanders, effectively triangulating a la Bill Clinton.

I mean, Koster was a Republican until just a few years ago.

Do you ever plan on releasing a margins list? For example, Virginia had to be one Trump's narrowest wins [effectively his Michigan or Pennsylvania OTL] and I imagine Kentucky had to be really close for Sanders [effectively Hillary's NH or Minnesota]
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2017, 03:54:03 PM »

Dianne
January 3rd, 2017

The new year had come and gone, and the 115th Congress was finally seated. The fate of Feingold v. Walker was still up in the air, but the Supreme Court was expected to announce a decision by the end of the week - which will coincide with the Congress voting on who will become President.

However, for now, the Senate was composed of 50 Democrats and Democratic-caucusing Independents and 49 Republicans - meaning that, temporarily, Democrats held an absolute majority. And so, Chuck Schumer was elected Majority Leader, which meant that Dianne became the Chairperson of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

A couple days beforehand, Dianne had called President Obama regarding the nomination of Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court.

"You know, Barack, we do have the votes. We could quickly force Merrick through the committee and onto the floor in a day or two. He's already been grilled by the media, everything, you know? Just appoint him now during recess, and we'll put his confirmation first thing on the agenda.

I mean, we could always take a bigger risk and choose a justice who'll be more liberal, like Sri or Paul or Ketanji. But it'd feel awful to promise Merrick a seat for so long and not give it to him. Your call."

Obama did end up appointing Garland during the recess, a controversial move that many conservative media outlets called "dictatorial" and "evidence of Sharia law."

The Democrats on the Committee asked few questions, and even the Republicans saw the confirmation of Garland as inevitable.

By January 5th, the final vote had come - the fastest confirmation in history. Republicans feared that their state delegations in the House wouldn't be loyal and, for whatever reason, vote for Bernie. It would only take a few lone representatives to flip the balance, thanks to the amount of small states represented by Republicans. Thus, Merrick Garland was bound to be better than whoever Sanders nominates, and, of course, there was the whole Trump ordeal. He could act like a normal Republican, or he could go completely off the rails, nominating people like Ivanka or Sarah Palin or, who knows, stage a SCOTUS Apprentice show to select the winner.

The vote came down relatively uninterestingly - 61 in favor, 38 against. All the Democrats voted for Garland, as well as Murkowski, Collins, McCain, Cassidy, Heller, Burr, Hoeven, Portman, Corker, Hatch, and Capito.

In the evening, as Democrats were celebrating Obama's last hurrah, the Supreme Court released its ruling (one that Garland had recused himself from) regarding Feingold v. Walker.

I better not see RoJo's stupid face in my Senate ever again.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2017, 11:18:50 PM »

P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2017, 02:24:49 AM »

Crazy
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #96 on: September 08, 2017, 06:59:46 AM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ROJO MUST BE SMITED
You don't see any blue avatars now
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2017, 07:42:18 AM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ROJO MUST BE SMITED
(reserved for Feingod pic. Will add once I'm out of school and/or someone sends it to me)
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #98 on: September 08, 2017, 04:12:57 PM »

Cathy
January 6th, 2017

Being the Chair of the House Republican Conference, it was important that Cathy Rodgers helped keep all of the Republican delegations in line for the Presidential vote. Since each state had 1 vote, it meant a Republican victory was likely. However, stranger things - like election night - have happened before.

After a week's worth of whipping votes, it was finally time to read the votes.

"With a vote of 5-1 and one abstention, the Alabama delegation's vote goes to Donald Trump.

With a vote of 1-0, the Alaska delegation's vote goes to Donald Trump.

With a vote of 5-4, the Arizona delegation's vote goes to Donald Trump.

With a vote of 4-0, the Arkansas delegation's vote goes to Donald Trump.

With a vote of 40-12 and two abstentions, the California delegation's vote goes to Bernie Sanders.

With a vote of 4-3, the Colorado delegation's vote goes to Donald Trump.

With a vote of 5-0, the Connecticut delegation's vote goes to Bernie Sanders."

So far, so good. Some abstentions, but that's alright.

"With a vote of 1-0, the Delaware delegation's vote goes to Bernie Sanders.

With a vote of 14-13, the Florida delegation's vote goes to Donald Trump."

Okay, okay... Carlos and Ileana defected, but at least Florida still goes to us.

"With a vote of 10-4, the Georgia delegation's vote goes to Donald Trump.

With a vote of 2-0, the Hawaii delegation's vote goes to Bernie Sanders.

With a vote of 2-0, the Idaho delegation's vote goes to Donald Trump.

With a vote of 13-5, the Illinois delegation's vote goes to Bernie Sanders."

Huh... I'm surprised Adam and Pete vote for Bernie. I bet they'll regret it.

"With a vote of 7-2, the Indiana delegation's vote goes to Donald Trump.

With a vote of 2-2, the Iowa delegation throws away its vote.

With a vote of 4-0, the Kansas delegation's vote goes to Donald Trump.

With a vote of 5-1, the Kentucky delegation's vote goes to Donald Trump.

With a vote of 5-1, the Louisiana delegation's vote goes to Donald Trump.

With a vote of 2-0, the Maine delegation's vote goes to Bernie Sanders.

With a vote of 7-1, the Maryland delegation's vote goes to Bernie Sanders.

With a vote of 9-0, the Massachusetts delegation's vote goes to Bernie Sanders.

With a vote of 8-6, the Michigan delegation's vote goes to Donald Trump.

With a vote of 6-2, the Minnesota delegation's vote goes to Bernie Sanders.

With a vote of 3-1, the Mississippi delegation's vote goes to Donald Trump."

Alright... 14 Trump - 9 Bernie... A little over halfway there.

"With a vote of 6-2, the Missouri delegation's vote goes to Donald Trump.

With a vote of 1-0, the Montana delegation's vote goes to Donald Trump.

With a vote of 3-0, the Nebraska delegation's vote goes to Donald Trump.

With a vote of 3-1, the Nevada delegation's vote goes to Bernie Sanders.

With a vote of 2-0, the New Hampshire delegation's vote goes to Bernie Sanders.

With a vote of 7-5, the New Jersey delegation's vote goes to Bernie Sanders.

With a vote of 2-1, the New Mexico delegation's vote goes to Bernie Sanders.

With a vote of 22-5, the New York delegation's vote goes to Bernie Sanders.

With a vote of 10-3, the North Carolina delegation's vote goes to Donald Trump.

With a vote of 1-0, the North Dakota delegation's vote goes to Donald Trump.

With a vote of 12-4, the Ohio delegation's vote goes to Donald Trump.

With a vote of 5-0, the Oklahoma delegation's vote goes to Donald Trump.

With a vote of 4-1, the Oregon delegation's vote goes to Bernie Sanders."

21 states for Trump... just need 5 more.

"With a vote of 12-6, the Pennsylvania delegation's vote goes to Donald Trump.

With a vote of 2-0, the Rhode Island delegation's vote goes to Bernie Sanders.

With a vote of 6-1, the South Carolina delegation's vote goes to Donald Trump.

With a vote of 1-0, the South Dakota delegation's vote goes to Donald Trump.

With a vote of 7-2, the Tennessee delegation's vote goes to Donald Trump.

With a vote of 25-11, the Texas delegation's vote goes to Donald Trump.

Donald Trump is elected President of the United States by a majority of the state delegations in the house."

I knew this day would come. Now it's on to the Senate.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #99 on: September 08, 2017, 04:26:24 PM »

Is the PV count still 50.3 - 46.9, or is the final count different? Hopefully Repubs face a lot of blowback for this...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies